The New Sex Education

LSN80

King Of The Ring
Last summer, I wrote about parents who spanked their daughter to death in the name of God. If possible, a woman in Australia may have stooped to a newer low.

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/story/2012/01/10/a-mothers-betrayal-abuse-daughter-sex-court/

In what she deemed "sex education", a 37 year old mother of four in Australia three times raped her own daughter, all-the-while recording said events on her mobile phone. The mother's explanation for her actions was that her 11 yeqar old daughter was asking too many questions regarding sex. Apparently, the mother felt the best possible way to educate her daughter was through "show" rather then "tell".To the best of my knowledge, details of the exact nature of the event were withheld, and perhaps that's for the best. What is known is that along with the physical ape, the mother forced her daughter to watch cyber-sex tapes she had made with a man she had met online.

Judge John Robertson, who presided over the case, was harsh in his wording with regards to the woman's actions. However, his actions seem to indicate otherwise. While initially giving the woman a four year sentence, the judge commuted the sentence to one year, with three years probation. Because the woman has already served 243 days in jail, she is now unbelievably eligible for release in just 122 days. For what it's worth, here are the judge's comments regarding the woman's actions:

From the start, you characterised your behaviour as some form of bizarre sex education with the child which did not involve sexual gratification from you. Through your selfish criminal conduct, she has deprived her daughter of the right to a wholesome and loving relationship with her mother. And while sexual offences against children by their own mothers are rare, the community acting through the courts should denounce this shocking conduct with a significant punishment.

You know, I agree with everything the judge said. Which is why I'm utterly baffled as to the sentencing she received. When I consider this case, I think about my three week old daughter, and someone giving her sex education of the like. The things I would do to this person, male or female, are beyond description here. We have a judge condemning her actions as deplorable, needing to be met with severe punishment, and this woman is getting out of jail in four months? Why not grant her full custody of her children again while he's at it? Perhaps it was the reports from the court pswychologist that influenced his ruling:

Her husband was 12 years her senior and she had limited knowledge of appropriate sexual boundaries.Because she became involved at such a young age(14), she became obsessed with sex and her life was in chaos.But given the Department of Child Safety is now involved, I'm satisfied she has a low risk of reoffending.

Screw that, man. I don't care if a 23 hour guard is placed in front of her daughters, sexual deviants don't change, and most find some way to re-offend, even if it's not in a physical way. If this woman is granted visitation rights of any kind, trouble is bound to follow. While nothing has been confirmed, the idea of this woman going anywhere near any children, nevermind her own, gives me chills. A case such as this makes the idea of forced sterility seem like a good thing. I'm sickened as I write about this, so I'll turn this over to you:

What do you think would have been an appropriate sentence for this woman? Is the sentence she received appropriate?

Should this woman be allowed to see her children ever again?

[Do you believe sexual deviants are capable of changing? Why or why not?

The questions are just here to serve as a launching point for discussion. Any other discussion of this story is welcome and encouraged.

What do you think would have been an appropriate sentence for this woman? Is the sentence she received appropriate?

Her official sentence does seem pretty lenient. I can't quite come to terms with what a good punishment would be, but the fact is that the woman has demonstrated that she isn't a very good judge of what is appropriate and inappropriate, and her bad choices could have very bad long lasting effects. At the very least, she should be allowed supervised visitation with her daughter, because frankly she just can't make reasonable decisions.

I suppose if I had to write a sentence here that would be binding, this would be it: 1,500 hours community service, supervised visitation with her daughter, a follow-up mental examination that would determine any possible changes in the mother that would suggest that she would be fit to become a full-time parent again.

I think so, but not under supervised conditions, or perhaps a scenario where she could visit her mother for a few hours but she wouldn't stay over there - something of the sort. I think it's damaging to remove a daughter from her mother, and a balance can be struck between not tearing the two apart, and not allowing a serious risk of reoffending on the part of the mother.

Of course, sexual deviants are treated all the time with therapy and medication - you can't say they never rehabilitate. They're difficult to rehabilitate, and I think there's a responsibility to err on side of caution until you're sure, but they can be cured or at least in control of their urges.

Disgusting story btw.

At least we should be thankful that she has been sentenced at all. There have been many cases where justice has evaded the guilty party. She committed a traumatic crime on her own daughter and at needs to serve time in prison, no matter how many days it maybe.

To me this what I call a loose-loose situation:

If she is allowed to see her child again, or even as go as far as to actively take part in the life of the kid it's still not a good thing. For one the event most probalby traumatically affected her daughter and she will not forget it. This doesn't preclude a loving relationship between them but she is never going to fully remove the "sex education" from her head.

If she is not allowed to re-enter her life, the child will have to live with the thought that she wasn't worth it to her mother. She may not fully be able to comprehend or cope the with the situation after years.

I would say let them re-unite, and give her one more chance.

Like anyone they are capable of changing of course. Maybe counseling or therapy could assist the healing process. Regardless there is always room for improvement in one's body and mind, one as much needed as this women's is undoubtedly feasible. If people can get over drug, suicide, or mental disorders then sexual problems can be altered for the better.

What do you think would have been an appropriate sentence for this woman?

It's the age-old question: how much punishment is enough? There is always disagreement; whatever punishment is meted out, people close to the perpetrator often feel the sentence was too severe, while victims, their families, and other advocates feel a stiffer sentence should have been set.

Believe me, I'm not taking up for this woman, but how much time in jail would be sufficient? If the courts want to make sure she can't do this to another child, wouldn't it be prudent to keep her in jail for the rest of her life? They're not going to do that, are they?

Okay, if you're not putting them away for good, how do we deem how much time imprisoned is viable? Will she be taught a better lesson if she's in the slammer for 4 years, rather than 2? Will she be less of a threat to society if we give her 10 years? Who knows?

Consider: If you're caught driving drunk, they often give you 30 days. Given the damage to life and property you could have caused by breaking this law, how can 30 days be enough? After one month, you can get behind the wheel of a car and do the same thing again, right? That's not good, is it? Yet, what do we give the drunken fool? Life in prison? Taking away his driver's license is a good idea, but that doesn't guarantee he won't get behind the wheel, does it?

The matter of primary importance concerning this child rapist is that she not have the opportunity to do this again to her kids.....and that, apparently, has been taken care of. So.........good.

But the damage is already done and having her children taken away will hopefully be punishment enough......far more than extending her prison term would do. In other words, I'd love to see her spend more time in jail, just for the grim pleasure of keeping her in misery for what she did......but the important thing is that she's prevented from doing the same thing again, no matter how long she actually has to spend behind bars.

I don't think the sentence she received is appropiate at all, but I honestly don't know what would make an appropiate sentence. What she did is downright disturbing and I don't know what would drive someone in a normal state of mind to do something like that. Even if they were to put her in jail for 10 years or longer, it's not going to make things okay and it's not going to make all of the psychological trauma her daughter will probably endure any better. I don't think there is any fair punishment this woman could receive because either ways, it's her daughter who ends up suffering much more than she is.

As much as I want to say no, anyone who does this to their child should not deserve to see them, I just can't agree with that sentiment 100%.

What she did was wrong, and like I said in my response to the first question, nothing will ever make things okay because it's her daughter who will probably end up suffering much more. However, I just can't say she shouldn't see her child ever again because some people do change. Will she? I don't have the slightest idea, but if she does and is "rehabilitated," then I think she should have the right to see her but not in the same capacity as she did previously.

I'm no expert, but I'm sure this poor child is going to be traumatized as it is and there's no reason to make things worse. If the child is ready to see her mom once again and it's not going to cause her any further damager than what's been done already, then I say she should see her again.

I think they definitely are, but I don't have an exact reason as to why. If people who murder others or people who commit other terrible crimes are able to change, then I don't see why a sexual deviant wouldn't be able to. I think with the right help and guidance, most people can change just about anything if they're commited enough. If a sexual deviant isn't commited enough, then no I don't think they'll be able to change because it shows they don't want to change or aren't willing to put forth the effort to change.

This actually made me feel physically sick. How could anyone do something like that? Absolutely disgusting.

To me, the sentence is a joke. I honestly don't know what an appropriate sentence is, but the one she has eventually recieved seems, to me, pathetic. She has done irrepairable damage to the relationship between her and her daughter, and to her daughter in general. I don't think there is a sentence that would be right for this in all honesty, whatever the length it would get questioned severely.

Does she deserve to see the child again. No. Flat out no, in my opinion. Anyone who does that to their own flesh and blood deserves very little if you ask me. However, that being said...she is her mother. So, whether she deserves to see her child or not, she does have the right to. That said, it should only ever be supervised; the child should never live with her again. wen the child reaches an indepentant age, the ball is in her court, but until that time, those are my opinions.

As for sexual deviants, everyone can change. But it's all subject to the individual and the motivation. This particular woman will most likely never do this agian, but can you ever be sure? So whilst I'd go out on a limb and say yeah, people like her can change, I would say that even if they appear to have changed, how sure can you be about it if they have?

Apologies if my views seem very strong, but this did provoke a strong reaction form me and made me feel physically ill.

The sentence the woman received was not appropriate at all. What she did will mentally scar her daughter for the rest of her life. There is no justifying what she did, she clearly was out of her mind. I feel sorry for her daughter and cannot fathom how a mother could do this to her own child. While I do not think she will ever change, she should be allowed to see her children if there is some type of supervision there as well. That way she is able to see them but they are still safe. For the safety of the children, they should not be alone with her because she cannot be trusted. At the same time though she should be given a chance to earn back their trust. If she blows that opportunity too, THEN she should never be allowed to see them again. People ARE capable of change and deserve a second chance, but given the way she was described in the report she does not seem like the type who would embrace change easily at this point.

It seems ludicrous to me that she should get such a light sentence when you take into account the trauma inflicted on this little girl and how this trauma is going to affect her for years to come, possibly even for the rest of her life. It's one thing to be the victim of a sexual assault from a stranger, that's bad enough, but from one's own parent creates a whole different set of problems on top of the assault itself.

This might sound like an oversimplification but I truly do think that one reason why she got such a light sentence was because of her gender. If it'd been her father doing this to her, I have no doubt that he'd have gotten a much harsher sentence in which he'd have to spend a considerable amount of time in jail. Why do I think that? Because I've seen it before. For instance, we've all heard stories of male teachers having sexual relationships with underage female students and have gotten significant prison time upon being caught & convicted. When it comes to female teachers & male students, there seems to be a very different view point. It's often treated by some as if it's simply not a big deal, especially if the female teacher happens to be physically attractive.

There was a case that always stuck with me. I can't remember most of the details, only that it happened, I think, in the mid 2000s in Florida. A very attractive blonde female teacher had been having an affair with an underage student. I recall seeing photos of her that she'd sent to him in a bikini, hearing taped phone conversations between them, etc, and people acted as though it wasn't a big deal in some ways. I even recall her attorney saying that she was "too pretty to go to prison". I swear that he actually said that. Now, apparently to spare the underage boy potentially more trauma, the DA cut a deal in which she would be confined to, I think, 3 years on house arrest and 2 years of parole afterward. She's lucky she had a pretty face, blonde hair, a nice pair of C cups and no penis. If it'd been a male perp & a female victim, I doubt there'd be very many attempts by a DA at sparing the victim more potential trauma.

Some people don't think sex crimes are as severe as murder but I disagree. I've seen the aftermath too many times of victims of sexual assault. I have a friend that was raped on New Year's 2000 by someone she'd known all her life. She has PTSD, suffers flashbacks occassionally, suffered kidney trauma during the assault that bothers her to this day and her desire to have anything romatically to do with a man has been obliterated. What he did was as bad as killing her, he condemned her to a life of loneliness & mistrust. She's attempted suicide 3 times that I'm aware of, all of which were legitimate attempts in which she didn't think anyone would be around to prevent her from doing it.

As for this particular mother, for lack of a better term, I say do exactly with her what would most likely be done with a man in this situation, namely get some serious prison time. Maybe even life with the possibility of parole after 20 years.

I think 5-10 years sentence with NO chance for parole is sufficient in regards to the crime. What she did was pretty horrible and in all likely traumatized her child for the rest of her life. I don't care what reasoning she had behind what she did, it doesn't change the fact that she raped her daughter and what she did to her daughter, not to mention she made her daughter watch sex tapes of her, that's just fucked up. She needs to realize the severity of what she did and what she did to her daughter and needs to be severely punished 1 year (with chance for parole after 4 months) is bullshit, she should be locked up for a significant amount of time.

Not after what she did. I don't think she should have any right to ever see her kid again. She probably screwed her little girl up for the rest of her life, I don't care if she thinks she was "teaching" her kid something (which shows you how fucked up she really is) she should lose all rights to ever see her again.

Do you believe sexual deviants are capable of changing? Why or why not?

I believe everyone is capable of changing. No matter what a person has done in their life they always have it in them to make changes if they want to. That's the big thing there, if she WANTS to change then she can most certainly change. It always comes from self acceptance of what you did was wrong and wanting to turn it around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back