The New Age Outlaws or the Dudley Boys?

The Outlaws or the Dudley's?

• NAO

• The Dudley's

Results are only viewable after voting.

CM Steel

A REAL American
During the start of the attitude era in the WWF the tag team of the Road Dogg Jesse James & the Bad Ass Billy Gunn better known as the New Age Outlaws were the new premier tag team in the promotion. From break-up to making-up the New Age Outlaws were a five-time tag team champions of the world now six-time tag team champs with their return to the now-WWE.

The Dudley Boys were a extreme tag team that came from Extreme Championship Wrestling in the WWF/E in the fall of '99. Bubba Ray & D-Von Dudley a whole different attitude then any other tag team during the attitude era. They've held every tag team title in wrestling at that period in wrestling history!

But in early 2000 at a WWF pay per-view. The Outlaws & the Dudley's would finally get a chance to face off for the WWF tag team title's. During the match Bubba Ray Dudley hit Billy Gunn in the arm with a lead pipe. Helping give the edge to the Dudley Boys on winning the tag team straps from the New Age Outlaws that night. But during the attitude era in the WWF, would was the better tag team? The New Age Outlaws or the Dudley Boys?

If I were to give an answer it would most likely be the Dudley Boys by a hair. I don't why. But in your opinion who was the better team?

I think he Dudley boyz were much better. They took ever match they will in to the extreme. The two made a great team. I loved watching them step into the ring and cause complete chaos. I was upset to see them eventually break up when they got to TNA. But bully Ray is the new face of TNA so I guess that increased his singles careers.

I was just making a similar thread today.

But the difference is my thread is about Dudleyz and LOD.

New Age Outlaws aren't / nor will they ever be even close to The Dudley Boyz.

IMO the greatest tag team in pro wrestling history

The NAO aren't anywhere close to the levels of the Dudleys. I can't remember any MUST SEE moments out of just Billy Gunn and Road Dogg, but the Dudleys have created so many, in the TLC match at Mania, or the TLC match at SummerSlam, or all their time in ECW, and even some memorable stuff in TNA. But other than the fact the NAO were in DX, I can't think of a good reason why they're better than the Dudleys.

I'm picking Dudley Boyz. They have unparallelled chemistry in the ring together because they've been together for so long through every promotion (ECW, WWE, TNA). They polished their personalities while in ECW and won 9 Tag Championships there before even coming to the WWE where they helped to innovate tag team matches. These guys were never known for their solo work before and after the WWE (at least not during the 2000's). Their longevity alone is what makes them the upper-hand tag team compared to the New Age Outlaws. The NAO were more of a gimmick tag team that only lasted through the Attitude Era. While they were popular, had a memorable entrance and won the Tag titles multiple times in the WWE, they never lasted. Both guys were also known for their singles runs. Oh yeah, and the fact that the New Age Outlaws didn't have a real double team finisher reduces their chance of upping the Dudley Boyz who are practically known for their Dudley Death Drop finisher (aside from their hardcore style of wrestling in general). The crowd was invested in that move and always shouted, "D-Von! Get the tables!" And if you want to carry it further? Dudley Boyz have won pretty much all the Tag Team Championships of major promotions (ECW, WWE, WCW, NWA, TNA, NJPW). If there ever was an epitome of a tag team, Dudley Boyz are it and few would deny it.

Even today, I enjoy the Old Age Outlaws, but in considering who is "better," it isn't a contest. The Dudleys were the most unique tag team in history. Plenty of acts in pro wrestling do the "crazy" routine, but the Dudleys had me almost convinced they weren't acting. Especially in ECW, where the white guy was known as "Buh Buh Ray" and wore those ridiculous glasses, I couldn't get over the sense of teamwork displayed by the two....they truly presented as "brothers with different mothers."

From their extreme antics in ECW to that insane "drop off the top rope in a sitting position, with a girl lying across your legs" thing Bubba Ray did, these guys were totally nuts. Yes, I recognize I've spoken strictly of Bubba Ray, but the fact D-Von complemented Bubba so perfectly is what made this a one-of-a-kind tag team.

I think the question is a good one, but I think its gonna get a 2 part answer.
If you look at accomplishments, title wins and such, then yes the Dudleys are the top team. They were tag champs all over the world, holding multiple titles at the same time.

However, in my opinion, the New Age Outlaws were the better performers when it came to entertainment value... To me, they had a little better mic skills (Road dogg anyways) and promo ability, as opposed to the Dudleys who just seemed as stiff in their promos and crowd engagements as Bubba was in the ring..

Just sayin..

To me, they had a little better mic skills (Road dogg anyways) and promo ability, as opposed to the Dudleys who just seemed as stiff in their promos and crowd engagements as Bubba was in the ring..

Just sayin..

I think this is purely down to NAO, at least Road Dogg, getting far more mic time and exposure during the attitude era, at least until 2000. The Dudley Boyz cut excellent promos in ECW.

NAO were a more integral part of the Attitude Era IMO, as a team they were the fourth most over act going into 1999 after Austin/Rock/Foley and DX was a main event act, but considering their careers as a whole it's got to be The Dudleyz. I think it'll be a long time before we see a tag-team stick together for as long as they did.

When you look at what the Dudleyz did in ECW and the WWF then I say they are the hands down favorite. As stated, the NAO were integral to the Attitude era, had great spots and great promos. However, the Dudleyz will go down as more influence in general, as they were integral to bringing alot of the ECW hype over.

Not one poster has answered the OP's question of " during the Attitude Era in the WWF, which team was better?"

I know this is all a matter of opinion but I think the correct answer to that question is the New Age Outlaws. We all know the Dudley's are far and ahead the most successful tag team of all-time, the only team to win every major tag title in the US but this question is talking about 1998-2000 (arguably 2001). No team matched the charisma of the Outlaws during this time (E&C you guys were close) and no team was nearly as over as the Outlaws in 1998 and 1999. They were part of the hottest faction in WWE history and provided a lot of energy for that faction, posters on this site even voted Road Dogg as the 3rd best DX member (behind HBK & HHH) on a thread I made here not too long ago.

The Dudleys were amazing, and they really stepped it up in 2000-2001 to make many memorable matches alongside the Hardy's and E&C, but I just don't think their 2000 & 2001 beat NAO's 1998 and 1999. As heels the NAO got the crowd to pop just as loud as they did for top guys like Rock and Austin, look back at the videos on YouTube. The Dudley's may have had the crowd pop just as loud during a match, but that was largely in part to Jeff Hardy bringing out a 15 ft. ladder or Edge spearing someone through multiple tables.

In the AE it is hands down the NAO. They were a huge part of the whole era. Like SJ said they got pops that rivaled the bigger guys. They were the hottest tag team through that whole era.

With respect to the NAO,this isn't even close.. The dudleys by far were the best. The dudleys were involved in the greatest tag match at Summerslam 2000! ECW tag team champions 8x WWE tag team champions 10x! They have what,23 total reigns together as a tag team.. Just the feuds they had,Hardy Boys,Edge n christian NAO list goes on and on!

They are one of a kind tag team! DEVONNNNNNNNNNNN Get the Tables!! Epic stuff

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back