Who is a better mic worker, CM Punk or Miz?

who is better on the mic, Punk or Miz

• Miz

• CM Punk

Results are only viewable after voting.

Disturbed

Championship Contender
This has nothing to do with in ring ability because everyone knows Punk has Miz beat on that. This all has to do with who is better on the mic.

So to the question, my answer has to be......CM Punk. Yes I am a huge fan of the Miz but hear me out. Miz is only on his first World Title reign. He is still very young as to CM Punk who is in the prime of his career. Now they both worked very hard to get where they are by competing on the indy scene and they have both taken a similar career path with the exception of Miz who wasn't in ROH or TNA. Now I think Miz is better right now than CM Punk was during his first world title reign. Miz still has a lot of growing to do with his work on the mic. Miz tends to mess up a lot while I hardly ever hear Punk mess his words up when he is cutting a promo. During Punks first reign he was the same way as the Miz but as a face so what I am trying to say is, if Miz keeps going at the rate he is then he will be better on the mic than Punk in a year or two. Look at how much Miz has grown in the last year.

CM Punk.

But Miz is really close, they are by far the 2 best mic workers in the E. What about Alex Reily? I think he's phenomenal on the mic and he has only been in the WWE 6 months!

I'm probably leaning more towards CM Punk, though it's mostly to just how he presents himself whenever he's given a promo. Punk comes across as this self-righteous person that seems himself as being intellectually, physically, mentally and spiritually superior to most other people. He has such a condescending tone to his voice when he gives promos and makes it seem like that he's kind of "preaching" to the audience. People simply do not liked to be preached at outside of a religious setting and Punk has even incorporated a few aspects of religion into his Straight Edge Messiah character. I'm actually surprised that it didn't piss some hardcore Christians off quite frankly. I know a few people that are hardcore, militant Straight Edge followers and they behave much like Punk's character has done for the past year and a half. I don't know if Punk's character portrayal is extremely close to real life, but it's easy to imagine that he very much believes every word that he's saying regardless.

As for The Miz, I think Miz's promos are generally more passionate than Punk's. Miz definitely channels past frustrations in the wrestling business into his promos and we sometimes get some damn good ones out of him. The Miz to me comes across more like a classic heel than Punk does. Miz sings his own praises constantly, loves to hear himself talk and will hype the daylights out of any little accomplishment he attains.

I think what gives Punk the edge, however, is that his heel persona does seem more true to life than The Miz and that comes across. I can see CM Punk acting like a dick in the way that his character does because of my experience with militant Straight Edge followers. Even if Punk isn't the way he comes across as a heel in real life, it wouldn't take much for him to shift gears and actually adopt that persona to run more in line with his beliefs.

These men are both absolute gold on the mic. However, Miz seems to present only one emotion on the mic all the time. He always sounds evil and serious, while CM Punk is known to display a variety of different personalities. I find myself enjoying CM Punk a lot more in different situations, while The Miz just looks awkward in say, comedic situations.

I think CM Punk is better. The Miz is really good, but Punk is better. The fact that he got put in the announcer role says a lot. The Miz's promos are kind of the same all the time. He doesn't change it up a little bit. His comedy is not as good as Punk's. It seems Punk doesn't care what he says on commentary. I also like how he uses sarcasm and how he can be both serious and funny. Miz can be too, but like someone said already, he just sounds weird when trying to be funny.

Cm Punk he is GOLD. He can play heel or face Miz really hasnt been a Face but I dont think he would be that great. To me Punk is Gold and Miz is Good. To me Miz has always been a little overrated on the Mic dont get me wrong he's good but some treat him like hes the best ever to me theres better people on the mic them him and dont get as much credit like Christian. But dont get me wrg Miz is good just Punk is GOLD. Miz will be Gold one day just not now.

CM PUNK Gets my vote

CM Punk, and its not even close to me. I like Miz, but I find all of his promos to be quite similar. He's great at putting himself over and the hard road he took to get to where he is, and how he's exceptional as to how he got there. He's solid in a leadership role and in a back and forth banter with someone as well.

However, Punk has so much more range as a mic worker. The fact that he got mic time during the Royal Rumble match is very telling. The "Im better then you" gimmick has been done before, but not in the way Punk has done it. He's breathed new life into that persona with the Straight Edge aspect to it. And it seems surreal, and real, at the same time. Punk genuinely seems to believe in some of the things that he's saying, which makes it all the more fascinating.

Punk is capable of translating several emotions across on the microphone as well. He can be patronizing, condescending, angry, and self-righteous, all within the same promo. While Miz is capable of channelling more then one emotion, he tends to channel only one in a promo. Because of Punk's believability and his range, I give him the edge over Miz. I couldn't imagine Miz being able to pull off the commentary that Punk has been, which is no knock on Miz. Its more a testament to the excellence of the mic work of Punk.

CM Punk has shown many layers of personalities as face and heel, not to mention he's not as monotonic as The Miz. I often find The Miz to drag during his mic work. I don't blame him, I blame his lack of practice. He hasn't been paired up with guys who can work the mic yet. CM on the other hand has been delivering great stuff all the way since the indies. Dating back to his "invisible mic" promo's, his "straight edge" vignettes in ECW and his heel turn. All showing totally different personalities of CM Punk. Voting for Miz would be crazy.

Not matter how talented I believe the Miz is, CM Punk is just running away with this one. He's got, as mentioned above, many layers of personalities as a heel and face. He's just a golden promo worker. He can make you laugh, can creep you out, piss you off. He can do a lot with the stick, and is simply more versatile there than the Miz.

Miz over acts, he doesn't know how to be subtle, and thus I can never see him as more then a joke or as an actor, when Punk goes out he's subtle, spot on, and delivers promos like he means it, not like he's reading from a script or following a closely practiced pattern.

Punk. He's wittier than the miz, doesn't seem like he overacts as much as Miz does, displays a range of emotion. Miz is alright, nothing special IMO. Riley outshines Miz by a lot though; the guy is just so damn charismatic and entertaining to listen to.

For anyone who speaks of "overacting" as a downside needs to remember that the Rock is by far the biggest overactor in the history of the wwe. Whether on the mic or in the ring. While silly to remind, he his also highly considered one of the top mic workers of all time. Dusty Rhodes would be another to remember when saying such things. So, unless one is going to specify the type of overacting and how it differs, that argument doesn't exactly hold much water. By no means is this a comparison to the Rock and Miz, as if on the same level, it is important to remember that just because someone above you says it doesn't mean it's true. The Miz does overact, but this is wrestling, and overacting isn't always a bad thing.

For me though, it's Punk by quite a bit. Miz is solid on the mic, but he needs to show more versitility before being compared to a guy like Punk. Miz has found a niche that is working for him and he is riding it, which, any smart man would do. Now he needs to build on his ability. It wasn't that long ago when he had to resort to reading his lines off of a card, so he has made obvious strides. With Punk, I think it is obvious that he has found a second career for after his wrestling days. He is by far my favorite wwe announcer and he's only been doing it for two weeks. That speaks the truth more than anything.

For anyone who speaks of "overacting" as a downside needs to remember that the Rock is by far the biggest overactor in the history of the wwe. Whether on the mic or in the ring. While silly to remind, he his also highly considered one of the top mic workers of all time. Dusty Rhodes would be another to remember when saying such things. So, unless one is going to specify the type of overacting and how it differs, that argument doesn't exactly hold much water. By no means is this a comparison to the Rock and Miz, as if on the same level, it is important to remember that just because someone above you says it doesn't mean it's true. The Miz does overact, but this is wrestling, and overacting isn't always a bad thing.

For me though, it's Punk by quite a bit. Miz is solid on the mic, but he needs to show more versitility before being compared to a guy like Punk. Miz has found a niche that is working for him and he is riding it, which, any smart man would do. Now he needs to build on his ability. It wasn't that long ago when he had to resort to reading his lines off of a card, so he has made obvious strides. With Punk, I think it is obvious that he has found a second career for after his wrestling days. He is by far my favorite wwe announcer and he's only been doing it for two weeks. That speaks the truth more than anything.

Overacting is not always a bad thing... Unless you are someone who could never be a real actor, such as, say, a guy from reality TV. (Miz is WWE's version of Johnny Fairplay, & should be the same place right now: Somewhere else.) He rode it till the wheels fell off, & has reached the part where he no longer has any "ability" to "build on".

I lean toward Punk because he has natural charisma. His character is so immersed in his own personal life that his mic work just seems to be fluid. This is the same kind of mic work you got out of a guy like Mick Foley. He isnt flashy and he doesn't have to be, he can just be himself. If CM Punk wasnt a wrestler I believe he could be a fantastic actor or TV Personality.

The Miz is great on the mic because he is great with his character. He has been doing "The Miz" character since before he was wrestling. Sure he has a lot of natural charisma, but the greatness comes from the character itself. He is more like the modern day Rock(not as good, mind you) he plays his character so well and literally forces you to hate him.

Miz's mic work is more marketable, if he could continue this they could eventually turn him face like they eventually did with The Rock.

Miz's mic work is more marketable, if he could continue this they could eventually turn him face like they eventually did with The Rock.

I knew if someone began the Miz-Rock comparison, someone else would take it too far.

If Rock is so great in movies, why did Hogan's bomb? Just b/c you can do 1 thing someone can do doesn't mean you can do them all, or do them as well.

Miz is able to do a lot with what WWE gives him. But could he ever be close to what the Rock was? Never The only thing I see him being that the Rock also became is an ex-wrestler, & the sooner, the better for Mike & the audience.

I knew if someone began the Miz-Rock comparison, someone else would take it too far.

I will repeat my point, The Miz is like the Rock in mic style as they both played there character well, they are good actors. If the Miz had a better look he could actually be a good actor(all I could see him playing would be a frat boy)
The Miz/Rock comparision is extreamly loose, I could have used many different wrestlers in the comparison.

If Rock is so great in movies, why did Hogan's bomb? Just b/c you can do 1 thing someone can do doesn't mean you can do them all, or do them as well.

Because The Rock is more versatile as an actor, most people don't see him as "The Rock" they see him as Dwayne Johnson.

Hulk Hogan can only play Hulk Hogan(Or Thunder Lips).

Miz is able to do a lot with what WWE gives him. But could he ever be close to what the Rock was? Never The only thing I see him being that the Rock also became is an ex-wrestler, & the sooner, the better for Mike & the audience.

no he won't be like the Rock. He will be a long lasting heel(he already has lasted a while) and could be an Ok face(sorta on the fence about that one) but he will never be The Rock. He generates great heat(Not "X-Pac heat" either) and has improved greatly as a wrestler. The guy is going to be around for a while

I will repeat my point, The Miz is like the Rock in mic style as they both played there character well, they are good actors. If the Miz had a better look he could actually be a good actor(all I could see him playing would be a frat boy)
The Miz/Rock comparision is extreamly loose, I could have used many different wrestlers in the comparison.

And many would've have equally failed. Many are great wrestlers, like Rock but not Miz. Miz was even in "Tough Enough", which was a reality-wrestling mix. Did he win? No. Yet he wins the wrestling Title. Why?!

Because The Rock is more versatile as an actor, most people don't see him as "The Rock" they see him as Dwayne Johnson.

I wonder if SAG has another Dwayne Johnson listed. I know The Rock is Dwayne Johnson, but if he hadn't been The Rock, I may've skipped more of his films.

Hulk Hogan can only play Hulk Hogan(Or Thunder Lips).

And Miz can only play someone who has no business as a Heavyweight Champion.

no he won't be like the Rock. He will be a long lasting heel(he already has lasted a while) and could be an Ok face(sorta on the fence about that one) but he will never be The Rock. He generates great heat(Not "X-Pac heat" either) and has improved greatly as a wrestler. The guy is going to be around for a while

Agree with everything but that in bold.

Definitely CM Punk. Miz is good on the mic, but Punk is able to play all sides of the fence, and is so good on the mic they put him on commentary while he's injured so they can keep him on TV.

I also loved it at the Royal Rumble when Punk eliminated people then started preaching on the mic about Straight Edge. It was classic stuff.

I think Punk is Great on the mic and I think Miz is Really Good on the mic. I think its close But I have to give it to Punk because he's more diverse than the Miz is on the mic. They are both Really Good but I would just give Punk a slight edge.

To be quite frank, it's not even close. CM Punk is one of the best guys on the mic (in my opinion, of course) of all time. I love him. Not to take anything away from the Miz or say that isn't good, he's GREAT, but CM Punk greatly outshines him.

Personally, I feel if you want to ask which is better on the stick I'd go with Jericho vs Punk. :)

CM Punk for me. The Miz is also very talented. I wouldn't exactly say he was close behind. My reason for this is because CM Punk is always so intelligent when it comes to mic work. He`s hilarious and intelligent at the same time. CM Punk likes to get into inside jokes, Katie Vick was one I think WWE would never mention again. Not only that, he never messes up. Miz also doesn`t, but he usually babbles around simple stuff. Miz likes to talk about how great he is, and he barely focus` on the wrestler he should be making fun of. Miz is almost flawless, but he needs to find a better topic than I`m better than you. CM Punk says things like that, but he`s much more different when it comes to topics. Chris Jericho is pretty similar to CM Punk, but than again, CM Punk is very different. Chris Jericho is silly and serious at the same time, it`s gold. CM Punk is less serious in tone when it comes between himself and Jericho. His mixture is intelligence and being silly. Miz`s mixture is silly, and very unintelligent. He makes up a bunch of stuff as he goes along. What makes it so good, he never stulls or messes up. He keeps going on and on with what he`s saying, everybody buys into all of it INCLUDING ME :)

Miz doesn`t exactly have a gimmick besides cocky loudmouth, self said, Awesome. CM Punk has straight edge messiah or straight edge means I`m better than you gimmick. Also, I`d like to add, CM Punk makes better jokes than The Miz. I just happen to enjoy CM Punk`s promos over Miz. But I don`t want to take anything away from The Miz, because he`s very entertaining.

Top 3 Favourate on the mic currently in WWE

1.Chris Jericho (RETURNING SOON)
2.CM Punk
3.Miz

the Miz is great but he's very one dimensional, I cannot by into him being a face whereas Punk manages to play both roles perfectly, even better he is not a tweener, he's either loved or hated, which is ideally what a wrestler should do. Like some of the best heels say, it is much harder to get the fans to genuinely hate you which Punk can do. Punk wins this out hands down.

Punk is better on the mic, but the Miz has a lot of potential. His skill may surpass Punk's during his time as WWE champ, depending on how they use him.

CM Punk simply because he's been in the business a lot longer and is thus much more experienced but The Miz has the potential to become something of a Rock for this generation if he continues to put in the work and the creative team continues to supply him with the material necessary to push him beyond where he currently is. Here is to hoping he will continue on his current streak for a few years more before any inevitable shifts are made to his persona. While a face-turn for The Miz is far off, and I personally feel he will forever be remember for his cocky and arrogant heel run, it should be interesting to see him putting on promos as a cocky/funny face of sorts. As of now, though, Punk has the edge simply because of his experience. If the question here were, "who is the better wrestler?" then it would be a tough call. Punk wins on experience, but with The Miz billed to become the next John Cena, well... that's a different story altogether.

I think it is pretty close. I definitely give the edge to Punk. But, it is by a small deficit. The Miz is very good and brings a lot of heat. But I feel like Punk can carry it a lot longer. Punk truly goes on with some epic promos.

The Miz's promos seem short and more to the point than Punk's. While they both can escalate a feud verbally, Punk can straight up carry one. Like he did versus The Big Show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back