2011 Debaters League Discussion - NEW FORMAT NEEDS YOUR FEEDBACK!

Then I think we'd all burn in the fifth circle of hell.

As funny as this statement is, I still need a real reason why it would be a bad idea. A straight-up, double-elimination tournament with random seeding picked out of a hat.

You're actually very flexible with regards to how many people can play. Sixteen or thirty-two would be ideal, but the structure could probably be tweaked to allow for almost any number of entrants (you can change the number of groups or have five players instead of four or whatever).

Five days per debate, two days to judge, slap a week off after the group stages to allow for judges falling behind. Whole thing should be done before the end of the season it started.

Ok, this is cool. But I'm a little annoyed about the initial round-robin, to be honest.

¡Roján!;3756790 said:
Stats could be more than rep. Such things as post count, date joined, and how the organizers feel about the participant can be put into consideration too.

See, you're mistaken here. I think you're getting pool and group mixed up. A newbie is not going to do well in a pool of newbies. The pool of newbies are going to be evenly shared out. Basically, a group of four would consist of one newbie, one regular, one good and one elite.

Honestly, I think I know enough about all parties involved to give a fair and just seeding system, if need be.

I think it should be randomly drawn, as frankly I'd find nothing funnier than what is considered one of the top debators going out in the first round.

This is the most fair way to do things. Hell, most of our WZ tournaments require random seeding. Why should this one be any different? If you're a good debater, then regardless of where you're seeded, you should go far.

As funny as this statement is, I still need a real reason why it would be a bad idea. A straight-up, double-elimination tournament with random seeding picked out of a hat.

Mostly just because it's a more confusing alternative to a prelemenary round robin, and doesn't really have any advantages. It'll still have fewer opportunities to debate, place more emphasis on luck of the draw, be affected worse by no-shows and be less flexible regarding how many people can play. In exchange you get... not very much really.

Ok, then I think I'll take a consensus in this thread:

1. World Cup Style Tournament (Round Robin followed by tournament bracket)

2. Straight-up Double Elimination Tournament

(Both will have random seeding.)

Since they're so similar, I'll just let you guys vote it out.

Truth be told, I'd rather do less work with the straight-up tournament. It allows everyone to have at least 2 debates each which is more than fair, especially if you totally suck ass or if you need a second chance after a really close first-outing.

I would go with the double elimination. The simpler the format, the easier it is to keep track of everything, the less confusion there is.

The smart thing to do with a World Cup format would be the use different rules for the qualifiers and the tournament rounds.

For the group stages limit people to a simple point-counterpoint structure where players get one post to make their argument, and one post to address their opponent's. This will make things much easier on the judges, and more forgiving for the less experienced competitors.

Once you get to the knock out stages you should only have to top debaters left, and the training wheels can be removed allowing people to have the multi-quote wars that we have come to know and love. There'll be half as many debates happening, so it'll be much easier for the judges to handle.

I just noticed this post and I LOVE the idea.

So whether we choose Straight-up or World Cup format, the first round will only have a limited number of replies in order to make things easier on the judges and to keep things moving quickly.

Thanks, Gelgarin. I feel stupid for not thinking of it first.

As far as the time zone issue, there's no perfect solution to it like Gelgarin mentioned in the other thread.

The one idea I instantly came up with, meaning I haven't completely thought it out, is making 3 or 4 different groups depending on the amount of people in it. You can have all of the people that have the same or very close time zones in each group. So you could have all of the people in England and other countries within a good range in time be in one group and then the people in this side of the hemisphere be in a different one.

That way you won't have as big of delays if it's someone in America facing someone in England for example. They'd be within the same time range so they'd have more than enough time to debate unless anything came up that couldn't be controlled.

That's my solution. Like I said, I didn't think it out completely but tell me what you think anyways.

¡Roján!;3756970 said:
D-Man I recommend you make another thread, so we can all vote on the way it's going to be carried out.

The only reason why I didn't is because I don't want readers to see poll choices and vote before they've even read what the hell is going on. For the readers who care, they'd read through this thread and make their decision in a separate post. The ones who are too lazy to read won't waste votes.

As far as the time zone issue, there's no perfect solution to it like Gelgarin mentioned in the other thread.

The one idea I instantly came up with, meaning I haven't completely thought it out, is making 3 or 4 different groups depending on the amount of people in it. You can have all of the people that have the same or very close time zones in each group. So you could have all of the people in England and other countries within a good range in time be in one group and then the people in this side of the hemisphere be in a different one.

That way you won't have as big of delays if it's someone in America facing someone in England for example. They'd be within the same time range so they'd have more than enough time to debate unless anything came up that couldn't be controlled.

That's my solution. Like I said, I didn't think it out completely but tell me what you think anyways.

The time zone issue isn't really much of an issue anymore. Gelgarin proposed that first round or two would have a limited number of replies within the debate threads. I'm suggesting only two replies in each thread. This way, I can put a 3-4 day time limit on each debate (instead of a week), giving the debaters plenty of time to post a thought and get a second crack at it. In addition, we'd save a few days in each debate which will all add up in the end.

The time zone issue isn't really much of an issue anymore. Gelgarin proposed that first round or two would have a limited number of replies within the debate threads. I'm suggesting only two replies in each thread. This way, I can put a 3-4 day time limit on each debate (instead of a week), giving the debaters plenty of time to post a thought and get a second crack at it. In addition, we'd save a few days in each debate which will all add up in the end.

I'm not completely against Gelgarin's idea but I feel it would be better to set a minimum amount of posts, which can be what he said, and if people want to continue debating then they should. With so many topics that can be debated on, I don't think it's fair to the people reading the debates and the people doing the debating as well to limit their debates even if it's just for the first few rounds.

I'm not completely against Gelgarin's idea but I feel it would be better to set a minimum amount of posts, which can be what he said, and if people want to continue debating then they should. With so many topics that can be debated on, I don't think it's fair to the people reading the debates and the people doing the debating as well to limit their debates even if it's just for the first few rounds.

But why? The way that debates work is that debaters take turns while having an allotted time period to state all of their points. Whether you run out of time or you run out of posts shouldn't matter. Either way, no one will be able to go back and forth forever.

The first few rounds don't need pages upon pages of debating. The order happens via the flip of a coin, an equal amount of points and rebuttals can be made, and it gets judged. If debaters are effective enough, they won't need extra posts to reinforce their points. The judges will decide accordingly and it will save everyone on time and patience.

But why? The way that debates work is that debaters take turns while having an allotted time period to state all of their points. Whether you run out of time or you run out of posts shouldn't matter. Either way, no one will be able to go back and forth forever.

The first few rounds don't need pages upon pages of debating. The order happens via the flip of a coin, an equal amount of points and rebuttals can be made, and it gets judged. If debaters are effective enough, they won't need extra posts to reinforce their points. The judges will decide accordingly and it will save everyone on time and patience.

Yep. This is pretty much how most debates work anyway. You only have so much time to get them in, and a post limit would go a long way to maintaining that schedule.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, it'll definitely let things be a lot more smoother, but maybe I'm just not a fan of limiting things. When I was in it, I liked knowing that I could go on and argue my side of things as much as I wanted. Sure, if the points brought up are effective enough then someone might not need extra posts but not everyone can sum it all up in one post like that. I remember coming up with new things that would favor me after a few posts into the debate so it was nice that I wasn't being limited and still had the chance to bring those points up which could have helped me a lot or not at all.

Like I said, it's not a bad idea. I would just prefer there being a minimum and if people feel like it, then they should be allowed to keep going because there's always a lot of room to bring in new thoughts or idea into debates. I guess I might be one of those people who just doesn't like being pressured into having to put all my eggs into the basket at once so maybe that's why I'm not 100% in agreement with that idea.

¡Roján!;3756790 said:
Stats could be more than rep. Such things as post count, date joined, and how the organizers feel about the participant can be put into consideration too.

So by your proposal here, the only thing stopping someone like Milenko from being proclaimed top seed is the opinion of the organizers. No. No thank you. This idea just isn't going to work.

See, you're mistaken here. I think you're getting pool and group mixed up. A newbie is not going to do well in a pool of newbies. The pool of newbies are going to be evenly shared out. Basically, a group of four would consist of one newbie, one regular, one good and one elite.

Not that it matters anymore because D-Man has already agreed that random is the way to go, but I'd like to point out that this idea requires an equal amount of "Elite", "Regular", "Good", and "Newbie" posters to sign up. Otherwise, guys might be grouped into the wrong title. Again, just no. Horrible idea, glad we aren't doing it.

Also, I'm voting for Double Elimination. World Cup seems nice and all if we had all the time in the world, but however we look at it we did not have a Debater's League in 2011 and I'd like this to get going so that we aren't put off any longer. Life has proven itself to be very problematic in maintaining something like this over long periods, so I'd rather go with the option which takes less time to run. Why complicate things by having a round robin, a break, and then going to elimination? Why stretch it out? Let's just get going on this already, guys.

Not that it matters much in any regard, but I'm just throwing out that when TM ran it, I was a subbed in during week 3 or 4 and judged all those debates that needed it and all subsequent debates. If you do a week of debates, and then do single or double elimination it probably runs smooth in faster time as a whole. That's the obvious. Why am I saying this? Well as far as a week goes, I work the weekend and generally have time to judge each debate, if I were wanted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back