The Introduction Of A LGBT Character

Y 2 Jake

Slightly Autistic
I read that it's something WWE might look into doing in the future. It'd be interesting to see how they'd promote one in this day an age. Also, could they book them as anything less than a well promoted, mid card babyface?

Wrestling has had flamboyantly gay characters before. I'd imagine it'll just be more of the same here. They want to appease LGBT groups, but all they're going to do is piss them off.

And it'll be hysterical to me.

Wrestling has had flamboyantly gay characters before. I'd imagine it'll just be more of the same here. They want to appease LGBT groups, but all they're going to do is piss them off.

And it'll be hysterical to me.

I guess LGBT groups haven't been watching lately because D. Young is clearly getting pushed.

Meh, being gay doesn't really lend itself to a storyline, at least not in a way which many would not find offensive. Having a midcard babyface gay person would be no different than a midcard babyface.

I can't wait to see fans get their panties in a bunch over this.

It couldn't be more cringe-worthy than half the shit they're doing on Raw right now so I'd be willing to see what happens and how they handle such a character.

I guess LGBT groups haven't been watching lately because D. Young is clearly getting pushed.

His character isn't gay, though.

This is about adding a gay character to the show. It's gonna be some super patronizing shit. I tend to think they'll just turn Golden Truth into a love story. I mean, it would check all the SJ boxes they're looking for. Black man falls in love with white trans (insert random made up sexuality here).

So Dalton Castle/Joey Ryan for guys and fangirl era Mickie James for girls?

With or without Vince's weird sense of humor, there's no way they could pull off a transgender character. No one could. The audience would piss themselves with laughter, whether it ends up being intentionally funny or not.

They've done it before, and it was terrible. That's not to say I'm against it happening, I just don't trust WWE to not make the character have every outward 'gay' characteristic as possible, and end up alienating the fans they want to reach with this. If they have a character, who just happens to be gay without that being his only personality, go for it. But don't force some midcard guy to act as flamboyantly as possible, dress him in ridiculous 'fashion', and flirt outrageously with the straight men, and expect people to go with it.

Why am I now picturing Tyler Breeze.

With or without Vince's weird sense of humor, there's no way they could pull off a transgender character. No one could. The audience would piss themselves with laughter, whether it ends up being intentionally funny or not.

I don't think they'd dare go the trans route. There would be so many fundamental problems with a transgender character, especially in this day and age. The most obvious being putting a trans woman in the men's division and vice versa.

I don't think they'd dare go the trans route. There would be so many fundamental problems with a transgender character, especially in this day and age. The most obvious being putting a trans woman in the men's division and vice versa.

Goldust pushed these boundaries years ago.

Goldust pushed these boundaries years ago.

True, but EVERYTHING was fair game back then. You also had guys beating the ever-loving piss out of women and midgets being ridiculed for being midgets. With all the awareness today and the backlash that even the smallest of comments can get you in this era of SJW's, it would be extremely difficult for WWE to handle a trans character without getting fucking roasted by someone or other.

Just imagine that Goldust character existing today.

True, but EVERYTHING was fair game back then. You also had guys beating the ever-loving piss out of women and midgets being ridiculed for being midgets. With all the awareness today and the backlash that even the smallest of comments can get you in this era of SJW's, it would be extremely difficult for WWE to handle a trans character without getting fucking roasted by someone or other.

Just imagine that Goldust character existing today.

It's getting to the point where even if was done in the most tasteful manner possible that the social "justice" fuckwads would have a problem with it. Hell, they're even attacking each other now for various reasons.

The WWE is far better off doing whatever they're going to do and not really worrying about the backlash.

I read something I wrote a year ago, and it's one of the rare instances where I not only didn't cringe at what I wrote, but also really appreciated what I wrote.

Homosexual characters have a history of being poorly executed in the media due to a variety of factors, but mostly centred around the fact that people writing the characters do not fully understand how one would actually behave. A good example in the past is Catherine Zeta Jones's character in The Haunting remake; she essentially announced she was homo/bisexual within moments, and a lot of media productions in the 90's followed a similar trend. Recently though, there's sort of been a shift in extremes, as now, it's often tacked onto a character for no other reason but to appease the LGBT community. Not that the community doesn't deserve representation, far from it, but when it's being used as nothing else but a lazy way to identify a character, that's where I take issue.

In Kung Jin's case however, I think it's handled well. It's far from blatant and stereotypical, but it's also an important part of his character; the fact that he doesn't feel the Shaolin/WLS (I forget which now) will accept him for who he is because of his sexual preferences, without making it his sole identity. I think it's a very smart and mature execution that should alienate the least amount of fans as possible. Of course, you're still going to get homophobic bigots, but they'll attack anything slightly against their agenda in their comfort zone. I'm all for it.

The same kind of thoughts apply here.

Kane's questionable history with women makes him a prime candidate.

If they are going to do this I think in this age of trolling they should do exactly what history says they are going to do and create another Billy and Chuck with say Fandango and Breeze. Let it grow and get more ostentatious. Take the groans and negative press until things get to a head and Breezango is getting huge negative heat.

At that point you bring in Young to white knight and expose Breezango as exploitive frauds and defeat them in the ring.

From there Young goes on to be a gay character without the romantic aspect. Breeze and Fandango can feud and possibly be repackaged.

I remember Orlando Jordan in TNA and his tag team with Eric Young (I Love Tag Teaming) That was hilariously bad

Would like to see how they will make babyface character out of it. Can imagine it now, feminised man(man who talks and behave like a women) tries to get over like that with the crowd. Would get instant heat just for that, let alone if they dress him like Ric Flair or something like that.

Having a gay character could work well in the hands of competent writers. We're looking at a company that thought having Roman Reigns say suffering succotash was a good idea.

I could see a trans male to female bodybuilder body guard type like Chyna get a run.

A crossover for this person on Total Divas would probably work as well.

It's getting to the point where even if was done in the most tasteful manner possible that the social "justice" fuckwads would have a problem with it. Hell, they're even attacking each other now for various reasons.

The WWE is far better off doing whatever they're going to do and not really worrying about the backlash.

Yup, look at how many people bitch about the New Day and R-truth as modern day Minstrel Acts as if WWE should be some beacon for social justice, it's run by Trumpies for fuck's sake. It would probably behoove WWE to stay out of social issues and stick to wrasslin. I'm of the opinion most diehard fans watch pro wrestling because they like pro wrestling, not because they want the Vince Russo Jerry Springer-esque bullshit or in depth looks at societal issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back