Wrestlemania Rematches

Guardian of Takhisis

Dark Match Winner
I was reading another post that was comparing the Triple Threat Ladder Match at Wrestlemania 2000 to TLC II that occurred at the following Wrestlemania. It made me wonder how people feel about other Wrestlemania rematches. Do you think that the first match was better or the second match? I looked up all the Wrestlemanias and here is the list I was able to come up with of matches that were done more than once. If you guys think of any that I missed let me know. It's been awhile for me watching some of these matches so I'll post my reviews after I'm done watching them all again.

Hulk Hogan vs Andre the Giant
Wrestlemania 3 and Wrestlemania 4

Bret Hart vs Yokozuna
WM 9 and WM 10

Undertaker vs Kane
WM 14 and WM 20

Austin vs The Rock
WM 15 and WM17 and WM19

Edge and Christian vs Dudley Boys vs Hardy Boyz
WM 2000 (Triple Ladder Match) and WM 17 (TLC II)

Kurt Angle vs Chris Benoit
WM 2000 and WM 17
(I'm including this one even though the one at WM 2000 was a triple threat. My question is do you think their match was better with Chris Jericho involved or do you think that they put on a better singles match)

Undertaker vs Shawn Michaels
WM 25 and WM 26
(I'll put this one up here even though there has already been multiple discussions about it. I want to include every match even if it's already been analyzed to death)

Undertaker vs Triple H
WM 17 and WM 27
(This is another one that people have already analyzed but, once again, for the sake of being complete I'm including it.)

HHH vs Orton vs Cena
WM 22 (HHH vs Cena)
WM 24 (HHH vs Cena vs Orton)
WM 25 (HHH vs Orton)
(This is another one where I included it even though they aren't exactly rematches. Triple H was involved in all three matches. Which one do you think was better. When he worked with Cena, when he worked with both, or when he went against Orton. I've heard talk that his match against Orton by himself was terrible. So discuss why you think the others were better, or do you feel that that match was better compared to the other two.

Well there you go. If I missed any feel free to post them so others can discuss and like I said I'm going to watch re-watch these matches hopefully within the next few days so that way I can put in my two sense.

Just got done watching both Bret Hart vs Yokozuna matches and here's my review of which one I thought was better.

Bret Hart vs Yokozuna WM 9

I liked this one better because it seemed more like a wrestling match. It might have been a shorter match but it seemed more fast paced then their rematch. The rematch had a lot of pauses and rests in the match. Plus it seemed that for the most part Bret controlled the WM 9 match with move after move. Yokozuna finally got some offense near the end of the match. Neither opponent really looked weak in this match. It also made Yokozuna to look like a real competitor because despite all the fast-paced action he wasn't really breathing heavy. That's a pretty good accomplishment for a man of his size. The ending to the WM 10 is a bit of a stretch. Yokozuna falls from the second rope and Bret is able to pin him when he had taken much harder shots before that and kicked out. Maybe they knew that Bret couldn't pull off an offensive move or perhaps they were running out of time and went with the easy finish. Who knows. This match seemed more like a spectacle match while the one at WM 9 seemed like an actual wrestling match.

Well there's my first review I'll check back later and post some more.

Hogan vs Andre, Wrestlemanias 3 and 4

Clearly Wrestlemania 3 is the winner. One of the great, defining moments in wrestling history, and the build-up to the match was amazing. Even if their Wrestlemania 4 match was "techincally better," which I don't think it was, the psychology of the WM3 match was perfect.

Bret vs Yoko, WM 9 and 10

I really liked their WM9 match. Yokozuna, the Royal Rumble winner, was on a tear and nobody had stopped him. Bret Hart was the "fighting champion," and the best hope to stop this monster. The end of the match was great with Fuji throwing salt in Bret's eyes, but the aftermath with Hogan was, as I look back on it, garbage. WM10 was also a well worked match, but the undertones from the prior matches (Bret / Owen, Yoko / Luger) set the bar a touch too high.

Taker vs Kane, WM 15 and 20

15 was a fresh concept. Kane was still a new presence and as far as we could tell, the monster who could stop The Undertaker. This also occured at a time before the streak was the end-all, be-all, so there was more drama. The Wrestlemania 20 match, though well-assembled, was more forced and didn't occur as naturally.

Austin vs Rock, WM 15, 17, 19

All three matches were magnificent. These guys had great chemistry and made it a point to come into their matches together at Wrestlemania in the best possible shape. Overall, 17 was the best of the three, though I didn't like how they suddenly shotgunned the "no holds barred" stipulation just as the match began. I'd have liked to have known that ahead of time, but whatever. The WM15 match was classic top face vs top heel work, with the face winning. The WM17 match was face vs face with a great swerve at the end. WM19 didn't tell the story the first two did, and both guys were basically on their way out of the 'E. 17 was best, then 15, then 19.

E&C, Dudleyz, Hardyz, WM 2000 and 17

I cannot really recall what was different aside from "one had tables and chairs in the title." Entertaining spot fests between three teams that defined their respective eras. But one doesn't stand out vs the other for me. The original E&C vs Hardys ladder match at the end of the best of 7 stands out because it was so innovative.

Angle vs Benoit, WM 2000 and 17

These two at Wrestlemania 17 was one of the great technical wrestling matches0turned-brawls in history, and these two guys did a great job selling the drama. The fact that both men got us so fixated on how they would make the other tap out, only to have Angle take the "easier way" and get a quick pin was brilliant. WM17 match all the way.

Taker vs Michaels, WM 25 and 26

These matches defined why Shawn was so great. He had people believing - TWICE - that he may just be able to do it, even when we went in knowing full well he wouldn't. And the build for both matches was amazing. WM 26 gets the SLIGHT nod for drama and the added interest of Shawn's retirement, but man both were solidly worked.

Taker vs HHH, WM 17 and 27

10 years apart, wow. The WM 17 match is an all time favorite of mine. The build-up before hand was amazing, and both guys left it all in the ring. The WM27 match had a load of drama, but also a load of rest, as both guys were older and banged up. At WM17, both guys were damn sure still top title contenders, and the added wrinkle of Stephanie McMahon-Helmsley and Kane made it that much better to watch.

there's a lot of mistakes on the OP's post but I've corrected them (the bolded parts)

Hulk Hogan vs Andre the Giant
Wrestlemania 3 and Wrestlemania 4
Most would agree that 3 is the obvious choice for obvious reasons, most importantly it was the main event of 3 and one of the biggest matches in the history of the WWE.

Bret Hart vs Yokozuna
WM 9 and WM 10
This was the main event of 2 straight WrestleManias but I think the right man won at WrestleMania 10. I could never understand Yoko's push, I always thought he sucked in the ring and in almost every aspect while Bret is an all-time great. Great to see the Hitman get the win at MSG after losing to Owen

Undertaker vs Kane
WM 14 and WM 20
WrestleMania XIV was when the feud was fresh, new, and extremely interesting. I would've never guessed at that time that Kane would still be an active wrestler in 2011 because he was merely feuding with Taker in 98 (Brian Lee's Undertaker didn't stick around after SummerSlam 94) but this feud was riveting and the reaction Kane got fueled his 13-year career thus far.

Austin vs The Rock
WM 15 and WM17 and WM19
Although this probably won't be unanimous I think that WM17 was leaps and bounds better than any other match that either man ever participated in. This was the same concept of Hogan/Warrior at WM6 but was bigger because Rock was bigger in 2001 than Warrior was in 90. This was the 2 biggest stars of that era, facing off (as faces) in the main event for the title - I think it's the biggest main event of all time.

Edge and Christian vs Dudley Boys vs Hardy Boyz
WM 2000 (Triangle Ladder Match) and WM 17 (TLC II)
Like people said in the other thread, all 6 people were bigger stars at WM17 and there was much better storytelling at WM17. In addition to that, this match was booked as the sequel to one of the most popular matches of all time at SummerSlam so it was destined to exceed WM 2000's match.

Kurt Angle vs Chris Benoit
WM 2000 and WM 17
It was better in 2000 when Chris Jericho was a part of it because of the gimmick of the match. First winner gets the European title, second winner gets the Intercontinental title?! Perfect way to end the Euro-continental reign of Angle without making him lose steam.

Undertaker vs Shawn Michaels
WM 25 and WM 26
I don't even like their match at 26 that much. 25 had me at the edge of my seat the whole match and at the time it was the most convinced I ever was that the streak was bound to end (before that it was Orton at WM21). 10 minutes into 26 I got the feeling that HBK was going to lose but in 25 I had no idea when the match was going to end it was one of the best matches ever.

Undertaker vs Triple H
WM 17 and WM 27
Even though I loved the match at 27 (and think it's better than HBK-Taker II at 26) I'd be a fool for not voting for 17 on this one. If anyone's seen the match at X-7 you'll know why, this match was just as brutal as the second one but they were in better shape and it was in the middle of a better, more developed storyline between them. In addition to that, the entrances were epic and the sledgehammer hit at the end had me think that Taker was out but he was not.

HHH vs Orton vs Cena
WM 22 (HHH vs Cena)
WM 24 (HHH vs Cena vs Orton)
WM 25 (HHH vs Orton)
Maybe I'm just a mark for triple threats but I honestly thought that WM24 was the best match out of those 3 options. Cena winning was kind of predictable at 22, just like HHH winning at 25 but no one saw Orton coming out of 24 with the WWE Title so I have to vote for that shock factor.

I had a similar thread earlier this year.

http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showthread.php?t=159284

The WrestleMania matches listed are between Superstars who faced each other at least twice on the Grandest Stage of the All. A WrestleMania Feud, if you will. If TNA’s Flagship PPV is called “Bound For Glory”, the WWE’s Flagship PPV should be called “Glory”.

1 and 2 – Mr. T and Rowdy Roddy Piper

3 and 4 – Hulk Hogan and Andre the Giant

4 and 9 – Hulk Hogan vs. Ted DiBiase (sort of)

9 and 10 – Bret Hitman Hart vs. Yokozuna

16 and 17 – Edge / Christian vs. Hardy Boyz vs. Dudley Boyz

16 and 17 and 18 – Hardy Boyz vs. Dudley Boyz

16 and 17 – Kurt Angle vs. Chris Benoit

15 and 17 and 19 – Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Rock

18 and 19 – Trish Stratus and Jazz

14 and 20 – Undertaker vs. Kane

22 and 24 – Triple H vs. John Cena

20 and 25 – Big Show vs. John Cena

24 and 25 – Triple H vs. Randy Orton

25 and 26 – Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels

17 and 27 – Undertaker vs. Triple H

Which WM Feud is your favorite??

In my opinion, the Best WM Feud was Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. the Rock at WrestleManias 15, 17 and 19. Half the reason is because they are two of my Top 3 favorites of all time. The Other reason would maybe have to do with there being 3 excellent matches and storylines to go with it.

Mine was more about which series was your favorite. For the most part, part 2 was better than part 1 and in the Austin / Rock WM feud, “No one remember Act 1 and Act 2, but Act 3…the final act…” you get it.

Let's see.

Hulk Hogan vs. Andre the Giant

The Wrestlemania III match is better for the moment and it was a longer match. But to me, Andre seemed to be in much better shape in 1988 than he was 1987 at Wrestlemania III (probably due to his back surgery occuring not long before WM III), and thus action wise, I feel the Main Event match in February of 88 and the rematch at Wrestlemania IV were more action packed matches. From an in-ring standpoint, I think the Main Event match was the best of the three. But from a storyline, symbolic standpoint, the Wrestlemania III match is clearly ahead of the pack....

Bret Hart vs. Yokozuna

I personally think the Wrestlemania X match was better for a number of reasons. The story and atmosphere of the rematch at X was much better. You had Roddy Piper as guest referee which made it more special. The outcome was much better (with Bret winning clean), and it felt more like a true "Wrestlemania moment" and Bret's real coming out party (His 2nd world title reign was the peak of his career). I hate the Wrestlemania IX match due to Hogan tainting the outcome, and as a kid I hated seeing Yoko cheat to win. Even back then, I hated Hogan coming out basically taking the title, and I was a big time Hulkamaniac back in the day. But Hogan shouldn't have had the belt at that point. It was Bret's time. And while I loved the arena and look of Ceasar's Palace, nothing beats Madison Square Garden. As far as in-ring action, both matches are about equal, though I liked the finishing spot of the rematch better (where Yoko fell off the ropes and Bret capitalized).

Undertaker vs. Kane

The Wrestlemania XIV matchup is so far ahead of the rematch at Wrestlemania XX, it's not even funny. The rematch at Wrestlemania XX is one of the most disappointing matches in WM history IMO. These guys can go, and I was shocked to see their match get such little time. The Wrestlemania XIV matchup is IMO one of the finest giant vs. giant matches in wrestling history. The Undertaker and Kane are the two most atheltic giant/big guy wrestlers in WWE history (oh and Vader and Bam Bam Bigelow), and they proved it with their Wrestlemania XIV match. The story and build up was excellent, and the match was absolutely outstanding. There's no contest. I'm going to make a 100 Greatest Wrestlemania Matches of All-Time list, and Taker/Kane 1 will be in the top 30 easily. The rematch won't even be on the list.

Stone Cold vs. The Rock

Personally I think their first WM match at XV is one of the weakest matches in their catalog, not just WM matches, but of all their matches. It was perfect for that time and the buildup was fantastic, but they would go on to have much better matches. I love the WM XIX match for it's story. For the in-ring action, it's also very good and similar to Wrestlemania X-7, but this was Austin's final match. It was a sad and touching moment, seeing the Rock have one final chance to beat Stone Cold and ultimately do it. It was one of the finest "swan songs" in wrestling history. But utlimately, their 2nd match at Wrestlemania X-7 is their best, and is also IMO amongst the top 10 WM matches in ever, and even a top 5 contender. Some people hate the brawling and the chaotic action in the match, but to me that's what made the match. This shouldn't have been a Kurt Angle/Chris Benoit olympic chain wrestling type of match. This was in your face Attitude Era-styled brawling and fighting at it's best. It was the match that capped off the Attitude Era and defined it's era much as Hogan/Andre did 15 years earlier. Austin/Rock II is one of the best matches of all-time and the best of their WM trilogy obviously.

Kurt Angle vs. Chris Benoit

A lot of people feel their match at WM 2000 is one of the best matches ever and I don't see it. I was very disappointed in it. Perhaps the two falls stipulation ruined the matchup, but it should've been a brilliant matchup considering you had quite possibly the three greatest in-ring talents in America at the time in the match. It should've been much better than it was. Then enter Wrestlemania X-7 and we get Benoit and Angle going it alone, and my God is it an awesome match. It's up there with Bret/Owen as amongst the finest technical wrestling matches ever at Wrestlemania. A true gem of a match. Much better than the Triple Threat with Jericho the year before.

Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels

I'm in the HBK/Taker II camp. The storytelling and symbolism of the rematch was superior to the first match and thus makes it better. The ending where Shawn spits in the face of Taker was such a brilliant stroke to the match and really symbolized the career of HBK, the defiant rebel that he was his whole career. The action was a little more faster paced and close to the original match. I'll admit the novelty of seeing them finally go at it at WM 25 is an advantage to that match. But the storytelling for the rematch sets it ahead of the original in my book. Both matches are amongst the top 10 in WM history though.

Triple H/Randy Orton/John Cena

Triple H/Orton at Wrestlemania 25 was garbage and one of the worst main event matches in modern WM history. The triple threat match at 24 while enjoyable and well done was forgettable honestly. So Triple H/Cena at WM 22 wins this series of matches. While it's not amongst the best matches ever, and not even the best match on the card, it was still exciting and a good match. The crowd really made it special though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back