What if Stone Cold Signed With TNA Back in 2002?

BringThePain834

Getting Noticed By Management
After watching some 2002 WWF/E and that Austin shoot via phone of an episode of Raw, which then after he quit the company, it led me to think about this. Stone Cold Steve Austin, signing with TNA, how would that have gone? TNA was headed for big things right from the beginning and having Austin as their biggest star would have been something. Many fans were expecting this to happen, myself included, as it took TNA a long time to find a "big star" and had they signed Austin, we could have seen feuds like Austin/Ron Killings, Austin/Jarrett, etc. Having Austin around would have been great for this new company and to this day, I still wish he signed with them after quitting the WWE. TNA needed to announce a blockbuster signing right off the bat and Austin would have been perfect seeing that he was fresh off quitting the WWE. Opinions?

Well, he wouldn't have walked onto their first broadcast. That was on June 19th, 2002. Austin walked out on WWE in July of 2002, so he'd have been coming in at least a month after they'd already begun producing their weekly Pay-Per View programs. They ran weekly PPV's through to 2004 when they got their first television contract with Fox Sports.

So unless you think Austin was going to serve as a massive draw to fast-track their television contract, the only way you'd have seen him at the time was by illegally streaming their shows or paying for weekly PPV's.

This makes no sense for either Austin or TNA for a number of reasons.

1 - Austin was past his prime - He was 38. He could probably still go but not too much longer.

2 - Austin would have wanted too much money - Austin didn't need TNA, and it was obvious he no longer had a passion for the business. Therefore, it's a correct assumption that Austin would have wanted a lot of money. Not saying Austin is wrong for wanting that money because circumstances dictated.

3 - TNA needed to distinguish itself - TNA should be different. Quit trying to be another WWE. Establish your own brand.

4 - Austin had other issues - The domestic violence issue started around May-June 2002. TNA wouldn't want to be tied to that.

Sorry, but this wouldn't have worked. Signing one of the the biggest wrestler (tied with Hogan) of all time sounds great on paper, but in reality not so much.

My opinion is that this is extremely fucking stupid. Why would he sign with TNA where he would make less money when he was clearly tired of wrestling and wouldn't even show up for a WWE event where they were paying him pretty damn good. Stupid post. Nice try.

Holy Moly Folks!!! It's can't be...It's...It's...Stunning Steve Austin!!!! But he's under contract to that company up North. Yeah, that NEVER would have happened. Mainly due to Austin's distaste for Jerry & Jeff Jarrett, but it was a nice try. Impact Wrestling still wouldn't have been able to compete. The only way WWE will ever face competiton from another organization is IF a media mogul or huge wrestling fan or maybe even a group of retired professional wrestlers back said organization. It would have to go almost identically to how the Monday Night War began with stealing TOP superstars from WWE. However, WWE is even better prepared now for a mass exodus IF that ever did happen with NXT.

My opinion is that this is extremely fucking stupid. Why would he sign with TNA where he would make less money when he was clearly tired of wrestling and wouldn't even show up for a WWE event where they were paying him pretty damn good. Stupid post. Nice try.

settle down buckaroo your opinion is irrelevant. There is a reason why this started off with a what if? question. You're letting irrelevant stuff that is of no concern to you like money and his acting out towards Vince combined with your Austin fanboyism cloud your judgement. Austin would have done what is good business for Austins bank account and ego. if he actually wanted to do it and at that time the opportunity to keep raising hell unfiltered without the red bureaucratic tape and sticking it to vince would have been appealing at the very least.. in 2002. As long as you have a marqui name like Angle that did exactly that at some point facing the same issues( mostly his paycheck right?), anything you have to say to discredit that notion seems pretty silly.... AND THATS THE FISHING LINE BECAUSE SHARK BOY SAID SO

Even if under some crazy scenario where he signed, I don't think it would've really made that significant of a difference. Assuming he signed in 2002, it may have increased their PPV buy rates, may have even gotten them a TV deal faster, but Austin was already done physically by then.

He was still a big name, but even by then he wasn't the draw he'd been a few years prior. I think the intrigue of it would've certainly resulted in a big bump for TNA, but in the long run, it's no different than Angle, Hardy, Sting, Hogan, etc. Booking, promotion, etc. are all just as big if not bigger than the performers themselves, and TNA has proven that even with some of the biggest names of all time, they weren't able to capitalize on it in any significant way.

settle down buckaroo your opinion is irrelevant. There is a reason why this started off with a what if? question. You're letting irrelevant stuff that is of no concern to you like money and his acting out towards Vince combined with your Austin fanboyism cloud your judgement. Austin would have done what is good business for Austins bank account and ego. if he actually wanted to do it and at that time the opportunity to keep raising hell unfiltered without the red bureaucratic tape and sticking it to vince would have been appealing at the very least.. in 2002. As long as you have a marqui name like Angle that did exactly that at some point facing the same issues( mostly his paycheck right?), anything you have to say to discredit that notion seems pretty silly.... AND THATS THE FISHING LINE BECAUSE SHARK BOY SAID SO

Well apparently my opinion couldn't be THAT irrelevant if you took the time to respond to it. Don't get butthurt over what I said buddy.Also at what point did I say I was an "Austin" fan? I've never been an Austin fan but let me tell you something kid....If you think Austin joining TNA in 2002 would have been "Best for business, ego and bank account" than you're fucking delusional. I'm sorry...Angle who? Last time I checked that dude isn't on regular television programming and he's admitted he wants to end his career in the WWE. Take a fucking hike, idiot.

Austin would not have made any difference. Besides Austin has a huge ego. He refused to put over Lesner coz it wasn't a big stage. What do you think TNA was back then? Not that it is a big stage now.
Sting and Hogan couldn't help TNA even when it was somewhat established.
They would want to create their own stars and moments. Something like Roode's title run and the other less famous Austin beating him.

Well apparently my opinion couldn't be THAT irrelevant if you took the time to respond to it. Don't get butthurt over what I said buddy.Also at what point did I say I was an "Austin" fan? I've never been an Austin fan but let me tell you something kid....If you think Austin joining TNA in 2002 would have been "Best for business, ego and bank account" than you're fucking delusional. I'm sorry...Angle who? Last time I checked that dude isn't on regular television programming and he's admitted he wants to end his career in the WWE. Take a fucking hike, idiot.

I don't think your post advanced the conversation therefore I guess it wasn't very relevant. Seems like borderline trolling to me. The OP is posing this as a hypothetical. A "What if?" situation to see where others think TNA would be as a company if it had the benefit of the wrestling's biggest star who during the same time was going through a career transition. It doesn't matter why this wouldn't have happened. It didn't happen. That's what makes it a what if and that's what made your comment irrelevant. Also you responded to criticism by calling a poster "Kid" to try and gain some sort of imaginary leverage over him. That's probably one of the most annoying things people do around here.

Anyway, to the point of the thread and ignoring any timeline issues I think having Austin early on in TNA's lifespan would have sped up the process of them getting their first tv deal. With that said, TNA would have been forced to invest in other big name talent because the marquee value of Austin / Jarrett and Austin / Killings isn't appealing whatsoever. At least Hogan had Ric Flair and Vader when he got to WCW. TNA would have had to have gone out and bought themselves a few bad guys to accompany Austin. Otherwise the initial spike in interest they'd receive from adding wrestling's biggest star would fade pretty quickly I think.

It would have had little to no "Impact"

You shouldn't have even posted. What a half-assed response.

Signing Austin would have created a pretty big initial surge of popularity, but I wonder how long that surge would last without TNA signing other guys that can hang with Austin. Plus, how much longer could he really have kept working in the ring? By that time, his body was breaking down and he had some behind-the-scenes issues. Perhaps he could have signed for just a month or two, to build up for one big match at a big PPV and get a nice chunk of money for it. That seems like it would have been much more possible than actually signing full time with TNA.

WWE probably would've sued TNA because what draws is the "Stone Cold Steve Austin" character. WWE probably owns that, correct? So anything resembling its likeness would have been means for WWE to sue TNA and end its existence.

WWE probably would've sued TNA because what draws is the "Stone Cold Steve Austin" character. WWE probably owns that, correct? So anything resembling its likeness would have been means for WWE to sue TNA and end its existence.

What they are perceived as or are identified as in terms of persona is not a copyrightable work or works. If he showed up, doesn't own the rights to the term "Steve Austin" or "Stone Cold Steve Austin" and TNA continued to reference him as such, yes, they could be sued. If Austin himself owns the name, the way MVP owned his name, then it wouldn't matter.

He'd have jobbed to Jarrett multiple times, sandwiched around a one-week NWA title reign before getting disgusted and going home.

I think he needed a break and not having the creative control when he walked out would have still lingered. He quit but was still under contract so he wasn't legally signing with TNA. He may have been tired of the business but I'm sure he would have asked for the highest salary and creative control but the last thing TNA needed was another Hogan dragging them down.

They couldn't sign Austin back then, he was the biggest name in the business and TNA was just getting off the ground. Doubt they could afford him.

First, when Austin walked out he was still under contract - No way he shows up on a rival wrestling program without both him & said company being sued into oblivion.

In the past....every huge federation switch happened when the talent for whatever reason was not under contract to their former employer....Brett Hart released from WWE goes to WCW in 1997, Ric Flair released from his soon to expire contract after refusing terms of an extension goes to WWE in 1991, Kevin Nash & Scott Hall finish their deals with WWE and arrive in WCW in 1996, Lex Luger gave notice and left when his WCW contract expired soon after Super Brawl 92 for WWE, and was working without a contract in WWE, no deal in place, when he jumped ship to WCW in 1995.

Second, Austin has serious heat with the Jarrets from his USWA days before he went to WCW. Austin may have been very protective of his brand but most of the stars that worked with him liked him and got along with him, including HHH, Rock, Flair, Taker, & Hart. There is legit animosity between Austin & The Jarrets. Its highly doubtful he would ever work for them, especially considering....

Third TNA couldn't match WWE money. Kurt Angle went to TNA only because he burned bridges in WWE and was let go. Sting went there (and left millions of the table in potential money) because he didn't want to work full time or go on tour. But he didn't get paid nearly (neither did Angle) nearly what WWE would pay. Nash & Foley were past their prime (and Nash especially was injury prone) and did little work for little pay, every time WWE called they ran back. Hogan & Flair were long past retired and worked steady for decent pay but not WWE full time wrestler pay and not even what they get for appearances now. Austin in 2002 was 38 years old, physically and recognition wise he was the biggest star he'd ever be. Most really great wrestlers don't even hit their career peaks till they pass 35. Austin was a superstar, not a star who was old and injury prone, not a fired transplant, not an aging part timer who disdained travel and heavy schedules, not a retired legend looking for easy work. If you were going to perform and be the "Top Dog" why bother doing it for less money and less exposure ?

Fourth - Austin was hurting, his back was finished and when he did come back he did little for a brief return that basically only served as a way for him to FINALLY put over The Rock on PPV. He didn't want to wrestle and injury wise he couldn't. If you were going to stick around then why not stay with the company that gave your greatest success, your biggest pay checks, and has the biggest merchandising and audience ?

It's a "What If" that had virtually no chance of happening....

HBK to WCW in 1996,...that almost happened

Sting to WWE in 94 or 95.....that was debated

Flair to WWE in 98....almost happened

Austin to TNA in 2002 isn't even worth discusssing

Geez, guy asks a simple "what if" question and people flip out on him. :wtf:

Yes we know it wouldn't have ever happened but if it did, it would have been the equivalent of Hogan joining WCW. You can talk about Austin's career coming to and end and all that but you have to remember, back then we didn't know. His last match against the Rock wasn't advertised as his final match ever, it was just a continuation of his feud. And even after that, he was till on tv for months and months as a draw. There is no reason to think him going to TNA wouldn't have been successful. Obviously the money would be an issue but with Austin on your show, companies would have been more willing to deal with TNA than otherwise. Who is to say all those guys who went to wwe would have still gone? Remember, guys like Hogan and Mr Perfect didn't go straight to wwe, there were other attempts to create wrestling shows. With Austin in TNA and the attention that would bring, I could see others willing to come over too. wwe screwed up the Invasion angle big time but TNA could have taken the war to the next level - wwe literally fighting WCW. But this is one of those cases where all the stars would have had to align and they would have had to have the money to support it. But as popular and Angle is, as Foley and Christian are, they are not Austin - him joining TNA would have been a game changer.

I think it wouldn't have change I thing and I would have killed austin's legacy. Just look how they pretty much killed Kurt angle and mick Foley legacy and both guys started when the company had great momentum and when mick came out of TNA, he said that he was happy to finally get out of there since nobody knew how to book him. Angle went from being a main event level star to just another guy. Ric flair was another one they pretty much destroy when he was in TNA. Christian couldn't wait to get out of there. So Austin would have been a flop and destroy Austin legacy.

If hogan, one of the biggest legend outside of Austin, can help TNA, Austin wouldn't help.

Austin would not have made any difference. Besides Austin has a huge ego. He refused to put over Lesner coz it wasn't a big stage. What do you think TNA was back then? Not that it is a big stage now.
Sting and Hogan couldn't help TNA even when it was somewhat established.
They would want to create their own stars and moments. Something like Roode's title run and the other less famous Austin beating him.

He didn't want to put Lesnar over because he thought it was money to have the match on a PPV. In fact, losing on a ppv instead of a episode of raw is the opposite of being egotistical. TNA probably wouldn't have been able to pay him and I doubt he would have wanted to go there.

doesnt mean TNA couldn't have made a lucrative offer. he could have worked a much more limited schedule and maybe make a deal where he gets a % of ppv money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back