WWE: The Pittsburgh Sub-Regional

Shocky

Kissin Babies and Huggin Fat Girlz
If you don't want too look too far ahead, come in here and discuss this sub-regional headed by Kurt Angle.

The First Three Rounds Take Place In: Pittsburgh, PA
2. "The Olympic Gold Medalist" Kurt Angle
63. The Berzerker

31. Yuji Nagata
34. "Cowboy" Bob Orton Jr.

15. "Sycho" Sid Vicious
50. The Sheik

18. Tully Blanchard
47. Dino Bravo

7. "The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes
58. Blue Demon

26. "The Samoan Submission Machine" Samoa Joe
39. Carlito

10. The Great Muta
55. Big Daddy V

23. Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart
42. Jacques "The Mountie" Rougeau

Round 2 Matches.
Pittsburgh, PA.
#2. Kurt Angle
#31. Yuji Nagata

15. Sid Vicious
18. Tully Blanchard

7. Dusty Rhodes
26. Samoa Joe

10. The Great Muta
42. Jacque Rougeau

Round 3
Pittsburgh, PA.
#2. Kurt Angle
#15. Psycho Sid

26. Samoa Joe
10. The Great Muta

This is Angle all the way. Rhodes might be the most overrated in ring worker of all time. put him over Angle's shoulder and slam him and it's over very fast. Muta is great, but more in WCW territory. This is Kurt's back yard and he'll destroy everyone he faces here. In his home promotion in his home town, he'll nearly murder both of these people. Tihs isn't going to even be close.

Steel Town. The home of the Olympic Gold Medalist. The city of gentlemen, but as well as hard work. Dusty Rhodes knows about that. But this is the WWE here, and Dusty Rhodes is not a WWE wrestler to worry about. Muta also has a daunting path ahead of him, as he tries to go against Kurt here. It will be interesting if one of the greatest Japanese wrestlers can put up a show against the Olympic winner.

From what little is listed right now, I'd have to agree and say Kurt is the heavy favorite. I'd likely put him over either of the other two right now, and these are supposed to be the top ranked people in the bracket.

However, to say that it will be Angle in a cakewalk is a bit much. I don't put anything past anyone, and a surge of votes for an underdog could turn things over on the Olympian.

Kurt Angle would have Rhodes tapping out in less than ten minutes. I would love to see Muta v. Angle but not too many know of Muta in the U.S. so they would not vote for him so Angle should win this region with one hard match thrown in there.

I say The Great Muta still has a shot at this. Anyone who really studies this match up could see that Kurt Angle technical ability and Muta's speed and ability to counter makes for a pretty equal match up. Muta is still a dark horse to steal this. Keep in mind that Angle is injury prone, and that is definitely a factor to take into account in a tournament. Angle will need a series of squashes in order to still be the favorite if/when he meets The Great Muta.

I don't think Muta has the following to get past Angle. The match in and of itself would be interesting. It would all come down to whether or not Angle could catch Muta. Muta could use his kicks to keep his distance, but there is nowhere to hide in the 20 by 20 ring. At some point, Kurt catches him, and the slams and submission moves catch up to Muta. At the point, the game is over.

Dusty Rhodes as a heel, would stand a much better chance in this match. In his heydey, he wasn't afraid to bust open a roll of nickels on someone's head, or pull off any dirty tricks to get a win. However, he'll be seen with yellow polka-dots, and may lose early if fans don't pull their head out of their ass. Either way, he isn't built to beat Angle, and probably isn't built to beat Muta.

I'm going to admit first, that I don't nkow much on Muta. I've seen a handful of short matches, but nothing that would qualify me to vote for or against him. I will be checking up on him as his matches are announced, and will be making an informed decision. No matter what I know though, Angle trounces him.

Angle has a chance of winning it all, so there isn't much doubt that he'll walk through what is looking like a weak bracket so far. He can make anyone tap, and has the talent to out-wrestle just about anybody we throw at him. He may get a few scares along the way, but his true test won't be until the gimmick matches. If he gets the wrong draw in the wrong match, he may have a tough time, but if/when het gets through them, he shouldn't have too many issues in the final rounds.

Angle possibly has the easiest way through his region - he is great, and his competition isn't. He also has quite a big fan base for someone in TNA, a lot of WWE fans want him back in the WWE. He'll win this.

Don't count your chickens before they've hatched. That is a saying, isn't it? I certainly hope so. What I'm saying is that there's still plenty to be added to this sub-region. While I don't think Muta or Dusty "I went out last time to Angle and Sly had a heart attack" Rhodes are considerable threats, you never know what's around the corner. I'm just glad that Lesnar pulled ECW, or I might have to have made a tough choice.

Then again, I'm having trouble thinking of a name that hasn't already been revealed that could mean trouble. Nope, drawn a blank.

People are underrating The Great Muta in this thread. I don't know much about him and I don't know much about Japanese wrestling, but from what I've seen, Muta is one of the best Japanese wrestlers ever. He was also one of Sting's toughest opponents in WCW, so he can be a threat to anyone. The WWE may not be his comfort zone, but he definitely has the ability to take anyone to the limit.

The following match shows just how good he is, it shows how much punishment he can give, and how much he can take. This is a great match, against another Japanese legend, Jushin Thunder Liger.

[youtube]us1GTlbWgIU[/youtube]

Angle rolls through this one. Dusty was just a fat man that hit you with his elbows. He wasn't as great as they say. Muta was fast and agile, but he was small and not very strong. Angle is fast, agile, and strong. If he catches Muta, it's over. I see no challenge yet, for Kurt Angle.

:lmao: Are you fucking kidding me? Just GIVE Kurt Angle the victory now. Dusty Rhodes? Seriously? He barely defeated jobbers like the Honky Tonk Man. He's going to be rolled just about as much as the ones he has.

The Great Muta will be a challenge, but he's still not in Angle's league. I'm awaiting more seeds to be revealed before I make a definate choice, but if it were just these three as the top guys.. Angle, easily. Very easily.

Angle beats Mutawith Angle Slam. I would think this would be a very bizzare match if it were to occur. Rgodes doesn't match up to either. Muta barely lags behind angle.

The push for Sid starts here. He doesn't stand a chance against Angle, nor should he really. But he's a hell of a lot better than Rhodes. In my eyes the only thing Dusty had going for him was charisma, even still Sid has him beat. And I don't see Muta getting far at all, especially for a high seed.

Sid doesn't add anything here. There's no way he gets over Angle, and the match really shouldn't be close if people are honest with themselves. This is a guy that botches so much, he makes Batista look like Angle.

If he had landed in ECW, he'd stand a chance, due to his psycho temperment. Maybe in WCW he'd win a match or two, based on his size. But, this is the WWE bracket. He's the weakest link here, and might be lucky to get one win.

I finally got to see some stuff from Great Muta, and fail to see what the hype is about. I watched 2 matches from Japan on YouTube, and he looked very average. His mat wrestling was good, and he had some high-flying ability, but I didn't see anything that screamed "darkhorse" to me. I also saw his match with Windham at SuperBrawl III, and there wasn't anything that made me think he'll do well here. Rhodes should beat him, but neither will get any further than Kurt Angle.

Sid was dominant in ECW, WCW & WWF, so how does he not add anything? The guy has taken almost everybody he's faced to the limit. Undertaker, Hulk Hogan, he's even beaten one of the possible winners on numerous times, Shawn Michaels.

As for bothing moves, not really, he broke his leg. A biggie, but he hardly did enough in regular matches to botch anything important or noticeable.

Sid was dominant in ECW, WCW & WWF, so how does he not add anything? The guy has taken almost everybody he's faced to the limit. Undertaker, Hulk Hogan, he's even beaten one of the possible winners on numerous times, Shawn Michaels.

He's very one dimensional. He never impressed me, and I never believed him winning any of those.

Even if he does add anything, there's no way he beats Kurt Angle. I'll give him victories over Rhodes or Muta, but not Angle.

As for bothing moves, not really, he broke his leg. A biggie, but he hardly did enough in regular matches to botch anything important or noticeable.

Except for trying to kill Brian Pillman in War Games. Botched it bad enough he did it three times. Didn't he break Pillman's neck?

If he gets a tough opponent early, he should be done. I don't see how he even makes it to the match with Kurt Angle. All it would take is either a big technician, or anyone with a decent submission move.

He's very one dimensional. He never impressed me, and I never believed him winning any of those.

Really? Looking back it's a surprise Flair won the Rumble. It was always looking like Sid would face Hogan for the WWF Championship at Mania 9.

Except for trying to kill Brian Pillman in War Games. Botched it bad enough he did it three times. Didn't he break Pillman's neck?

Sure you've got to blame him for that. But you've also got to say that the people who suggested he did the move in the match should have known that with his height he would have hit the roof of the cage.

Really? Looking back it's a surprise Flair won the Rumble. It was always looking like Sid would face Hogan for the WWF Championship at Mania 9.

I won't argue this, mostly because my memory sucks, and I don't remember everything surrounding that. I just never liked Sid, and didn't think he was any good in the ring. If it wasn't the powerbomb, he didn't stand a chance. Sure, the move can get him through some matches here, but he's still not going over Kurt.

Sure you've got to blame him for that. But you've also got to say that the people who suggested he did the move in the match should have known that with his height he would have hit the roof of the cage.

He didn't have to do the move, especially knowing the danger it presented. Isn't one of the first things they learn, that they need to protect their opponent? It's not like he wasn't big enough at the time to say he wouldn't do it. Oh, wait. He had to. He's got no other offense. ;)

If it wasn't the powerbomb, he didn't stand a chance. Sure, the move can get him through some matches here, but he's still not going over Kurt.

You're forgetting the chokeslam. Two of the highest impact moves in wrestling and the most visually intresting.

He didn't have to do the move, especially knowing the danger it presented.

It presented no danger to him.

Isn't one of the first things they learn, that they need to protect their opponent?

Nope. The first thing they learn, in that era anyway, is that wrestling isn't fake. Before they had their ankles broken.

It's not like he wasn't big enough at the time to say he wouldn't do it. Oh, wait. He had to. He's got no other offense. ;)

Punches & kicks aren't defence now are they ;)......oh bollocks. Vote Beefcake.

Kurt Angle up against Dusty Rhodes would be a great match. But I think Angle could out wrestle him which would get him over the line here. Sid Vicious and The Great Muta just aren't very well known to most of the younger people on the forum which is why they might not get many votes at all.

Dusty Rhodes has a good chance at winning this because he could certainly hang with the best of them, but Angle is just too quick and agile for a man his size and will defeat Rhodes in the final match of the Region. I think Angle is almost certainly winning this region. And the guy is ranked #2, so that says something. And it's in his home town anyway.

You're forgetting the chokeslam. Two of the highest impact moves in wrestling and the most visually intresting.

You're right. I did forget it. But, he's still not going over Kurt, the man he'd need to beat to get anywhere in this tournament anyway.

It presented no danger to him.

I obviously did. The match ended because he was laying motionless in the corner.

Nope. The first thing they learn, in that era anyway, is that wrestling isn't fake. Before they had their ankles broken.

Along the way, they do learn that they need to protect their opponent.

Punches & kicks aren't defence now are they ;)......oh bollocks. Vote Beefcake.

No, they're not. But, they won't get him very far. And, he should avoid the kicks. He doesn't want to break that leg again, now does he?

I guarantee a vote for Beefcake if he faces Sid.

A match between Blanchard and Rhodes to decide this would be a nice throwback, but we all know it won't happen. Kurt Angle still doesn't face any real competition here. It's true. It's damn true.

Blanchard could be the darkhorse of the bracket, but I don't think he'll have enough fan support to be a true bracket buster. Considering Jake's support of Sycho Sid, he probably won't get past the second round, and I'm not sure I'd vote for him there anyway.

There's no one here that can challenge Kurt. He may have an easy way to the final rounds.

This looks like to be the easiest region alongside Charlotte. Right now I can see Sid giving Angle trouble for a while but Kurt can dispatch of him. Angle looks like he's going to breeze through here with ease as of right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back