Wrestlemania XXXII - Andre The Giant Memorial Battle Royal III

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
It was confirmed this morning that the Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal is on, marking its 3rd consecutive appearance at WrestleMania.

As usual, I have mixed feelings about the battle royal in that it's ultimately a waste since winning it means absolutely nothing. As has been the case with a number of other concepts in the past, WWE has squandered what could have been a potentially interesting mid-card opportunity and made it into nothing but filler. Cesaro won it and his career momentum stopped almost immediately and Big Show won it last year and he hasn't had any real degree of career momentum in years. At the same time, the battle royal is ultimately a means for most of the roster to share in the WrestleMania payday and, for a good many of those participants, will be the highlight of their wrestling year.

Given that the kickoff show for WrestleMania is 2 hours, I hope that this turns out to be one of the matches on that show. As to who wins it, guys like Bray Wyatt or Braun Strowman are definite favorites. It wouldn't surprise me, however, if WWE used this as a means to break up the Wyatt Family again; I know it doesn't make much sense but, then again, that's become par for the course 50% of the time concerning the Family. Bray could be expecting his followers to do the dirty work, as we were sort of seeing in the Royal Rumble, and maybe Braun Strowman will rebel, go on his own and turn on the Family. Make sense? No, not really but Vince is high on him and that means logic takes a backseat.

I like battle royals but my main grip with this one is a bunch of nobodies appearing on the card. The ATGBR also has zero credibility after the previous two winners went nowhere.

Maybe Mark Henry will win and we can see him openly weep in his final appearance whilst people are still filtering into the arena because nobody cares about this pre-show level bullshit.

If there is nothing for Bray Wyatt on tge main show, He needs to win this Battle Royal as he always tends to lose his feuds so he needs a big win at Wrestlemania considering that he is already 0-2 at Wrestlemania.

He can surely win with the help of his 3 monsters.

I still hope that he has a major role to play at Wrestlemania. Interference in Shane-Undertaker could be awesome. ;)

My pick for the Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal as for who will win it? I say it will be one of The Wyatt Family members or it could be one of The League of Nations members either Strowman for the win or Sheamus, Rusev or Del Rio winning it

But if Bray Wyatt is not on the card then Bray needs to win the Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal

It was confirmed this morning that the Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal is on, marking its 3rd consecutive appearance at WrestleMania.

As usual, I have mixed feelings about the battle royal in that it's ultimately a waste since winning it means absolutely nothing. As has been the case with a number of other concepts in the past, WWE has squandered what could have been a potentially interesting mid-card opportunity and made it into nothing but filler. Cesaro won it and his career momentum stopped almost immediately and Big Show won it last year and he hasn't had any real degree of career momentum in years. At the same time, the battle royal is ultimately a means for most of the roster to share in the WrestleMania payday and, for a good many of those participants, will be the highlight of their wrestling year.

Given that the kickoff show for WrestleMania is 2 hours, I hope that this turns out to be one of the matches on that show. As to who wins it, guys like Bray Wyatt or Braun Strowman are definite favorites. It wouldn't surprise me, however, if WWE used this as a means to break up the Wyatt Family again; I know it doesn't make much sense but, then again, that's become par for the course 50% of the time concerning the Family. Bray could be expecting his followers to do the dirty work, as we were sort of seeing in the Royal Rumble, and maybe Braun Strowman will rebel, go on his own and turn on the Family. Make sense? No, not really but Vince is high on him and that means logic takes a backseat.

I hoping Mark Henry wins since this will probably be his last WM. They should do it on the preshow so it'll get proper time. It'd be rushed on the main card.

If he hasn't got a match on the main card then Wyatt should break his WrestleMania duck and win this.

If not Wyatt then I think Sheamus winning it keeps him in the mix.

For all who want Wyatt in the match, do you really want to see him in a pre-show match (as now confirmed) competing against Bo Dallas for a trophy that hardly suits his gimmick when he's forced to pose with it?

Considering some of the past dirt sheet reports, I think that WWE is dead set on Braun Strowman winning this thing. And instead of 30 guys like the last two years, there's only gonna be 20 guy in it this year and this match will air on the USA Network and WWE Network as part of the 7 hour coverage WWE is doing this year, and to be honest, I'm bummed about this not being on the actual PPV, because let's be honest here. Battle royals are just not meant to be filler matches.

I like the new tradition of a battle royal at WrestleMania. I've always liked battle royals and I think this is a great way to honor one of the biggest attractions in wrestling history. I saw Andre the Giant win a battle royal at my first live wrestling event so this match always feels special to me. I do wish they would hype it up more like they did at WrestleMania 2.

I honestly only watched the ending of one of them, when Cesaro slammed Big Show over the top rope. This year I might watch the whole thing. If not Stroman winning it, then they should give it to a NXT guy, somebody who could be coming to the main roster in the next year or so, somebody like Samoa Joe.

Judging by the past Andre Battle Royales, they don't seem to be doing a good job of making this match meaningful.

If the 1st ever winner - Cesaro - ended up being put in AT LEAST a #1 Contendership match for the WWE title and given a WWE title MATCH we would all be able to give more credit to the importance of this Battle Royale.

As it stands now, the Battle Royale can't be seen as much more than a warm-up match to ease fans into the idea of something entertaining, and for the wrestlers, it is a chance for them to be part of the WrestleMania payday.

I would HOPE that when you book a match like this they plan to have a number of MEMORABLE moments. Just off the top of my head, should include:

- Big guy military pressing or chokeslamming one or two jobbers out of the ring to be eliminated. ADD a bonus to that, if it's the Wyatts, have them set up tables or ladders around the ring and have them toss their opponents out onto some ladders or tables to REALLY send a message. Of course, that won't happen... it would be too entertaining and add too much to their characters.

- Tag team guys catch a few opponents in their signature tag team moves. AND maybe STEAL a signature move or use a NEW signature move.

- One heel guy slides out early BUT a babyface actually notices that and slides out and grabs him, throws him in and eliminates him over the top rope. (Sadly, I don't think this will happen because I don't recall it EVER happening, I think WWE doesn't want people to catch on that in a match like this, it would be so simple for most of the heels to just slide under the ropes and wait out there until most are eliminated... so it's a little dangerous to have someone notice another wrestler who slipped out)

- A wrestler could get on the turnbuckle and dive on two or three wrestlers IN the ring to knock them down.

- Babyface wrestlers could gang up on an annoying heel and hit him with multiple finishers before tossing them out.

- Probably one 'betrayal' of a 'friendship' by eliminating the other would be good ... IF it will lead to a feud.

- Since the number of well-known wrestlers in the match isn't very high, maybe ONE wrestler comes in with a mask and there is a story behind it. Either it is a wrestler who has a connection/feud with others in the match or it is a returning-from-injury wrestler who wants to make a surprise.

I'll be looking for fun, interesting and entertaining stuff like I mentioned above to happen. If WWE wants people to give ANY reasonable interest in the match they should do these things.

Also, whoever wins it, this time, should actually get serious momentum from it. Go on a big win streak and get a title shot and hopefully WIN a title.

Judging by the past Andre Battle Royales, they don't seem to be doing a good job of making this match meaningful.

If the 1st ever winner - Cesaro - ended up being put in AT LEAST a #1 Contendership match for the WWE title and given a WWE title MATCH we would all be able to give more credit to the importance of this Battle Royale.

As it stands now, the Battle Royale can't be seen as much more than a warm-up match to ease fans into the idea of something entertaining, and for the wrestlers, it is a chance for them to be part of the WrestleMania payday.

I would HOPE that when you book a match like this they plan to have a number of MEMORABLE moments. Just off the top of my head, should include:

- Big guy military pressing or chokeslamming one or two jobbers out of the ring to be eliminated. ADD a bonus to that, if it's the Wyatts, have them set up tables or ladders around the ring and have them toss their opponents out onto some ladders or tables to REALLY send a message. Of course, that won't happen... it would be too entertaining and add too much to their characters.

- Tag team guys catch a few opponents in their signature tag team moves. AND maybe STEAL a signature move or use a NEW signature move.

- One heel guy slides out early BUT a babyface actually notices that and slides out and grabs him, throws him in and eliminates him over the top rope. (Sadly, I don't think this will happen because I don't recall it EVER happening, I think WWE doesn't want people to catch on that in a match like this, it would be so simple for most of the heels to just slide under the ropes and wait out there until most are eliminated... so it's a little dangerous to have someone notice another wrestler who slipped out)

- A wrestler could get on the turnbuckle and dive on two or three wrestlers IN the ring to knock them down.

- Babyface wrestlers could gang up on an annoying heel and hit him with multiple finishers before tossing them out.

- Probably one 'betrayal' of a 'friendship' by eliminating the other would be good ... IF it will lead to a feud.

- Since the number of well-known wrestlers in the match isn't very high, maybe ONE wrestler comes in with a mask and there is a story behind it. Either it is a wrestler who has a connection/feud with others in the match or it is a returning-from-injury wrestler who wants to make a surprise.

I'll be looking for fun, interesting and entertaining stuff like I mentioned above to happen. If WWE wants people to give ANY reasonable interest in the match they should do these things.

Also, whoever wins it, this time, should actually get serious momentum from it. Go on a big win streak and get a title shot and hopefully WIN a title.

This match isn't really meant to be meaningful, it's meant to give most of the undercard a chance to share in the WrestleMania payday. At WrestleMania XXX, when this battle royal first happened, they gave the impression that the match would be meaningful but that wasn't the case seeing as how Cesaro's momentum was stopped almost immediately afterward and Big Show winning it last year was further evidence because his career has long since peaked. WWE announced earlier today that in addition to the 2 hour kickoff show on the WWE Network, there'll be a 1 hour kickoff show that airs on the USA Network and this match will on USA.

As to whoever wins this, it doesn't really matter and, frankly, I'm perfectly happy that it won't be on the main card again because it shouldn't be. Putting the match on the kickoff show still gives the talent as share of the payday and, for many of them, this will probably be the highlight of their year, so keep the matches that matter on the main card and put the ones that are filler on the kickoff show.

Bray Wyatt or Braun Strowman wins the Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal because since Bray isn't in a match at this year's Mania I mean it makes perfect sense for him to win this but then again with Strowman winning it sets up his monster push

If Bray really is injured and can't compete in the match itself, then I would like to see him ringside and have Strowman go on and win the match giving him a bit of a push coming out of mania.

I really hope Kane wins this. Not for any other reason that for pure nostalgic value. And for the fact that it honours on of th best big men in the business in Andre the Giant. Kane has been one of the best big men in the world of professional wrestling and I don't think he gets enough credit for that in general terms. He's been a World Champion, true enough. But I would like to see him get this last honour for all of the hard work he has put into the business over the last 20 years or so. The Big Show won it last year and it went on to mean absolutely nothing. And whilst I would like to see it go to someone who could actually use it, there is absolutely no chance of that happening; since everyone of note is actually doing something interesting on the Mania card... Why not Kane?

I can see a NXT star winning the Andre the Giant Battle Royal this year. Somebody like Apollo Crews taking out Kane and Braun Strowman at the end for a big pop and exposure.

If Braun's in this it's highly likely he'll win it. He's not announced right now though so I don't know what they're thinking of doing with the Wyatts. Honestly though, I'm kind of interested in this match. Craziness I know. There's always some fun moments in these sort of battle royals and despite what's happened the past couple of years, I'm intrigued to see who they give it to if Strowman isn't involved.

If it's only the currently announced participants, I'm perfectly fine with Show taking this again. Either that or longshot fantasy, Sandow redeems himself and makes something out of his shell of a career.

As long as it's not a replay of the Rumble where Kane and Show dumped everyone out like garbage, this time it would be Rowan and Strowman, this should be a filler match.

Nothing ever comes the to winner except for that big horking trophy and those without a match a Mania paycheck. It will be fun watching Strowman go up against Show and Kane though.

Now it's back on the main card, I would expect the result to be f note. I've been thinking Kane would be the winner based on Raw the past few weeks, but I think a returning superstar might get the win and the start of a new push. So I'm going Cesaro, wind by last eliminating Kane and Big Show

There are three factors that come into my changing my pick. One, the report of this being moved to the main card. Two, this excerpt from an interview from today.
How close are you to returning to the ring?

"If you ask me today, I should’ve been back two weeks ago. I’ve logged almost 400 hours of physical therapy. I got 111 visits in 12 weeks time. I go every single second I can. People say I have a Wolverine-like style of recovery. I was given a nine month quota to come back and after three months I can tell you that I am ready to do anything asked of me possible. It’s a matter of when they call me."

Are you medically cleared?

"Yes."

And three, this report from yesterday.
According to The Wrestling Observer, after several months of deliberating and planning a push for Braun Strowman, WWE might have simply changed their minds on the Wyatt Family member. There had been second thoughts in WWE regarding a Braun Strowman push, and those might have been solidified after Strowman’s main event match against Dean Ambrose on Raw in Philadelphia.

My new pick to win the Andre The Giant Memorial Battle Royal is John Cena.

There's an overwhelming desire for the Andre Battle Royal to mean something along the lines of the way King of the Ring meant something or Money in the Bank means something.

The Andre match has been pushed to the pre-show. It features mainly enhancement talent and over the hill former main event talent. It would be a very different story if top guys were involved in this match. For example if the IC title wasn't defended and all those guys were in the match. It would be a different story if it was still a part of the main show.

It's not. It's been bumped for musical and celebrity guest. It's been bumped for The Rock to put himself over. Not that there's anything really wrong with that.

It's mainly a matter of fan expectation versus reality. Most fans want a real game changing moment at WrestleMania, the way MITB used to be. But creative has just formalized the usual no storyline battle royal for Mania and are trying get as many guys on the show as possible.

That being said, it doesn't have to be completely irrelevant. Cesaro winning was a good moment, despite the enhancement push he received after. Show had to win last year, it was the logical time to get the only other true giant's name on the trophy.

This year, it's stands to reason that the trophy could be won and mean slightly something. Braun Strowman is a better pick than Bray Wyatt.

How did Wyatt go from Cena, to Undertaker, to not even advertised for this match? He didn't compete vs Lesnar. Maybe there's validity to Wyatt being hurt.

If Strowman wins, basically so does Bray. Strowman is Wyatt's heavy. Winning this pre-show battle royal doesn't mean Strowman is being broken away or is touted higher than Wyatt. Strowman is in Wyatt's cult, his victories are Bray's.

Truthfully, I wouldn't be surprised if all four #SocialOutcasts won this or something ridiculous. Practically, Strowman winning is a win for the whole Wyatt Family. Out of left field, WWE could debut someone in this match.

How wild would it be if Bobby Roode debuted in and won this match? What about an NXT guy? Joe, Balor, Nakamura, or a returning Itami? What about the former Bullet Club guys?

This match could still have a positive outcome for programming. Personally I'd like to see someone surprise win, and that person use it for heel heat.

John Cena isn't being thrown into such a disposable match. It was on the pre-show five minutes ago.

Had this match remained on the USA televised portion of the show Cena would've been a huge boost. The match itself needs a major shot in the arm and Cena has proven he can elevate. With the match being just a Network exclusive I say give it to Henry and then let him cut a goodbye promo.

The only thing worth talking about in this match, was the win of Baron Corbin. Yes, there was a few surprises in there, with Shaq and DDP taking part. But the Andre Battle Royal was used exactly the way it should be used last night; an up-and-coming superstar taking the victory and now having the opportunity to make something of it. It will be very interesting to see how Corbin does when he makes his main roster debut on Raw tonight and what road the WWE will take him down. But in terms of a winner, the WWE really showed some faith in a young guy that has a lot of potential and you have to give them some credit for that.

In saying that, I have a few other notes from the match. Firstly, I sincerely hope that this isn't the start of some massive angle between Shaq and The Big Show. As much as there is beef there, this should be the end of it. I really hope that this doesn't get TV time and take away from superstars that could use it a lot better. Shaq is a big name in basketball. Please leave him there, WWE.

Secondly, it was nice seeing DDP back in a WWE ring. I have often thought that the Andre Battle Royal should be more open to those names from the past that might want to earn it. DDP got a really nice pop.

Overall, no complaints... For now.

Extrememly boring match with terrible placement on the card.

They completely buried Tatanka, nobody cares about DDP. Shaq's inclusion was silly and simply done for SportsCenter.

To make matters worse, the guy who won didn't even get singled out or an introduction until the match was almost over. Suddenly Cole talks about him and 2 minutes later he wins. Weak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back