Welcome Back, Jim Cornette!

It's Damn Real!

The undisputed, undefeated TNA &
As noted, Jim Cornette made his return to GFW during last night’s Destination X special, and is present at tonight’s Impact tapings, which will air on August 24th and the 31st.

We also reported earlier today, via Les Thatcher on Wrestling Weekly, that Cornette has not signed a contract with GFW, so his longterm status with the company is unknown.

Cornette clarified his status with GFW on his podcast today, and confirmed he has no deal with the company despite his return last night. Cornette added he is not a member of the GFW roster, and that he had been contacted directly by Anthem to work for them. Cornette noted he has yet to sign anything with the exception of clearances for his likeness to be used on TV.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/874...status-and-future-with-global-force-wrestling

--

Frankly, this is perfect. I'm so burned out on authority figures, so not only is it great to have Cornette back—arguably the best authority figure in company history—but only on a part-time basis so the TV show "GM" isn't eating up valuable TV time every god damned week. Especially feuding with one another.

Above all else, he's better then Prichard. Bruce just did not work as a top boss as he didn't have any impressive level of charisma or star power to make it work. Cornette is a much bigger name and a far better on screen presence/talker. This is a big upgrade and one that I'm very glad to see, especially if Cornette is just there as a trouble shooter and not the standard boss.

Yup. Him being a face is critical, too. It allows for the heels on the roster to do their job so much better not having to play second fiddle to the "big bad" boss.

The only reason Bruce Prichard came back was to self-promote (his titantron was a "something to wrestle with" billboard, and he always wore the 'something to wrestle with' t-shirt on-screen). I hope he stays backstage with his "boy" Jeff Jarrett.

Also, I think this will keep Karen Jarrett off of TV for a little bit. If anything keep any segments with Karen centered around her issues with Sienna. But I like Cornette in this capacity. He above all else knows that the focus shouldn't be on him for long promos.

So, Cornette is working for the one company who hasn't fired him yet.

Just wait until he gets fired by them. He will then go on podcasts, and make statements where he blames everyone else but himself for his firing, and then hate on the company, like he did with WCW, WWE, and TNA in his original run there.

Cornette can be a bitter troll when he doesn't get his own way, and has an elevated sense of his own importance.

Cornette is working with them on a handshake deal right now so I doubt he will be a permanent fixture wthin gfw after those tapings. I'm just happy to see him back because he always been a great performer in and off camera and the young guys backstage can learn alot about wrestling and how to cut promos just by talking to him.

So, Cornette is working for the one company who hasn't fired him yet.

Just wait until he gets fired by them. He will then go on podcasts, and make statements where he blames everyone else but himself for his firing, and then hate on the company, like he did with WCW, WWE, and TNA in his original run there.

Cornette can be a bitter troll when he doesn't get his own way, and has an elevated sense of his own importance.

Yeah, Cornette has spent the last several years tarnishing his own reputation. He's been coming off as a bitter, hateful troll towards just about anyone who doesn't wrestle the way he thinks they should wrestle, anyone he feels has ever done him wrong or anyone who points out that you can't run a wrestling company in the modern world like it's still 1985.

While I admire his passion, sometimes it's so over the top and unreasonable that he's almost a parody of himself.

Yeah, Cornette has spent the last several years tarnishing his own reputation. He's been coming off as a bitter, hateful troll towards just about anyone who doesn't wrestle the way he thinks they should wrestle, anyone he feels has ever done him wrong or anyone who points out that you can't run a wrestling company in the modern world like it's still 1985.

While I admire his passion, sometimes it's so over the top and unreasonable that he's almost a parody of himself.

I kinda disagree with you guys on this, personally i think Cornette is doing what Cornette does best and that's being Jim Cornette. The fact that some fans don't agree on his point doesn't makes it wrong. When i listen to his podcast and he talks about current wrestling vs the old days, i get his point. The fact is, yes you can't run a wrestling promotion the way you would in the 70's or 80's, Fans are too smart for that. But their also the fact that the current generations of indy wrestlers, could learn a think or two from veteran like cornette and other from the old days that made a lot more money doing their thing back in the day then what even the most popular guy on the indy scene does in the day. The fact that the current indy wrestlers are more preoccupied by doing a millions spots to get themselves over instead of telling a story during their matches that doesn't help. That's why a lot of the current indy guys have short careers, The best exemple being Daniel bryan who had to retire at 34 because of all the bumps he took during his indy wrestling days.

Cornette might be a loud mouth and opinionated but that'S always being is character in and out of the ring. The fact of the matter is that he's not scared to say what on his mind which sometimes gets him in trouble with current wrestling fans that just read a out of context except of what he said on a wrestling website and hates him for it. When he like sometimes about current wrestling he will say that he liked it, and will do the same thing when he hates something. That what i loved about it because i learn so much about wrestling based on his opinion and stories

I kinda disagree with you guys on this, personally i think Cornette is doing what Cornette does best and that's being Jim Cornette. The fact that some fans don't agree on his point doesn't makes it wrong. When i listen to his podcast and he talks about current wrestling vs the old days, i get his point. The fact is, yes you can't run a wrestling promotion the way you would in the 70's or 80's, Fans are too smart for that. But their also the fact that the current generations of indy wrestlers, could learn a think or two from veteran like cornette and other from the old days that made a lot more money doing their thing back in the day then what even the most popular guy on the indy scene does in the day. The fact that the current indy wrestlers are more preoccupied by doing a millions spots to get themselves over instead of telling a story during their matches that doesn't help. That's why a lot of the current indy guys have short careers, The best exemple being Daniel bryan who had to retire at 34 because of all the bumps he took during his indy wrestling days.

Cornette might be a loud mouth and opinionated but that'S always being is character in and out of the ring. The fact of the matter is that he's not scared to say what on his mind which sometimes gets him in trouble with current wrestling fans that just read a out of context except of what he said on a wrestling website and hates him for it. When he like sometimes about current wrestling he will say that he liked it, and will do the same thing when he hates something. That what i loved about it because i learn so much about wrestling based on his opinion and stories

I'm not saying that Cornette is wrong, because ultimately those are just his opinions and unless your opinion is something like, black people should go back to being slaves, then your opinion can't be wrong.

I just think that Cornette embodies a certain viewpoint that some fans have, and it's that old wrestling was better. I'm not here to argue that the 70s and 80s were inferior to what we see today, but the fact that can't be denied is that wrestlers today are far more athletic than they used to be, and are capable of so much more in the ring. The fans attitude has also changed as well. Hulk Hogan's in ring style was damn near perfect for the time, but no one is going to argue that Hogan was a great in ring technician. The man himself admits he basically had three punches and a leg drop. Fans of the era ate it up though. If you were to try to get a guy over with that same style in today's product, it wouldn't work. Times have changed and while some people still care about a good story and good psychology, most people just want to see high spots and flips. Neither side is wrong, but I disagree with Cornette's notion that newer guys are making a mockery of the business. It's wrestling, it's not a serious matter in the first place.

I think he also knows that his statements keep him in the public eye, so he plays it up. Sure, he might hate Joey Ryan, but the rants he goes on regarding Ryan and his superhuman penis are, in my opinion at least, just him playing his character to stay relevant in a changing industry.

I'm not saying that Cornette is wrong, because ultimately those are just his opinions and unless your opinion is something like, black people should go back to being slaves, then your opinion can't be wrong.

I just think that Cornette embodies a certain viewpoint that some fans have, and it's that old wrestling was better. I'm not here to argue that the 70s and 80s were inferior to what we see today, but the fact that can't be denied is that wrestlers today are far more athletic than they used to be, and are capable of so much more in the ring. The fans attitude has also changed as well. Hulk Hogan's in ring style was damn near perfect for the time, but no one is going to argue that Hogan was a great in ring technician. The man himself admits he basically had three punches and a leg drop. Fans of the era ate it up though. If you were to try to get a guy over with that same style in today's product, it wouldn't work. Times have changed and while some people still care about a good story and good psychology, most people just want to see high spots and flips. Neither side is wrong, but I disagree with Cornette's notion that newer guys are making a mockery of the business. It's wrestling, it's not a serious matter in the first place.

I think he also knows that his statements keep him in the public eye, so he plays it up. Sure, he might hate Joey Ryan, but the rants he goes on regarding Ryan and his superhuman penis are, in my opinion at least, just him playing his character to stay relevant in a changing industry.

Listening to his podcast I feel like his statements about joey ryan are his real feeling and not him playing a character to stay relevant vecause he really doesn't need or want that. I'm not going to argue about ryan and other guys that does stupid stuff like the penis stuff because I know that they are a small group of fans that does like that, but l actually agree with his position on this. Guys like ryan are a disgrace to the wrestling business and shouldn't be even accepted in the business and I feel like I'm not the only one thinking that.

When cornette is saying something bad about a wrestlers, I do believe it's his real feeling about the wrestler and not him trying to stay relevant like some fans and wrestlers believe. Because like he say, why would he want to stay relevant in the wrestling business since he doesn't want a full time gig anymore. The fact his cornette have more fans that most of the indy darlings have, so he doesn't need the attention that fans and wrestlers thing he need.

Personally couldn't give a damn about Cornette. Sure, he may be fun to listen to. But, we've had FOUR authority figures pop up since March. Kinda have more than my fix. And Jeff Jarrett is already making cameos. Why did they need to bring Cornette exclusively as an on-screen GM? What good is that gonna do other than roll out another dirty suit off the TNA closet for people to pop at for a few weeks before they trot out the next one?

It's the usual problem. Instead of going for something new, they trot out what they once lost and it just accentuates it.

Personally couldn't give a damn about Cornette. Sure, he may be fun to listen to. But, we've had FOUR authority figures pop up since March. Kinda have more than my fix. And Jeff Jarrett is already making cameos. Why did they need to bring Cornette exclusively as an on-screen GM? What good is that gonna do other than roll out another dirty suit off the TNA closet for people to pop at for a few weeks before they trot out the next one?

It's the usual problem. Instead of going for something new, they trot out what they once lost and it just accentuates it.

But that's the wrestling business in a nutshell, what old is new again, WWE does it, NXT does it and now GFW does it as well. Even in the indies they kinda do it as well. That's how the business works, i not saying that it's right but that's how the business work, if you can get new people watching while you bring somebody or something from the past, that's good for them.

But that's the wrestling business in a nutshell, what old is new again, WWE does it, NXT does it and now GFW does it as well. Even in the indies they kinda do it as well. That's how the business works, i not saying that it's right but that's how the business work, if you can get new people watching while you bring somebody or something from the past, that's good for them.

Do they do it literally every taping? Of course not. Nostalgia is only good once in a while. But GFW has been rolling out the old every single set of tapings since the start of the year. Dave Penzer, Matt Morgan, Magnus, Petey Williams, Low Ki, Sonjay Dutt, Karren Jarrett, Konnan, Homicide. Whenever TNA is in a pickle, de default reaction is to bring people from the past and say "Hey, remember him?"

Killjoy is spot on about the TNA using past talent to make themselves known again. Yes, it is a good thing but it demotes the newer talent that is with the promotion. It can show lack of faith to those that want to make GFW more than a glorified indie promotion. I am all for Cornette coming in if he does not eat up so much TV like many other past authority figures have and always do. GFW needs to focus short and long term at the same time or their product will never adapt and will remain a glorified indie promotion when GFW honestly deserves more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back