The official AEW thread

Psykohurricane55

Staff member
Now that double or nothing as done for. I think it's time for a official AEW thread on this board. So if you have any thought on the AEW product and the future of the product, post them here.

I’m really excited for the future of AEW. Right now they have nowhere to go but up and I’m really intrigued to know what their TV show will be like.

With the next PPV All Out, I would love to see NWA Champion Nick Aldis Return for a third match with Cody. I’d put it in a cage this time. I actually hope AEW can work with the NWA and get this done.

Just wanted to vant a little bit about AEW. After 2 shows, i'm already losing interest in this product i don't see how in the hell this promotion will be able to be competition with wwe like they dream of being.

They don't know how to do a preshow correctly as they do matches and segment that are 10 times worst then anything wwe as produce. It's like they secretly hired vince russo to booked the preshow. The production work is also really bad for a company that has as much money as wwe. Nothing feel special which is one of the problem of current wrestling scene. Nothing against moxley and jericho, but they aren't able to get anybody else over. The commentary team is awful.

Their a rumor going around that wwe official are thinking that AEW will implode within a few years and looking at how they started, i wouldn't be surprise if it happens. After 2 shows, they have a product that will only attract their current fanbase and let not forget the whole unprotected steel chair shot.

Finally, if they think that they can go to TNT with this product and that they will tolerate this type of product for a long time, they have another thing coming. AEW want to be a alternative to what the current wrestling landscape is giving and instead they are just doing the same crap we have seen on the indies for years now and that won't help them grow. The more they advance, the more i think wwe doesn't have anything to worry about and in five years, they will be at the same level as ROH,MLW and IMPACT.

I think the proof will be there once they start their weekly offering.
They're on a steep learning curve but it will be important for the powers that be to acknowledge that their product has a long way to go before being excellent and therefore continue to drive for improvement.

Give me a show like Double or Nothing over anything I've seen from the WWE main roster the past two years as I actually had fun watching it. Production needs to step it up and they can't present stuff like 80 percent of the crap that was on the preshow. MJF will be the breakout star of the show.

Just wondering something. Did AEW secretly hired Vince Russo without telling anybody because some of the booking on both pre show and even on both event felt like something russo would booked.

I was really excited for AEW when I first heard about it. A new company that was not just rehashing washed up over the hill WWE guys, but using indie guys (and gals) who could still bring it. I missed Double or Nothing, but just finished watching Fyter Fest. While some of the matches were decent there were some cornball things in my opinion. First of all I wasn't keen on the whole Young Bucks street fighter gimmick for the six man match, but they went over the top when the Bucks and Kenny Omega did the "hardoken" move against the Lucha Brotherhood and Laredo Kid. Just dumb. The other thing I don't get is with Jon Moxley/Dean Ambrose. He left WWE because he didn't like his story lines. So he goes to AEW so he can be Mick Foley? I don't get it. The jury is still out for me on AEW but so far I am not overly impressed. I know talent feel stifled and watered down in WWE, and for the most part they are (even in NXT), but I'm not sure about the level of chemistry among the talent in AEW yet. Lots of botched spots. Like I said, I'm willing to watch more because I think that's what wrestling needs, and it was good to hear Jim Ross on the play by play again

I was really excited for AEW when I first heard about it. A new company that was not just rehashing washed up over the hill WWE guys, but using indie guys (and gals) who could still bring it. I missed Double or Nothing, but just finished watching Fyter Fest. While some of the matches were decent there were some cornball things in my opinion. First of all I wasn't keen on the whole Young Bucks street fighter gimmick for the six man match, but they went over the top when the Bucks and Kenny Omega did the "hardoken" move against the Lucha Brotherhood and Laredo Kid. Just dumb. The other thing I don't get is with Jon Moxley/Dean Ambrose. He left WWE because he didn't like his story lines. So he goes to AEW so he can be Mick Foley? I don't get it. The jury is still out for me on AEW but so far I am not overly impressed. I know talent feel stifled and watered down in WWE, and for the most part they are (even in NXT), but I'm not sure about the level of chemistry among the talent in AEW yet. Lots of botched spots. Like I said, I'm willing to watch more because I think that's what wrestling needs, and it was good to hear Jim Ross on the play by play again

I would have to disagree with some of your opinions in your post here.

"First of all I wasn't keen on the whole Young Bucks street fighter gimmick for the six man match, but they went over the top when the Bucks and Kenny Omega did the "hardoken" move against the Lucha Brotherhood and Laredo Kid. Just dumb"

The whole street fighter gear fit in brilliantly with the gaming theme of the night, and looked amazing. And as for the Hadouken it was a nice entertaining moment by all 6 competitors.

"The other thing I don't get is with Jon Moxley/Dean Ambrose. He left WWE because he didn't like his story lines. So he goes to AEW so he can be Mick Foley? I don't get it"

If you didn't know who Jon Moxley was before WWE then you really need to do some research, he was a deathmatch king and this was referenced throughout the entire match, he isn't a Mick Foley copy, it is just an updated version of his character pre WWE.

As for the botched spots that you mentioned, honestly mistakes happen sometimes with timing of certain moves. If you think you can do better then by all means go and train to be a professional wrestler and see how difficult it is.

That's why i think moxley was so unhappy in wwe, because he tried to push for this more hardcore character throughout his wwe run and this type of character isn't going to happen in the corporate structure of wwe. Moxley is a hardcore wrestler, that's what he like to do and good for him, that's not my cup of tea but some fans love that style.

As for the young bucks/omega street fighter stuff. AEW as been saying they want to have a more serious/sport oriented product, yet they pull this crap that's the complete opposite of what they are advertising. Nothing against them as i didn't see any of the previous work before AEW, but if that's they idea of being a more serious sport oriented presentation, they failed as this crap is even worst then what wwe does on a regular bases.

That's why i think moxley was so unhappy in wwe, because he tried to push for this more hardcore character throughout his wwe run and this type of character isn't going to happen in the corporate structure of wwe. Moxley is a hardcore wrestler, that's what he like to do and good for him, that's not my cup of tea but some fans love that style.

As for the young bucks/omega street fighter stuff. AEW as been saying they want to have a more serious/sport oriented product, yet they pull this crap that's the complete opposite of what they are advertising. Nothing against them as i didn't see any of the previous work before AEW, but if that's they idea of being a more serious sport oriented presentation, they failed as this crap is even worst then what wwe does on a regular bases.

It was a freaking video game convention, the Street Fight stuff fits right up with the damn theme...

It was a freaking video game convention, the Street Fight stuff fits right up with the damn theme...

Yeah, i get that, but all they've been talking about since the inception is how they wanted to be a alternative to wwe and be a more serious sport oriented product. How is doing videogames type gimmick and moves different from WWE?

It's not, where doing the same crappy sports entertainment stuff that wwe would have done in the same situation. AEW need to figure out what they want to be. Do they want to be a more serious old school wrestling company where the wrestling business is taken seriously or do they want to be, like cornette would say, a outlaw mid show where they don't care about respecting what wrestling is about and just have comedy spots for the sake of doing comedy spots.

For me personally, while i don't mind comedy, i'm not going to tune in the AEW to see bad comedy, i've got wwe for that. What i want out of AEW is to see a complete different product from wwe and i'm not getting that with them. In fact, i rather watch MLW right now then AEW because at less MLW knowns has a completly different product and don't rely on cheap comedy spot to please their audience.

Dude you clearly didn't get a few things about Fyter Fest. It was in conjunction with a gaming convention, hence the slightly different presentation. You speak as someone who hasn't even watched Double or Nothing, which was a million miles different and better. This was a FREE streaming event, not a PPV and a little bit of fun, whilst they work towards a weekly TV show.

If you genuinely wish to give it a chance, you HAVE to watch Double or Nothing, there were TWO 5* matches on that card alone. No messing around, serious work by the Bucks and the Cody v Dustin is one of the best matches I've seen for storytelling. I'm afraid you're so used to the sanitised version of the product WWE puts out you don't know what you're really viewing. You need to watch Being the Elite and the Road to Nothing shows on YouTube to gain some context and also catch up on some of the wrestlers and characters. Come back after you've watched a few of those AND Double or Nothing, will be interested to hear your view then.

Dude you clearly didn't get a few things about Fyter Fest. It was in conjunction with a gaming convention, hence the slightly different presentation. You speak as someone who hasn't even watched Double or Nothing, which was a million miles different and better. This was a FREE streaming event, not a PPV and a little bit of fun, whilst they work towards a weekly TV show.

If you genuinely wish to give it a chance, you HAVE to watch Double or Nothing, there were TWO 5* matches on that card alone. No messing around, serious work by the Bucks and the Cody v Dustin is one of the best matches I've seen for storytelling. I'm afraid you're so used to the sanitised version of the product WWE puts out you don't know what you're really viewing. You need to watch Being the Elite and the Road to Nothing shows on YouTube to gain some context and also catch up on some of the wrestlers and characters. Come back after you've watched a few of those AND Double or Nothing, will be interested to hear your view then.

I actually watch Double or nothing a week after the event and it didn't impress me that much. The Cody vs Dustin match was the only match i truly enjoyed because of the great storytelling they had in the match. The young bucks didn't impress me at double or nothing and they really didn't empress me at fyter fest. Omega vs Jericho was good, Not as good as their match in new japan but still good. Everything else made me think that they needed to find what they truly want to be. Do they want to be serious wrestling and a alternative to WWE or do they want to be a ''mud show'' They can't be both. The biggest problem with Both Double or Nothing and Fyter fest is the crappy preshow.

The Preshow is the more important think to bring in new fans since it's free. You look at both pre show and what did they give the newer fans to made them watch the show. Nothing, At double or nothing, the first thing you saw was the crappy comedy battle royal and at fyter fest the whole preshow was awful especially with the backstage comedy segment where Omega was making fun of fyre fest. It give the wrong idea to new fans.

I Might be old school but all i want is a wrestling product that actually take it seriously and don't do this crappy comedy stuff that a lot of the modern wrestling scene seem to do. I was seriously hyped for AEW and i might wait to see how the tv show turns out before completly turning my back on AEW but after 2 events, i'm already very disappointed by AEW as i was promise something by the AEW brass and i'm getting a complete different product which by the way made me turn my back on modern wrestling in the first place.

I enjoyed Fyter Fest, I think the Street Fighter stuff was done cause it was co-produced with the gaming thing.

The buy in a side from the first match which was good wasn’t great. But when we got to the main show I don’t think they really put a foot wrong. No it didn't have the same impact as DoN but the matches were damn good again. Really looking forward to Fight for the Fallen but I think things will really escalate at All Out.

I wonder what if the Jacksonville Jaguars owner bought WCW back in 01 . I’m confused why now? WWE has the monopoly and wrestling popularity has been declining for years. Cable subscriptions has been on the decline as well. Heck even WWE is having their issues. And why would The Turners Network sell a major named company like WCW and not give TNA, ROH, or NJPW a shot but give a new company AEW with no history a shot?

I think one serious problem that AEW will face in the future is the fact that they are going to place so much emphasis on wins and losses. I know a lot of people say that's a great idea. But trust me, it's going to lead to a lot of complaints down the road. People already complain about who wins and loses even when it doesn't matter. Just wait till it does.
They complain when someone wins too much. (Shoved down our throats)
They complain when a guy loses too much (They're burying him)
They complain when a guy wins about as much as he loses. (50-50 booking. You can't build stars that way)
Can you honestly tell me that fans won't be upset when say their favourite superstar gets less wins then someone that they hate?

The thing that i'm more scared off his how the people in charge (cody,omega & the bucks) will put themselves over the up and comings wrestlers that they are trying to make stars. Also, how long before moxley's hardcore stick gets old or he just decided to leave since he can opt out of his contract next year.

But at the same time, i don't see AEW fans complains about wins and loss because it's not wwe and it's guys that they actually like.

That the funny thing with the IWC, if they don't like somebody and he gets a megapush, the narrative from fans and "reporters" is that he's been shoved down our throat (reigns, cena as recent examples) but when it's somebody they loved, they say nothing (kofi kingston, becky lynch as recent wwe examples) so i don't see this being a problem in AEW, since their fans loves everybody in the company.

I wonder what if the Jacksonville Jaguars owner bought WCW back in 01 . I’m confused why now? WWE has the monopoly and wrestling popularity has been declining for years. Cable subscriptions has been on the decline as well. Heck even WWE is having their issues. And why would The Turners Network sell a major named company like WCW and not give TNA, ROH, or NJPW a shot but give a new company AEW with no history a shot?

To quick answer these.....

1. Shad Khan(owner of the Jags) isn't a wrestling fan. His son Tony is. Tony would have been in Jr. High or high school in 2001. He wouldn't be investing in a wrestling company for his son when hes like 13 or 14
2. 20 years ago Turner wanted out of the wrestling game. The people running Turner then are not the people running Turner now. Those guys like Brad Siegel and Jamie Kellner are long gone. If you are deciding in the last year or so to get into the wrestling game and you're a big time network like TNT, what would make a failed product like Impact appealing? Why would ROH be appealing when the stars that gave it major rub the last couple years are gone, and they are owned by one of your competitors in Tribune? Now you look over here and see those big stars that left ROH, and you see the big star from Japan the last 2 or 3 years, and they're partnered up with the family that owns two pro sports teams. If you want to start fresh why not start fresh with a brand new product?

I thought last night was a step back in the right direction. The preshow was easily better than what they did at DON and Fyter. It still could use work but it seemed like they made an effort to focus on reparing it. The card had its bumps. Brandi should not be allowed on a main card match, she just wreaks of inexperienced. The triple threat tag match was slogging at times. Maybe its because Angelico and Evans do nothing for me. Luchasauras would be better fit with a more realistic character in my opinion. Outside of that and a couple other minor things I saw I thought it was solid for what essentially is an old school type "not quite a real ppv but still a big show" type of event. I really hope they keep doing these in between major ppvs. Reminds me of the old Clash of Champions shows WCW would do on TBS in between ppvs.
Also liked the matches at the top of the card. Real solid outings by everybody. I'm sure people will gripe that the Bucks won again, but I think they're gonna eat the loss at All Out in the ladder match

Whilst I'm not a fan of Omega, The Bucks, Angelico & Evans, The Dark Order or Excalibur wearing a mask in the booth...wtf? (I know who he is, his background, his achievements etc), I'm liking most of what I've seen from AEW so far. Whoever is under the Luchsauras mask is a great wrestler with a silly gimmick but I like the whole "boy and his dinosaur" angle, it's entertaining. I'm loving the slow boil to a simmer between Cody and Spears, I'm loving watching Dustin Rhodes be Dustin again. I'm loving seeing Moxley free from the circus, I like Darby Allin and his gimmick, I was a big fan of both MJF and Adam Page before AEW, womens roster is good. Bea Priestly is quality, Britt Baker is a star. Apart from the 9 things I don't like, AEW on the whole, has been very entertaining and enjoyable thus far.

After three events, my one big problem with AEW is that instead of being a true alternative to WWE, they just go back and do the same crap WWE does but even worst.

They said that AEW was going to be a serious product where win and lost manner but you got crap like the libarians.

Fight for the fallen and some of fyter fest was the perfect example of what not to do when you want to be in the big leagues. Fight for the fallen especially was a horrible show. A three man booth with one guy that a human gimmick, one guy that shouldn't be there and one guy that is trying his best to be professional but sadly he's past his best days.

They went almost 4 hours long if you don't count the pre show. The main matches were way too long and made no sense especially the main event.

The booking of the hangman page/jericho feud made no sense. You could save at less 20 to 25 minutes if you hangman page's match was 10 minutes instead of 20, then have jericho attack him do his promo and then after jericho finish is promo, page attack him and you do a big pull apart instead.

Love how cornette is calling joey janella and kenny omega so i will use these name when mentioning them from now on. I don't understand why jelly janella is still employed by any pro wrestling company especially one thay want to be competition to wwe and i can't stand kenny olivier. Nothing against the guy but i always felt like he's the reason why so many fans don't take the business seriously. He never took the business seriously and always considered it as art, which it isn't, and that's why so many newer fans and wrestlers have this thinking.

Finally, 2 last complaint, first why was the tag main event was 30 minutes long and who was the heels and who was the faces. Really, you do a heat spot on the rhodes, do the hot tag and then you start all over again but with the bucks, then they are all lost and just do moves to finish the match.

Finally having everybody in the ring after the match and thanking the fans after the show live. Again i know it was a charity show but you could have done that speech off air. It would have made the product look better.

For some weird reason, i don't think anybody in charge of the company knows what they are doing. The company is finance by a wrestling fan with too much money. Has one guy in cody that might have a clue what he was doing but he's influence by three guys that think that the indy style of wrestling will get over with the casual fans. The problem is that that indy stuff won't get over with casual fans. If they wanted crappy comedy and overbooked matches, they have WWE for that and i cost less to follow them.

AEW, could learn a lot from court bauer and MLW or even all the mistakes that TNA/IMPACT have done over the years. MLW, is the type of product that AEW want to be but for some reason aren't able to be. Right now, they are going for the vince russo style booking and just are going slowly in this weird wwe lite style booking which won't help them in the long run

My opinions on the improvements AEW could make are:

The production crew needs to up their game or be replaced and ppvs shortened to 3 hours as 4 will burn out a crowd, especially with the pre-show.
I’d also be tempted to switch up the commentators, I’d love Tony Sciavone or Kevin Kelly instaed of Jim Ross. He’s a legend but I think he struggles a bit nowadays.

My highlights so far are:

The sets as they’re cool and very different from the usual products on offer.

The time limit matches, something you don’t see much on western mainstream matches.

LUCHASAURUS-Man he’s so good I’m amazed I’d never really heard much of him.

MJF-He is AEW’s crown jewel at the moment. So gifted with the mic and how he carries himself as a heel.

Kylie Rae-Again I’d never heard of her before AEW but since I have I’ve had to go and check out her matches.

Tony Khans passion for wrestling. You can really see it in every interview with him. He looks so proud of everyone and you need that for morale in the locker room and to make a company work.

Overall though I’m really looking forward to All Out then to what weekly tv gives us in the fall!

My opinions on the improvements AEW could make are:

The production crew needs to up their game or be replaced and ppvs shortened to 3 hours as 4 will burn out a crowd, especially with the pre-show.
I’d also be tempted to switch up the commentators, I’d love Tony Sciavone or Kevin Kelly instaed of Jim Ross. He’s a legend but I think he struggles a bit nowadays.

My highlights so far are:

The sets as they’re cool and very different from the usual products on offer.

The time limit matches, something you don’t see much on western mainstream matches.

LUCHASAURUS-Man he’s so good I’m amazed I’d never really heard much of him.

MJF-He is AEW’s crown jewel at the moment. So gifted with the mic and how he carries himself as a heel.

Kylie Rae-Again I’d never heard of her before AEW but since I have I’ve had to go and check out her matches.

Tony Khans passion for wrestling. You can really see it in every interview with him. He looks so proud of everyone and you need that for morale in the locker room and to make a company work.

Overall though I’m really looking forward to All Out then to what weekly tv gives us in the fall!

Finally someone that gets it! Even with their shortcomings, I'm excited for their future.

So the one realization that i've gotten after watching the first 3 weeks of AEW dynamite is that they really don't care about newer fans and really want to just play to their existing audience. I'm not a huge wrestling, i really don't watch a lot of wrestling outside of WWE and sometimes IMPACT, so guys like Kenny Omega, The Young bucks and pretty much the entire roster outside of the EX-WWE and IMPACT guys are pretty foreign to me and i'm sure i'm not the only one that are discovering those guys for the first time. So it would be nice to let them cut promos to at less get a little bit of what they're characters are and at less why are they feuding with whoever they are feuding because right now i really don't care about anything on the show

In fact, I'm more into NWA Powerrr on youtube then i am into AEW dynamite reason being that i actually know who those characters are and why they are feuding and that show as been around for 2 weeks and they already made me care more about everything then AEW did in 3 weeks with a bigger budget. In fact here a example of what i'm talking about. On the second episode of NWA powerrr, They was a young wrestlers by the name of Ricky sparks. That's a guy that i've never heard of before, he was in a match with Trevor murdoch and Trevor put him over big in that match by letting him do his stuff and putting him over at the end. So ricky won the match then goes to cut a promo on the interview section, Trevor comes by, shake his hand and congratulates him before Ricky starts his promo. Then he cuts one of the best promo i've heard in a while, you would think he was a 20 years veteran by the way he cut that promo. He hit all the points he needed to hit and after the promo i knew exactly who he was and what his goal were and made me want to see more of the guy. Meanwhile in AEW, they have a bunch of unknown guys who are good wrestlers but i'm guessing can't cut a promo to save their life and after three week i couldn't care less about any of them.

If AEW wants to survive long term, they need to let fans like me in and give us a reason to cares. We couldn't care less about 5 stars wrestling matches because all we want is Characters and proper storytelling. Help us create a connection with thoses characters instead of just assuming we knows who theses wrestlers are.

Finally, I've read some of the comments that Cody made about how he wants this product to be more sports oriented, yet every week, it look more and more fake and stage, to say that even WWE is beating them at creating a more sports base product is a understatement and WWE's product as been crap. I know he doesn't want to get on their current fanbase bad side but come on man, you know better then that. Marko Stunt shouldn'T be a wrestler, sorry if i offend anybody but the guy will get hurt and it will cost AEW a lot of money when that happen. He probably the reason they lost viewers again this week because anytime you a guy like Stunt in the ring in any type of competitive situation , fans won't buy it and switch the channel. What worked on the indy's for the Indy's crowd won't work for a normal crowd and will most of the time turn people off. If they want to put guys like Stunt and cassidy in the ring, do it on the youtube show we're nobody outside your fanbase will watch it but don't put them on the main show because they will turn off fans and make your product look bad in the process. They want to be the next big thing but right now, they just another promotion like so many other that really don't get or care about pleasing the casuals and that's why they will never be competitive with WWE and why Vince, HHH and everybody around them are just laughing their ass off at AEW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back