TNA Region, Third Round, Metal Object On A Pole: (1) John Cena vs. (8) Bob Backlund

Who Wins This Matchup?

• John Cena

• Bob Backlund

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a third round match in the TNA Region. It is a Metal Object on a Pole match, held at the Amway Center in Orlando, Florida.

AmwayCenter1.jpg

Rules: A metal object will be placed on a pole in the corner of the ring. Either competitor can climb the pole and grab the object. Both men can then use the object and the match is won by pinfall or submission.

Cena-3.jpg

#1. John Cena

Vs.

Bob-Backlund.jpg

#8. Bob Backlund

Polls will be open for four days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

A guy with a submission finisher vs a guy whose motto is literally "Never Give Up". This could be a "loaded shotgun on a pole" match with Backlund getting the loaded shotgun, and I would STILL take Cena. Backlund lost a title match in 8 seconds to Diesel. That is the worst statistic ever.

Vote Juan Cena.

Backlund in hi prime was no joke. I feel he's slightly underrated because despite the cultural shift from smaller technical guys to large pumped up muscle guys, Backlund was still a very successful champion. Most of us have debated Cena's place in history. Some of us say top 10, some say top 5, others say top 3. I'm in the "top 5" camp. Backlund would be in my top 10. So why do I place Cena over Backlund? Bottom line it's marketability. John Cena is easily the most marketable WWE wrestler ever. Moreso than Hogan or Austin. The only wrestler that could surpass him period is Santo. Some people will make the argument that marketability = drawing power. I believe marketability is part of that, but not quite the same thing. It's an aspect, like talking on the mic is an aspect of having charisma. I'll save the core of these arguments next round when Cena faces Thesz [granted Cena doesn't get a match that totally favors him like HIAC] but bottom line is Cena was better than Backlund and should win.

Quick rundown...

Drawing power - As far as putting asses into seats in a strict sense that's Backlund. Cena draws much more revenue though merchandise, movies, charity, sponsors etc etc...

Ability - Subjective. Cena has a vast catelog of matches and so does Backlund. Cena was probably better at adapting. That doesn't mean that he wouldn't excel in one area over the other. I think I'd give Cena the point.

Longevity - Has Cena truly been the man for the past decade? Well, no. You had guys like Orton and Punk that have taken that mantle from him a couple of times, but Cena has been a top star [meaning if he wasn't #1 he was #2] for the past decade easily. If you're talking combined time as a top star then the point is Cena's. If you're talking about uninterrupted time on top then the point is Backlund's. 5 years. Cena's longest uninterrupted stretch as the #1 guy was probably 3 years [05 to 07.] He was on top again for a year in 08 and then again in 2010. 2012 was his year again.

Consistency - The point's Backlund. Yeah, Bob has the Diesel blemish on his record, but Cena has lost to nobodies like Tensai. Cena also has the worst losing record of any top era star ever [and no, he doesn't have the highest winning record. That's only true of top era stars from the past 30 years.]

Charisma - I'm split. We all know that Cena embodies charisma, but didn't Backlund as well? Even before he became Mr. Backlund he was the poster child for the clean cut face that fans loved. He could not have pulled that off [especially during that culture shift] if he wasn't extremely charismatic. But since Cena has been on top longer, I think he should get the point.

Accolades - Tough call. Yeah, Cena has more in sheer numbers, but allot of his title reigns and even feuds were largely forgettable. Cena has spent something like 1300 combined days as champion, which is phenomenal. Where as one of Backlund's reigns lasted 2,000+ days. The other lasted 3 :disappointed: I'll split this one.

Overall Legacy - Cena will go down as the modern era's top star. Period. Backlund will probably always be remembered as the bridge to the Hulkamania era. Not a bad thing in any way, but most fans are starting to forget his importance. I'd probably have to say Cena.

Regardless of match type [which does favor Cena a bit] I'll be voting for "you can't see me" because he was the better man and should move forward.

Vote Cena.

When John Cena was on top of WWE, it was an international powerhouse. When Backlund was on top, it was probably the second biggest US promotion. Backlund is great, and when he came back in the 90s he was able to present himself as a credible wrestler despite his age. That being said, he never did anything close to the level of business Cena does, so I've got to go with that.

Well for one, I liked Graham more than Backlund, still do. Backlund was a legit tough guy but the howdy doody chants during his matches that started occurring in his reign tell me he was the first John Cena; a loathed face by a section of the fans.

He was dropped for the more marketable Hulk Hogan, a more rounded charismatic soprts entertainer. Cena is a man who is preety much the top guy and he hasn't been in the ME of Mania for 2 years now. That is pretty big if you think about it.

Lets go Cena i guess

How could people pick Cena? Unreal. He does not have the skill to go against Backlund. Backlund puts him in the chicken wing with the quickness. Then Cena passes out from the pain. Then Bob gets the metal object and hits Cena with it. Then puts him back in the chicken wing. Ref drops cena's arm 3x, Bob wins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back