WCW Regional Finals: Randy Savage vs. Triple H

Randy Savage vs. Triple H

• Randy Savage

• Triple H

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shocky

Kissin Babies and Huggin Fat Girlz
Macho Man Randy Savage vs. the Game Triple H

The Following match is the Regional Finals for the WCW. This match takes place in Orlando, Florida, at the Citrus Bowl. This match is conducted under basic wrestling rules with a four sided ring.

Well, first off, its obvious Savage has the HUGE home crowd on his side here. He is from the area, and Florida is a territory steeped in tradition of the old school, and would be rabidly on savages side.

That being said, I think Savage walks in this one. Triple H could even be calle dmy favorite wrestler(along with Edge) but that doesnt blind me to the fact that Randy Savage is better than him in pretty much everything you can rate a pro wrestler on. Charisma, selling, athleticism, promo ability. Savage has it all, and superior to Trips. Savage Carried the WWF for a year, during Hulkanmania. That should speak for itself. My vote will be to Savage.

This match is going to be EXHAUSTING! I don't see this going less than 40 minutes long.

Savage and HHH are each other from two different eras. Both men were mainstays in every feud imaginable - I voted Savage as the greatest feud participant of all time - bth as heels and faces. Savage feuded with: Steamboat, Steele, Rhodes, Hogan, Warrior, Flair, Crush. HHH feuded with: Rock, Austin, Angle, Foley, Michaels, Taker, Jericho, Kane. Sometimes a face, sometimes a heel.

Savage has more high flying skill, whereas HHH has a TOUCH more power. Since politics cannot enter in (rules of the tournament) then I agree with Norcal that home field goes to Savage for being in Florida. But it's not a walk - not close. Both men give 100% of themselves and either can win, though I back Savage in what should be a NARROW victory.

Savage should dominate technicaly, and HHH will look for ground and pound. HHH might look to use the ring post or heel tactics to weaken Savage, but Savage is no slouch at countering and using them himself. I can see Savage kicking out of the pedigree because of his great stamina and conditioning, Savage probably needs to bring out a piledriver to put HHH away but he does, and its the right decision. Savage has accomplisdhed more in his career in his two title reigns than HHH has achieved in any of his. I think as a wrestler he is better, and Savage has beaten better wrestlers than HHH, so for me Savage is the obvious choice.

It comes down to the crowd-Florida will boo HHHs head off.HHH would,no doubt get distracted by the crowd at various stages letting Savage recover.IC made some good points-this match should be VERY Close.........who will win?I don,t know.Who will I vote for?Savage.

I disagree that the crowd will decide this one. I can't think of any occasion where boos have distracted Triple H from the match at hand. Like has been said, this would be an incredible match, I can visualize it in my mind right now and it seems incredible. The Game gives it his all and comes inches within a victory but the Macho Man edges him out in a close one. Oooooooh yeah!

HHH has made his career out of being booed. if anything it probably feeds him to the extent savage being cheered for does. crowd support goes out the window as it balances in both men's favour.

i think this match could go on a while as both men are capable of taking a lot of punishment, as well as dishing it out. personally, i think it would require something out of the ordinary and unexpected for either man to pull out the win, as they will both have each other scouted and know what to expect. roll up or backslide pin with foot on ropes should pull it off. this match will probably look like a one-sided affair vote-wise when it would be ridiculously tight in the ring

Going with the Macho Man here. HHH is a great heel, but in wcw he did next to nothing. He hadn't reached his prime while wcw was around, but he was getting close. Savage was always a great wrestler and should out wrestle the game. HHH keeps it close, but once Miss Elizabeth pulls some trick, HHH gets distracted, allowing Macho to keep the upper hand.

Tbh i don't know who would actuallt win this thing however th guy would say savage would have advantage in speed, and triple H in power is right.
I do know this though

Triple H is over rated, not saying hes crap but just over rated.

How the voting will go on this one, is certainly what would'nt happen.

Expect a good match around 25 - 30 minute, but would be heavily over shadowed by Chris benoit vs HBK.

I'll try not to be biased towards Savage. Although doubt I'll be able to help it.

HHH's prime years were probably 1997-1998. In that time he was having great matches, with great opponents. When exactly was Savage's prime? He was always a pretty old wrestler, isn't he the same age as Flair now? Anyway. You would assume that when Savage was stealing all of the WWE shows he was either in his prime or past it. He was having quality matches with opponents who weren't anywhere as talented as HHH's. And yet again, when he was in WCW he was having quality matches. And her was certainly WAY past his prime then, again with poor opponents. HHH has had good matches in the past 10 years. But they've ever been gimmick or with several opponents. He's good, but not in Savage's league.

The match would go long in my opinion. So long in fact that both would be out of it by the end. If they face Vader in the next round, both are done. This is HHH in his prime, not the HHH of today. He isn't suddenly going to regain his healt and be fine for the next round.

Jake, I'd venture to say that Savage had more than one prime. He may have had two or three primes, due to "2nd winds" in his career.

Prime #1: 1987 - 1989.

After winning the Intercontinental Title from Tito Santana, Savage gained 2 count-out wins over Hulk Hogan and had huge feuds with the likes of George The Animal Steele and Bruno Sammartino. This, of course, led the to classic Wrestlemania 3 match up between Savage and Ricky Steamboat, with Savage putting Steamboat over in a match that involved 19 two-counts. This match helped pave the way for Savage's face turn and eventual combination into "The Mega Powers" with Hulk Hogan and their feuds with Ted Dibiase and Andre the Giant. Savage would win a marginal Wrestlemania 4 tournament for his first WWF Title. One year later (almost to the day) Savage lost the belt at Wrestlemania 5 to Hogan, completing the rare uber-face to uber-heel turn mid-championship reign.

Prime #1: 1991 - 1992.

Coming out of Kayfabe retirement (during which Savage showed his prowess as an announcer) Randy entered an absolute blood feud with Jake Roberts involving Miss Elizabeth. Once that feud ended, Svage began one of the great WWF Title feuds of all time, with Ric Flair, culminating in their Wrestlemania 8 classic. After winning the title from Flair, Savage went on to defend against a returning Ultimate Warrior at Summerslam in Wembley Stadium - an awesome match overshadowed by the show stealing Hart vs Bulldog match. Savage's career started to wane after dropping the belt back to Flair in Hershey, PA and his tag team match with Mr. Perfect vs Flair and Razor Ramon at Survivor Series.

Prime #1: 1995 - 1996.

Many wouldn't consider this a "prime" but Savage did rekindle a team with Hulk Hogan competing in the triple-tiered cage against the Dungeon of Doom and of course picking up his feud with Ric Flair, which will go down as one of the greatest feuds of all time. Savage even won the WCW World Title at World War Three, and traded the belt with Flair. Fun fact - Flair and Savage are the only pair of wreslers to drop both the WWF and WCW Titles to each other.

So, two, MAYBE three primes for Savage as one of the mainstays in professional wrestling. He may not have been on the superstardom level of Hulk Hogan or even Ric Flair, but it was impossible to disqualify the fact that he was a major player during most of his career if only for his charisma and in-ring ability.

I'd say he's a bigger star than Flair. WWE was bigger than WCW when both were still having good matches. He might have been number two in WWE, but It was still better than being number 1 in WCW.

Also when WCW was ahead of WWE Savage was having quality matches. While Flair was having matches that are only marginally better than what he's having now.

I'd say he's a bigger star than Flair. WWE was bigger than WCW when both were still having good matches. He might have been number two in WWE, but It was still better than being number 1 in WCW.

Also when WCW was ahead of WWE Savage was having quality matches. While Flair was having matches that are only marginally better than what he's having now.

Ok, but is being # 2 in WWF better than being #1 in WCW AND NWA? Because that brings Flair a bit higher, considering NWA meant something then.

WCW wasn't ahead of WWF because of Savage. He as a nice asterisk on those years, but Savage, like Hart, wasn't the reason.

Finally, to bring this full-circle and return the debate to Savage vs HHH, can you give the nod that HHH was a major reason for WWF's return to dominance over WCW (DX and the Austin angles) and that Savage was technically present in WCW when it went downhill?

This is a dream match of high calibur, not as big as Hogan vs Rock, but still a great match-up nonetheless. This is as even as it is going to get where both men have a good chance of beating eachother and there is no odds-on favourite or underdog. That being said, I would have to go with my favourite, Triple H for the win, I don't see a reason where Savage can easily beat Triple H, or vice versa, it all comes down to personal preference in this one, and that is what is going to hurt The Game because he is definitely hated more than the Macho Man.

I got a good controversial finish for this one that does not make Savage look weak and has Triple H winning: The match goes on for a good 30+ minutes with both men giving it their all, HHH fueled by the hatred of the fans and Savage fueled by the love of the fans. Both men eventually goes outside the ring where Trips whips Savage into the steel steps and takes Miss Elizabeth hostage in the ring. Trips threatens to hurt Elizabeth if Savage gets back into the ring before the 10 count, so Savage stays outside and loses by a 10 count because he did not want to risk having Elizabeth hurt like a true Face would do, and Triple H gets a very crooked victory with the fans booing him like their is no tomorrow.

You have here, two guys that are pretty evenly matched up as far as size, speed, and agililty. I would even say they are both have tremendous in ring presence about them as well. I think you can make an argument for both of them, so what happens when a matchup like this is too close to call, you go with personal preference.

I grew up with Randy Savage, even enjoyed him as a heel. I just watched the Wrestlemania Anthology over the course of the last few months, and Imiss the fuck out of Randy Savage. The guy has it all. Even when he went to WCW he managed to stay around the top of the company, and had a tremendous feud with DDP.

Simply put, Randy Savage maybe the best over all wrestler left in this thing, and that says a lot considering some of the names left in this thing.

I always thought that Savage was the consumate professional. There was little he couldn't, or wouldn't, do. He had all the style and charisma he needed to dominate in an era when Hulk Hogan ruled the world. He was equally adept at being a face or a heel, in a time when there actually was a difference between the two.

I admire Trips' ring knowledge and professionalism, especially now that he has learned that part of his job is putting others over. While he may be one of the ugliest human beings alive, he did manage to bag a hottie, and let's face it, who wouldn't want to do Steph? He's an inspiration to all we ugly guys out here.

My vote goes to Savage. He's one of the best all time.

MP

Ok, but is being # 2 in WWF better than being #1 in WCW AND NWA? Because that brings Flair a bit higher, considering NWA meant something then.

I'd say so. WWE was by far the bigger wrestling company. Flair might have been the ''wrestling fans wrestler'', but how many, compared to Savage actually saw his glory years?

WCW wasn't ahead of WWF because of Savage. He as a nice asterisk on those years, but Savage, like Hart, wasn't the reason.

I agree.

Finally, to bring this full-circle and return the debate to Savage vs HHH, can you give the nod that HHH was a major reason for WWF's return to dominance over WCW (DX and the Austin angles) and that Savage was technically present in WCW when it went downhill?

A reason. Not a major one. The D-X of late 1997 was HBK and his sidekick HHH. So yeah, D-X with HHH involved were a big aspect of it. But I think HHH's role could have been done by several people at that time.

As for Savage. He was involved when WCW went downhill. But really it was after Savage was done with the company that the company really turned to shit. WCW in 1999 still had a lot going for it, and it could have made a comeback. It was 2000 & 2001 when it was a lost cause. I don't believe Savage was still involved with the company then.

Triple H is another man who is very blindly hated on because of his backstage politics (which granted are terrible). But he's a legend, and you can't even begin to deny the fact that he's a future Hall of Famer. When I think of the WWE after the Austin high let down, I think of Triple H. His heel run in late 99 to mid 2001 was spectacular, and he came through with great matches every single time he main evented.

But Randy Savage did all of that, and more. I've said this once before, but seriously, go and find a tape trader, and get pretty much any MSG show from the WWF in 84-90, and you are bound to see a classic match. I mean that 100%. He delivered every single time he was out there.

And when you compare the two, you just can't vote against Savage here. Triple H made a great run again this year, but alas it stops here.

I'm glad that I can come up with enough reasons as to why Savage should beat Triple H, because if I couldn't I'd have to make some up.

This match, is one of my all time favorites going against one of my least favorites. Pretty much everything has been said about why Savage is so great. Xfear pointed out the best reason, no matter who he was against or where the match was Savage delivered. Whether it was at MSG for SNME or if it was in Mankato, MN in front of 5,000. 93,000 people packed into the Silverdome because of Hogan vs Andre, but could only talk about Savage vs Steamboat when they left. Thats called stealing the show, and Savage did it often.

Triple H gets picked on a lot for being a politicker, an asshole, and an ass kiss. I'm not sure how much of it is true, but one thing that stands, is that HHH definately benefitted from being part of the Kliq, and getting "in" with the right people. I don't care what anyone says, I don't think HHH was worthy of the spots he was given during the Attitude era, leading up to today. I will never have him ranked anywhere near anyone like Hogan, Andre, or Savage despite the fact he may beat them all in this tourny. His title reign as the leader of Evolution is also one of the most boring reigns in my opinion.

Why all of the hate for HHH. Yes I'm sure he has some backstage politics but when was the last time he was heavyweight champ. If he has to be on top then why has it been so long. He put over Shelton Benjamin, Jeff Hardy, and others who aren't in his league.
Savage is great no doubt. He is not better than Andrea the Giant and yet he is going to beat HHH after he beat Andrea. Come on.
HHH is best as a heel. He takes after Flair, Flair best matches and feuds were as a heel minus the Terry Funk feud. Due to this I think you have to favor HHH. He will feed off of the boos and will probably have to cheat to win but he should win. I don't see a pedigree of top rope elbow winning this one as one person said it will be a rollup with the foot on the ropes. HHH advances after 47 minutes. Great match!

Why all of the hate for HHH. Yes I'm sure he has some backstage politics but when was the last time he was heavyweight champ. If he has to be on top then why has it been so long. He put over Shelton Benjamin, Jeff Hardy, and others who aren't in his league.
Savage is great no doubt. He is not better than Andrea the Giant and yet he is going to beat HHH after he beat Andrea. Come on.
HHH is best as a heel. He takes after Flair, Flair best matches and feuds were as a heel minus the Terry Funk feud. Due to this I think you have to favor HHH. He will feed off of the boos and will probably have to cheat to win but he should win. I don't see a pedigree of top rope elbow winning this one as one person said it will be a rollup with the foot on the ropes. HHH advances after 47 minutes. Great match!

HHH isn't losing to Savage because people "don't like his politics." If HHH were losing to Charlie Haas, I would play the politics card, but this is Randy goddam Savage. The Greatest Feud Participant in Pro Wrestling History!

Savage found ways to win a fair amount of the time. He almost found a way to beat Steamboat. He found a way to beat Flair. He found a way to win the WWF Title at Wrestlemania 4 (that way was Hogan with a steel chair) and he found a way to beat many others.

HHH has also, but we can't cry WrestleZone screwjob because HHH is losing to a guy with Savage's credentials. HHH would give Randy a good match, and I have not even voted yet I am so on the fence, but let's not discount Savage against HHH.

Yeah I don't think you can say Wrestlezone screwjob either. Hell, we're in the elite 8, anyone losing at this point isn't getting screwed. I could probably listen to an argument of Savage > Andre before Triple H > Andre.

The thing you have to remember, Savage managed to become the solid #2 guy behind Hulk Hogan during Hogans primetime. That's quite an accomplishment. Hogan is on a different stratosphere when it comes to wrestling, so to be 2nd fiddle to him is no shame. Hell Savage carried the torch for a year with Hogan in the same company. If Savage was around at any other time, the WWE would have been built around him.

TO IC25 & THE SHOCKMASTER
I'm not crying screwjob. If Savage wins I think he deserved to win. I think HHH is a little better but very little at that. I just hear so many derogirty remarks about HHH but he is no Hogan is what I am saying. He might loose 10 times in a year, Hogan wouldn't loose 3 times in a year that is what I was getting at. If savage wins I'm not going to cry foul. If my post appeared that way I apologize. I just hope people truly look at the match for what it is a great match and it shouldn't be 2/3 Savage. This should be at least 80-20.

TO IC25 & THE SHOCKMASTER
I'm not crying screwjob. If Savage wins I think he deserved to win. I think HHH is a little better but very little at that. I just hear so many derogirty remarks about HHH but he is no Hogan is what I am saying. He might loose 10 times in a year, Hogan wouldn't loose 3 times in a year that is what I was getting at. If savage wins I'm not going to cry foul. If my post appeared that way I apologize. I just hope people truly look at the match for what it is a great match and it shouldn't be 2/3 Savage. This should be at least 80-20.

I don't thing you blatantly came off crying screw job at all. It was more of a "let's not travel down that slippery slope" sort of a reaction, I hope you weren't taken aback by it.

It is a damn shame that someone with HHH's talents gets branded with the "politics" yellow card each time he reaches a certain level. Paul Lesveque, as a human being, deserves better. I understand that there are only so many spots at the top, but come one! My hero, Brett Favre, refused to relinquish his top spot for many years (until this year) and people simple labeled him the ironman, the all-American boy. HHH wants to stay on top and he's a backstage creep and has to play politics. Not fair if you ask me.

Anyway, Tarp, nobody misconstrued what you said, no need to apologize for anything my man!

IC25 we're cool. I'm just hope people can see that HHH doesn't get everything because of who he is. He will take a backstep when needed. At least with this top 8 we have six bonfied deserving and then big show & RVD. Forgive me RVD guru but he doesn't deserve to be here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back