WWE's 50 greatest superstars list.

Jimmy King

Future Moderater
Didn't see a thread on this, yet.

This is basically a rant/rave on WWE's list of the 50 greatest superstars of all time. (Below.)

1. Shawn Michaels
2. The Undertaker
3. Steve Austin
4. Bret Hart
5. The Rock
6. Harley Race
7. Ricky Steamboat
8. Andre the Giant
9. Rey Mysterio.
10. Roddy Piper
11. Eddie Guerrero
12. Triple H
13. Gorgeous George
14. Randy Savage
15. Curt Hennig
16. John Cena
17. Ric Flair
18. Dusty Rhodes
19. Edge
20. Jerry Lawler
21. Lou Thesz
22. Terry Funk
23. Hulk Hogan
24. Bruno Sammartino
25. Chris Jericho
26. Ted DiBiase
27. Fabulous Moolah
28. Freddie Blassie
29. Randy Orton
30. Pat Patterson
31. The Iron Sheik
32. Jimmy Snuka
33. Mick Foley
34. Kurt Angle
35. Buddy Rogers
36. Gorilla Monsoon
37. Junkyard Dog
38. Billy Graham
39. Jake Roberts
40. Big Show
41. Jack Brisco
42. Sgt. Slaughter
43. Kane
44. Nick Bockwinkel
45. Jeff Hardy
46. Dory Funk Jr.
47. Bob Backlund
48. Rick Rude
49. Batista
50. Killer Kowalski

Interesting to see Hardy make the list. I think it's bullshit that they didn't include any WCW wrestlers. Well, really Goldberg and Sting. Whatever you want to say about Goldberg, the dude did financial wonders for WCW. And Sting...words can't even begin to describe his importance to professional wrestling. I'm pretty pissed that Hogan and other TNA guys were kind of randomly thrown around on the list. Almost everyone ahead of Flair is bullshit with the exception of the top 5 MAYBE.

I just saw this on the main website and it had me curious about what others thought of this list and not only the names on it but more importantly the position those names hold on the list.

Do you agree or disagree?

Would you change anyone's position on the list?

The Wrestling Observer is reporting that WWE is set to release a "Top 50 Superstars of All-Time" DVD and the following list of names has been revealed for the disc:

1. Shawn Michaels
2. The Undertaker
3. Steve Austin
4. Bret Hart
5. The Rock
6. Harley Race
7. Ricky Steamboat
8. Andre the Giant
9. Rey Mysterio.
10. Roddy Piper
11. Eddie Guerrero
12. Triple H
13. Gorgeous George
14. Randy Savage
15. Curt Hennig
16. John Cena
17. Ric Flair
18. Dusty Rhodes
19. Edge
20. Jerry Lawler
21. Lou Thesz
22. Terry Funk
23. Hulk Hogan
24. Bruno Sammartino
25. Chris Jericho
26. Ted DiBiase
27. Fabulous Moolah
28. Freddie Blassie
29. Randy Orton
30. Pat Patterson
31. The Iron Sheik
32. Jimmy Snuka
33. Mick Foley
34. Kurt Angle
35. Buddy Rogers
36. Gorilla Monsoon
37. Junkyard Dog
38. Billy Graham
39. Jake Roberts
40. Big Show
41. Jack Brisco
42. Sgt. Slaughter
43. Kane
44. Nick Bockwinkel
45. Jeff Hardy
46. Dory Funk Jr.
47. Bob Backlund
48. Rick Rude
49. Batista
50. Killer Kowalski

This list seems all good to me except #16 and #17. John Cena over Ric Flair? Really? Now I don't think this is based on merchandise (why have Steamboat so ahead of Cena in that case) so I am at a lost for that little bit of confusion there.

All these other names look great in their respectable places. I just don't see how Flair isn't a better rassler than Cena. I almost find that insulting. I can't even look at the other names clearly with those names side by side in that order.

So:

16. Ric Flair
17. John Cena

This just goes to show how biased and ridiculous WWE can be.

Hulk Hogan at #23? Are they serious? WWE wouldn't exist without the Hulkster; that's how big of a "Superstar" that motherfucker was. The fact that he's not #1 immediately brings down the value of this list/DVD, but at 23? Jesus, it holds no credibility whatsoever now.

Maybe you could make the argument that Hogan did too much outside of WWE to be deserving of a higher spot, but fucking Harley Race is at #6. I love Harley Race, but he was a complete joke in WWE, so you can't say that it's because Hogan accomplished too much outside of WWE why he isn't higher.

But maybe, just maybe, the Wrestling Observer messed this up and it's not really a listing from 1-50; just 50 wrestlers in no specific order. I certainly hope that turns out to be the case, otherwise this is truly ******ed.

There is already a list on the WWE page. But I will share the same thoughts there that I did here:

John Cena above Ric Flair on anything is a disgrace. Hulk Hogan was WWE incarnate and at #23? Really? And personally I would never put Big Show on a top 50 list. but that's just me.

List should have started like this:

1. Hulk Hogan
2. Steve Austin
3. Ric Flair

And so and so forth.

Well for one thing this list is more "WWE owns the footage so it's their history" bullshit as Bockwinkle and Thesz are on there. I'm glad they are because if more than 2% of any live crowd knew who those guys were I'd be amazed. I'm with JMT in that I hope the Observer got the list messed up and that it's in no order because then there's definitely an argument to be made various ways. For instance, when was Taker ever even the top guy in the company, let alone all time #2? Hogan or Austin are the only real options for #1 with Sammartino as a tiny dark horse. Anyone other than that (considering Vince not to be a wrestler that is) is completely ridiculous, including Shawn.

Waits for the IWC to explode at Shawn Michaels being #1........

I'm not a big fan of Hogan, but to have him listed at #23 is just completely ridiculous. Hulk Hogan is the main reason why WWE became famous. He blazed a trail in WWF throughout the 80's and early 90's, he put WWF/WWE on the map, and you can't deny that. Look, I know Vince and Hogan have had their problems over the years, but this is too much. If Vince has a problem with Hogan being in TNA, then WWE should just hold off on the release of this DVD. Wait to Hogan retires from pro wrestling, then release this DVD, because this is just absurd in every way possible.

I love Shawn, but there is no way he should hold the #1 spot. Michaels did have a legendary career, there's no denying that. But he never was and he never will be as big as Hogan. I'm a fan of The Deadman, but he shouldn't be holding the #2 spot. The top two spots belong to Hogan and Austin(with Hogan being #1 of course). That's how it should be. These two guys are easily WWE's top two stars of all time.

This DVD and list can't be taken seriously. I think WWE and Vince are using this DVD/list to take a shot at Hogan. And if that's the case, then it's a very childish and petty move on their part.

This just goes to show how biased and ridiculous WWE can be.

Hulk Hogan at #23? Are they serious? WWE wouldn't exist without the Hulkster; that's how big of a "Superstar" that motherfucker was. The fact that he's not #1 immediately brings down the value of this list/DVD, but at 23? Jesus, it holds no credibility whatsoever now.

Maybe you could make the argument that Hogan did too much outside of WWE to be deserving of a higher spot, but fucking Harley Race is at #6. I love Harley Race, but he was a complete joke in WWE, so you can't say that it's because Hogan accomplished too much outside of WWE why he isn't higher.

But maybe, just maybe, the Wrestling Observer messed this up and it's not really a listing from 1-50; just 50 wrestlers in no specific order. I certainly hope that turns out to be the case, otherwise this is truly ******ed.

thank you very much you said it buddy... HULK HOGAN 23 what a joke hulkamania is WWE, he put it on the map without hulk hogan there would be no wrestlemania there would be nothing whoever made this list is a complete moron.. not only did hulk hogan make wwe, he went to wcw and made that company.. i dont mind the top 5 of the list but putting bret hart ahead of the rock i think is a joke..

my top 5 would go like

5.undertaker
4.hbk
3.the rock
2.hogan
1.austin

Hulk Hogan, in his last run with WWE was getting bigger pops than DX.

Shawn shouldn't be #1, he didn't draw well in his first title run, and he only became legendary after he came back from his back injury.

Eddie was good but not better than Triple H. Terry Funk? A JOKE.

This whole list is bullshit. Moolah over Orton? Then wheres Trish?

From the looks of it I think it's just a list of who's on the DVD with numbers beside each name. But if this is a ranking then yea, Hogan needs to be either 1,2, or 3. Hardy probably shouldn't be on this list and Pat Patterson as a top 50 superstar just doesn't fit. He was the first IC champ but the majority of his career in the business was backstage. Batista could easily be replaced by Yokozuna or Vader, not saying he shouldn't be on the list because from a kayfabe perspective he deserves to be there. There's no Ultimate Warrior either, I know he's batshit crazy, but damn.

There are a lot of things to nit-pick about this, what makes it the toughest is we have no idea what criteria they use to determine the top fifty... general opinion on here is dictating that Hogan be #1, I would agree if contribution to wrestling was part of the criteria, but if it's just who's best at the craft I have absolutely no problem with HBK on top, but I would have a beef with Jericho all the way back at 25.

I'd really like to see how they compiled this list

The fact that Sting isn't on this list is a total farce.
Cena should never be above Flair whether it is on the mic or in the ring, Flair is easily top 3 if not the best of all time. I'm also surprised to see Harley Race & Steamboat above Flair, although they are great wrestlers. Maybe it is due to him being in TNA that they didn't want to put him to high. And yeah, definitely surprised Hardy made the list.

This list seems to be a FU to Hogan and Flair. Just biased, self-serving nonsense from the WWE and VKM. Where the hell is the Ultimate Warrior?

How on earth is Rey Mysterio above Triple H & John Cena? and neither of them even in the top 10! with 20 world titles between and the faces of the company. I acknowledge there is always debate in these lists but this is a joke!

Lol Yea the list seems to knock down Flair and Hulk but somehow Jeff Hardy made the list :dunno:.

However like most Id have Hogan and Austin in the top two spots. Austin probably number 1. Hows HBK number 1? Cause hes been loyal? Ok. Whatever. This looks like an official list which is disappointing.

The fact that Kane and the Big Show are on that list is a joke... They are pretty much there because of their tenure.

Hall & Nash were a big deal, even as Razor Ramon & Diesel. Another glaring omission is Vader.

Jake Roberts being on that list is pretty bad too, considering the only WWF/E gold he has ever won is the Million Dollar Title. Tito Santana had the Intercontinental title for a pretty long reign, not to mention is a Hall of Fame member.

To be honest, WWE shouldn't even do something like this because it just stirs controversy and makes people angry.

I am pretty sure that this list is not in any specific order. The top five is correct, but like jmt225 said, Hulk Hogan would be rated a bit higher unless they are accounting for skill. But if that was the case, Jericho would be higher on the list. So, I'm sure this is in no specific order.

Well aside from agreeing about Hogan's positioning and HBK as great as he is being #1, I only have 2 other BIG complaints.

1. Bruno Sammartino at 24? Wth? These days much more of an emphasis has been put on how many titles a person has won vs the length of any of them. One PPV, Orton and HHH literally flopped the strap between them 3 or 4 times IN 1 NIGHT! Bruno's 1st reign as WWWF Champion was 7 1/2 years! Most of John Cena's fan base hasn't even been ALIVE that long! And his second one if I remember right was about 4 1/2 years long. Take all of these great 10-11-16 whatever time champions we have in history and add up their reigns and I bet added up most of them wouldn't even match the length of Bruno's shortest reign. It's apparent that this list was for wrestlers accomplishments in all of wrestling not just WWE (hence Jerry Lawler's high ranking), but if that's the case the top 3 should be in any order you'd want to debate: Hogan, Flair, and Sammartino. Case closed.

2. Rey Misterio at #9. I love Rey to death. He not only revolutionized cruiserweight wrestling in a lot of ways, but changed how people look at "the little guy" in main events. Rey very much deserves a high spot (goodness knows he's given us enough of them), but not a Top 10 spot. This is one that can be debated, and is just my opinion, but Rey Misterio needs to take a back seat when compared with some other great names on this list. Him ranked right above Roddy Piper alone makes me cringe and hit the "BS button".

There are others I could complain about but in my mind are more trivial complaints. These two other than the ones already stated are gross mistakes to me.

I only have a few problems w/ this list honestly. Michaels at #1 is my pick actually.. mic work, in-ring, character you have to give the nod to HBK...He was part of WWE for i would say about 15 years wrestling and has put on some of the greatest performances in history of wrestling... Kind of the same thing w/ Taker..u just don't find to many 20 year guys ne more..Taker is the best big man ever imo.....but ok Hogan #23??? hogan not being in top 3-5 is a complete travesty..ya he wasn't the greatest in ring technician but damn they even have Cena over him... most of us on here were hulkamaniacs and he was probably the main reason WWE even did well.. and no way if Cena retires tomorrow he's better than Ric Flair...What is Cena doing ahead of Angle anyways?? I'm not a Cena hater but he has no argument to be that high..I am definitely glad to see Rey Mysterio at #9.. he helped the cruiserweights and their perception by his wrestling....I guess if u go to TNA your automatically shunned... Piper,curt hennig, frickin Harley Race all over Flair.. pleaseee no way

It's pretty messed up when you have a Top 50 greatest superstars of all time and John Cena is ahead of Ric Flair and Hulk Hogan. Love him or hate him, you can make a big argument for the fact that Vince and the WWE are where they are today, because of Hulk Hogan. Now I don't think they had to put Hulk and Ric at #1 and #2, but they should have made the top 5. No doubt about it. It's also bogus that Sting is no where to be found on this list and Batista made the list. Batista? Really?

Cena's above so many people that he shouldn't be. And Batista makes this fucking list? You gotta be shittin me! No fucking way he should be in the top 50.
Further more Sting not being on this list somewhere's above Cena at least is just ******ed.

I looked at wrestlingobserver.com and this is the official ranking. Hogan being in the mid-20's is a joke and I bet him and Flair being in TNA has something to do with it. I think HBK being number 1 is an example of revisionist history the same way they did with Flair. When Flair came back to the WWE, they keep shoving it down our throats basically that he was the greatest of all time and they did the same thing with HBK. My top five are Hogan, Austin, Flair, Savage, and Rock. I might agree with 80-90% of the names on the list but not at the ranking they're placed in.

I think Hogan, Flair, Angle, Savage & Warrior should be in the 10 with Rock, HBK, HHH, Austin & Taker. You can arrange them anyway you want its kind a who's who of wrestling so it wouldn't matter who number 1 but that's the top ten no doubt to me. It seems like its a loyalty list if anything.

I wouldn't be all that upset if Cena was in the top ten he is the biggest thing going at the present time so that would kinda make sense. I kinda get what they're doing by mentioning Flair & Hogan, just recognizing that they contributed but still dissing them by ranking them so low. I believe it was a shot at the two "Immortals" because ranking them low is a bigger diss than ignoring them.

It seems fairly obvious where everyone is going with this:

1) John Cena deserves to be drawn and quartered.
2) The Fabulous Moolah is underrated at #27.
3) The 30+ combined championships of Triple H and Ric Flair are paltry achievements compared to a stunning 619 and title upset against Kevin Nash. (See #9)
4) Booker T can apparently not dig that.
5) Sitting next to Jim Ross, wearing a plastic crown and piledriving Andy Kaufman lend more credibility than building the wrestling empire in the 1980's. (#20, #23)
6) What? (#3)
7) The Million Dollar Man (w/ Virgil) had a better career (and Hairdo) than Kurt Angle.
8) Deacon Batista learned from wise Rev. D-Von and became a better mat technician than Sting
9) Kane is a murderer.

Isn't revisionist history fun?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back