What makes a good RP?

Just for the new guys, this is always good.

Input yourselves!

Given I've been here for about a year now, here's some new bits I've picked up to add on to extra.

Take your time - While some RPers like James Baker (Pimpin) can produce top notch RPs within a day of the boards going up, I've found that 98% of immediately rushed and posted RPs tend to be poor quality. Remember, unless you've got a hectic schedule, you have about 7-10 days each round to come up with an RP, why the rush? While it's been noted not to leave RPs last minute and some people make it their tactic to do so for benefits, they don't always work.

I'm going to reveal a secret about how I do my RPs. I tend to write them after I've found my line of thought, but then leave it a few days and come back to it to find the flaws in order to get the right feel out of. That method works for me because I can get a better perspective out of my RP and not be caught up in the moment. Rushing does not benefit an RP, much like with anything, you have plenty of time to write one, just use it to your full advantage.

Do your research - This one I'm repeating from before because it's so important. If you look at some of the match RPs at Kingdom Come (Tag Titles, EurAsian, Blade/Rush, Real and World Title are the main ones I'm thinking of), look at how much research was done and used to benefit. I'm going to take me and Show and demonstrate the example of using it to our advantages.

Timeline

• [*]Show and Big Dave win a contract battle royale at Meltdown 20 (with TM and Ace David)
    [*]They wrestle a tag team match (Showtime/TM vs. Big Dave/Ace David - soon to called FHD) at Meltdown 21
    [*]FHD wins the tag titles in their PPV debut at Unscripted by Ace pinning Showtime
    [*]FHD go on to longest tag title reign
    [*]Show wins the Mayhem and EurAsian titles
    [*]Week before Kingdom Come, Show injures Ace David

A lot more has happened but these are key elements to note as to mine and Showtime's match, that's the history that is relevant to us, our Kingdom Come match was the first time we've had a solo face off and was almost a year in waiting to happen and we both brought our A games because we had the history to back up our RPs and add extra depth.

The same goes for most matches, the best RPers are ones who research everything they can or remember certain moments like, did I clash with him in a tag match or the Lethal Lottery? The more personal or more linked you can put yourself with your opponent, the better you can come off, naturally newcomers will find this hard at first because they won't have much to work on, but some people can really make their mark from the go, see Austin Reynolds and Chris Beckford for recent examples.

Also, research on WZCW itself, know the interviewers and staff, the shows and PPVs. Just to give a hint, there's 4 interviewers (2 male, 2 female), Two Co-Owners, one that runs Meltdown and one that runs Ascension. There are more, but if you find the NPC roster, then you're halfway home. And WZCW On Demand will give you every show that's existed.

That's two main tips I'll give to newcomers, I hope they help.

I really think a good RP starts with a good character. Go with something/one you can easily get into the mindset of. That's how I am with the dark, heel Phoenix I'm using right now. It is very easy for me to think like him, and the RP almost writes itself due to that connection. Obviously formatting and grammar come into play too, but as far as content, go with a character that you can easily become.

Ten man contract battle royal seems to necessitate a bump. Too bad I can't point flashing neon lights to this thread. Lots of good advice, including tips on what some current creative members like. This thread is your friend, new fish.

Thanks for bumping this, Wicked. I read through it all and wished this was bumped earlier :| I had no idea it was not a good idea to write in a standard format.

Keep it simple stupid.

When starting out chances are you don't have a rather in depth character, so keep it simple. I always give this advice to anyone who asks it but until you build up to where a complete random RP can happen the KISS way of doing it is the way it should be.

Be interviewed: This can have a nice back and forth feel to it. Research just how the interviewers act and don't attack/flirt.

Tell us about your last match:
what happened, what went wrong or right. Don't say you were screwed though.

Build your character: This is the fun part, are you an asshole? Why? Do you have a bad childhood? Why?

Tell us about the match coming up: If you're in a multiman match don't list your opponents and their gimmick, pick one or two that you will focus on. Build up an ally/partner. Why are you better than your opponent?

Also read your RP before you post it. I always leave a few hours between mine and read it back, it's amazing how many mistakes get through spellchecker.

Ten man contract battle royal seems to necessitate a bump. Too bad I can't point flashing neon lights to this thread. Lots of good advice, including tips on what some current creative members like. This thread is your friend, new fish.

But I've even posted here before...I think I'm OK :lmao:

On-topic: Pretty much read Lee's posts, and you'll be OK. He mentored me through my first run in the e-fed.

I'm a fan of description as my RP's will tell you but I like it to be kept inventive. Not things like 'and then he stood up and then he walked over there a bit and then he picked up...' and that malarkey. Try throwing some interesting words in. Even engineer some new phrases n stuff if you wish.

Should it be short or long? doesn't matter, if you're looking to write a good promo. how many words are in it don't mean shit. It's the quality of the writing more than anything.

Should the RP be based on the match or be based to set the character up?Umm both, building a match is the closest thing we do to what actual professional wrestlers do. But the story is what most people use to get you interested.

Should it be a one on one interview? rarely, I don't think interviews are used well often. It can be but the less it's used the better imo.

Everyone's input would be great! I was wondering about your infraction rules. Now while I understand that I don't have 50 post I would like to join your fed. I'm willing to take said infraction if I'm still allowed in the fed. Truthfully, without the fed it'll take me MONTHS to get 50 post. I enjoy reading topics more so than giving my own opinion sometimes as I think it's better to listen than to talk.

That said whatever you decide is more than fine by me. I'm not asking for a free pass just being very honest. In the fed I'll have a lot of post, outside of it not so much.

The rules are there for a reason. 50 posts or you will receive an infraction. Everyone else has done it. There is no free pass on this.

What I like to do is find a theme that will run through my RP. For example, in my match with Big Dave, I realised that Constantine is a huge patriot and Big Dave is a british citizen. For that reason, it made sense to talk about the American War of Independence and liberty.

You just need to look at the opposition and find a way to pick them apart. Apart from that, you can always find a different setting for your RP and that always makes your RP's a little different.

I would say give your character some development and it becomes a lot more fun and interesting to write.

So I'm having trouble with writing my RP's. They all seem the same. Can anyone give me advice to help me out?

Somewhere along the road I picked up three very important keys to writing roleplays here. I owe a lot of the credit to roleplayers like Ty, Phoenix, Lee, and multiple others.

Here are those three:

• Character Development
  • Cover the Past
  • Cover the Future

Those 3 + a beautiful thread that ties them altogether = a successful formula to use here.

But above all, roleplay to develop and not to win. Develop first and the winning will follow eventually. -Someone posted something along those lines once before, but it's 6:00 am and I don't have the current mental capability to go digging for it.

P.S. Proper grammar and polishing your roleplay does matter. I like to call those little mistakes "speed bumps." I say that because they will cause the reader to get off track when reading. It separates them from the piece and makes it less engaging. A good roleplay will flow fluidly and provide little to no speed bumps (of course we all have some of these every now and then, but the point is to try to eliminate as many as possible).

Well, this thread hasn't been used in awhile. I'll just give some of my own advice.

1. Character Development- I like for RPs to progress something in the character's paast, present, and/or future.

2. Creativity- Something small will pass in this category.

3. Length- For me the length of the RP doesn't matter. It could be long or short and it won't matter to me.

That is just some of the things. I could have some more tips/ideas/etc. later on.

Bumping this for the newer guys who have yet to read this very informative thread since there have been complaints/concerns about how to write a good RP and how to write a winning RP.

There are some points that are mentioned multiple times and some points that are slightly outdated but most of it is good stuff if you're willing to go through and read the posts made by experienced guys, rookies and now-experienced guys who offered advice when they were then-rookies.

I may or may not be looking to revamp this thread or add a big post to this existing one of a few items that have yet to be addressed or updated for the current fed.

I'd love to know what I'm doing wrong. At this point I really have no clue what that is and it's frustrating.

I have already given you personal feedback but I will be making an updated post about how to not only write a good RP but to make a winning RP. Expect it in the next couple of days.

Yeah I know you have and I appreciate it.

Will keep an eye on the post, would be nice to hear from the rest of creative regarding that topic though.

I'll say this. Reading ~30 RPs every other week on top of writing my own RP and writing matches can get tiresome. Entertain me with your RPs. When I read an RP, the quickest way to make me vote against you is to be boring. My attention span is that of an eight year old with ADHD who is also addicted to cocaine, so I lose interest when you don't engage me with your writing.You don't have to write a comedy character like I do to entertain me, but when you write an RP read it for yourself and then ask "Would other people enjoy reading this?" Take FunKay for example. Steven Holmes is pretty much the polar opposite of Mikey in every way, but Funker writes Holmes so well that it keeps me coming back.

Obviously you won't be able to entertain everyone each week. We've made it a running gag that Spidey and Dynamite hate KJ and I because they disliked one of our RPs. People will dislike some of your RPs, its gonna happen. But the best advice I can give anyone is to not be boring. I want to be painted a picture. I want to be able to close my eyes and play our RPs in my head and be entertained.

How I see it, you have to find a certain niche and stick with it. Take a specific character element, like dark (Ty, Dorian, Ram, & Beard), funny (S.H.I.T., Team Live Maz, Flex, & M) or realistic (Tastic, Constantine, Eve, & Holmes) and give the character a fresh spin on it. S.H.I.T. is a funny character that readers can get behind, just as M is, but they are not at all alike. Take a simple archetype like a millionaire, and add quirks that are unique to that wrestler. Voila. ElegAnt!

I believe you are personally on the right track with Lexi, R. From what I see, she is a southern belle-like character who is very family involved. If I were you, I'd keep using southern slang for her. Hell, make her do it more. As I see it, she's the only character on the roster right now who speaks in a country accent. Use that to your advantage.

Give her something more colorful to do in your RPs. Best advice I think I can give to ya. I'm no Shakespeare myself, but I know what a good read is, and a good read is anything that takes a simple idea and flips it on it's head.

Live Yáz;5015129 said:
We've made it a running gag that Spidey and Dynamite hate KJ and I because they disliked one of our RPs.

Gag is right. Why you don't show as much love for Taco Bueno is beyond me.

Here's something very few will know but probably agree with. What makes a winning RP in 2014 doesn't make a winning RP in 2010. I certainly remember that back then, how your RP looked matter probably more than the actual content. Maybe it was the amount of similar character, creative opinion, whatever. That's also a problem we all contend with over the years. Creative members each have different tastes too. Some don't like the silliness. Others don't like the broodiness. Some prefer realism. You'll notice the patterns with characters are popular or win the most.

Your best bet is to see the characteristics of the bigger winners in the fed and mold your RP to feature characteristcs from their RPs. Not copy the character. But see if they have very detailed narratives or the occasional witty drop or realism and adapt them to your RP's without breaking up your intended character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back