Status
Not open for further replies.

Cena's Little Helper

Mid-Card Championship Winner
00's Region - 2nd Round - The Office (US) vs It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia

E_PamJimTheOffice_325.jpg

VS

v3pVp0F00qlfyxa89SWp8zXno1_500.jpg

Folks, do the right thing here and vote for Sunny. Sure, I watch The Office (US) on a regular basis, and it's a cute and funny show. However, there's nothing new here; its alleged originality is nothing more than rehashing sitcom cliches sans a laugh track. On the other hand, Sunny is one of the most significant American sitcoms/comedy shows of this decade. Like Arrested Development and Curb Your Enthusiasm, this show's dark, acerbic humor is groundbreaking. Furthermore, you won't find more clever and imaginative writing anywhere else on television (please, someone try to prove me wrong).

VOTE SUNNY!!!

VERY tough choice here for me, but I'm going with It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. I love The Office, but sometimes the situations really get to the point where the show is incredibly hard to watch, and they get pretty heavy. When I sit and watch a comedy, I just want to laugh and not get that uncomfortable feeling (such as Michael going to visit a bunch of underprivileged kids he promised to pay college tuition for when they were third graders, to tell them he can't pay for it after all, or Pam crying because she's a terrible person and had to be consoled by Dwight).

It's Always Sunny was a great show that was made that much better with the addition of Danny Devito to the cast. The cast has also grown so much over the past few years that some of the best episodes are where Devito is not so much of a focal point. I love Devito too, but the cast is really coming into their own. The situations are always hysterical, and dark as hell. The Gang's hijinks are what keeps me coming back every week, and some of the outrageous stuff that they write is unreal... making you wonder how the hell it ever got cleared by FX. The cast is also willing to do what it takes to get a laugh and entertain the audience. Look no further than the couch scene with Danny Devito in the Christmas special. Devito is a very accomplished actor who has done everything in his career. He didn't need to go completely naked in that scene, and he did.

Vote Sunny. The funniest show on television today.

This was a very tough choice for me. The Office is one of my favourite shows and I love everything about it. However, I have recently downloaded It's Always Sunny and have been watching it quite a lot in the last couple of days. I really do like it but I don't think I wave watched enough of it yet for it to be considered better, at least in my opinion. The Office is a quality show and really does impress me every time I watch it. I thought it was excellent whilst on British TV and now is an exceptional show on American TV. It's Always Sunny seems like a good show and if it makes it through this round I won't be surprised because it is very funny.

Monkey has never seen "It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia"

False.

Monkey has seen it, and thinks it's rather hilarious.

Fact.

Monkey loves The Office, even more so than Philly.

Let me put it this way, if a pack of Lions(IASIP) came through destroying almost everything in site and making them laugh while doing it. Then out of nowhere a T-Rex(The Office) just rolled into town and destroyed everything, including said Lions. We would then know the dominant show. But we just use a voting system so that does me no good.

Fact.

You need to vote for The Office. Or Monkey Schrute will throw beets at you.

dwight_l.jpg

Wait, who's the T-Rex? I have to go with the Office here. One of my favorite shows on TV at the moment. Each and every cast member is just fantastic. Do I need to remind you of some moments from the show? How about when Dwight pepper sprayed Roy? Or when Stanley played basketball? Andy punching a hole in the wall?

These are just a few of the dare I say millions of laugh out loud moments I've experienced by watching the Office. Philly is a very good show, but I'm not sure I'd vote anything over the Office.

I've never really found the appeal of The Office. I watched it a few times when it debuted but I could never get into it.

I've only seen Philadelphia a handful of times, and I've purchased a few episodes on my computer. Some of the episodes are hit and miss but the others are all hilarious, my favorite being the one where they satirized Extreme Makeover: Home Edition.

vote Philadelphia

Holy FUCK this is unfair. How do shit shows like Maude and Soap get to coast through these rounds while The Office and It's Always Sunny get paired up? Just unfair man, two of the very best shows on TV right now. I absolutely adore The Office, could and have watched it a thousand times and never get sick of it.

But vote for It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia here people. If you haven't seen it, seriously, go to Hulu immediately and watch it. I'm not joking when I say it is not only the funniest show on TV today, but that it's the single funniest show in television history. Seriously, I DARE you to find me a show funnier than Sunny, it's impossible. I love the Office, but seriously, the RIGHT vote here is for It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia people.

Even The Office's funniest moments mentioned don't stack up to some of the mediocre jokes on Sunny. I challenge anyone to watch that show and not laugh. It's physically impossible.

VOTE FOR SUNNY RIGHT FUCKING NOW!

X said a swear at me, and it spurred me to vote for The Office. He is actually the guy that got me to watch Its always sunny in philadelphia, and you know what? It is funny. But I have only watched about 10 episodes. Doesnt draw me in. Now my ginger friend told me to watch the Office. So I think to myself, alright, I will. Watched the first short season. Loved it. WAtched the next season, and kept going, catching up and watching them week after week loving the show. So yeah, IASIP is funny, but it doesnt draw me in like The office does, a show that has surpassed the original by leaps and bounds.

X said a swear at me, and it spurred me to vote for The Office. He is actually the guy that got me to watch Its always sunny in philadelphia, and you know what? It is funny. But I have only watched about 10 episodes. Doesnt draw me in. Now my ginger friend told me to watch the Office. So I think to myself, alright, I will. Watched the first short season. Loved it. WAtched the next season, and kept going, catching up and watching them week after week loving the show. So yeah, IASIP is funny, but it doesnt draw me in like The office does, a show that has surpassed the original by leaps and bounds.

How can The Office but not Sunny draw you in? What exactly draws you in to one but not the other? Is it the Jim/Pam romance? Michael Scott's naivete? Dwight's brusque manner?

If it's not for any of the above reasons (although the reasons I listed are pretty bad), then your choice is unpardonable. From a humor stand-point, Sunny trumps The Office in every way imaginable.

Let's look at one theme right now that they both touch upon: sheltered, white people's reactions to African-Americans. In The Office, Michael Scott thinks it's all right to tell Chris Rock jokes; that's insulting, not funny. Also, Michael Scott is afraid of Stanley; this would have been funny had Chappelle's Show not covered this same exact kind of dynamic in a skit he did about Roots Outtakes back in 2003. On the other hand, the guys from Sunny touch on this topic in a much more funny and clever manner. I'll let the preview for "The Gang Gives Back" do the talking for itself:

[YOUTUBE]e7MC6yseBGU[/YOUTUBE]​

Reactions: X
Yeah, after watching a lot more of the show, I wish I had now voted for Sunny.

You may or may not believe X or TDigle when they back it but as both a Brit (Where The Office originated), who found The Office to be sublime and Sunny to be even better must mean something. The Office was great for subtle humour and just awkward situation that made me giggle. However, I have watched all of season 1 and 2 of Sunny and putting it against season 1 and 2 of The Office leaves me in no doubt that Sunny is the better show. All of the things that makes The Office great like it's observational comedy, subtle jokes and great performances from the cast are even more so in Sunny and to top it all off, it is more in your face. There is a lot of dark humour in it and it is more of a laugh out loud comedy. It is a fantastic show and definitely worth a vote.

Moderator's Edit: Sounds good to me, Dave! Although the poll says otherwise, Dave's vote will now be counted towards It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

I voted for The Office but I was sure to look up some episodes of Sunny. It's a really funny show and I plan on watching more today. I'm still glad I voted for The Office because this show makes me laugh every time I watch it. The cast is great and is accompanied by even better writing. This tournament has let me discover a new show and I'm sad to see it face a monster like The Office.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back