Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
contra-cover.jpg

As the seedings get closer to each other, we see games that really could beat their higher-ranked opposition. Contra and PoP are two games that will go at each other from the start. But which one will come out on top?

POPWW%20cover.jpg

This is a tough match-up for POP:Warrior Within as a lot of people are going to vote for Contra out of nostalgia, if not anything else. There is no problem in doing that but by doing so you will be ignoring an awesome game.

It is no secret that I am a POP fan but I am so with good reason. Contra was fun when it started out but it is basically a shooting game with very little strategy involved. You just have to evade attacks from your enemies and shoot them down. POP is much more than that. Of course, you have to fight your enemies and it's combat system is it's huge strength but you also have to solve intricate puzzles, evade some devious traps and a brilliant story to boot. It has much more to offer than Contra.

The plot of this game revolves around the Prince of Persia being chased by a monster known as the Dahaka. Basically the Prince had made some changes in the timeline in the previous game which had not pleased the Dahaka much as the Dahaka is the guardian of the timeline. The Dahaka has been chasing the Prince around for seven years. Most seers tell the Prince to just accept his fate and wait for death but the Prince isn't willing to give up so easily. He sets sail for the Island of Time where the Empress of Time has first created the Sands of Time.

His ship is attacked by a mysterious woman and his ship gets destroyed and the Prince washes ashore onto the Island of Time. There he chases the mysterious woman and gets transported to the past where he saves a woman named Kaileena from the mysterious woman in black whose name turns out to be Shadee. During the course of the game it is later revealed that Kaileena is indeed the Empress of Time and midway into the game he defeats and kills Kaileena hoping to end his misfortune as he has defeated Kaileena before the creation of the Sands of Time. Thus he feels that if the sands had not been created in the first place there is no need for him to have used those sands the first time around and thereby create a disturbance in the timeline which is the reason why the Dahaka is chasing is chasing the Prince. But to his amazement he finds that the Dahaka is still chasing the him around. This is a genuinely great twist in the game as I had almost thrown down my controller at this stage only to find the Dahaka chasing me again.

Why does this happen? It appears that the Empress' death was the point of creation of the Sands of Time and by killing the Empress it is the Prince of Persia who has indeed created the Sands of Time. How does he escape? I won't tell you that and advise you to get the game or read the spoilers as I believe that the ending is too great to be revealed. But I will tell you this. This game has two endings which adds greatly to its replayability, something else which Contra does not have.

So, in a nutshell POP: Warrior Within has better graphics, a better storyline, a better fighting system and endings which depend on the way you play the game. It also has more brain racking puzzles than anything Contra can hope to offer.

Finally let me leave you with some videos of the combat system from this game that I have praised so much. This will prove that the praise I am showering on it is not without reason.

[YOUTUBE]ZpmeosZH3ZI[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]wbIh3a61X9s[/YOUTUBE]

Don't let nostalgia cloud your mind. VOTE for Prince of Persia: The Warrior Within.

Myriad is right.

Prince of Persia: Warrior Within is one of my all time favourite games on the PS2. It took the series in such a radical direction from the first game, and has one of the best combat systems that I've ever used, far surpassing something like God of War. The soundtrack is insane, the story is great and the game mechanics and features using time travel make it an awesome awesome game.

As for Contra, I had the misfortune of being born past the hey day of the NES, and thus couldn't experience the glory of Contra and the animalistic muscle memory of the Contra Code. That being said, it is an immensely enjoyable shooter that is a great way to kill time with friends, a worthy opponent for any game.

However, PoP gets my vote.

I'm specifically voting for games that didn't get an EU release. Contra being one of them.

BUt Lee I'm from the UK and I played contra. We had a game called probotector (which was contra with robots). It's like this:

Thanks for Myriad for bringing this to my attention, now Warrior Within is adventure gaming at it's greatest (2nd to AC II). From the story to gameplay to music, it brings the best out of all aspects. The Prince interaction with Kaileena and the chase of the Dahaka are some of the most unique aspects I've seen in a video game story. From scaling the walls of caves to instantly taking out a sand creature, the Prince athletic skills creates one of the fastest pace combat systems. The scenery of the game takes on a darkening spin that actually improves the game quality. While in contrast to the almost cartoony like graphics of Sand of Times, Warrior Within is a grim world that along with the soundtrack of Arabian influenced heavy metal gives a perfect scene to the Prince's doomed fate throughout the game. Warrior Within is the best in a great franchise and while Contra is probably a lot of people's nostalgia favorite. I feel WW definitely should advance.

I'm personally not a fan of Prince of Persia at all, I've played a number of them and always find myself bored and un-interested after a while, while Contra on the other hand I played throughout the time I was growing up, and is definately one of the better games throughout gaming history in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back