WWE: The Calgary Sub-Regional

Shocky

Kissin Babies and Huggin Fat Girlz
If you don't want to look too far ahead, come in here to discuss everything concerning the Calgary Sub-Regional.

1. Bret "The Hitman" Hart
64. Mikey Whipwreck

32. "The Monster" Abyss
33. Haku

16. "The Loose Cannon" Brian Pillman
49. "The Japanese Buzzsaw" Yoshihiro Tajiri

17. Antonio Inoki
48. "The Z Man" Tom Zenk

8. Harley Race
57. K.E.N.T.A.

25. "The Samoan Bulldozer" Umaga
40. "Wrestlezone's Own" Konnan

9. "The King of Harts" Owen Hart
56. Super Crazy

24. The Honky Tonk Man
41. Barry "Smash" Darsow

Round 2.
1. Bret "The Hitman" Hart
33. Haku/Meng

16. "The Loose Cannon" Brian Pillman
17. Antonio Inoki

8. Harley Race
25. The Samoan Bulldozer Umaga

9. "The King of Harts" Owen Hart
24. The Honky Tonk Man

Round 3
1. Bret Hart
17. Antonio Inoki

8. Harley Race
9. Owen Hart

Now this right here could get VERY interesting very fast. While I'd take Race any day of the week, he'd be in real trouble against Bret in Canada. Anyone would. From what I understand, Hart is pretty much the biggest non hockey player athlete in Canada. Race may be the best wrestler that almost no one has ever seen much of, but he'd be in over his crowned head. Owen will get to Race, and then likely go down. Should be good all over though.

Bret Hart has two people already to worry about Race and Owen. The Harts do have the edge being Calgary sons, but really, Harley knows his way around Flame town. I will be interested to see who else can even put up a right in this brutal city for non Canadians. You think Montreal is pro-Hart, wait until you get into cattle country.

I cannot agree with Klunderbunker more. THIS is an incredible bracket already, and we ONLY know three people. I can only imagine if another big name or two get put in here. Some really great showdowns could occur.

With such a large support community, I doubt Bret will not make finals. However, who faces him there could be a huge variety of guys. Owen VS Bret would be an amazing matchup, as would Race VS Bret. Who wins? Obviously, the votes will decide, but I'm keeping my eye on this one.

Very exciting match this could be. While Harley is a really good wrestler along with Owen I just cant see them beating Bret. Bret was terrific on the mat and had enough speed to out run both of them. With the venue being in Canada as well it jsut gives me more reason for Bret to win this match.

Bret Hart should win this as he has the talent to go over Race but if he gets to Owen it could be a bit tricky. Owen has beaten Bret before but I expect Owen to be out before he faces Bret so it won't be much of a problem.

Hart vs. Hart could be a toss up if it happens. Both have the hometown advantage, and even though Bret is thoroughly revered, Hart is no push over, and he's beaten his brother before as an underdog in a big match atmosphere. I don't think the atmosphere could be any bigger than Hart vs. Hart in the heart of Canada.

The match-up of the two greatest "Kings" is destined to happen, and will be a great one when it does. If Race wins, it'll be itneresting who he faces before he has a shot at Hitman.

Owen ranked pretty high on my list, and should do well here. I think he'd win over Race, even without his growing fan base. He's a great in-ring wrestler, and should be glad he landed in WWE, and not ECW or TNA, where any weakness he has would be spotlighted. In a match with Bret though, I don't see him winning. Maybe in Madison Square Garden, but not in Calgary.

This bracket is Bret's for the taking. There's no one he can face that would take him out this early, so the only chance there is of him not making the gimmick rounds is Owen. as i said, this is his match to win in Calgary. Like Angle, his first test will come in the gimmick rounds, and even then, I don't see one he isn't built for. He's got the endurance and the talent to do well in the KOTR rounds, so it'll be interesting to see where he ends up.

People are saying this is interesting, while I agree, there won't be a shock from the winner. Have you see the Hart fan base here? He will wipe the floor with everyone else in this region, easily. And he deserves it, Hart is one of the best Pro-wrestlers the WWE ever had, and if he hadn't been forced into retirement, or left WWF, who knows how much better he would be?

Unfortunately, as I do not like Bret Hart, no one has a chance at stopping him before he meets Kurt Angle. He's simply too popular on these boards. I'll agree that he was a great wrestler, but I don't think he was as good as everyone says. Anything he could do, so could Angle and Benoit.

It would be wrong to have a Calgary region and not having a Hart win it, they are Calgary wrestling. Owen v Bret would be an interesting match, whilst I see Bret going on to do very well in this tournament as a whole, the underdog Owen could actually put as big a dent to Bret as anyone else can.

Well, this is a shame. I was hoping for a huge Harley run, but as much as I like him and will support him, he isn't getting past Hart in Canada. Personally I think Harley is the better wrestler and is more decorated than Hart, but Bret's got this one, no doubt.

Bret Hart is Calgary's first son. Owen is their bastard son. The best I could ever wish for here, is a surprising Lance Storm entry to meet Hart with full force.

I haven't seen much of Harley Race, but it's not like it'll matter anyway, as Bret Hart is currently the odd's on favorite this year to win the whole thing. That I'm still in shock over, as I can't see where the fuck it came from.

It's not that he doesn't deserve it though. Bret Hart is a great well-rounded Wrestler, but depending on the eagerly awaited showdown with Kurt Angle, it's tough to see which would walk away. I'll hold my breath on a definate winner, until after more seeds have been revealed. I'm holding out for a Lance Storm savior, as well.

Race vs. Bret would have been an undiniable classic but when you throw owen into the mix, you've got a recipie for one hell of a match. Bret will barely win with a Sharshooter on Race. What a match though.

Pillman should add an interesting test for Hart, but since most people may never have seen some classic matches from him, he may get bounced earlier than that. Like the nickname states, he was a loose cannon, but could do just about anything in the ring.

Like Malenko, he may have gotten a bad draw. In a WCW ring, he'd probably be assured of at least the first two wins. He did more, and was better in WCW than he ever was in WWE. I don't think he'd upset the Hitman, but he'd at least put on a good show with him.

I still see this coming down to the Harts, with Bret going on to the gimmick rounds.

Bret Hart has a huge support base on this Forum for some unknown reason. I mean, he is great and probably one of the greatest in ring workers of all time but the guy is hardly ever dissed. Plus, it's in his own country and state. How can he possibly not win this region?

Harley Race has a great chance at winning this thing, but we all know he has no chance once you put him up against Bret Hart. Owen Hart just simply cannot be compared to his brother, as he was only a mid-carder within the company. And as far as I'm concerned, Brian Pillman just doesn't have much of a chance here.

So Bret Hart is almost certainly moving on to the next stage of this tournament, as I can't see him losing in his own region.

I'll admit first, that I don't know much about Inoki. I've heard tons, and if any of it is true, he could provide an interesting test for Bret. I don't doubt he'd beat Pillman, and if he can beat Bret, he shouldn't have any problems with Owen or Harley Race.

Until I research him further, I'm sticking with Bret as my favorite. If he's a supposed favorite for the tournaent as a whole, I think it'd take a bigger test to bounce him this early. Owen is the upset pick so far, only because he wouldn't face Bret or Inoki until the finals.

The semi-final matches for this sub-region will more than likely be Bret Hart vs. Antonio Inoki and Harley Race vs. Owen Hart. Even though I am not that big of a fan of Bret Hart, I'll still back him over Inoki. In my opinion, the only things that Inoki has going for him are: a) he founded New Japan Pro Wrestling; and b) he fought Muhammad Ali in a mixed martial arts bout. Unfortunately, however, his actual wrestling matches weren't all that great (this guy was the equivalent of Hulk Hogan in Japan, so I am pretty sure many people there will disagree with my assessment).

As for Race vs. Owen Hart, Race all the way baby. As much as this has been said before, I will now say it again: without his tragic death, Owen would not be remembered as kindly as he is today. In fact, his legacy seems to consist more of great ribs than of great matches/wrestling ability. But, he does have the home town factor, so he should make it to the semi-finals (once there, he'll be beaten by Race).

Ultimately, we come to the predicted final of Bret Hart vs. Race. I will put a little bit of energy into this match, should it occur, since I definitely believe that Race should go over Hart given that I believe Race was a better wrestler and had a more positive impact on the business. But, if people are going to support Hart as vigorously as they say they will, then I'll probably end up cutting my losses and putting my energy into a battle that can possibly be won.

As for Race vs. Owen Hart, Race all the way baby. As much as this has been said before, I will now say it again: without his tragic death, Owen would not be remembered as kindly as he is today. In fact, his legacy seems to consist more of great ribs than of great matches/wrestling ability. But, he does have the home town factor, so he should make it to the semi-finals (once there, he'll be beaten by Race).

For a majority of people, this is true. It's sad. But, it's true. However, Owen did have some tremendous wrestling ability, and it shouldn't be overlooked "because he died". His match with Bret at Wrestlemania X is among many people's favorites with Bret, and he had a number of other good matches on RAW. Sure, most of his gimmicks were a little out there ("I am not a nugget!" and The Blazer), but his in-ring stuff was always there. His promos were great for a heel, and he even managed to not be hated by everyone. My little brother and I would argue for hours over Bret v. Owen becase we had gone through the same kind of crap being brothers. It was a great feud, and a relatable one.

His time as the King Of Harts was classic, and was some of the best stuff he did for his career. He also made the Slammys worth bringing back once very few years.

For a majority of people, this is true. It's sad. But, it's true. However, Owen did have some tremendous wrestling ability, and it shouldn't be overlooked "because he died". His match with Bret at Wrestlemania X is among many people's favorites with Bret, and he had a number of other good matches on RAW. Sure, most of his gimmicks were a little out there ("I am not a nugget!" and The Blazer), but his in-ring stuff was always there. His promos were great for a heel, and he even managed to not be hated by everyone. My little brother and I would argue for hours over Bret v. Owen becase we had gone through the same kind of crap being brothers. It was a great feud, and a relatable one.

His time as the King Of Harts was classic, and was some of the best stuff he did for his career. He also made the Slammys worth bringing back once very few years.

Owen has two great matches to his name, and both of those are with Bret (their match at WM X and their steel cage match at Summerslam 1994). And, neither of these matches can top (in my opinion) the steel cage match Race had with Flair at Starrcade 1983. This is the best Race match I have seen, and I haven't watched most of his stuff prior to this match. However, I plan on watching it for the sake of this tournament.

Inoki is good and I think he can match up well with Race or Owen but he would lose to Bret. I'm still predicting a Bret/Owen matchup unless somebody upsets Owen in the earlier rounds.

Looking at the top half, it looks to be Bret's Region. I think Harley Race is better, and perhaps even Inoki, but it's goign to be hard to get rid of the Hitman mystique entering into the tournament. Owen Hart remains a wildcard to be reckoned with. These matches are in Calgary, and he seems to have a fairly vocal fanbase. If Umaga can knock off Race, then Umaga could very well become a wild card in this region.

This is in Calgary and it means only one thing, its coming down to Bret vs. Owen. Can Owen step out of the shadow of The Hitman again? The 2 certainly put on a good show at WM10 as well as Summerslam 94. these 2 are brothers and they know each others moves so well. Hell they both use the Sharpshooter as a finisher. I think this match is going to come down to a technical standpoint, and who can take advantage of a slip up on the mat, or even reverse a submissino hold and capitalize and get the victory. I always felt Bret was the better technician of the 2 so i'm going ot go with the Hitman on this one.

Looking at the top half, it looks to be Bret's Region. I think Harley Race is better, and perhaps even Inoki, but it's goign to be hard to get rid of the Hitman mystique entering into the tournament. Owen Hart remains a wildcard to be reckoned with. These matches are in Calgary, and he seems to have a fairly vocal fanbase. If Umaga can knock off Race, then Umaga could very well become a wild card in this region.

I totally agree with you about Race being better than Hart, but could you please point me in the direction of a good Inoki match?

This is in Calgary and it means only one thing, its coming down to Bret vs. Owen. Can Owen step out of the shadow of The Hitman again? The 2 certainly put on a good show at WM10 as well as Summerslam 94. these 2 are brothers and they know each others moves so well. Hell they both use the Sharpshooter as a finisher. I think this match is going to come down to a technical standpoint, and who can take advantage of a slip up on the mat, or even reverse a submissino hold and capitalize and get the victory. I always felt Bret was the better technician of the 2 so i'm going ot go with the Hitman on this one.

We'll see about this. Owen Hart is in no way, shape, or form a better wrestler than Race. And, I will make sure that no one can use the "I don't know who he is" argument with Race, as there are plenty of online resources to back up this man's greatness. It will come down to Bret Hart and Race in the finals of this sub-region.

Well that's subjective to say the least, and it's hard to say consdiering Inoki blended his MMA into his wrstling. With him, you hardly could tell when it was a shoot and when it was a work. Know do I think Inoki is better, probably not. However, if you're asking a world wide audience and crowd who is better or a bigger name, then I'll Lean with Inoki, and yes I know how big Hart was in Europe and Canada.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back