April/May 1998: Did Bret Hart and The Giant ever have a match with each other in WCW?

TEIWCSCSAATBHPHASP

Pre-Show Stalwart
One night after the Spring Stampede 1998 PPV, Bret "The Hitman" Hart interfered in the main event match between Randy Savage and Hollywood Hogan that was defined as the blowoff to the Original nWo chapter of the New World Order era from July 1996 to April 1998. During the match, Roddy Piper was the special guest referee who made the Savage/Hogan match a No DQ match. While it assured Savage a potential victory and possibly maybe to retain his WCW World Heavyweight Championship Belt against Hogan, the No DQ rules also allowed Hollywood Hogan and The Disciple (now a bearded Brutus Beefcake) to do whatever assault beatdowns they wanted to Savage.

And when the Savage/Hogan match got increasingly volatile when Hogan and Beefcake had their way with Savage, Kevin Nash came to the rescue of Savage. Many fans in the audience and their mothers and grandmothers expected Bret Hart to come out and help Nash and Savage put Hogan and Beefcake back in their place. But then, what happened? Bret clocked Nash in the head with the WCW World Heavyweight Championship Belt, and helped Hogan bring back the WCW WHC Belt back to the nWo.

At the time of Bret's April 1998 heel turn, The Giant was still a face who was in the middle of a one-on-one feud with Kevin Nash for most of '97-'98 when the feud originated from Nash constantly ducking away from The Giant until Souled Out 1998 when Nash dropped him on his neck, and nearly ended his career. But then WCW bookers portrayed Giant (post-Souled Out '98) as someone who disobeyed doctor's orders and came back from his broken neck too soon. Giant's neck injury was the kayfabe reason why J.J. Dillon banned all variations of the powerbomb move. Anyone else attempting the powerbomb was fined, but for Nash in particular, not only did Nash have to pay the fines but J.J. Dillon put Nash under the microscope of Doug Dillinger and security should he dare to do another Jackknife Powerbomb. Giant himself got cuffed in chains for his own powerbomb.

While Giant was recovering from his broken neck, Randy Savage was on the outs with the Original nWo while Scott Steiner was recently inducted into the nWo as insurance should Savage become a kayfabe liability to them and dare to challenge Hogan over who should be the nWo leader. There were moments when Sting, Giant and Savage had a unique three-man unit composed of two Team WCW stalwarts and an estranged soon-to-be-ex nWo member.

Since Bret turned heel the night after Spring Stampede '98, Giant didn't turn heel until the following month in May 1998, shortly before he was due to team up with Sting to contend for the WCW Tag Team Championship Belts with nWo Wolfpac members Kevin Nash and Scott Hall. While the Wolfpac were initially tweeners, and the ad/hoc team of Sting and The Giant were faces as Team WCW stalwarts; Giant became the obvious true heel of the four, as he jumped ship to the nWo Hollywood camp in a weird twist because the tag match was signed before Giant's heel turn. So Giant quickly reunited with Bret Hart as a semi-ally in nWo Hollywood.

Somewhere between Bret's heel turn in April 1998 and Giant's heel turn in May 1998, I wonder if The Giant (still a WCW face) ever interacted with the recently-turned heel Bret Hart at any point between April-May '98 on opposing sides. Bret was now helping Hogan and his cronies out, and Giant was still defending the honor and tradition of Team WCW when Bret betrayed Nash and Savage to officially be a heel. Giant betrayed Nash by allying with Hogan, Brian Adams and Vincent.

If a match between a babyface Giant and a heel Bret Hart were to suffice, can you imagine a Bret Hart promo getting whiny about The Giant being just another one of the many names interfering in Bret's whiny monologue of how he's been screwed? I need a potential script for a face Giant and heel Bret promo segment.

I vaguely recall Bret/Sting V Scott Hall and Giant on Nitro around that time. I cannot recall much else. Sorry.

That Bret/Sting v. Scott Hall/Giant tag match on Nitro doesn't count, as Bret was clearly playing a trickery heel pretending to be a face alongside Sting.

I don't recall Giant and Bret Hart ever having match. Like you said, their face runs and heel turns were basically in-sync with each other. They also didn't have any issues. Nash was feuding with Giant and Bret came in and started feuding with Flair then Hogan then finally Sting. I don't even recall the tag match with Bret and Sting teaming up. I think you're thinking of Sting/Nash vs Hall/Giant.

@Makaveli31 And Bret Hart's PPV opponents since the WCW Monday Nitro episode after Spring Stampede for the remainder of 1998 were Randy Savage, Roddy Piper, Booker T, DDP, Ultimate Warrior, Kevin Nash, Lex Luger and Sting.

I think the 1998 World War 3 PPV had to be Bret Hart's last PPV match for 1998 and wouldn't even be seen on PPV ever again until almost a year later at Halloween Havoc '99 as a face. Because Bret Hart was in and out of WCW for pretty much his whole career, in terms of weekly appearances compared to his time in the WWF. Bret was in and out for 1998 due to a combination of surgery to address his nagging sports hernia injury, and to take time off doing movie work for the A&E documentary called Wrestling With Shadows, detailing his final year in the WWF and preceding his pre-1997 work and the Montreal Screwjob.

And in 1999, Bret did return as a heel as his nWo Hollywood association was dropped and was now more of a full-time WCW heel who was looking to feud with Ric Flair and Bill Goldberg, before the steel plate segment with Goldberg in early 1999 and declaring "I quit" was a way to write Bret off to help him continue his healing from a nagging groin injury for four months. And he was supposed to return to have a PPV match with Kevin Nash because Nash was issuing a challenge to Bret and that involved kayfabe putting money up as the prize. And Nash was under the Vince Russo effect for all of 1999 as he started the year as an nWo Wolfpac face, turned heel via Fingerpoke of Doom, became an nWo Wolfpac Elite face because of the Hogan/Flair double turn at Uncensored '99 and became a heel when he betrayed Hogan in favor of Sid Vicious and Rick Steiner as his main allies until nWo 2000, so I don't know if Nash was gonna be a face or a heel if Bret hadn't taken time off.

But before Bret was to do battle with Nash, over at the WWF, Owen Hart died at the 1999 Over The Edge PPV at Kemper Arena on May 1999. Bischoff even granted Bret the free accomodation to go to Owen's funeral in Calgary, Alberta, Canada where both the World Wrestling Federation and the World Championship Wrestling companies went out and paid their respects to Owen Hart. Only Bischoff and Hogan were the only non-Hart family members of WCW attending Owen's funeral.

Honestly I couldn't even debate you about Bret's time in WCW as he was heeled then babied (as in made babyface) and made feel so often it would make your head spin. He had no meaningful or memorable feuds and the only thing I really remember about his time in WCW was his first appearance at Starrcade '97 and his last at Starrcade '99 when Goldberg ended his career.

Unfortunately bad booking, injuries, and tragedy cut his WCW career short. They dropped the ball in 1998, when they were about to 'give him the ball" in '99 in a feud with Nash Owen died, then his career basically ended that year.

@Makaveli31

If Bret Hart (as a heel) cut a promo on The Giant, Bret would've gone on his usual I Got Screwed monologue that he maintained since 1997, and he would've seen The Giant (still a Team WCW babyface) as just another one of the people Bret liked to blame.

And it's a surprise Bret Hart never even took a chokeslam from The Giant at all.

True. I would've also liked to see Bret try to put the Sharpshooter on the Giant. That would've been a sigh to see.

It's a shame that this match never took place and it was another missed opportunity for WCW. Bret was able to carry a lot of the big men he got to work with to good matches in his wwe run like Deisel, Sid, Yokuzuna, Isaac Yankem and Bam Bam Bagelow. Giant was also more capable of working as he was younger probably 100 lbs lighter and in his prime. I remember both feuded with DDP around the same time and were aligned as part of nWo Hollywood. It's too bad Bret's career was cut short and we didn't get to see more dream matches.

Bret was truly one of the greats and no doubt top 5 of all time. Like you said, he was able to get great matches out of guys who normally couldn't wrestle out of paper bags i.e. Sid and Diesel. I wouldn't put Yoko or Bam Bam in that category but he had great matches with them also. Bret was a throwback. His style was stiff and realistic yet he never hurt anyone. Nowadays it's one or the other it looks either choreographed or it hurts someone i.e. Rollins or Lesnar.

Bret was one of those guys who proabably could have wrestled 10 more years if he didn't get hurt. He had no major injuries (except for the concussion) didn't abuse his body with drugs, alcohol, steroids, or pills and was safe in the ring. I would have loved to see him come back to WWE similar to the Way Shawn Michaels did in 2002.

One thing I don't get though it's pretty accepted that Bret (and everyone else) blames Goldberg for the kick but if you watch the match it was actually Bret who didn't get his hands up in time to block the kick. Goldberg just bascialy stuck his foot out and Bret ran head first into it. I do think the events AFTER the kick are what the eventual stoke. He continued to wrestle and take bumps even after the concussion so I don't know how he can blame Goldberg for "ending his career".

MrFuji_BretHart_Yokozuna_inarticle_Large.jpg

I imagine Yoko would have been harder to apply it on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back