Will CM Punk ever main event a PPV?

One month of amazing shirt sales? HA pretty much everyone over the age of 12 is wearing a punk shirt in the crowd.

Punk not over? Wow guess you also miss the crowds every week. And that was not what I was pointing out. I was pointing out everyone says Cena sells. But it's not the truth. And how you you KNOW the ratings would be low without Cena? I think the WWE should try and it see. People always have said bad ratings if Hogan, Austin, Undertaker, Hart, The Rock, etc.. left but guess what EVERYONE IS REPLACEABLE from VKM to Cena. They could book anyone they wanted and push them like Cena and within 3 years they'd be the new John Cena.

Really? The whole grunge scene sucked lol I was in the pPunk scene in the 80's and 90's and the "grunge" scene was a scene for the trust fund kids who were too afraid to be real rebels but could pretend to be. Just another MTV creation.

If they handed out PHD's for missing the point I would have to call you Doctor whatever your name is. I mean seriously, you respond to an anology about CM Punk's drawing ability with "Grunge is for trust fund kids"? Well first, I agree. Grunge sucked, but that being about as far from the point I was making as humanly possible I think I'll move along.

I didn't say CM Punk wasn't over. I said he wasn't as over as John Cena and therefore shouldn't main event. As for everyone being replaceable, that's a load of crap. After Hogan they went to Bret. Bret didn't draw like Hogan did. Neither did HBK. It took four or five years for Austin to come along and catch fire. They lucked up and had both Austin and the Rock get insanely over but after that they waited several more years before Cena came along. This stuff didn't happen over night. And if you think the stop gap guys like Jericho, Angle, Bret Hart and so on drew anywhere near aswell as Hulk Hogan, Steve Austin or even Cena you're out of your mind.

T-shirt sales... You have no idea how many t-shirts CM Punk or any other WWE superstar sells so stop throwing that point around as if it's a fact. Not to mention it was last freaking year and I don't see WWE.com bragging about his t-shirt sales these days, do you?

You like Punk, great. I like him too. But I'm not a blind ass mark who can't sleep at night unless everybody admits that Punk is in someway the victim of a John Cena conspiracy to keep him down. There's one thing we know about Vince Mcmahon. He likes money. If he thought there was money in CM Punk vs anyone on the card other than Cena it would be booked.

The whole Cena is main eventing every ppv since whenever to me could simply be Vince McMahon paying Cena back for allowing Rock to go over at WM. It could be that simple. The way the WWE pay structure works is the guy in the top match gets paid the most. Vince really could just be paying Cena back for doing the job.

The thing about top guys and I'm not just limiting this to Cena is that on their way to the top they have had almost an entire roster put them over. In order for a cash cow to be created, many others are used to put them over. However at some stage in that wrestlers career, they need to start giving back, and start creating the next cash cow. Now this can be Punk or Bryan or Barrett or Ziggler or whoever Vince chooses but Cena needs to start giving back at some stage. I'm not saying nowish as he still is quite young, but with Punk holding the belt for so long, WWE are missing out on a big pay day by not promoting the WWE Champion whoever it may be as much as the cash cow whoever that may be. (I'm not going to get into the debate over Cena or Punk)

The Undertaker was seen as this invicable force (and still is) but when Stone Cold could beat him at every turn. He was the man. this never really hurt Taker, but just created another top star for the WWE to bank on. This cycle has been going forever, but Cena has been at the top for a very long time. Look at Hart to Michaels to Austin to Rock to Triple H to (roster split) Batista/Cena.

With CM Punk or Daniel Bryan's momentum, why not have him beat Cena? This would bring them up to another level, they are obviosuly able to handle the responsiblilty at the moment, but they wont get to the next level until the cash cow puts them over. At this stage of his career, Cena will always bring in money just like the Undertaker, but if WWE is to continue the next lot of big stars needs to be created and sooner rather than later at this point in time.

A guess you don't consider losing twice to Punk last year as "Giving back"? Or the Miz at Wrestlemania, or all the other ppv main events he lost last year. Who has he beaten this year that he needed to put over? He beat Kane a journeyman utility player. He beat Brock Lesnar, a part timer. How has he not given back when everyone who works with him gets the spotlight? He doesn't squash people. Everyone usually looks pretty strong when booked against Cena. So what exactly is the problem? Or is this more IWC not making any sense?

The WWE Title doesnt always have to be the 'main event'. And 'main event' doesnt always mean the last match either.

People on here still moan that Rock/Hogan wasnt on last at Wrestlemania 18, and instead Triple H/Jericho was for the Title. Same people here probably moaning that Punk and the Title arent on last!!!

I think its good that the biggest angles dont have to involve around the title.

God dammit, when will some of you people learn that there isn't one main eventer in the company. There's multiple main eventers in the WWE. Cena is just biggest maineventer in the WWE right now. The claims that CM Punk is a midcard champion is bogus and stupid. Punk is also a maineventer.

God dammit, when will some of you people learn that there isn't one main eventer in the company. There's multiple main eventers in the WWE. Cena is just biggest maineventer in the WWE right now. The claims that CM Punk is a midcard champion is bogus and stupid. Punk is also a maineventer.

How is it bogus or stupid? Every one of CM Punk's ppv title defenses and most of his RAW defenses have taken place in the middle of the card. His matches are not the selling point for the show, so he's a midcarder plain and simple. It's kind of silly that you deny that.

I highly doubt Punk is outselling Cena. Maybe during the summer of last year he briefly outsold Cena, but I don't think he's surpassed Cena by any means. Because if he did, why is he still taking a back seat? Is Vince McMahon just disregarding his business' best interest to punish people in the IWC? Take a look at the WWE's hirings the past year. This idea that they've got some kind of grudge against anybody who comes through the indie scene makes less sense by the day.

I agree with you, in that it makes no sense to hold a grudge against anyone the WWE didn't discover or create. However that does not make it not so. History and any number of Jim Cornette commentaries and shoot videos have told us as much. Vince and his cronies have always harbored resentment for any star from a different company he signs then ultimately buries just look at Ric Flair when Flair vs Hogan was the biggest dream match in wrestling that could have been made. Or what they thought of big time Southern stars who they could have in turn made into WWE stars most notable of the lot Terry Funk, Arn Anderson Tully Blanchard. Or what they could have done and the huge WWE stars they could have made from the WWE/WCW invasion. It has been told and told again how McMahon and Kevin Dunn believe if they didn't create you, then you are not a star or nobody has heard of you.

So yes even though it doesn't make business sense for Vince to not give Punk or whoever the champion may be the backing they deserve, the facts of the last two and a half decades have shown VKM does not care. If the star in question was not created by the WWE, and they don't fit into Vince's 80's eye for what he considers a star, then they don't get the main star treatment.

It doesn't look like that is going to happen, unfortunately. It would have happened by now. Punk has been WWE Champion for almost a year now and the only time he closed a show as champion was at a PPV event where John Cena did not have a match. Ever since winning the WWE Championship, CM Punk has been deprived of several main event opportunities. Let's take a look:

Survivor Series
He won the belt here, but the main event was Cena & The Rock VS Awesome Truth.

TLC
This remains Punk's only main event title defense. He retained against Miz and Alberto. John Cena was not on the show in a match.

Royal Rumble
Punk retains against Ziggler, but the Rumble closed the show. This does not bother me, it is a tradition.

Elimination Chamber
CM Punk opens and retains in the Chamber. Cena main events in an ambulance match, which made no sense.

Wrestlemania
Punk retains against Jericho, Cena main events with The Rock. Again, that one made sense too, it was hyped for AN ENTIRE YEAR.

Extreme Rules
Another retention against Jericho, but Cena main events against Lesnar. It sort of made sense, but Punk could have closed here.

Over the Limit
CM Punk retains against Daniel Bryan. Cena closes with Johnny. The GM gets to close but the WWE Champion doesn't?

No Way Out
CM Punk defeats Kane and Bryan, while Cena closes against Big Show. By this point, it had become a big problem.

Money In the Bank
Punk's retention against Bryan was rumored to close, but then Cena was chosen to win MITB so he got to close again. It makes sense when a match like MITB closes the MITB show. Not as big of a deal.

Summerslam
Will it be Punk VS Cena? Punk should main event without it having to be against Cena.

While it's not the end of the world, Punk could have and honestly SHOULD have main evented most of these PPV events. The Rumble and MITB shows I can let it slide, those gimmicks should historically close their shows. Cena VS Rock was a dream match that fans had been BEGGING for. However, the other shows should have seen our WWE Champion close them. Cena facing Big Show or Kane in a filler match, let alone the GM, should never take priority over the WWE Championship; and this is coming from a Cena mark. Either they should let Punk close a show without Cena being involved (and not at a show Cena does not work a match), as otherwise it comes off as them not having faith in him as a future top guy if Cena has to suddenly close everything no matter what his match is. that night.

Punk won't main event any PPV unless 2 things happen:

1) Him and John Cena are in the same match
2) John Cena isn't on the PPV

To be fair that's how it should be. John Cena is the #1 guy and main attraction in the WWE today, CM Punk is just the guy holding the title and the #2 guy at this point in time, therefore you will usually see him on the second to last match but very rarely the last match. Perhaps someday that will change but for the foreseeable future I don't see it happening unless 1 of the 2 scenario's listed above happen.

I feel the main event slot should be reserved for the top guy in the company to distinguish him from the rest of the pack. Punk may be champ but he isn't at the top of the mountain, the person who is on the peak should be last.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back