A few religious questions.

Okay, maybe you just didn't understand my post...

When I say they're two completely different religions, I'm saying they are two completely different systems of beliefs. The Jewish people believe in the Old Testament, and follow the teachings of the Old Testament. The Christian people believe in the New Testament and follow the teachings of the New Testament. Sure, they believe in the same God. But they disagree on what God is trying to teach.

But by that logic, you can say that EVERY god is THE god.

Ok, so this does what to my point? I've lost where we're suppose to be.

Did you read the scripture I posted? That was from the Old Testament, where God said he was going to change his tune before he even did it. In plain English, he said, "You gotta follow my rules now, but when the time comes, there will be a new covenant, and it won't be like the covenant I'm giving you now."
Yes, I did read it, and my point still stands that it doesn't make sense. It doesn't matter if HE SAYS that he's going to do it. It's still silly.

I mean, people tend to cherry pick scripture out of the Bible to comfortably suit their lives. Atheists do it moreso than others.
Absolutely. You can do that with anything and everything.

I was agreeing with you, HOWEVER, I can tell just by having this conversation with you that you've never read the Bible, and it kind of supports the point that you and I agree with, about Christians, and it makes you a hypocrite.
I've read bits and pieces. Specifically Genesis, and all of the Gospels. I fail to see how it makes me a hypocrite though. - I don't follow the teachings of the bible and I don't consider them the word of God. So unless what I am cherry picking from is something I consider to be an absolute truth, why am I a hypocrite?

Lots of Christians cherry pick scripture when it's convenient for him.
Lots of militant atheists cherry pick scripture when it's convenient for an argument, or the scripture is taken out of context because they haven't bothered to read the rest of the Bible.

I don't consider it hypocritical for Militant atheists to cherry pick, because they don't follow the teachings. It's absolutely convienent for an argument against it, but since it's not something we consider a whole truth, why should we be limited the way people, who use a single book for their moral code, are? Yeah, I pick at the Old Testament alot more than I do the New Testament, because it's easy to say, hey- This God was an asshole- why follow him, even if he's nice now? Or hey, this is scientifically false- why follow a book based off of this? Christians want to say that it's a perfect word of God, and that we should raise children like this. (This formula works for every holy book, the Koran too.)

Atheists pick at the weakness because that's how you defeat something.

I've read enough of the bible to know that something's seriously wrong with it. That's more than most can say.

Did, uh.

:lmao:

I seriously don't know what to say to this. Of all the posts you've made in this thread that you could claim was satirical, you pick the one that couldn't even remotely be construed as satirical. At least if you had picked you "All Christians love war" statement you might have had a shot at people believing you.

gb2wrists

Um, yeah, Christians love war was half assed as a joke. If you want to think that's truly what I think, by all means- I don't give a shit Doc.

And if you really want think that I really meant that I was saying that I wanted to "spread the love" litterally to Jews and Christians, you're welcome to belive that too.

Go ahead Doc. Tell the world of my schizophrenia.

Ok, so this does what to my point? I've lost where we're suppose to be.

Jesus Christ, Why does this need to be spelled out?

-----> I am pretty sure one single god does not adhere to two completely different religions with two completely different sets of beliefs, some of which are completely contradictory. Therefore, he is not bipolar. "One" of his personalities doesn't exist. <-----

Yes, I did read it, and my point still stands that it doesn't make sense. It doesn't matter if HE SAYS that he's going to do it. It's still silly.

At this point, you're just dismissing scripture because it disagrees with one of your arguments. THAT'S silly.

Absolutely. You can do that with anything and everything.

And what, you find this to be an admirable trait in people?

I've read bits and pieces. Specifically Genesis, and all of the Gospels. I fail to see how it makes me a hypocrite though. - I don't follow the teachings of the bible and I don't consider them the word of God. So unless what I am cherry picking from is something I consider to be an absolute truth, why am I a hypocrite?

So why do you believe yourself to be a credible source of debate when you've only read bits and pieces? You are a hypocrite because you are cherry picking scripture to back up anti-religious arguments.

I don't consider it hypocritical for Militant atheists to cherry pick, because they don't follow the teachings. It's absolutely convienent for an argument against it, but since it's not something we consider a whole truth, why should we be limited the way people, who use a single book for their moral code, are? Yeah, I pick at the Old Testament alot more than I do the New Testament, because it's easy to say, hey- This God was an asshole- why follow him, even if he's nice now? Or hey, this is scientifically false- why follow a book based off of this? Christians want to say that it's a perfect word of God, and that we should raise children like this. (This formula works for every holy book, the Koran too.)

Sure, atheists can cherry-pick all they want. But they'd be idiots, and not worthy of adult conversation. So what, if they don't follow the teachings of the Bible? That makes their opinions and arguments LESS valid than those that actually HAVE read the Bible and can make legitimate arguments against it.

You can pick at the Old Testament all you want, but nobody follows the Old Testament. Why don't you go argue at the Jewish people?

Atheists pick at the weakness because that's how you defeat something.

There was no weakness. I provided scripture that completely demolished your entire argument.

I've read enough of the bible to know that something's seriously wrong with it. That's more than most can say.

No you haven't. You've read bits and pieces, and you've come up with arguments with holes that I, an atheist, no less, have filled up with...

Guess what...

Scripture.

For the love of God, someone, anyone, give Xemnas some Ritalin, or a tranquilizer... something.

I could do that actually, if he wanted to make the drive to Pennsylvania. Im not sure how ethical it would be, but I like the kid and all. Ironic, considering how I disagree with him on, well, everything?

Um, yeah, Christians love war was half assed as a joke. If you want to think that's truly what I think, by all means- I don't give a shit Doc.

And if you really want think that I really meant that I was saying that I wanted to "spread the love" litterally to Jews and Christians, you're welcome to belive that too.

Go ahead Doc. Tell the world of my schizophrenia.

Your trenchcoat, eye shadow, and dyed black hair says quite enough. You don't need my help.

Xemnas just needs to know when the battle is lost. I like that he's debating with another athiest, but it's like a Triple A ball club playing against the Yankees. Well, it's more like a high school basketball team playing a college basketball team, let's not give Mozz too much credit.

I've never read the bible myself, but I have done a good deal of religious studying. I attribute my never having read the bible to the fact I was raised Jewish until I became an atheist around 15 or so. I've considered reading it, but I don't own one and neither does my family for obvious reasons. I think next time I go to a hotel I'll swipe it just for the sake of irony.

Jesus Christ, Why does this need to be spelled out?

-----> I am pretty sure one single god does not adhere to two completely different religions with two completely different sets of beliefs, some of which are completely contradictory. Therefore, he is not bipolar. "One" of his personalities doesn't exist. <-----
So...he has multiple personality disorder. Ok, so what you're saying is that God is a religious hydra, and I'm doing it wrong for going after just one or two of the heads at a time, and I should be using arguments for the unlikelyhood of any God's existence? That's what you're trying to tell me?

At this point, you're just dismissing scripture because it disagrees with one of your arguments. THAT'S silly.
I'm not dismissing scripture because it disagrees with my point. I'm dismissing it because the idea that the supreme being of the universe makes one set of laws, and then desides to flop them around at a later date is ridiculous. A vengeful God is good for now, but in a few hundred years, God's going to take his meds and he'll be alot less irratable and make some new rules? Scripture or no scripture- what possible reason could there be for it?

And what, you find this to be an admirable trait in people?
No, just agreeing with you in general. People should know as much about it as they can. But whether or not it's bad depends on the situtation. And not a, "if they agree with me then good job, if they don't then they're not allowed to" kind of way. I already pointed out that if you take a book completely seriously, you probably shouldn't cherry pick from it and say, "look at all this good stuff!" and then pretend that there's not some horrible shit in it. I'm not ignoring the fact that the bible's got some good ethic.

So why do you believe yourself to be a credible source of debate when you've only read bits and pieces? You are a hypocrite because you are cherry picking scripture to back up anti-religious arguments.
Because it's difficult to take the time to read all holy books. I doubt you've done that Mozz. You seem to be saying that you've read the bible all the way through. Have you done the same with the Quran, the Book of Mormon, or any other random Holy Books? I'm not a hypocrite, because, as I've said- I'm not saying cherry picking is some terrible act. It depends on how you use it.
And this is where you're losing me. Are you telling me that as an atheist, you only debate with people on the holy books you've read all the way through?

Sure, atheists can cherry-pick all they want. But they'd be idiots, and not worthy of adult conversation. So what, if they don't follow the teachings of the Bible? That makes their opinions and arguments LESS valid than those that actually HAVE read the Bible and can make legitimate arguments against it.
So....let me get this straight. Everybody that quotes anything without reading or watching the entire thing is an idiot. Either you're a very very strict man living in a house filled with books, or you're probably as big of a hypocrite as I supposedly am.

You can pick at the Old Testament all you want, but nobody follows the Old Testament. Why don't you go argue at the Jewish people?
All three desert Dogmas start at the Old Testament. Nobody follows the Old Testament my ass. 2/3 of the Earth's population follows the Old Testament in one way or another. Either literally, like Jews and Young Earth Creationists, or as a prequel like normal Christians and Muslims.

There was no weakness. I provided scripture that completely demolished your entire argument.
:lmao: Whatever you say Mozz.

No you haven't. You've read bits and pieces, and you've come up with arguments with holes that I, an atheist, no less, have filled up with...

Guess what...

Scripture.

As I've stated. You didn't fill them up.

;)
you're assuming ANYONe wants to drive to PA

Wait, Mark Madden's there. RATINGS!!!!!

Forget Madden. I could, theoretically, write you a prescription for any legal substance you asked for, as long as I could make a fake chart on you quickly discussing your mental defeciencies.....;)

;)

Forget Madden. I could, theoretically, write you a prescription for any legal substance you asked for, as long as I could make a fake chart on you quickly discussing your mental defeciencies.....;)

Fuck that shit, I snort Comet

So...he has multiple personality disorder. Ok, so what you're saying is that God is a religious hydra, and I'm doing it wrong for going after just one or two of the heads at a time, and I should be using arguments for the unlikelyhood of any God's existence? That's what you're trying to tell me?

At this point, what I'm TRYING to tell you is that you can't read. I really don't know how to make it any clearer, so I'm just going to leave this point alone.

I'm not dismissing scripture because it disagrees with my point. I'm dismissing it because the idea that the supreme being of the universe makes one set of laws, and then desides to flop them around at a later date is ridiculous. A vengeful God is good for now, but in a few hundred years, God's going to take his meds and he'll be alot less irratable and make some new rules? Scripture or no scripture- what possible reason could there be for it?

Do you really think God has to explain himself to you?

It was explained in his scripture that there would be a new covenant, and that the old laws would be invalid upon the new covenant.

Further:

Jeremiah 29:11-12 said:
For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord. They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.

It basically says he has a plan, regardless of whether he prints it in tomorrow morning's newspaper.

But you know, I'm beyond expecting you to accept scripture that you haven't read simply because you haven't read it.

No, just agreeing with you in general. People should know as much about it as they can. But whether or not it's bad depends on the situtation. And not a, "if they agree with me then good job, if they don't then they're not allowed to" kind of way. I already pointed out that if you take a book completely seriously, you probably shouldn't cherry pick from it and say, "look at all this good stuff!" and then pretend that there's not some horrible shit in it. I'm not ignoring the fact that the bible's got some good ethic.

So then what's the matter with you picking up a Bible and reading it before making a complete fool of yourself? Seriously, you can read the entire thing for free online. Oh wait, you answered that:

Because it's difficult to take the time to read all holy books. I doubt you've done that Mozz. You seem to be saying that you've read the bible all the way through. Have you done the same with the Quran, the Book of Mormon, or any other random Holy Books? I'm not a hypocrite, because, as I've said- I'm not saying cherry picking is some terrible act. It depends on how you use it.

What the actual fuck does the Qur'an have to do with Christianity? Or the Book of Mormon, in this context?

It's not difficult to read the Bible. At all, in fact. It's not anymore difficult than reading any other book, but again, based on your arguments in this thread, you have difficulty reading my posts. I'm not expecting you to read The Bible.

And this is where you're losing me. Are you telling me that as an atheist, you only debate with people on the holy books you've read all the way through?

No. In fact, it's rather easy debating with people who haven't read the Bible, because they usually have no idea what the fuck they're talking about.

Case in point: You.

So....let me get this straight. Everybody that quotes anything without reading or watching the entire thing is an idiot. Either you're a very very strict man living in a house filled with books, or you're probably as big of a hypocrite as I supposedly am.

Er, actually, yes, they are idiots, whether their questions are valid or not. I think YOU are an idiot because you're making arguments against religion that are easily refuted by shit you haven't read, which is why you should read the Bible before making stupid arguments.

All three desert Dogmas start at the Old Testament. Nobody follows the Old Testament my ass. 2/3 of the Earth's population follows the Old Testament in one way or another. Either literally, like Jews and Young Earth Creationists, or as a prequel like normal Christians and Muslims.

Did you really just take "nobody" literally? Okay, I'll be as literal as I can.

No Christian living in modern times who actually follows the teachings of the Bible follows the Old Testament, because the Bible tells them not to.

:lmao: Whatever you say Mozz.

What, are you denying it?

As I've stated. You didn't fill them up.

Yes I have. Whether or not you accept them is your problem, not mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back