Who Are Your Favorite Promo Cutters of All Time?

SavageTaker

Everybody Has A Price!
I am going to choose Randy Savage as one of my favorite promo cutters of all time. His promos were just flat out awesome and some of the most epic I have ever seen. There wasn't one thing I can think of that I didn't like about them because they were so great in my opinion. He kept you intrigued throughout the whole promo and they were always fun to see.

In my opinion he was one of the most innovative men when it came to promos. Everyone else would just go and stand next to Gene Okerlund (or whoever the interviewer was at the moment) and say their thing. But not Randy Savage. He used to bring different items to his promo and he would compare his opponents (and at times himself) to whatever item he brought. Two examples of this is 2 promos I saw from him today on his dvd that recently came out.

The first promo was Nothing but Garbage. He brought a garbage bin and comparatively speaking according to him was that Tito Santana was nothing but garbage. He brought in a garbage bin to compare Tito Santana to garbage. I recommend to anyone who hasn't seen this promo to go and youtube it because it was not only great but it was actually funny too in my opinion.

The other promo from the dvd was the Cream of the Crop promo. Another great one too in my opinion. In this one he was actually comparing himself and called himself the cream of the crop if you were to speak comparatively. This one had him take out a few cream things. I'm not exactly sure what they were but apparently they had something to do with cream.

Those 2 were great promos but another one he had that was good was the One Cool Dude promo on WCW before one of his matches with Ric Flair on an episode of Nitro. In my opinion he had good intensity and the promo was good all around. I tried finding a video of it on youtube but I couldn't find anything. Either ways if someone finds it I recommend you give it a look because in my opinion it was very good.

Another thing I liked about his promos was the he was a little bit crazy when he was doing them. An example of this is that he had told Gene Okerlund he isn't allowed to ask Miss.Elizabeth any questions. Well in of the promos when he was getting interviewed he asked Miss.Elizabeth to come in and ask Mean Gene if he wanted to ask her a question. Gene asked Savage if he could and Savage agreed. But right before he asked her the question Randy interrupted and made her leave because he saw a flower on Mean Gene's suit pocket and he thought he was going to give it to her. I may be alone here but I always like it when I see him doing promos on different dvd's and videos and he was off his rocker.

Who Are Your Favorite Promo Cutters of All Time?

Definately "Macho Man" Randy Savage and The Rock had the best promos of all time in the business nobody can top them so far. orton is getting there but is in no way shape or form in that league yet.

The best, natural promo cutters in my opinion? Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock, Chris Jericho (pre-suit & tie), Randy Savage and Ric Flair. They just always seemed like naturals and could put their own spin on things, as if they are not just reading off a script.

Guys like Hogan and Cena have charisma but they're paper cutouts. You can tell they're scripted. I know all are but their promos are so friendly when they're faces or ridiculously negative (ie: modern heel Jericho, Orton and Edge.)

Heel Rock in 2003 was the shit. That's how a smug movie star would act. Stone Cold has always been gold. Heel Jericho upon his debut and then face Jericho in 2000 was outstanding. He acted virtually the same but was boo'ed and then cheered. Ric Flair loves the business and it just comes through every time he talks. He's so energetic that it doesn't matter if his script is shit. Savage was just one of a kind. Seriously, the guy's voice alone and the zaney stuff they wrote for him went hand in hand. He too loved the business.

Sting nowadays is really good because it's a man with principles talking, not a man trying to act like The Crow.

oh haha i totally forgot about Chris Jericho
wheather he is heel or face his promos are the best. he very easily does his promos to the best of his ability. Jericho is currently the best Mic worker in the wwe.
you may hate him but you gotta admit hes the best or at least one of the best wwe has now.

Always loved Jericho & Rock. But also I never get tired of Ron Simmons. I wanna see Ron Simmons & Teddy Long hang out together - the 2 coolest old farts you could want at your party. And Lance Storm working minimum wage to earn his spot back was great. Finally my hero The Hurricane, "what's up wit that?!" His recent return via match commentary was my favorite part of Friday night. Stand back!

The Rock hands down!
His promos speak for themselves.. he literally had the crowd in the palm of his hand each and every time he spoke on the mic!

The crowd reacted best when the Rock spoke.. he was so witty..his promos weren't just awesome, but they flowed.. it was as if he had a rhythm when he spoke..and that is unparalleled if you ask me!

He is the best man on the mic in wrestling history! He would just stop, breathe and look into the air and the ENTIRE ARENA would chant his name!

It was truly poetry..

Second place would have to be Hogan from the 80's and 90's! His promos just had so much energy...they were unreal! You would watch them and just sit back with goosebumps and scream when he spoke!

Jake the Snake Roberts, Roddy Piper, Randy Savage and Steve Austin i would say are tied at third! They were awesome in their own way..Snake was cool, calm, collected and very very serious and assertive.

Savage had that voice and tone where you just enjoyed listening to him no matter what he said.

Austin was a ruthless SOB that said whatever he wanted whenever he wanted, and said it with a badass attitude! His Austin 3:16 promo at King of the Ring put him on the map!

Roddy Piper was just plain crazy to listen to..again full of energy..and he spoke in that funny/silly voice whenever he ridiculed anyone!

Of the non wrestlers..Bobby Heenan was phenomenal..the most witty talker of all time! He had a comeback for absolutely anything and for anyone..

Jim Cornette was also very good on the mic, as is Santino Marella, Edge and Vicky Guererro!

Eddie Guerrero was also awesome on the mic! He had that Spanish accent with the energy..when he won the WWE title and began cutting promos, i was very impressed!

Im very surprised that no one is yet to mention Mick Foley or Raven, these guys promos in ECW were excellent and they still continue to cut good promos to this day. I would proberly say them 2, along with Jericho and The Rock are the best 4 men in the business to ever touch the mic.

100% positively Mick Foley. Mick can draw out such emotions in his promos that make him so brilliant to listen to. Watch any Cactus Jack promo from 1995. in fact watch this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ8AtL5_LRw&feature=related it's absoloutely my favourite promo ever.

Foley promos don't look like he's just read them off a script or he's just talked them over with the boss. He sells himself so incredibly well.

The Rock, but I wont go into detail.

Scott Steiner cracks me up, especially when he's ripping into Joe. John Cena I'll give a mention, I've said before that what he's scripted to say can be outright cringeworthy but he still makes it sound better than it should, almost believable.

Hogan face or heel, some of Warrior's stuff was good, especially the later stuff where he was less crazy, more insulting but still Warrior. JBL was a fucking beast, made me really hate him, it's what made his title reign good. Outside of Rocky I dont have one I can settle on but they are all worth a mention.

come on people nobody was better then these 3.
1 The Rock is without question the very best there is all his promos delivered the message being sent across. my favorite one from the Rock was The Big Slow or when he made fun of Booker T and the announcers. great every time.
2 Austin this man could deliver for having such a foul mouth. put him and The Rock in the same promo and not one wrestler can beat the two of them hands down.
3 Mic Foley this man flat out knows how to entertain a crowd and draw them all the time. he has that voice that says lets Bull. his promos with HHH or The rock or recently Edge were above greatness. it makes me wonder why Vince let go of one of the best mic talkers ever.
4 Randy just misses the cut but man could he entertain you. what a guy to bring in props to sell to the crowd what he thinks of his opponents.

Merry Christmas Yokozuna. ho.... ho.......ho.
Undertaker is one of the best promo cutters I've seen. His promos are dark and eerie and kind of sadistic. They play to his character great and make his opponents fear him. Weather it be using caskets, rolling his eyes back, or just his presence at the top of a stage. The Undertaker gets his point across as a true badass and when he makes a promo it's usualy memorable.

No Million Dollar Man? Really now? Lol. In my opinion he was as perfect as one could be cutting a promo. He hardly ever made a mistake, he never missed a beat, he destroyed everyone, and kept the crowd in the palm of his hand.

Of course Austin, Rock, Hogan, Flair, Savage, Piper, Jake.

If I had to list 3 that I just CAN'T fathom never hearing another one of their promos....give me Savage, Flair and Jake. Each one of those 3 brought something VERY unique that to this day hasn't been copied. Especially Jake. I feel he was probably the very best at selling his character. Him and Flair are neck and neck.

Bret had some good heel promos. Shawn has been great, HHH was fantastic during his heel days.

I have already talked about jericho, rock and savage having good mic skills, but what about scott hall with his cuban-american gimmick he had back in the federation. i was watching a few of his promos and he sold his gimmick 100%. and he was pretty good in the ring. throughout his career the biggest thing he accomplished was the wcw world war 3 1997 match, which was very huge, but no world championships.... im kindof going way of topic here.
also Kevin Nash in TNA has some great mic skills too.:twocents:

My top pick for greatest promo cutter is The American Dream Dusty Rhodes, he connected to his fans like no other if you don't believe me look no further than the Hard Times promo he did back in the early 80's. My best line from that promo is " When you've been working for a company for 20 years and then they tell you you're no longer needed they pat you on the back give you a gold watch ship you out now that's hard times" I know that I quoted wrong but if you watched it you would get it.

My personal top is tied between Jake Roberts and Raven. I've always been drawn to the darker side of things and these two brought that to the limelight with the way they did their work. These two literally tried to make every promo, even if the person they were facing was someone who didn't matter, be one that impacted you in some way. What's best is you don't even need to get into specific storylines with them. Just randomly choose a promo and watch it. Gold every time.

I also feel Arn Anderson was a tad bit underrated. He completely sold himself on being a pure wrestler who could out wrestle anyone. Best part was that for the most part, he was right.

Also how can we have no mention of Mr. Perfect yet? Or Bobby Heenan? Again two men who were, IMO, gold on the mic. Perfect held the confidence and cockiness in his voice that just pushed it over the edge that he believed he was truly perfect. Another guy who, like Arn Anderson, made me believe how great a wrestler he was by both getting it done in the ring and outside in front of the camera.

Granted it wasn't quite that way in the A.W.A., but you could see the confidence building.

As for Heenan... need I say more.

Umm WOOW...

#1: Christian!
The dude is absolute GOLD on the mic. Have any of you seen his promos? There amazing any one remember that Christmas wish promo? And his wish was to look like a world heavy weight champion? Lmao classic! What about that promo he cut talking about his peeps in Canada and how he'd beat Booker, Angle, and Joe to become the TNA World champ in Toronto (where I live :p)! And what about his promos in WWE any one remember the promo from 2005 where Christian said he wanted to get drafted to Smackdown, because Smackdown needed a Canadian? Lol That was Instantly Classic! And what about his debut on ECW? LMFAO 'THUKERING THUKKATASH'... Genius. And if you didn't know, now you know! ;)

#2: OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH YEAH 'Macho Man' Randy Savage!
My god, this guy is the god of insanity and I love him for that (no homo)! He was insane and amazing his promos were captivating, 'nuff said!

#3: Y2J Chris Jericho!
Heel or face, when its Chris it really doesn't matter! He's SOOOOO funny as a face, and as a heel! His new heel gimmick he's just a serious and cold man! And he's playing his character SOOO WELL! Forever ahyatollah of rock n' rollah!

Well yeah :p

Only one person mentioned Ric Flair? He basically put promos on the map. I know it was done before him, but who do you really remember before him? Y2J,Rock, Stone Cold are all up there. Go watch any OLD ECW promos. All of those guys had passion pouring out.

the rock was the best. no doubt about it. he had the audience hanging on every word and finishing his sentences. he was a bit cliche and used catchphrases a lot but it wporked well and got him super over. his promos were the highlight of the show for me. very entertaining.

randy orton is progressing well. he is a believable physco heel and his promos suit that,. some think he is a little montone but i disagre i think hes good and can only improve

My top five in no particular order

Ric Flair: He practically invented the promo!

Arn Anderson: You believed everything he said was 100% true...not clownish or scripted (The Rock, Hogan)

Jake the Snake Roberts: Increadible talent on the mic

Bobby Heenan: A true genious. NO non wrestler holds a candle to him on the mic.

Raven: His promos in ECW sent a chill down your spine.

My favourite promo cutter would be Arn Anderson, even though Flair was the leader of the Horsemen, Arn in my opinion was the key member of the stable, his promos were deep and honest and I can´t remember that he ever screwed up his lines or anythinh of that kind.
His promos were emotional or straight to the point, I consider him one of the best.

Jake The Snake Roberts: His promos were so chilling and believable that they could often give you goosebumps. It came more natural to him than anyone else in wrestling history and that is a major reason why so many followed his every word.

Brian Pillman: Has there ever been anyone more unpredictable and psychotic during a wrestling promo? Brian was also extremely articulate and creative. In many ways he reminds me of the Joker in a sense where anarchy and corruption rules above all. In the world he exposed through his promos, Brian Pillman was king and no one will ever be able to top him in that aspect.

Rock (hands down)...Austin (close 2nd)...Half Jericho (half, not so much)...Ted #1...DX, corny but good...earlier Cena, new stuff is weak...Orton is good, could be a lot better...Undertaker, amazing he doesn't even need to talk...Flair, emotionally insane and fun to watch...Foley (some of em')...JBL, not bad, great announcer...HBK (all depends)...Nash, so collected, yet you can't help but listen...Vince (some of em'...the guy is out of his mind)...Angle (no...i'm not kidding)...that's a good list for now

I wanna see a back and forth with Edge vs Christian right now in their careers. That would be great.

The Rock no questions asked. The Rock in 03 was the blueprint of what a heel promo should be like. The crowd hated him and respected him. The Rock's the greatest ever.

Oh yeah Chritstian in 05 was gold too. I hope he turns heel and continues with that.

Rapping Cena was great but then he started to get watered down a little when he turned face and then all the rapping went away after he joined Raw.

Santino was also pretty solid but he kind of fell off.

i can't believe noone hardly has mentioned edge? yeah people hate him now but back when he was a face some of his promos were absolutely priceless! he rivaled anything rock or jericho or anyone else at that time did. when he had his feud with xpac and cut him off saying hey xpac the 90's called they want their gimmick back! this was back before that became one of the most overused expressions ever and the timing of it was immaculate. anything he did with christian and also when he was on his own as a face. all of the other guys deserve their place too that were mentioned but just for the fact that noone has extolled his virtues and he deserves as much as anyone to be there for his promoing skills i have to say edge was always one of my favorites. even the dressing down he gave vickie on raw had me laughing and cheering and that's something that's been sorely lacking in their shows lately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back