Your wors blizzard/snow storm memory?

FlexAmerican Dynamite

WZCW WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION
Well I basically just got down with a rough day of classes and me thinking the snow is not gonna be that bad, I decided to take the bus home. Well turns out I end up missing about three buses in a row(can't really explain, complicated street layout). Anyway takes me about a hour on the bus because the driver has to go slowly(slippery rodes and what not). Eventually a bunch of annoying people eventually get on the bus(as they always do) and it becomes a hour long bus ride of slow obnoxious, bad music playing coldness. Now onto my question, since the city of 1000 holds has a extremely good possibilty of shutting down just about everything tonite. I wanted to ask you guys which is your worst blizzard memory? Now this isn't my worst memory, but it's one of my most annoying to date.

My worst memory isn't necessarily a snowstorm or blizzard per say, but rather the aftereffects, which are still being felt to this day.

In 1996 a massive blizzard rampaged across Tennessee, and raped and pillaged everything in its path. My grandparents used to own a plot of about 2 and half acres, which my mother now [supposedly] owns. All of the giant deciduous trees on the property twisted and collapsed on top of each other in a tangled heap.

At the time my mother and grandparents could not be bothered to have the trees removed, but now 16 years later it now looks like a small forest has grown upon this little plot of land. In order for my mother to get top dollar for the property when she sells it all of the trees have to be stipped to the ground because they aren't pretty enough to be left standing. A feat that going to cost around ten g's; all thanks to a giant blizzard and procrastination.

I have had 2 to my recollection. The first happened while I was in Elementary School and I don't remember much other than my Dad picking me up from School and us sliding all over the road.

The other one happened in the Winter of my 7th grade year. I just remember that we were without power for about 3 days so the only thing we had to entertain ourselves was to sit in the window, watching a listening to the branches give way from all of the heavy ice. It was really surreal for me back then. I remember my youngest brother who was 3 at the time saying that Superman was flying through the trees.

My worst snow storm memory came last year. In central Texas it is very rare to see snow, let alone a winter storm. In January 2011 we ended up getting a winter storm that saw us getting snowed in, school got cancelled, and people were out having fun in the snow. I was on the second floor so we could still get outside to walk around. Walking to the gas station on the other side of campus for candy turned into a perilous journey of avoiding slipping on ice AND avoiding cars for fear that the drivers would not be able to drive on icy roads. The sidewalks of the park were all COMPLETELY frozen solid and so was most of the parking lot. My wife made fun of me for walking so slow and carefully, but she ended up slipping while I didn't. Then we found a cardboard box that we used to sled down a big hill on. That part was kinda fun but other than that it was an experience I hope to not go through again because I am miserable in extreme cold. It's a rarity here, once a year if even that, to see that much snow/ice.

Well, I am just old enough to remember the Great Blizzard of 1978. It was big enough that it actually has it's own Wikipedia article...

We had a porch in the front of our house that was completely walled in by a sheet of ice, from top to bottom. It took my dad 3 days to shovel the driveway. Not only did we get a ton of snow, almost 20 inches in less than 24 hours, but with the drifts, it led to mountains of snow that could be measured in feet, not inches. The amount of snow that falls and the actual height of the snow when it's all finished are two separate things, lol. My brothers and I were all still to small to help out, so he had to do it on his own. Then, once he got the snow out of the way, he had to break up the blocks of ice that prevented the garage door from opening. It was a huge mess.

But, as a small child, it was probably one of the best winters ever. After the snow plows came down our street, the height of the snow bank between the road and the sidewalk were at minimum 8 feet tall...so what did my older brother and I do? We grabbed our little kid sized shovels, and tunneled. In a manner of days, we had a tunnel under that snow bank going all the way from our driveway to our neighbor's property.

My two stories I guess I wouldn't stay worse because good things came in result of the snow stoem. Last year when we had that snow storm after Christmas I had to walk to work in the snow storm at 6Am. That year was bad because no snow plows came that night I couldn't even see my car I couldn't see anything all you saw was white snow. couldn't get out threw the front door. I had to go through the garage door. I walked waste deep through the snow good thing my job was right across the street from my neighborhood. I honestlly thought that was really cool and fun to walk waste deep in the snow.
I also found my cat that recentlly passes away 18 years ago in a huge snow storm. He was just sitting ot our front door super skinny you could see his ribs. We named him Lucky and we took him in gave him pleanty of food, got him fat and he lived a great life

Back in I think 2002 there was an ice storm here in Lexington. The city absolutely shut down. It started I think on Saturday night and when I woke up, the tree in our front yard was on the ground. My uncle and I went out later and we drove in his van around the neighborhood without having to start the engine. We just slid around. It took us 5 hours to get to another town 30 minutes away on a normal day. We went to a hotel in town but the power went out there too. My family and I wound up spending 5 days in my hometown while my mom went back to Lexington every day for work.

I've got two:

1997: Back in my old hometown, we were hit with an ice storm. The storm was bad enough where the power would go in and out for a week, and the cable for the TV wouldn't work. Worse yet, I was sick (along with my brother and sister), and was pretty much bed-ridden for that time.

2010: The infamous storm from a couple of years back (only a few days until the 2-year anniversary). I remember Hogan about to cut a promo on iMPACT, and the power went out. The power would be out for three whole days. Later on, my Dad got a generator and was able to half-power the house. Long story short, it was a major pain in the ass, but at least I learned this: ALWAYS GET A GENERATOR!

It was about 7 years ago give or take when I had my worse snow experience. I was living up in Rhode Island at the time. We just got hit with about 2 feet of snow without including the drifts which made some of the snow pile up to over 3 feet high. I remember it being a very cold winter too. I walked around the whole entire winter due to having no license. Doing all this walking started to get me sick before the snow storm had happened. I remember spitting up flem, which was yellow and green. It was disgusting. I barley slept for days too. I remember telling my mom before the storm came that I wasn't feeling good so shoveling was going to not happen. She laughed. She told me I had to since it was just her and I because her boyfriend was living out in Illinois at the time. I was pissed when we were talking about this. The snow was already falling at the time. So I called my best friend to come over to kick back and jam on some video games since there was going to be no school. Plus, he had smokes and I was out at the time. I remember waking up the next morning to my mom saying "come on Nick, let’s get to shoveling." I didn't sleep a wink due to the feeling of me dying along with being in chronic pain. I told her I was sick as hell and couldn't do it. She told me to get outside. I didn't argue with my energy level being at negative 1000, I just said ok. So, I go outside, shovel in hand with my mom, my friend and me. I grab a cig, smoke half of it while spitting out nasty flem. I kept telling my mom I had pneumonia, she didn't believe me. My chest was on fire, I was hurting and while all this was happening my friend was complaining he was cold. He shoveled about 3 feet before I snapped and told him to go inside. I was livid. It took me and my mom an hour and a half to shovel the drive way. I was spitting flem up every minute, dying, or it at least felt like I was.

When we got inside I lashed out at my friend. I almost threw him through the door and kicked his ass due to how mad he made me that I shoveled my driveway sick as a motherfucker. My mom looked at me she said to me "thank you, are you ok? You don't look so good." I told her no. I am dying. I told my friend to go home. I went to rest in my room until the morning. I didn't sleep at all, so my mom called the doctors. My face was whiter than the snow on the ground at this point. I got to the doctors and he said as soon as I got into the office that I have Walking Pneumonia. My whole entire left (could've been my right) lung was filled traveling into the other lung too. My mom's face said it all. She apologized for making me shovel. She felt so guilty that she didn't believe me that I was actually sick. I didn't care though. I knew I was the only one who was going to help her shovel so it was my duty. My health comes second to my mom even with lungs filled with death. She was so upset she started to cry in the office. My doctor who asked why she was upset heard my mom say I made him shovel. He said that wasn’t a good idea. But, hey, I had to do it and I was thankful I did. I was even more thankful she took me to the doctors too.

So this is and to this day will always be my worse snow memory ever! It was shoveling a drive way with a lung and half full of Pneumonia with zero sleep. Not too sure if many people can say they've done that but I can. Sorry for the long post too.

My worst was getting an assload of snow and still having to go to school. It was total bullshit at the time, on the walk home I was just frozen and pissed off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back