The Shawshank Redemption.

The Rob

Telling me I'm invincible..
It currently lies #1 on IMDb's Top 250 list and is considered by many to be the greatest movie of all time.

What are your real opinions on it?

My opinion is The Shawshank Redemption is the greatest movie of all time. Stunning in every way.

Watched it for the first time when I was10/11. It kinda scarred me, but is a great film. Shows that patience and perseverance pay off.

Never seen it. I've had the opportunity to, but it doesn't look particularly interesting.

It's one of my favourite films for sure but I over-indulged on it when I was younger and need to wait a while before I go back to it. Definitely Frank Darabont's best film, one of Tim Robbins' best and perhaps Morgan Freeman's breakout film too which I think are all reasons it's looked on fondly. At the moment I'm more keen on re-watching Green Mile than Shawshank though due to said over-indulgence.

It's one of my favourite films for sure but I over-indulged on it when I was younger and need to wait a while before I go back to it. Definitely Frank Darabont's best film, one of Tim Robbins' best and perhaps Morgan Freeman's breakout film too which I think are all reasons it's looked on fondly. At the moment I'm more keen on re-watching Green Mile than Shawshank though due to said over-indulgence.

I recently re-watched The Green Mile, been about maybe a year and a half since I last watched it. And whilst it's still brilliant and it does make me tear up come the end, I just found it to be inferior to Shawshank in almost every way. Tom Hanks is outstanding though. I was exactly the same though, over-indulged with The Green Mile when I was about 16, got given the DVD for my birthday and watched it maybe three times in one month at one point, so it's got to the point where I probably won't watch it for maybe another year or so.

Didn't The Shawshank Redemption flop at the Box Office as well?

I recently re-watched The Green Mile, been about maybe a year and a half since I last watched it. And whilst it's still brilliant and it does make me tear up come the end, I just found it to be inferior to Shawshank in almost every way. Tom Hanks is outstanding though. I was exactly the same though, over-indulged with The Green Mile when I was about 16, got given the DVD for my birthday and watched it maybe three times in one month at one point, so it's got to the point where I probably won't watch it for maybe another year or so.

Yeh Shawshank Shaw-tanked at the box office but made quite a lot of money through video rentals when it was on home release and gained a reputation through word of mouth.

Also, I'm glad I'm not the only one who waits at least a year between watching films :) One thing that put me off Green Mile was imagining the heat of the area it was set in and having to fully button up a shirt. It's stupid but imagining being in that kind of situation really makes me uneasy. See also, deserts.

Best film ever? Probably not. I think compelling cases can be made for the Godfather, Gone with the Wind and a few others to be ranked ahead of the Shawshank Redemption.

But, this is one of my personal favorite movies. It's one of the all-time great "hope" movies. As depressing as it can be at time, at it's heart, Shawshank is about hope, about redemption.

Red said:
Andy crawled to freedom through five hundred yards of shit smelling foulness I can't even imagine, or maybe I just don't want to. Five hundred yards... that's the length of five football fields, just shy of half a mile.

shawshank-redemption-screen-shots-the-shawshank-redemption-10336553-1920-1080.jpg

This is one of the single greatest moments in film. Not only did Andy Dufresne crawl through the shit, but afterward, the rain washed him clean. Damn powerful stuff, even if you choose to completely ignore the obvious Christ parallels.

Superb movie. I think I'd fall short of calling it the best of all time, but it is definitely a tremendous movie. Honestly, I don't know what movie I would consider the best ever, but I think I would rank Shawshank pretty highly up there.

Certainly a great film, but in no way deserving of being called the best film ever.

This.

It's not even close to being the best movie adapted from Stephan King's work. Shit the director went on to do The Green Mile, which I feel is better than Shawshank, so I don't even consider it the director's 'masterpiece'. Still a great movie, though.

Great film, not quite Citizen Kane and probably below The Godfather as well but in the top tier of films.

Other films I throw in:

Dark Knight, The Omen, Gump, Two Towers and not Avatar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back