TNA, What Happened With Your Tag Team Division?

pepentorresHHH

Getting Noticed By Management
I´ll be honest, i missed TNA´s glory days and just started watching when they went live a few months ago so I havent seen that many tag team matches.... but i always head of Beer Mony Inc, LAX, MCMG, etc and how this division absolutely killed WWE ´s division....but..........WHAT HAPPENED TO THE LEGEND OF THE GREAT TNA TAG TEAM DIVISION?!

Our Current tag team champions are christopher daniels and Kazarian but after they regained their titles from Aj and Kurt, they havent defended those titles, and yes I know they are currently involved in a feud with Aj (or did it end on this week of impact) but I see no tag teams on the card wrestling or any teams going for the number one contendership......

Apart from that, lets see the teams on the roster: chavo and hernandez, kid kash and gunner, (thinking who else...........) robbie e and robbie t? garret bishoff and devon? thats it....thats the best tna has to offer currently as far as tag teams go.... but lets be honest, chavo and hernandez have had 1 match together thus far, kid kash and gunner appear almost never, robbie e and his bodyguard, never challenge anyone, and bishoff and devon (really?)

dude, i dont want to compare to wwe because they are on different places but HHH has provided us with a better division (shocking!) and he hasnt done that much, they have kofi and truth, the prime time players, primo and epico the usos, the ascension, hunico and camacho and maybe tyson kidd with justin gabriel....7 teams......

again this is not about wwe, its about tna´s tag team division.... so whats happened? it the bound for glory series whats keeping tna from having good teams? the writers? a lack of interest in the division? tell me what do you think has happened?

DISCUSS......

It seems as if TNA has lost interest in a tag team division lately. They used to have the only real tag team wrestling around and then stopped. Probably typical TNA copying WWE. WWE doesn't make the tag team division work anymore so TNA doesn't either. Which is a real shame. Tag team wrestling is a good way to round out a solid event and also establish guys for future singles careers without having them fail on their own. TNA used to have AMW, Motor City Machine Guns, Beer Money, and numerous other teams that made their tag division great. Now there might be two or three consistent teams, but no real tag teams[just randomly thrown together combos like Gunner & Kid Kash]. Sad how far the tag division has fallen.

They have the teams (or potential teams) they just don't use them. Kash and Gunner, Chavo and Hernandez, Robbie T and Robbie E, Kaz and Daniels. That is four teams right there.

Simple- the days of the 'wrestler' are past. We're in the days of the 'character', and it's pretty hard to promote two people with the same personality.

Look at the tag teams that are being promoted today- not just in TNA, but also in the WWE. Almost all of them are of the "This Guy and That Guy" construction. Tag team wrestling has always been used as a launch pad to singles success; starting them off as individuals makes that transition easier. The cost has been the diminishment of tag team wrestling.

Tag team wrestling has never really sold. It's been filler on a card for ages. When was the last time a tag team match headlined a PPV? (Kurt Angle + Samoa Joe vs. Team 3D. 2007, I think it was.) The golden age of TNA's tag team division couldn't last; it was something that was nice while it was around.

All have made good points. At the same time, I also think it has something to do with Bruce Pritchard being head booker for TNA. It's true that the tag team division was steadily losing steam before he got the job, but the tag team division went on life support one he did take it.

I just have a feeling that Pritchard isn't a fan of tag team wrestling. I might be wrong, but I think I remember reading reports stating as much back when he was working in WWE.

For the vast majority of stars that've made it to the top, it's been done through the singles ranks. I like tag team wrestling but the problem of tag teams is that, almost always, one of the members is signifigantly superior to the other. Ricky Morton was better than Robert Gibson, Hawk was better than Animal, Shawn Michaels was better than Marty Jannetty, Bret Hart was better than Jim Neidhart. A tag team wrestler is just never really viewed in quite the same way as a major singles star. It's always been the singles stars & singles champions that have carried the companies.

That being said, I see no downfall at all in having a strong tag team scene. At the same time, companies have to decide what angles & wrestlers are ultimately going to get the most television time and attentioin. Right now, Aces & Eights is the big angle in TNA. They'd rather devote the time to Austin Aries or James Storm or Bobby Roode. I can't say that TNA's wrong for doing that because those are quite possibly the three top overall talents on the TNA roster right now. They're money and companies always try to go where they think the money is going to be. It might conflict with how we as fans would rather it be in our own little fantasy booking scenarios, but that's just how the mop flops.

Well, they split Beer Money up to make to great main eventers. They did the same with Team 3d. LAX got old and stale. MCMG couldn't stay healthy. You also have to remember that they only have 2 hours of air time a week. They don't have the luxury to have like 6 hours like wwe. They rather put more time in A8'S, BFG series, they still have womens wrestling to put in there, they sometimes get x division in there, Austin aries, Robert Roode, and much more.

Well, they split Beer Money up to make to great main eventers. They did the same with Team 3d. LAX got old and stale. MCMG couldn't stay healthy. You also have to remember that they only have 2 hours of air time a week. They don't have the luxury to have like 6 hours like wwe. They rather put more time in A8'S, BFG series, they still have womens wrestling to put in there, they sometimes get x division in there, Austin aries, Robert Roode, and much more.

actually they have 3 hours if you add Explosion that does have matches on it and Kaz and Daniels are on every week.

well sorry i mean to say 3 hours of available air time but only 1hr 20mins for Impact of actual air time and 45 mins for Explosion including ads. i dunno what it's like in other regions but in Australia Explosion from the week previous is on b4 Impact which then starts at 8pm and is over by 9:30pm including ads then there's 20mins of channel filler b4 the next televised show. the only time they do a full 3 hours is the week of a PPV when they repeat the PPV promo's over and over.

anyway to the topic at hand.
I think it's typical flavor of the month, that plagues both WWE and TNA atm they are concentrating on the BFG series and Austin Aries and Aces and Eights and a bastard baby that never existed and involving the tag champs to fued with someone who can't act and then throw an apparent model/actor who is ugly and can't act lol
that takes all there creativity process just to think of something for those storylines

Look back in the past few years. XDivision made a resurgence and that lasted how long? then they dropped it til Airies returned but fired or released everyone else.

Knockouts division was the ratings winner for a while then they scrapped it and went back to not featuring them.

Tag Division was re-envigoured then they split the two main teams that were drawing and the one that was still there got seperated by injury. what's left is not worth a tag division since they don't even team up and as said b4 the Tag Champs are too busy with AJ and the BFG series.

They are the ADD generation's spokes people :) and people say WWE was bad at that which they were but TNA takes the cake in that department they are the clear winner.

I think they need to bring back some teams like The Naturals w/ Shane Douglas as the manager,LAX if they decide to have Chavo go solo since him and Hernandez have only had one match and if Homicide even wants to come back,and maybe rangle up Team Canada because I really want Petey Willams back.

But they also need to find to new teams from the indy curcuit that are already solidified teams.

We may not see a good tag team division back in TNA until the Bound For Glory Series is over. I hope TNA will bring in some new talent to help the division.

Team 3D split and we got Bully Ray

Beer Money Split and we got Bobby Roode and James Storm

Motor City Machine Guns - Saban was out for a year, came back, and is out for another 8 months. Alex Shelley left TNA

Ink Inc - Both members left

Generation Me - Ask for release and granted it.

I agree. Maybe they could bring some team from another company, even have a gut check tag team, as long as they stick and not go back developing. Heck, bring back an old TNA tag team or two. The tag division doesn't have to be giant, I realize there is only enough room for so many people on a 2 hr show, but why does it always have to be ohhh x person and y person aren't doing much, lets have them get attacked and put them together as a tag team. To me, the best teams are ones that are brought in as a team, and that is what they do. They are tag team wrestlers, like the bushwackers, headbangers, rock and roll express. Sure you know each individual member's name and they may wrestle occasionally in singles competition, say if they are feuding with another tag team and have a big match with them coming at the next ppv, but they are in essence, a tag team. Not just two singles wrestlers they have nothing better to do with at the time so they throw them together for 2 months, have a couple matches together, are briefly a tag team, and then they go their own way, if you know what I mean?

I don't complain about the lack of a division for one simple fact. Those two straps still mean a lot. People still kill each other for those things and while the last few champions since Beer Money aren't exactly big name teams, holding those belts still means you're worth a damn. Morgan and Crimson's feud came over losing them, Kurt Angle AJ Styles teamed up to win them (and put on the best Tag Team match since Beer Money vs MMG) and so on. Maybe the division is crippled. But the championships are not. Case in point, Kaz and Daniels. Focal points of the show each week. In contrast, WWE might have a deeper division (about time too), but would you really say Kofi and Truth are as essential to Raw or Smackdown as Kaz and Daniels are to Impact?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back