WrestleZone Debaters League Rules

Mr. TM

Throwing a tantrum
20 Wrestlezone members square off in a fight for the best debater on the forum. No, this is not some lame Stone Cold Steve Austin movie, this is the real deal. Over the next 11 weeks, each member of the debates will be given a new topic with which they will battle their opponents. Topics will be presented to the contestants from a wide array of wrestling corners. Each contestant should be skilled in international, independent, old school, and general wrestling knowledge to compete.

The Debaters
The 20 debaters will be split into two conferences. The conferences are Omega and Alpha. Over the first 9 weeks, the debaters will face members of their conference and be judged by our team of judges. After the regular season, the top two debaters from each conference will then compete in a playoffs system, with the final being between the representatives of Alpha and Omega. The winner will then be crowned and be given at least one bar room thread of celebration.

The Judges
I have selected a good crop of judges to access each debate carefully. The come from different fields of wrestling knowledge and together we will be able to judge each debate.

Judge #1: Echelon- The man knows more about women’s wrestling than you know about your own sexual organ. He has been chosen as he is a long time member of the forum, as well as a former staff member.

Judge #2: Tdigle- Smarts, and wit. He could tell you everything you needed to know about what happens in the land of the rising sun. He has been chosen on his wide array of foreign wrestling knowledge.

Judge #3: Marquis- Independents and ROH. I am sure with those letters, you could spell Marquis. Actually, you couldn’t. Not even close. But still, the man knows his stuff. He has been chosen because of this knowledge and his very unbiased judging skills.

Judge #4: Luther- The Admin. Want to bad mouth a result? Then you will lose everything. Want to be a poor sport? You wouldn’t be playing football in Newcastle after he is done with you. Every competition needs a great general wrestling judge, and he is the man for the job.

Judge #5- TM- The sexiest, smartest, smuggest, son of a bitch this side of Saskatoon. He is the man that put this together, and he is the man who will decide your fate. Been watching wrestling since the day I was born, and is equipped with knowledge dating back to the territories.

So these are the men (because I am sexist) that will judge your fate. The will not take bribes, they will not be biased, and they will pick the WrestleZone Debater’s Champion.

The Debates
You will be given the topics on Sunday, and the home side gets to decide which side of the debate they will take. Debates have been designed for you to argue a “this or that” topic. The home team also gets to decide who goes first in the debate. After getting the topic, the home side must choose who will go first, and which side they will debate within the first 24 hours. The first debate must then be up within 24 hours after that debate. Debaters have 24 hours after the other person’s debate, but I warn you that you should debate faster than that to score higher point totals.

Each judge will give you a score out of 5, thus, you can receive 25 possible points in the debate.
Punctuality- 1 point
Informative- 1 point
Emotionality- 1 point
Persuasion- 1 point

Rules
All WrestleZone rules are enforced here. Flaming will not be accepted in the debates, but passion will. This is a non spam zone, so do not spam.

Rules are subject to change and be updated as the season progresses.

Good Luck
TM

The Debates
You will be given the topics on Sunday, and the home side gets to decide which side of the debate they will take. Debates have been designed for you to argue a “this or that” topic. The home team also gets to decide who goes first in the debate. After getting the topic, the home side must choose who will go first, and which side they will debate within the first 24 hours.

Shouldn't the person that decides which side of the topic they get go first? It'd be unfair to elect to go second, and choose the side of the topic they want. It's like a coin flip in football. You choose don't get to choose to kick off, and choose which side of the field you defend.

After getting the topic, the home side must choose who will go first, and which side they will debate within the first 24 hours. The first debate must then be up within 24 hours after that debate.

So, after those decisions are made, the person going first has twenty-four hours to get a post up? I think it could work against people. Time differences and such. Wouldn't it be better to just give the home team 12 hours to make a choice, and give the person going first till sometime Monday evening? Set times are always better.

Debaters have 24 hours after the other person’s debate,

So, there will be only two posts per debate? No rebuttals, then? Two posts is not a debate, TM.

but I warn you that you should debate faster than that to score higher point totals.

Why?

Emotionality- 1 point

Passion? Anger? Indifference?

Shouldn't the person that decides which side of the topic they get go first? It'd be unfair to elect to go second, and choose the side of the topic they want. It's like a coin flip in football. You choose don't get to choose to kick off, and choose which side of the field you defend.

No, thought about this, but that would take up too much time.

So, after those decisions are made, the person going first has twenty-four hours to get a post up? I think it could work against people. Time differences and such. Wouldn't it be better to just give the home team 12 hours to make a choice, and give the person going first till sometime Monday evening? Set times are always better.

one full day is long enough. just means that after 1:00 pm western time, which is 9:00pm in the UK, and 5 on the east coast. Meaning the have until that time on Monday to make a reply.

So, there will be only two posts per debate? No rebuttals, then? Two posts is not a debate, TM.

Didn't say you were limited to one post. you can have as many as you want.

So that you can make more posts and points, and look more passionate?

Passion? Anger? Indifference?

What are you trying to say?

1,000,000. But really, there is not. I didn't want to limit what any debater would have to say on their topics. So post as much as you want.

I don't think that there is enough stress on persuasiveness. The whole purpose of a debate is to sway people's opinions to your side. I've seen multiple debates where the person had a more persuasive argument, meaning better, but lost due to "punctuality". Kinda lame.

I am sorry, you did not persuade me to change this ruling. The reasons why are as stated. You were too late to get this rule changed, as a round is currently started. You lacked the emotion needed for me to take this post seriously, and where is your information? I want some solid information before you come into here and try and debate me. And next time, make this point more clear. Thank you however for bringing this to my attention.

Do the judges get penalized for punctuality too ???

We're already in week two and all the judges have not even scored week one yet !!!

The judging and standings should be updated before a new week begins IMO.

The Judges do have a big job, they have to read all the debates (10), and only giving them the weekend would probably cause me to be judgeless. I am hoping that all the scores are done soon for the debaters league, so I just ask everyone to be patient.

this is a really cool idea! I would join, but i would be destroyed easily...my knowledge is great, but my soul is weak...nah, im just kidding. Abraham Washington would say, "I'm just playing! HA-HA!" i dont have a wide enough range of knowledge to be in the league.

Well actually, we are a few days away from the finals. I think that I am giving the Debater League to a poster named Blade to try out, but it won't be ran for a least a while, giving posters a break if they want to come back to the league. You can ready through some debates in preparation if you take part in it later down the road.

I have wanted to do this thing in some capacity since I first caught wind of it. I would like to either compete or judge, either way I want in. My knowledge only falls short in the categories of Independent and Foreign wrestling. However, that does not mean I am not a good debater, it means that in a debate on those topics I would be like a one legged man in an ass kicking contest. But, I would still take a shot at it if put in one of them, because in the true spirit of debate, I can always research.

To the game rage. Unfortunately the Debater League just finished up a week ago, and the next one might not be ran for a while. But when it is ran, I will ask the person running it to put your name forth.

I'D also like to see if some time possibly I could get in on this. I mean I can't promise anything depending on when you'd like to do this but personally I think it should be a continuously running system.

4horses, we will have another Debator's League later on this year. We can include you into that one. Be on the lookout for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back