WCW Region, Lexington Subregion, First Round: (7) Ultimate Warrior vs. (26) Goldust

Who wins this match?

• Ultimate Warrior

• Goldust

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the WCW Region, Lexington Subregion. It is a standard one on one match. It will be held at Rupp Arena in Lexington, Kentucky.

rupp-arena-feb-101.jpg

ultimatewarrior0142.jpg

#7. Ultimate Warrior

Vs.

Goldusttt.jpg

#26. Goldust

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

OMG, I want Goldust to go over so bad in this match up. You know what? I'm going to argue for Goldust just for the hell of it (and because I can't stand the Ultimate Warrior).

Although I can't stand Warrior, I have to give him his due. In the late 80's and early 90's the guy was virtually unstoppable and he did something that very few mortal men ever did. He beat Hulk Hogan clean at WM 6. Other than that, however, what did the guy do? He was a train wreck! Yeah he had the look, but what else? He sucked in the ring, he sucked on the mic, and he just over all sucked! Gosh I can't stand Ultimate Warrior.

Let's look at Goldust for a second. He was cool and he pushed the envelope in professional wrestling. Goldust was good in the ring, good on the mic, and over all very entertaining. His feud with Roddy Piper is still one of my favorites to this day and what a match they had.

Warrior may have been the WWE Champion at one time, however, it is my belief that Goldust did way more for the business than Warrior did. I know I usually vote the kayfabe way and if I did that in this match up, I'd be voting for Warrior, but damn it I can't stand Warrior!

Vote Goldust!

While this does pain me to say it, But Ultimate Warrior easily wins this one. Warriors Superior Speed, strength and intensity would just be to much for Goldust and Warrior would pick up the win very Quickly.

I can understand the hatred for the Ultimate Warrior but to ask what else he did aside from beating Hogan at WM 6 is a tad bit ridiculous...

-He was the second person to be acknowledged as slamming Andre, and arguably manhandled Andre in a more powerful way than Hogan did. Warrior was killing Andre every where they went in under a minute, usually with a series of clotheslines until Andre was teetering and fell like a tower, and Warrior would follow it up with the big splash or send Andre through the ropes for the count out.

-He had a great feud with Rick Rude that everybody remembers that he pretty much completely dominated with the exception of losing the IC title to Rude with the help of Heenan holding Warrior's leg on a suplex attempt for Rude to steal the victory.

-His feud with Randy Savage is etched as one of the best feuds of all time, and is arguably regarded as Warrior's best work.

-He's the only person I can think of that's beaten both Hogan -and- Savage at Wrestlemania, and he did it back to back. That's insane when you think about it, and about how long Warrior's time at the top was.

-Only pinned 5 times in his prime, most of which took place on house shows.

So yeah... What's the Warrior done? A lot. The better question is what has Goldust done that even remotely compares to touching any of the Warrior's greatest achievements? The sad thing is I'm a bigger fan of Dustin Rhodes than I am of Warrior, but this one isn't even close.

Warrior bulldozes Dustin with a series of clotheslines... snorts a line of cocaine off his fallen body, and carelessly dumps him with a gorilla press slam and finishes with the big splash... He's head banging and talking to the gods around the 3 minute mark.

I can understand the hatred for the Ultimate Warrior but to ask what else he did aside from beating Hogan at WM 6 is a tad bit ridiculous...

-He was the second person to be acknowledged as slamming Andre, and arguably manhandled Andre in a more powerful way than Hogan did. Warrior was killing Andre every where they went in under a minute, usually with a series of clotheslines until Andre was teetering and fell like a tower, and Warrior would follow it up with the big splash or send Andre through the ropes for the count out.

-He had a great feud with Rick Rude that everybody remembers that he pretty much completely dominated with the exception of losing the IC title to Rude with the help of Heenan holding Warrior's leg on a suplex attempt for Rude to steal the victory.

-His feud with Randy Savage is etched as one of the best feuds of all time, and is arguably regarded as Warrior's best work.

-He's the only person I can think of that's beaten both Hogan -and- Savage at Wrestlemania, and he did it back to back. That's insane when you think about it, and about how long Warrior's time at the top was.

-Only pinned 5 times in his prime, most of which took place on house shows.

So yeah... What's the Warrior done? A lot. The better question is what has Goldust done that even remotely compares to touching any of the Warrior's greatest achievements? The sad thing is I'm a bigger fan of Dustin Rhodes than I am of Warrior, but this one isn't even close.

Warrior bulldozes Dustin with a series of clotheslines... snorts a line of cocaine off his fallen body, and carelessly dumps him with a gorilla press slam and finishes with the big splash... He's head banging and talking to the gods around the 3 minute mark.

Trust me, I'm not an imbecile. I completely know and understand everything that Warrior has accomplished in the business. I was intentionally selling Warrior short in my post, because, well, I can't stand the Ultimate Warrior.

I know that I should vote for Warrior, I really do, but my heart just won't let me. I understand that he would easily go over here, but I don't want him to. I just can't stand Ultimate Warrior.

Yeah, the Warrior goes over here, in spite of the fact that I would love nothing better than to see him out of here...he takes some early punishment, but then psychs himself into his usual frenzy, nails Dustin w/ a series of shoulder tackles, gorilla presses him then hits a splash to end things. On to round 2 for the Ultimate nutjob...he was just too over, and too sucessfull in comparison to Dustins' resume. Maybe he gets someone tougher in the next round.

This is a crime of conscience.

On one side we have a guy who was never really a fan of the business, never really had to prove himself and got a direct path to the big time, babbled incoherently to the camera about absolutely nonesense that sounded good at the time, but poorly on reflection, was able to no-sell about half the offence he ever took and essentially was able to coast on having a great body and a lot of energy.

Conversely, we have a guy who had a gimmick that seemed like it was destined to fail, had the weight of his father on his shoulders and worked for 'the other company' when his Dad was at WCW, someone who was methodical and considerate about what he did and was very good at it, was able to work well in the ring and make people care about him not long after his début, someone who had longevity and a good career because he had the nouse not to let himself implode, a guy that you could still book to this day and have him get reactions almost 20 years on and someone that has maintained the same gimmick, on and off, for the same length of time.

No matter what I try to detract from Warrior or add to Goldust for the undeserved gap in the quality of their two careers, I can't think of enough good reasons to vote a career midcarder over the first and only man to beat Hulk Hogan clean at Wrestlemania in his prime, no matter where the rub rubbed off after it happened. Warrior short idiotic years in wrestling were much more impactful than Goldust's and so to Dustin Runnels, I am sorry.

Warrior never goes very far in this tournament because people seem to vote based on what they think of him as a person rather then what he accomplished as a wrestler. He should be a virtual lock for the third or fourth round every year. I'm a huge fan of Goldust but there is no way he would go over the Warrior. Warrior lost very few times in his career and when he did it was to big names due to interference. Goldust would try to freak him out and make the match a little longer ten it should be but Warrior come out on top.

Warrior never goes very far in this tournament because people seem to vote based on what they think of him as a person rather then what he accomplished as a wrestler. He should be a virtual lock for the third or fourth round every year. I'm a huge fan of Goldust but there is no way he would go over the Warrior. Warrior lost very few times in his career and when he did it was to big names due to interference. Goldust would try to freak him out and make the match a little longer ten it should be but Warrior come out on top.

No it's not about Warrior the person. It has everything to do with Warrior the wrestler. I understand how successful he was and how over he was at one point in time, but I never liked Ultimate Warrior. Even as I child I would watch his matches and promos disappointed, because even then, I understood how awful he was. I'll never forget when he showed up on Nitro and cut that epic fail of a promo on Hulk Hogan. Hell, even Hulk was looking at him like, "what the hell is he on about".

Why should I, as a wrestling fan, vote for one of the most absolute worst performers in the history of the business? Why should any of us as wrestling fans vote for him? I mean seriously, the only thing the guy had going for him was his look. If it hadn't have been for that, he never would've amounted to much of anything.

I just can't stand the Ultimate Warrior!

No it's not about Warrior the person. It has everything to do with Warrior the wrestler. I understand how successful he was and over he was at one point in time, but I never liked Ultimate Warrior. Even as I child I would watch his matches and promos disappointed, because even then, I understood how awful he was. I'll never forget when he showed up on Nitro and cut that epic fail of a promo on Hulk Hogan. Hell, even Hulk was looking at him like, "what the hell is he on about".

Why should I, as a wrestling fan, vote for one of the most absolute worst performers in the history of the business? Why should any of us as wrestling fans vote for him? I mean seriously, the only thing the guy had going for him was his look. If it hadn't have been for that, he never would've amounted to much of anything.

If you didn't like him as a kid then you were in the minority. Warrior was extremely over especially with the younger kids (me included). The WWE put him over Hogan at Mania 6 because of how popular he was. He was the only guy the WWE ever had pre attitude era who could compete with Hogan in terms of popularity. Calling him a bad performer is laughable. He had classic 5 star matches at back to back Wrestlemanias against Hogan and Savage. His promos, while often nonsensical were extremely engaging and entertaining. Warrior was a fantastic performer.

If you didn't like him as a kid then you were in the minority. Warrior was extremely over especially with the younger kids (me included). The WWE put him over Hogan at Mania 6 because of how popular he was. He was the only guy the WWE ever had pre attitude era who could compete with Hogan in terms of popularity. Calling him a bad performer is laughable. He had classic 5 star matches at back to back Wrestlemanias against Hogan and Savage. His promos, while often nonsensical were extremely engaging and entertaining. Warrior was a fantastic performer.

Don't get me wrong sir. As I said before, I understand how popular he was and what he accomplished. You don't need to tell me that. Even as a kid, however, I found him to be silly and just way to over the top. Also, those classic matches that he had at back to back Wrestlemanias was less Ultimate Warrior and more of who he had in the ring with him. 2 of the absolute greatest performers ever in Hogan and Savage.

No it's not about Warrior the person. It has everything to do with Warrior the wrestler. I understand how successful he was and over he was at one point in time, but I never liked Ultimate Warrior. Even as I child I would watch his matches and promos disappointed, because even then, I understood how awful he was. I'll never forget when he showed up on Nitro and cut that epic fail of a promo on Hulk Hogan. Hell, even Hulk was looking at him like, "what the hell is he on about".

Why should any of us as wrestling fans vote for him? I thought wrestling fans like great matches which Warrior was a part of with Hogan, Savage, and Rude. Is this concept foreign?

I'm not going to down a guy because of a promo.

Unless it involves Miz.

The absolute worst performer wouldn't able to have two great Wrestlemania matches in a row.

Also, those classic matches that he had at back to back Wrestlemanias was less Ultimate Warrior and more of who he had in the ring with him. 2 of the absolute greatest performers ever in Hogan and Savage.

Lol. Hulk Hogan is the biggest wrestling star of all time but he didn't exactly carry tons of performers to 5 star matches. In fact, off the top of my head the only match of Hogan's that I would give 5 stars to is his match with Warrior at Mania 6. He had tons of classic battles with the likes of Andre, Savage, Rock, etc, but none of those actual matches were as good as Hogan/Warrior.

He was the only guy the WWE ever had pre attitude era who could compete with Hogan in terms of popularity.

False. Macho Man.

But going back to Warrior's performance, no he isn't a great wrestler but he has had some really memorable matches. SummerSlam 92 against Randy is one of my favorite matches ever and Warrior was just as great as savage. He was super over, he was unstoppable, and has one of the greatest streaks in wrestling of all time.

False. Macho Man.

But going back to Warrior's performance, no he isn't a great wrestler but he has had some really memorable matches. SummerSlam 92 against Randy is one of my favorite matches ever and Warrior was just as great as savage. He was super over, he was unstoppable, and has one of the greatest streaks in wrestling of all time.

Savage was not as popular as Warrior. That's why Savage never went over Hogan and after Savage won the title he turned heel so Hogan could go over him. Savage was very over and very popular as a face but he wasn't on the level of Hogan or Warrior.

Warrior one of the absolute worst performers in the history of the business? I know you don't like Warrior but that's a little harsh isn't it? Actually it's not just a little harsh. It's just wrong. Warrior was a good performer. All you have to do is watch his matches from WrestleManias 5-7 to see that. I hate to play the age card but since you brought up your childhood memories of him there's something I'd like to point out. You're 24 years old. Warrior's best days were over 20 years ago. The Warrior you remember from WCW was not the same guy from the late 80s/early 90s WWF.

Goldust was a great performer. A lot of his strategy involved slow and methodical mind games. I don't think Warrior would give Goldust a chance to employ that strategy. As soon as the bell rings (or maybe even before) Warrior will hit Goldust with a fury of clotheslines and shoulder tackles. Goldust would get some shots in but it wouldn't take Warrior long to steamroll him on his way to the second round.

Warrior one of the absolute worst performers in the history of the business? I know you don't like Warrior but that's a little harsh isn't it? Actually it's not just a little harsh. It's just wrong. Warrior was a good performer. All you have to do is watch his matches from WrestleManias 5-7 to see that. I hate to play the age card but since you brought up your childhood memories of him there's something I'd like to point out. You're 24 years old. Warrior's best days were over 20 years ago. The Warrior you remember from WCW was not the same guy from the late 80s/early 90s WWF.

You're right. The Warrior that I grew up watching wasn't the same Warrior that was from the late 80's to early 90's. I think that my first glimpse of Warrior as a child was when he returned to the WWE in 95 or 96 I believe. He was just god awful then, just horrible and that's what I remember most about Warrior. Like I mentioned earlier, that promo he cut on Hogan when he showed up on Nitro, I mean just awful.

I did, however, growing older and such, go back when the opportunity of the internet allowed, and watch him in his prime and I loved his matches with Hogan and Savage. I'll say it any day that those were his best matches and they were great, however, look at who he was in the ring with. Two of the absolute best performers in history.

First impressions are always the lasting impressions and my first impression of Warrior was horrible. Honestly, I wish that I could genuinely argue for Goldust to go over in this match, but I can't. Warrior will go over and in all honesty he should go over, but isn't it ok that I just don't want him to?

I just can't stand the Ultimate Warrior.

I think I'm going all-in with the Warrior this year. Guy was an absolute animal and was basically unbeatable. Have you looked at his record? He lost like twice, clean (if that). Once upon a time, in my younger, dumber days, I hated the Warrior. Now, I see a bit more clear, like I did when I was eight years old - Warrior's the fucking man.

Warrior wins, easily. See, I didn't even need to talk about Dustin, that's how much of a joke this match is.

False. Macho Man.

Not a shot was Macho Man more over than Warrior at any stage. Absolutely no chance. Whether he could of been I don't know since when he had the biggest chance of getting Warrior/Hogan over they turned him heel, but as it stands he peaked at WM4 and was nowhere near as over as Warrior around WM6. I don't get it either, Savage is probably top 5 most charismatic of all time. I put it down to him being awesome as a heel as well, whereas Warrior would be a shitty heel so just got pushed to the moon and over as fuck as a face.

Everyone loves Goldy. His gimmick was pure bravery and he put everything into it and made it work. Absolutely compelling at it's peak, still over to this day. Perfectly adept at heel and comedy face (all his best work as a heel though).

I'm voting in kayfabe though. Warrior at his peak is probably top 5 within kayfabe of all time, along with Hogan/Andre/Austin/Undertaker.

Goldust is a very underrated talent. I have never enjoyed Dustin Rhodes in his other personas but as Goldust it works, plus the gimmick was revolutionary when it was debuted during the mid 1990s. Good on the mic, good in the ring, Goldust would have a chance against alot of opponents in this tournament.

However, the Warrior was an unstoppable force in his prime. Barely losing, beating Hogan at WM and looking incredibly dominant throughout his WWE career. Yeah he was a total nutjob, and only had a short run on top but if he are comparing these two men in their primes, then noone can argue Goldust's prime was better than that of the Ultimate Warrior.

Winner: Warrior with a splash after about 7 minutes.

This match couldn't be more 1 sided, Goldust may as well be the Honky Tonk Man at Summerslam '88 against Warrior.

I'm keeping this short, I can't think of 1 good reason to vote for Goldust he's completely over matched in every possibly category. Unless Goldust pulled out the ******io card before the match for Warrior to take a dive he's gonna get run over in this match.

I'll be honest I don't even think Goldust would put up much of a fight in this match. He would get completely dominated. Gorilla Press Slam, Warrior Splash, 1-2-3 and Warrior is running to the back like a complete idiot.

Warrior wins this easy.

On one side we have a guy who was never really a fan of the business.

I don't know that this was the case. I think it would be more accurate to say that Warrior put himself above the business, and had an inflated ego because of what he accomplished in a very short time.

never really had to prove himself and got a direct path to the big time, babbled incoherently to the camera about absolutely nonesense that sounded good at the time, but poorly on reflection, was able to no-sell about half the offence he ever took and essentially was able to coast on having a great body and a lot of energy.

He also had undeniable charisma, was over with the crowd, and was a physical specimen. How he got there isn't as important as what he did when he got there. All he did was end Honky Tonk Man's record Intercontinental reign, was the sole survivor for his team in three consecutive Survivor Series elimination matches, slammed and pinned Andre a number of times, beat Hogan clean at Wrestlemania VI to win the WWF title, and "ended" Randy Savage's career.

Whether Warrior deserved the prestige and rubs he got is questionable, but there's no disputing the results. Yeah, he quickly fell out of favor with Vince due to threatening to hold out if Vince didn't acquiesce his every desire, but this isn't about Warrior's attitude, it's about what he did in his peak. And in his short peak, he accomplished more then most did in their entire careers, including Golddust.

Conversely, we have a guy who had a gimmick that seemed like it was destined to fail, had the weight of his father on his shoulders and worked for 'the other company' when his Dad was at WCW, someone who was methodical and considerate about what he did and was very good at it, was able to work well in the ring and make people care about him not long after his début, someone who had longevity and a good career because he had the nouse not to let himself implode.

Goldust was a great gimmick, and the performer, Dustin Rhodes, made it work. But the notion that he didn't self-implode is a fallacy: He's acknowledged he used Cocaine before matches, drank heavily after, and was taking 40 Vicodin a day at the height of his addiction. It was because of his drug use that he was released from WWE and bounced between there, WCW, and TNA for several years. Like William Regal, he never rose above mid-card level, and part of it has to be attributed to his own self-destructive behavior.

No matter what I try to detract from Warrior or add to Goldust for the undeserved gap in the quality of their two careers, I can't think of enough good reasons to vote a career midcarder over the first and only man to beat Hulk Hogan clean at Wrestlemania in his prime, no matter where the rub rubbed off after it happened.

The gap is simple: While both men were self-destructive, in different ways, one had the undeniable ability to legitimately draw and perform at an elite level, while the other could not. Warrior's beaten more accomplished and difficult opponents in shorter time. He'll have tougher matchups down the road, but Goldust is a cakewalk in the first round. A Warrior Splash ends this in about 5 minutes.

Warrior short idiotic years in wrestling were much more impactful than Goldust's and so to Dustin Runnels, I am sorry.

Yet you voted for Goldust over Warrior....

The Ultimate Warrior was unstoppable, Goldust has been stopped, many, many times.

This match happened, far beyond Warrior's peak:

Observations:

1) The crowd still go absolutely ape shit for him after years away.
2) The crowd audibly start chanting "******!" at Goldust
3) Goldust just runs away

That's all that'd happen here, or Warrior would trounce him.

Warrior steamrolls in this one. He was an unstoppable force at his peak. He has gone over Hogan and Savage clean. I respect Goldust, but he was never at the level of Warrior.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back