WWE Region, Milwaukee Subregion, First Round: (3) Andre vs. (30) Edouard Carpentier

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Andre the Giant

• Edouard Carpentier

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the WWE Region, Milwaukee Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under WWE Rules. It will be held at the Bradley Center in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

bradley%20center%204.widea.jpg

Andre_display_image.jpg

#3. Andre the Giant

Vs.

61020468_128871483798.jpg

#30. Edouard Carpentier

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

If you've never seen Edouard Carpentier wrestle, take this opportunity to do so. With the exception of Rocca, he's probably one of the most watchable of the era. However, this is a wrestling forum and barely anyone has heard of him whilst Andre the Giant is a cultural behemoth. Popular, successful and iconic, I'm afraid he has to win this one.

Andre will probably win this one, but he shouldn't. The NWA chose Carpentier as an interim NWA champion to replace Thesz while he toured Japan. Carpentier won the match via DQ and the NWA spun it so Carpentier would have the right to call himself champion, which they recognized.

Carpentier was just as popular as Thesz during that time period, hence the decision to make him interim champ in the first place, and there were talks about making him permanent champion. But the controversy started when his promoter Eddie Quinn had a falling out with the Alliance, which lead to Carpentier working for Frank Kohler where he worked the Northeast and became popular there, on top of the massive popularity he had in Canada and the midwest. But because of the controversy with Quinn, Carptenier's distinction as NWA champion was erased. NWA literally rewrote history and denied Carpentier ever being champion even though they had publicly endorsed him. Carpentier later lost the "#1 contendership" to Verne Gagne, and when both were passed up for Dick Hutton as NWA champ - who turned out to be a poor draw - the modern AWA was soon formed.

Andre was just an attraction during his peak. And while he was popular he never hit the levels of the NWA champion. Andre tagged with Carpentier frequently in Canada, so the Frenchman had the distinction of helping the giant Frenchman get over. Some people may go "well Andre drew 90,000 at Mania 3" but did he? You sure that wasn't mostly the work of the WWE's massive promotional and advertising machine + the marketability of Hogan which far exceeded Andre's? Of course it was.

Carpentier should win this match. He actually had the distinction of carrying the biggest promotion in the world, while Andre was a novelty his whole career.

Vote Carpentier. It's the right thing to do.

Whatever you think of Andre, he is amongst the fair few iconic guys in the history of wrestling. He can boast mainstream success to the level of a sacred minority and rightly so. He is striking at a glance, or at a long stare and was involved in the biggest partition of the Hogan era, having the biggest crowd n wrestlemania history, as well as (as I've been reliably informed by KB) scored the highest TV ratings of any wrestling segment/match in history with a Hogan rematch during Saturday Night Main Event at some point in '88.

Whatever Mr. Carpentier can boast, he can't boast the mainstream legacy of the 8th wonder of the world. Andre will win regardless here.

Disclaimer: I won't pretend that I have in-depth wrestling knowledge about a wide range of superstars. So, I'm going to perform my voting a little differently. There will be 127 matches in total in this tournament. I've comprised a list of 63 random 1v1 events. I'll randomize the list and base my vote off the results of who I think would win the selected event with my odd logic.

This event: Yugioh Duel

Logic: Andre the Giant sounds like a Yugioh monster. He already looks like he has a spell card cast on him, too. Also, Carpentenier's hair is too tame to fit in with the Yugioh scene. Andre by a few thousand life points.

Winner: Andre the Giant

While I am a little familiar with Carpentier's legacy and how big of a draw he became in Canada, Andre in his prime is almost unbeatable. While he had dq losses, he did stay undefeated for 15 years (in all the credible records you can search online) and that is a telling fact.

Again in that era feuds lasted longer, longer burns and champs and attractions had longer longevity on top. But Andre was a beast that could hold his own and the phenomenon that he became trumps most territorial stars, even an interim NWA champ.

Andre at his peak was unbeatable, but that was because he was a journeyman and it helped his cause to be that. He was also stupidly unprofessional. The Drinking alone prior to matches to cope with the pain of his gigantism is up there.

I agree with the fact that people need to go back and watch some of these older generation wrestlers as they will show you some amazing ring psychology because the number of high spots that they used was so few but they made people care about their matches without them.

I am voting for Carpentier because everyone else is voting Andre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back