WWE Region, Memphis Subregion, First Round: (12) Roddy Piper vs. (21) Yokozuna

Who Wins This Match?

• Roddy Piper

• Yokozuna

Results are only viewable after voting.
Elated to see the vote start to shift the other way. If I was to look at the primes of both guys I would see that Yokozuna beat Bret Hart at perhaps the worst Wrestlemania of all time, in a match that wasn't all that good between two admittedly good workers. He lost the belt minutes later, no that it hasn anything to do with my point mind. Piper was the guy across the ring from the Immortal Hulk Hogan at the very first Wrestlemania. For me it's a small fish in a big pond analogy. I'd much rather be Piper losing at Wrestlemania 1 than Yoko winning at number 9.

It drew more money, it was more important for the business, he did better business in losing than Yoko did in winning. If I was betting in kayfabe, then it'd be a close contest. But if you want to evaluate both of these men as a whole, it's a no-contest. Piper in the better and bigger star.

I see absolutely nothing saying I have to use anything with primes. As a matter of fact, the whole thing I've heard about this tournament is that I get to use the argument I want. And that argument includes everything a wrestler has done for the business. Because let's face it, if we used primes, we'd have the same results every year, too. And it would probably be a much shittier final four of Goldberg, Kane, and the like.

Now, in his prime? Piper went toe to toe with Andre and got his victories, he got his victories against Orndorff, JYD, and as you astutely pointed out, Hogan never beat him. But Piper's career is measured in the mark he left in wrestling, and it's much more than anything Yokozuna did. Hell, even Yoko's dominant run, his prime as you call it, he resorted to the same cheating and screwy finishes to retain his belt. Again, perfectly fine for Flair, but not fine for a guy I'm supposed to believe is a dominant force.

I'm sorry, I can't forget the 700 lb schlub who needed a forklift to get out of the ring when Vader broke his leg. It's part of his legacy in wrestling. If this tournament is really about finding the greatest wrestler ever, you have to take the bad with the good. And while Yokozuna had a run with the belt, for the majority of his career, he wasn't this dominant monster. He was an overweight, underachieving performer, who passed away while Roddy Piper was still working matches.

And I'm sorry, I can't vote that over perhaps the best heel in the history of wrestling

This has been a fun thread. I came into it honestly on the fence, probably supporting Yoko. Reading the posts I strongly started supporting Roddy. This is the post that finally swung it - and I'm voting Yoko.

Look, this isn't just a popularity contest. If it was, no one would put any thought into answers, no one would argue over who should win a match, everyone would just vote for their favourite and move on.

If you want to do that, it's fine obv. Everyone can do what they want. But for me, ignoring kayfabe and primes is a cop-out and missing out on the essence of the tournament.

So yh, in kayfabe I do thing Roddy Piper could win. I just don't think he will. As has been said, prime Yokozuna rarely lost (by whatever means) and Piper isn't the type to go over him here.

Good debate tho, in particular Occam and D+T ofc. I really don't mind too much if Roddy goes through, I'm just voting in kayfabe and Deaners argument won that for me.

What many are forgetting is Piper as a HEEL... lost quite a bit. Piper as a FACE? Beat Hogan in WCW, beat The Mountie to win the IC title, and almost won the Royal Rumble to be the WWF Champion, and also beat Bret Hart to win the US Title in WCW.

Yoko's always been heel... therefore, my theory is Face Piper vs. Heel Yoko, and Face Piper will find anything he can to win this match and move on. Yoko was overrated during his title reign and is very limited because of his size.

I know there are a lot of Yokozuna supporters out there who can and will put up decent arguments here. After all, the guy beat Hogan and Undertaker (although both matches had dusty finishes.) Plus, Yoko's size would always play a part in his matches.

But guys, Roddy Piper is who he is for a reason: he is one of the greatest wrestlers to ever grace the business. As a heel, he drew thousands of dollars for the WWF (which was a LOT of money back then) and, as Lariat pointed out, he's won many high-profile matches with top-tier opponents as a babyface. And if there is a wrestler with a finisher better-catered to take down a super-heavyweight, Piper's sleeper hold (or "Good Night, Irene") is the ideal finishing maneuver. The guy should NEVER be underestimated and would find a way to win here.

I'm voting Piper.

Whoaaah, a real tough call early on in this tournament!

Neither of these guys deserves to go out in the 1st round to be honest, both deserve to progress pretty far.

However, looking at both Yoko and Piper, I can't really see a way Roddy wins this. He could use all the dirty tricks he wanted to, I just see Yokozuna's size and power being too much for the Rowdy One. Either Piper gets himself eliminated or counted out after getting tired of taking a beating or a Yoko leg drop or Bonzai Drop ends this.

Winner: Yokozuna

Ok im gonna have to go with Yokozuna on this match. It hurts to say that but i just think he would overpower Piper in the end.

I Think that Piper would give him a hell of a match but in the end i think Piper makes the mistake of jumping on yoko's back to put the sleeper on and he gets up and just falls backward to gain the win.

Let's be honest, the chances of this ending cleanly are nil. Count out or disqualification would not be regarded as cop outs between these two but rather a badge of honor. So, given that Yoko has many more high profile losses on his record in this manner than the Rowdy Scot, I give the edge and my vote to young Roderick.

I love Piper, and this is probably the only match up in the first round that he could have drawn that I had to vote against him. Yokozuna was just too big for Piper imo. He took the title from Hogan granted with help from the outside, but I think he would have just been too much for Piper. I really had to think about this one, but I had to go with Yoko.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back