WWE Region, Third Round: Submission match: (4) Dusty Rhodes vs. (12) Brock Lesnar

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Dusty Rhodes

• Brock Lesnar

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, My name is Paul Heyman.

I just have a few words for you tonight to ponder on your way home. I really want you to let the words just sink in as you repeat them over & over again.

MY CLIENT. BROCK LESNAR. CONQUERED. THE UNDERTAKER'S. UNDEFEATED STREAK. AT WRESTLEMANIA."

There are plenty of other well thought out arguments, but that one should do for now.

Don't put Dusty on the same level as Angle, Benoit and Mir when it comes to submission wrestling.

This is easy, vote Brock.

I hate Brock Lesnar, but I just don't really see how he'd lose here. Rhodes was such an important wrestler, but history has shown that doesn't hold much water against Lesnar. For me, Lesnar will advance here quite simply, I just don't see him ever really being under threat by someone so badly conditioned - it's never the way he's been booked.

Don't put Dusty on the same level as Angle, Benoit and Mir when it comes to submission wrestling.

This is easy, vote Brock.

Erm, I didn't - just pointed out that Brock does submit... and he doesn't even have to submit. Dusty can pulls out his gimmick experience, knocks him out and the applies the sleeper. Job done.

This whole "Oh my God! He beat the Undertaker at WrestleMania!" grounds for voting Brock has to stop. Let's look at what he has actually achieved there - beaten a guy who hasn't faced a 'prime' opponent in his streak in 6 years (since he faced Edge). So Brock's most famous submission victories are over 49yo Hogan, a soon to depart Rock and 49yo Taker - ALL part timers at the times of these matches. This does not translate to submitting a prime Rhodes here.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, My name is Paul Heyman.

I just have a few words for you tonight to ponder on your way home. I really want you to let the words just sink in as you repeat them over & over again.

MY CLIENT. BROCK LESNAR. CONQUERED. THE UNDERTAKER'S. UNDEFEATED STREAK. AT WRESTLEMANIA."

There are plenty of other well thought out arguments, but that one should do for now.

Because conquering a fake streak means everything in wrestling. Fuck accolades, drawing power, and influence, coasting on pure hype gives someone a free pass to auto win. At least Daniel Bryan has justification as to why people would be riding his ass like no tomorrow, what has Lesnar done since breaking the streak besides disappearing again? Lesnar is the pro wrestling equivalent of Goku: all hype and no substance. Based on that logic Kevin Nash should also get a free pass to the semifinals for taking out Goldberg. Re-fucking-diculous.

At the end of everything Dusty's legend is far bigger than Lesnar's.

Because conquering a fake streak means everything in wrestling.

Lets not go diminishing how important the streak is because you disagree with my choice in this match. Plus considering both have made a career out of conquering 'fake' things in wrestling, your response really has no validity.

Fuck accolades, drawing power, and influence, coasting on pure hype gives someone a free pass to auto win.

Lesnar has plenty of accolades. Some of which are more than Dusty would even dream to accomplish being that they are in legit sports like MMA & NCAA. As far as coasting on 'pure hype' goes.... lets consider the fact that most older wrestlers get a free pass auto win by coasting off the hype of their glory years. We accept these legends getting wins over younger, stronger talent- because of past hype. How else would guys like Hogan, etc still get pops\wins even though they have done nothing relevant for years. Every athlete at one point gets some free passes based on past hype. That isnt a good stance for an argument.

what has Lesnar done since breaking the streak

You mean that super huge deal that was just a few weeks ago? Idk, but it is probably much more than what Dusty has done in the many years since his last big accolade....

At the end of everything Dusty's legend is far bigger than Lesnar's.

Idk about that considering Lesnar is known by more people on a larger scale. Walk around downtown, hold a picture of Dusty & one of Brock. See how many more people recognize Brock than Dusty.

Sure Rhodes was a big deal. Pretty important during his day in fact. Problem is that Brock has done arguably more important things in a shorter period of time than Dusty has. NWA champ when it meant something was a pretty big deal. Although being the only man to ever say he held the top title in wrestling as well as the top title in MMA would suggest a pretty big deal as well considering it has never been done before.

All in all I was just throwing the streak thing out there for fun. We all should know how this match ends. Lesnar is just too much for Dusty even when he was at his peak. Rhodes has no chance at beating Lesnar.

I voted for Dusty. Why? To make amends for my fault(that's right, someone owing up to his own mistake) at naming Dusty being a mid carder. However, I am still pulling for Brock and this will probably the only time I'll vote against him.

I voted Brock here, though my respect for Dusty is immense. It's simply that I've never seen Dusty use a true submission move to win a match, and Brock has used both the Kimura and the Brock Lock to beat the best, as well as a Bear Hug. That's three submission moves that Brock has in his arsenal that give him a large advantage over Dusty here.

This isn't a walk in the park for Brock here, however, as Dusty was the kind of babyface who never went down easily. But I was there at the Royal Rumble when Brock picked up the 500 lb Big Show and carried him around the ring for 10 seconds before giving him an F5. Show was absolutely dead to the world, and any submission move would have ended him. He could have done similar to Dusty even in his prime, as I recognize Show is past his. Dusty was crafty, but craftiness is often taken down by power. Dusty has a great head-to-head against the greats of his time, but none of them had the background, power, and arsenal of submission moves that Brock does. It's really as simple as that.

Dusty was a babyface who thrived against top heels most of the time, but Lesnar in his prime wouldn't be one of them. He's simply too powerful and is too diverse in his moveset for Dusty, and has a collection of submission moves he's used in the past to beat the best. I'm going Brock here, with no disrespect to Dusty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back