The best promo of all time????

Sting when he turned his back on wcw and resurrected his career. Another classIc. He had his back 2 camera whole time and gave imo best promo of his career. Paul heyman and jerry lawler on raw when ecw stars surrounded da ring. Foley charlatain promo during his feud w/terry funk. Vince russo shoot on Hogan.

Savage at WM8. He did such an amazing job making that feud seem legitimately personal with Flair. His promos before and after the match were money.

1. De Generation X impersonates the Nation was funny as hell. I remember that one distinctively.

2. The Rock insulting promo's concerning Billy Gunn in 1999.

3. Arn Anderson had some great promos. His work in WCW in the 90's involving the Horsemen were very moving and effective.

Jake Roberts pre-match promo at Wrestlemania 6 was in my opinion the best promo I've ever heard. In 30 seconds he transformed a filler match into the most emotionally charged match on the card. And when Jake failed to win, you could feel the disappointment in that arena through your tv set. And that let down moment turned into a grand moment of triumph when Jake delivered a post match DDT and then stuffed the Million Dollar Man's money down his throat. Without the promo before this would have meant nothing. It wasn't a pipe bomb or a shoot or anything like that. It was an extremely effective wrestling promo. It was perfectly crafted and Jake's delivery was flawless. No matter where it ranks in most people's minds this will always be my favorite promo of all time.

Brets Hart heel turn on Raw will forever be my absolute favorite. He wasnt the greatest on the mic...but he hit this one out of the park. So much emotion spilling out of the tv screen...it was a work of art.

"The American wrestling fans...from coast to coast..can KISS MY ASS!!"

Nice thread, plenty of worthy mentions...
For me it will always be Dusty's "hard times". Not really the "change the landscape of wrestling" type promo like austin and later punk had but for me it's the best promo for connecting with the fans ever hands down.

[youtube]CXa0-SOr9Rc[/youtube]

Has everything, Punk on his best times, Rock with Cena roast and Cena with perfectly explaining why he is like that with "Too PG, modern day Hulk Hogan, I could increase my work rate, I could add to 5 moves of doom, maybe let my heel persona shine through but will never win over those people" speech. Even Punk burning HHH with that "straight to DVD" burn...

I can't think of a single bad Paul Heyman promo, he is easily the best talker on WWE TV today. Jake Roberts promos are among the best ever. Randy Savage was great, pretty much every Macho Man promo up until 1994 was absolute gold. Bret snapping on Vince after the cage match is amazing, especially since "The Hitman" usually wasn't a great promo. Piper has cut some classic promos in his day. I would say a majority of the impersonation promos (ex: Midget Bret Hart, DX parodies the nation, Edge parodies Ric Flair, HBK parodies Hulk Hogan, etc.) are easy contender's for best promo ever. But off the top of my head my top 5 are:

5.) Shawn Michaels owns Montreals: Just awesome. Probably HBK's best promo if you don't count him kicking Jannetty in the face a promo.
4.) Ric Flair's Wrestlemania XXIV strategy: "To be the man... WOOOOO!!!". Easy, simple & to the point. I'm so glad Ric hasn't wrestled again in the WWE because I consider WM 24 to be his last real match.
3.) The Rock impersonates his Hell in a Cell opponents: Just hilarious. Probably the best promo to show the impecable timing & mic skills of Dwayne.
2.) CM Punk's "Pipebomb": It is THEE promo of the modern era. One thing I rate a promo by is how memorable it was. Did I remember any of it word for word the next day & stuff like that. Well for being a rather long promo, I had this whole thing stuck in my head for weeks & weeks.
1.) Austin 3:16: Do I even have to explain this one? If there has ever been a better promo than this then I don't think I have seen it.

1.) "Austin 3:16 says I just kicked your ass." - It was revolutionary, bold and set the tone for a generation to come. "Nuff said.
2.) "As far as I'm concerned, all this crap in this ring represents these fans out here. For two years brother! For two years, I held my head high. I did everything for the charities. I did everything for the kids. And the reception I got when came out here, you fans can stick it brother. Because if it wasn't for Hulk Hogan, you people wouldn't be here. If it wasn't for Hulk Hogan, Eric Bischoff would still be selling meat from a truck in Minneapolis. And if it wasn't for Hulk Hogan, all of these "Johnny come latelys" that you see out here wrestling wouldn't be here. I was selling the world out brother while they were bumming gas to put in their car to get to high school. So the way it is now brother, with Hulk Hogan and the New World Organization of wrestling brother, me and the new blood by my side. Whatcha gonna do when the New World Order runs wild on you? Whatcha gonna do?" - Hulk Hogan turning heel and joining the NWO. This comes a very close second to Austin's revolutionary promo, but ranks slightly lower due to the ultimate watering down of the product. Austin managed to keep his edge throughout the years, while Hogan sold out and turned into a caricature of himself.
3.) "John Cena, while you lay there hopefully as uncomfortable as you possibly can be, I want you to listen to me. I want you to digest this because before I leave in three weeks with your WWE Championship, I have a lot of things I want to get off my chest. I don't hate you, John. I don't even dislike you. I do like you; I like you a hell lot more than I like most people in the back. I hate this idea that you're the best...because you're not. I'm the best. I'm the best in the world. There's one thing that you're better at than I am, and that's kissing Vince McMahon's ass. You're as good at kissing Vince's ass as Hulk Hogan was. I don't know if you're as good as Dwayne though—he's a pretty good ass-kisser, always was and still is. [Turns to camera and waves] Whoops, I'm breaking the fourth wall.
I am the best wrestler in the world. I've been the best ever since day one when I walked into this company, and I've been vilified and hated since that day because Paul Heyman saw something in me that nobody else wanted to admit. That's right, I'm a Paul Heyman guy. You know who else was a Paul Heyman guy? Brock Lesnar, and he split just like I'm splitting, but the biggest difference between me and Brock is I'm going to leave with the WWE Championship.
I've grabbed so many of Vincent K. McMahon's imaginary brass rings that it's finally dawned on me that they're just that—they're completely imaginary. The only thing that's real is me, and the fact that day in and day out, for almost six years, I've proved to everybody in the world that I'm the best on this microphone, in that ring, even at commentary! Nobody can touch me! And yet no matter how many times I prove it, I'm not on your lovely little collector cups, I'm not on the cover of the program, I'm barely promoted, I don't get to be in movies, I'm certainly not on any crappy show on the USA Network, I'm not on the poster of WrestleMania, I'm not on the signature that's produced at the start of the show! I'm not on Conan O'Brien, I'm not on Jimmy Fallon, but the fact of the matter is I should be; and trust me, this isn't sour grapes, but the fact that Dwayne is in the main event of WrestleMania next year and I'm not makes me sick!
[Turns to the fans] Oh, hey, let me get something straight. Those of you who are cheering me right now, you are just the biggest part of me leaving as anything else, because you're the ones that are sipping out of those collector cups right now; you're the ones that buy those programs that my face isn't on the cover of, and then at 5:00 in the morning at the airport, you try and shove it in my face so you can get an autograph and try to sell it on eBay because you're too lazy to go get a real job!
I'm leaving with the WWE Championship on July 17, and hell, who knows? Maybe I'll go defend it in New Japan Pro Wrestling. Maybe I'll go back to Ring of Honor. [Waves to camera] Hey, Colt Cabana, how you doing? The reason I'm leaving is you people because after I'm gone, you're still gonna pour money into this company. I'm just a spoke on the wheel, the wheel's gonna keep turning and I understand that. But Vince McMahon's gonna make money despite himself. He's a millionaire who should be a billionaire. You know why he's not a billionaire? It's 'cause he surrounds himself with glad-handing, nonsensical douchebag yes-men like John Laurinaitis who's gonna tell him everything that he wants to hear. And I'd like to think that maybe this company will be better after Vince McMahon's dead, but the fact is it's gonna get taken over by his idiotic daughter and his doofus son-in-law and the rest of his stupid family! Let me tell you a personal story about Vince McMahon. All right. We're doing this whole bullying campaign.."
- CM Punk's infamous Pipe Bomb. This promo is the best piece of mic work in the modern age of wrestling, bar none. For the first time in years, this promo legitimized wrestling once again - a feat which seemed impossible given the state of the industry over the years. It generated a huge buzz, and it caught the entire wrestling community off guard. More to the point, it caught the Powers that Be off guard, as one of their underlings had gone off the reservation. McMahon had no idea what to do about Punk, but with all the interest he caused, the only thing he could do was to somehow get him on contract again. Punk went on to take the title in one of Cena's greatest matches of his career, and nobody knew what he was going to do with it. Best moment in the modern age for sure.

OP is a pg kid.

If you talk best promos you need to look if it changed wrestling.

Andre The Giant at Pipers Pit. Lead up to the biggest match in WWE infront of 93000.

Hogans heel turn promo(1996) changed wrestling forever. That was a game-changer and a real shoot.

People cried, people throwed stuff in.

I have never seen anything like that in my entire life. Incredible.

[youtube]NHIrO9TE5a0[/youtube]

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back