Anime/Manga Discussion

Yep, one of them threads. I'm not the biggest watcher of Anime but I do enjoy watching them when I do. I know there's a lot of anime/manga fans on here as well so it seemed like a good idea. There's probably already one of these buried somewhere but fuck it.

So I'm currently getting back on track for Naruto Shippuuden, I stopped watching a few episodes into the tenth season and have been re-watching season 8 to get back into the story. Although the main reason is because I fucking love the fight between Pain and Naruto towards the end of the season.

I'm also planning on starting the Fairy Tail anime. A friend from high school recommended it to me so I'll probably get into that tonight and maybe tomorrow as well. I have no idea what it's about but she said I'd enjoy it.

Here is a comprehensive list of the anime I have discovered to be 'not shit'.

FMA Brotherhood - Legitimate quality.
Death Note - Especially if you like gay aleatory.
Wolf's Rain - It's alright once you get past everyone shouting "Chesa!"
Gankutsuou - Better than everything above until the ending, which sucks all kinds of ass.
Cowboy Beebob - I didn't enjoy this, but the quality is hard to deny.

That's pretty much it. Most of the rest is made out of concentrated fail.

I'm also planning on starting the Fairy Tail anime. A friend from high school recommended it to me so I'll probably get into that tonight and maybe tomorrow as well. I have no idea what it's about but she said I'd enjoy it.

I watched the first two episodes and I found them interesting. It seems like they ripped a page out of an RPG and fleshed it out into an anime. You have a bunch of wizard guilds, people can buy the ability to use magic, and characters go on quests that are located on a bounty board. I'll probably continue the show whenever I can find some free time.

Anime series that I've watched [completed]; I think this is all of them.

Dragon Ball
Dragon Ball Z
Dragon Ball GT
Dr. Slump
Naruto
Naruto Shippuden
Bleach
Fairy Tail [current favorite]
Rave Master
Sailor Moon
Lucy Star
Death Note
Tenchi Muyo
Tenchi Muyo GXP
Tenchi Universe
Tenchi in Tokyo
Magical Girl Pretty Sammy
Magical Project S
Ranma 1/2
Inuyasha
Freezing
Chrono Crusade
Familiar of Zero
School Days
Kiddy Grade
Kiddy-Girl AND
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Ghost in the Shell
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha
Magical Girl Nanoha A's
Magical Girl Nanoha StrikerS
Gakuen Alice
Nagasarete Airantou
The Sacred Blacksmith
Pokemon
Digimon Adventure 1
Digimon Adventure 2
Digimon Tamers
Digimon Xtro Wars

The last one I've seen is Gurren Lagann, which I still haven't finished. And regret not doing so. It was fun. I'm stronger with western animation though. Downloaded Avengers: EMH, Batman: TAS, Legend Of Korra and Young Justice and have Teen Titans, The Batman, Batman Beyond in process.

Digimon (Except Xros Wars and Hunters which I'm downloading)
Sailor Moon
DB,Z,GT
Gundam Wing
Yu Yu Hakusho
Gantz
Samurai X
Mythical Sleuth Loki
Vandread
Hellsing
Fullmetal Alchemist
S-cry-ed
Big O
Naruto
Shippuden until the Turtle Island arc
Megaman.exe
Shinzo
Medabots
Shaman King
Sonic X
Burst Angel
and quite a lot that escape me. DirecTV dropped Animax/Locomotion and doesn't offer Nicktoons network. I fucking hate DirecTV.

Downloaded the Crunchyroll app on my PS3, so I hope this help me start getting into anime more.

I tried watching Naruto. Way too much talking & flashbacks for me.

The last one I've seen is Gurren Lagann, which I still haven't finished. And regret not doing so. It was fun. I'm stronger with western animation though. Downloaded Avengers: EMH, Batman: TAS, Legend Of Korra and Young Justice and have Teen Titans, The Batman, Batman Beyond in process.

Digimon (Except Xros Wars and Hunters which I'm downloading)
Sailor Moon
DB,Z,GT
Gundam Wing
Yu Yu Hakusho
Gantz
Samurai X
Mythical Sleuth Loki
Vandread
Hellsing
Fullmetal Alchemist
S-cry-ed
Big O
Naruto
Shippuden until the Turtle Island arc
Megaman.exe
Shinzo
Medabots
Shaman King
Sonic X
Burst Angel
and quite a lot that escape me. DirecTV dropped Animax/Locomotion and doesn't offer Nicktoons network. I fucking hate DirecTV.

Vandread is on my list, that'll probably be the next one that I watch. Xtro Wars was great, not as good as Tamers, but I actually enjoyed it more than the first. IMO the concept of evolution in Xtro Wars is probably what Digimon should have been from the beginning.

I should really watch Yu Yu Hakusho. That series is basically married to Sailor Moon.

Vandread is on my list, that'll probably be the next one that I watch. Xtro Wars was great, not as good as Tamers, but I actually enjoyed it more than the first. IMO the concept of evolution in Xtro Wars is probably what Digimon should have been from the beginning.

I should really watch Yu Yu Hakusho. That series is basically married to Sailor Moon.

I've read up on the Digi-Xros stuff. It sounds odd, but I won't dismiss it yet. The formula for this show sounds is highly different to all the previous ones from what I understand so it's really biting my curiosity. Vandread's pretty fun. A little weird with the plot, but fun.

I've read up on the Digi-Xros stuff. It sounds odd, but I won't dismiss it yet. The formula for this show sounds is highly different to all the previous ones from what I understand so it's really biting my curiosity. Vandread's pretty fun. A little weird with the plot, but fun.

It is much different from the others, so watch it with an open mind. I will however show you my favorite scene if you want to see it.

[youtube]2Ine6AtAfhc[/youtube]

I'm a really big fan of the manga Hunter x Hunter, at least up until the first major "arc" ends (when the get off Greed Island). I hear it gets better, but I stopped reading it after that point. It's a Shonen, and done by Yoshihiro Togashi, so I'm always really surprised that nobody has heard of it...

I just picked up Trinity Blood 1-3 today. I've never read/watched it, but I've heard good things and I found all three at Powell's for like $6 so I figured...why the hell not? I'm a little confused on how there's so few episodes, and so many volumes, but since the anime came FIRST (for a change) that probably has something to do with it.

In general I'm a bigger fan of anime than manga, but only because it's easier to obtain, cheaper (because I torrent things) and easier to watch while I'm doing other things. Although I also read comics, so it's not like I'm stuck on not reading manga... I've seen all of Naruto/Shippuden, and I'm still watching it only because at this point I've invested so much time. FMA is probably my favorite anime, and I'm excited to watch Brotherhood when I get some free time in my viewing schedule. I'm not really a fan of Trigun, but I'll admit it's worth watching for the last few episodes; not the best selling point, I know.

In general I prefer comics over manga, but that's because I enjoy the American style of storytelling over the Japanese form.

POKEPOKEPOKEPOKEMONMON

Right now I'm watching Denno Coil on a recommendation from a friend. Damn interesting. Wouldn't put it on my tops list yet but it's a really good watch so far.

I highly recommend Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Baccano!, and Nichijou. Easily my four favorite series'.

Seriously, everyone needs to watch Baccano!. It has the best dub ever, even better than Cowboy Bebop, and the story and the way it's told is just crazy. It's about immortal mafia members in the 1930s, and most of the series takes place on a train. That's all I'll say about that, its on Netflix and Youtube so check it out.

Fairy Tail is my current fave. It is a very trollish anime so don't expect great storytelling all the time. One good thing about Fairy Tail is the fights are never dragged out unlike other animes.

Another trollish series is Beelzebub about a delinquent forced to raise a demon lord baby. The initial episodes were funny until they had to do fillers because the anime adaptation came too early during the manga's run. Now the anime is dead as the filler ending did not follow the source's storyline.

Well currently I'm watching Deadman Wonderland. Not too far into it but I'm finding it pretty enjoyable. Here's a list of my favourite amines anyway:

Higurashi When They Cry(how has nobody said this yet?)
Clannad(Full of fun and feels)
Cowboy Bebop(Pure awesome)

Fullmetal Alchemist the manga is excellent and the anime (Brotherhood) is a quality adaption, the other is bizarre and kinda poor). Death Note is immense, Dragon Ball Z is overblown goodness, Bleach is hit/miss but pretty good, and Trigun is superb if not a bit difficult to grasp when some of the twists go down.

Fairy Tail is my current fave. It is a very trollish anime so don't expect great storytelling all the time. One good thing about Fairy Tail is the fights are never dragged out unlike other animes.

Another trollish series is Beelzebub about a delinquent forced to raise a demon lord baby. The initial episodes were funny until they had to do fillers because the anime adaptation came too early during the manga's run. Now the anime is dead as the filler ending did not follow the source's storyline.

Fairy Tail is a series which is heavily driven by character development instead of
overall plot. It only seems trollish because the series is most likely the first of it's kind most of it's fans have watched.

Fairy Tail is a series which is heavily driven by character development instead of
overall plot. It only seems trollish because the series is most likely the first of it's kind most of it's fans have watched.

Don't get me wrong, I like the series and the characters and it is the trollish nature of the series which drew me in in the first place. It is trollish because there are many recurring gags and left field development in certain plot/fight development. Most are funny and appeals to me but some might not like it. Ignoring the trollish parts, the characters and the portrayal of the theme of friendship are actually pretty good compared to many other animes of the same type. And did I mention before, most fights are swift, no 2 episodes of flashbacks just to see the conclusion of a fight.

Been watching more of DBZ Abridged recently.

Some funny stuff such as anything that features Vegeta or Nappa and the use of "Real American" when Goku lands on Namek and SCSA's broken glass when Piccolo appears in Lord Slug

Fairy Tail evokes emotion from the reader/viewer regardless if it makes them laugh, cry, or makes them angry. And the characters are designed so expertly, it's hard to deny any of them their spot. Prime example is Mirajane; most fans would have labeled her completely useless and a burden until about halfway through the series, where she becomes most fans [including me] favorite character in the series or instant top three.

Барбоса;4052975 said:
Been watching more of DBZ Abridged recently.

Some funny stuff such as anything that features Vegeta or Nappa and the use of "Real American" when Goku lands on Namek and SCSA's broken glass when Piccolo appears in Lord Slug

One assumes you've been through the entire Namekmania episode with Reecome fighting everyone, and Burter & Jeice on commentary?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back