The Puck Stops Here! Nothing But Hockey Talk

It's Damn Real!

The undisputed, undefeated TNA &
Consider this the SPAM-Friendly version of the Sports Arena NHL thread where we can discuss smaller events happening in hockey that don't necessarily require long-winded responses.

Seeing as habs thinks the Rangers overpaid defenseman Ryan McDonagh, we'll start there.

The Rangers announced yesterday they've re-signed him to a 6-year/$28.2M extension worth $4.7M in AAV. Overpaid? Not even close. In fact, he came in under market value on a contract that just ate three years of UFA eligibility for one of the games fastest rising two-way defensemen.

Comparable deals?

Roman Josi / NSH — 23 years old — 7 years, $28M ($4M AAV)
Oliver Ekman-Larsson / PHX — 21 years old — 6 years, $33M ($5.5M AAV)
Kevin Shattenkirk / STL — 24 years old — 4 years, $17M ($4.25M AAV)

What's the average between those? Right around $4.7M.

Every one of them have put up similar numbers, and McDonagh is averaging 0.4 P/G the last two seasons despite getting very little PP time — something Totorella himself said he regretted not utilizing him on more just prior to his being dismissed as head coach. In fact, only four NHL defenders had more points than him at even strength last season, and every one of them gets a load of PP time. Who are they? Kris Letang (25), Keith Yandle (20), Dustin Byfuglien and Victor Hedman (18).

Add PP time to McDonagh and you're gonna turn a 0.4 P/G defender into a 0.5 or 0.6 P/G player.

Oh, and just to throw some gas on this fire, McDonagh has drawn comparisons to Scott Niedermayer since his draft year. Big, strong and smooth skater with excellent gap control, high hockey IQ and NHL caliber speed.

Wanna see what they look like up against one another at the same ages?

Niedermayer
94-95 — Age 22 — 4-15-19 in 48 GP (0.4 P/G)
95-96 — Age 23 — 8-25-33 in 79 GP (0.4 P/G)
96-97 — Age 24 — 5-30-35 in 81 GP (0.4 P/G)

McDonagh
10-11 — Age 22 — 1-8-9 in 40 GP (0.2 P/G)
11-12 — Age 23 — 7-25-32 in 82 GP (0.4 P/G)
12-13 — Age 24 — 4-15-19 in 47 GP (0.4 P/G)

--

And Niedermayers' numbers include PP time, including over 5:00 a game by the 97-98 season.

I hate the fact that my Wings decided to sign Alfredsson to a 1 yr. $5.5 mil. deal, especially since it looks like we're going to lose Brunner, a guy who had a great rookie season & looks to be a promising star for years to come. The fact that Detroit constantly feels the need to go & sign these old vets for to short term deals with big money just seems stupid to me. I would rather see my team focus more & locking up young guys like Brunner, than bring in another past his prime vet who's sole reason for signing with the Wings is just to get a ring before calling it a career.

I'd also really like to see Detroit focus on fixing their defense & giving Howard a littel help back there, the massive hole left when Lidstrom retired was very clear to see last year, & so far this year I have yet to see them make a move to improve there.

As for the Wild, it seems those big contracts they gave out last year to Parise & Suter may already be coming back to haunt them a little, the team has almost no money to sign any new players, & from what I understand the front office is having to become very creative with their roster moves.

:confused:

Someone's gonna have to explain to me why the Wings are losing Brunner after his rookie year. All the other major sports I follow rookies usually are under contract 4-5-6 years. How's he able to go after one?

I hate the fact that my Wings decided to sign Alfredsson to a 1 yr. $5.5 mil. deal, especially since it looks like we're going to lose Brunner, a guy who had a great rookie season & looks to be a promising star for years to come. The fact that Detroit constantly feels the need to go & sign these old vets for to short term deals with big money just seems stupid to me. I would rather see my team focus more & locking up young guys like Brunner, than bring in another past his prime vet who's sole reason for signing with the Wings is just to get a ring before calling it a career.

I'd also really like to see Detroit focus on fixing their defense & giving Howard a littel help back there, the massive hole left when Lidstrom retired was very clear to see last year, & so far this year I have yet to see them make a move to improve there.

As for the Wild, it seems those big contracts they gave out last year to Parise & Suter may already be coming back to haunt them a little, the team has almost no money to sign any new players, & from what I understand the front office is having to become very creative with their roster moves.

See below on Brunner.

Agree that they need to address the defense, though. Still surprised they didn't make a harder run at Bouwmeester, frankly.

Someone's gonna have to explain to me why the Wings are losing Brunner after his rookie year. All the other major sports I follow rookies usually are under contract 4-5-6 years. How's he able to go after one?

Because he wants $3.5M a year on a long-term contract, and the Wings aren't sold that one overseas season of success with Zetta and a shortened lockout year's worth with him are enough evidence to support that kind of contract.

Fact is, as it stands, Brunner can be a solid young scorer for them, or the next Ville Leino. Frankly, I don't blame them for letting him walk. He needs to sign a prove it contract before I give him a long-term deal.

Hockey can rarely be compared to other sports, least of all with contracts for rookies.

His contract is up, Wings offered him a deal, but they were off by a about a $1 Mil. Holland offered him a deal worth about $2.5 Mil. but Brunner is wanting something closer to $3-3.5 mil. Holland wants to sign him but doesn't feel he's worth that much, so Brunner has opted to test the FA market. Personally I think they should just give him the money, you would think there would be a way for them to give him deal where his base salary is around $2.5 mil. & the other mil. is offered through bonuses.

But shouldn't he have signed a longer term contract before his rookie year? Or is the NHL rookie contract deals different from other leagues?

His contract is up, Wings offered him a deal, but they were off by a about a $1 Mil. Holland offered him a deal worth about $2.5 Mil. but Brunner is wanting something closer to $3-3.5 mil. Holland wants to sign him but doesn't feel he's worth that much, so Brunner has opted to test the FA market. Personally I think they should just give him the money, you would think there would be a way for them to give him deal where his base salary is around $2.5 mil. & the other mil. is offered through bonuses.

It's still counted against the cap. The bonuses can simply roll over into the next season, is the only difference.

Well I kinda understand the Kings trading away Bernier. I am gonna miss Rob Scuderi though, but hopefully the changes to the roster brings improvements.

I will definitely participating in this thread a lot more after my move back o the states is completely over (friday) as I am an avid hockey fan and a Penguins fan. However I just wanted to say that I an unimpressed by Philly this offseason. There's a lot of reasons why but the glaring issue is a 4 year contract for Lecavalier. I'm not too sure on how bright that was. Maybe a two year max for him but now you'd better hope he does well or this could look very stupid.

Five-years for Lecavalier, actually, but the issue with him isn't points. He's been putting up 0.8 P/G the last four years straight. His problem is staying healthy, as he's averaged 65 games a year in that same span.

That said, even if that's all he gives them each year, that's still 50+ points out of a second-line center. Fine production for the position.

True about the stats and all, he should do fine point wise if he's healthy. I think I'm slightly biased in that I'm currently in Philly area and people don't seem to thrilled too have him and knowing Philly fans (and I'm related to quite a few) if he starts to fall without initial support he will go from the fans being apprehensive to absolute booing. So I guess in that sense it's slightly risky. I want the best for him as I think he's a great player I just don know how this run will treat him or how he'll treat the team. If he gets injured, it's going to be off with his head is what I'm speculating.

I'm not sure he'll be subject to it, to be honest. The deal is safe enough in terms of cap hit, and when he's not scoring, he's gonna be fighting and hitting and using his size in a way Flyers fans have come to love.

I think the deal works out well for them, honestly.

You're probably right, I'll admit I'm biased towards hating on the Flyers just due to a few bad experiences.

In other news I feel that both Dallas and Calgary have done a lot this off season and I'm intrigued to see if they're endeavors will pay off. Personally I'm feeling it will for Dallas not too sure about Calgary.

Interesting fact:Klimchuk, who was drafted by the Flames first round lived in my old neighborhood, played on the midnapore bison team which my youngest brother was hoping to one day make (he' about 3 years too young for It now but did play for the midnapore storm, and and is good friends with my good friend Quinn peplinkski who Is the son of one former Calgary flame captain.

Calgary is still horrible. They're a team in one of the largest rebuilds I've ever seen. The guys they've selected are OK and will do well for them, Monahan especially, but it's gonna be a while before they really begin to change their fortunes.

My bet is CGY is still a lottery team the next two years, at least.

@EdmontonOilers:
‪#‎Oilers‬ acquire David Perron (@DP_57) from the @StLouisBlues in exchange for Magnus Paajarvi and a 2014 second-round draft pick.

Blues were WAY up against the Cap and still have to re-sign Pietranglo long-term, so this shouldn't come as a shock. They needed to move at least one ticket out the window. Sucks that it was Perron based on how well-liked he was in the room, and his talent level, but money matters.

In fact, they're still too tight to get him and Stewart done, so I'd imagine Halak is the next one dumped in a trade to free up the room they need to get both contracts signed.

Pääjärvi also has to be re-signed himself. He's an RFA.

@EdmontonOilers:

Blues were WAY up against the Cap and still have to re-sign Pietranglo long-term, so this shouldn't come as a shock. They needed to move at least one ticket out the window. Sucks that it was Perron based on how well-liked he was in the room, and his talent level, but money matters.

In fact, they're still too tight to get him and Stewart done, so I'd imagine Halak is the next one dumped in a trade to free up the room they need to get both contracts signed.

Pääjärvi also has to be re-signed himself. He's an RFA.

I'm gutted to see Perron gone, but I'm not too upset about the deal. An already young team gets even younger, plus more cap room. If we can flip a goal, probably Halak, for another piece and more cap room, I'll be very happy with this offseason. No huge moves, but I don't think we really needed any.

Well in some ways you could see this coming, however it's still a sad day as he was a very solid player. I wish him the best in retirement and will be sad not to be able to sign him to my GM team next year.

Well in some ways you could see this coming, however it's still a sad day as he was a very solid player. I wish him the best in retirement and will be sad not to be able to sign him to my GM team next year.
He's 30 years old and has 12 years left on his contract.

I know he said stuff about contemplating staying in Russia, actually leaving all that money on the table is ridiculously surprising.

He's 30 years old and has 12 years left on his contract.

I know he said stuff about contemplating staying in Russia, actually leaving all that money on the table is ridiculously surprising.

Well he sort of mentioned that he had thought/contemplated retirement at some point in the season and I don't know why but I never took him as a guy who wold just randomly say stuff so I personally am not quite surprised however I guess looking at it from that viewpoint it can be considered surprising.

I'm mostly bummed because he was always a strong part of my second line and so next year I'll have to change it up.

My GM second line always is something like

Kovalchuk, Filipula, Hudler

Warning: The following statement is going to be short about 12,000 U's.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back