Are there any fantasy dream matches with Bret Hart you wish you could see?

quink987

Pre-Show Stalwart
Ive just been watching some of bret harts promos from 1997 and let me say i think its was the best year ofbrets career but s their any dream matches with bret hart vs someone from the current roster?

for me I would love to see the bret hart of 1997 against he chris jericho of 2012 because the romos and restlng would be epic and they could build it as who is the best canadaian wrester what d you think?

Generally, the dream matches involving Bret are against great technical wrestlers of the eras that have followed him. Bret vs. Angle is a big one, and I suppose Bret vs. Kurt's modern WWE equivalent, Bryan would be welcomed nearly as much.

I'd love to have seen a healthy Bret vs. Cena; Cena may get dumped on by various members of the IWC, but only idiots deny he's capable of great matches. And Bret vs. Punk goes without saying.

And honestly, anytime Bret stepped into the ring with HBK was magic. A healthy Bret vs. Sean in the last couple of years of his career, especially if a long period of time had passed after the Montreal screw jobs. Sean aged really well in the ring, and many of his last matches are among his best. Who wouldn't have wanted to have seen Bret vs. a 2009 HBK, provided Bret could still go?

For me it would be
Bret Hart ala 1996 vs Hulk Hogan ala 1986

Just two of the biggest WWF babyfaces, and icons of their respective eras.

Oh and Hart/Angle is a great suggestion!

If it wasn't for that big stupid oaf William Goldberg, we could easily see Bret vs Shawn one more time at next years Wrestlemania. As always, that would've been a great match.

Instead of going for the obvious Bret vs. Bryan, Bret vs. Jericho, Bret vs. Cena & Bret vs. Punk dream matches, I'm gonna pick out a couple of names on the current roster who are the last wrestlers that people would consider a dream match for Bret.

The Rock
Okay maybe people would consider him a dream match for Bret, I remember PWI did back in 98. The two have some friendly history with each other from their early days in the WWF, and The Rock did take the Sharpshooter from Bret.

Triple H
If there's anyone else that Bret loathed just as much as Shawn, it was HHH, who was also in on the Montreal Screwjob. Actually I don't think they have gotten past their hatred for each other. I think I remember reading some negative comments that Bret made about HHH not long ago, so I guess not. I've never heard of them making up or having any friendly backstage interaction ever since Bret returned to the WWE.

Brock Lesnar/Jack Swagger
Some of Bret's best work come from working with big guys and Lesnar or Swagger would be no exception, especially as both of those big guys can go technical and they use submissions.

Kane
Again, Bret could carry any big man & pull a great match out of them. I always wondered what a match between these two would've been like in 97 or 98 if Bret hadn't gone to WCW. I bet this would've ended up as a main event for the WWF Championship on an In Your House PPV back in the day. And before anyone says anything, yes I know he faced him at Summerslam 95 when he was Isaac Yankem DDS.

Daniel Bryan and Kurt Angle.

Why D-Bry? Great submission artist and technical wrestler, knows almost every trick in the book...same as Bret. Great at reversals and great performer.

Why Kurt? Same as Bryan Danielson. This is why Both of these guys should face Hart (not possible anymore) and among themselves.

Bret vs Zigler
Over the years Bret had some great matches with Shawn Micheals and in my opinion Zigler is the closest you will get to a new Shawn Micheals. Zigler always looks very confident in the ring just like shawn and very rarely has a bad match. If Bret was just starting I truely believe that in ten to twenty years from now, we would be sat here saying that Brets greatest rival was Dolph Zigler.

I would have love to see Bret vs CM Punk, a couple of weeks ago when Bret was giving a promo and CM Punk interrupted him, that was great, and it looked like they had some chemistry, and both of them would have brought the best out of each other, and i also like the idea of Bret vs Dolph Ziggler, because Ziggler can go with just about anyone in the ring, and i also would have like to see Bret vs Wade Barret, two diferent styles, but it would have been a great match, and i also like the idea of him vs Swagger, two great technitians in the ring always make a great match.......

This is an easy one. If you cant have a good match with Bret, you may want to look into another profession. Anyone on the current roster would benifit from having a match with Bret.

The big one for me is Bret Hart vs Kurt Angle. Technical match of a lifetime.

I think Bret/Punk would have killed too. A whole feud would be enjoyable.

Bret always did well with big men (Taker/Nash) so Id like to see what kind of match he'd have with Lesnar.

Others include: Bryan, Jericho, and Ziggler. Again, you cant really miss with a Bret Hart match

Kane
Again, Bret could carry any big man & pull a great match out of them. I always wondered what a match between these two would've been like in 97 or 98 if Bret hadn't gone to WCW. I bet this would've ended up as a main event for the WWF Championship on an In Your House PPV back in the day. And before anyone says anything, yes I know he faced him at Summerslam 95 when he was Isaac Yankem DDS

LOL, half way through reading this I was thinking of my smart ass comment to point out the summerslma match. But yes, I dont know how I mised this. Kane is very underrated IMO and a match with Bret would be amazing. I always liked the Bret/Taker stuff and think Bret/Kane might have even topped that.

Present Roster: CM Punk / Daniel Bryan / Taker / Kane / Dolph Ziggler / Tyson kidd (A cocky heel Kidd challenges Hart for the bragging rights of being the greatest wrestler who ever trained in the Dungeon!) / Christian (they would have had great chemistry against each other)
Past Roster: Kurt Angle / Shawn Michaels (One more match!!!) / Chris Jericho / Edge / The Rock / Stone Cold Steve Austin (reigniting the amazing feud!) / Benoit (we had just a taste of what these two could have accomplished together in the ring back in WCW) / Eddie Guerrero

id have to say kurt angle vs bret hart. no question. imagine how awesome a match between those two would be, think angle vs benoit only better, i wouldve also liked to see bret vs hogan at summerslam 1993, but we all know how that turned out...

I would've loved to see another Hart vs. Mr.Perfect match!!

the match they had at summerslam91 was amazing!!,

Imagine if Bret and Kurt had another classic at WM8.......would've stole the show!!!

I've said it time and again and I have no problem saying it again.....

Bret vs. Kurt Angle would the best match imaginable. I can't think of anything that tears me up more than the fact I'll never get to see that match take place. It would be a dream come true for me. Two of the greatest technical performers of all time locking up in the ring would be incredible.

Since Bret's run in WCW, his injury and his stroke, there have been a number of stars who have come and gone who I think could give the fans a decent exhibition.

Shelton Benjamin, Charlie Haas, Chris Jericho, Matt Morgan, Batista, CM Punk,
Daniel Bryan, Randy Orton, Edge, Christian, the Rock (they faced already but it was a short match), Bobby Lashley, AJ Styles, Jay Lethal, Tazz, Robert Roode, Ziggler to name a few.

I think it's sad that it will never happen, but I think if Bret were able to work the performers I listed, he could possibly give them the match of their career and/or help the younger performers learn how to plan out greater matches in the future. I'm not saying the younger guys on the list don't have great matches now, I'm just saying that working with Bret, they'd learn a great deal.

I would have like to see him face Rey Mysterio. Something about these two just makes me think they could put on a classic with each other. Bret had great matches with smaller speedy wrestlers like Shawn Michaels and a decent one with 1-2-3 Kid if I remember right and Rey has always done well with wrestlers like Hart, who emphasize executing the basics well over flashiness.

I just think their styles would mesh well and given 15-20 minutes they could steal a show easily.

I agree, Bret was in his prime in 1997 in terms of mic work. He really started to come into his own and becoming more comfortable in 1997.

I would have liked to have seen:
Bret Hart go over Hulk Hogan in 1992 (Hulk actually passing the torch seems unlikely)
Bret Hart go over Shawn Michaels in early 1997 (If this happened, likely Screwjob never happens)
Bret Hart vs Kurt Angle
Bret Hart vs CM Punk
Bret Hart vs The Rock

Bret vs Taz in 97.
Bret vs RVD would have been amazing.
Bret vs Sabu in 94 would have been an interesting fued.
Hart Foundation(Bret, Owen, Bulldog, Anvil) vs Dudley Boyz(Buh Buh, D-Von, Big Dick, Joel Gertner, Sign Guy)
Bret vs Jerry Lynn oh my god!
Bret vs Yoshihiro Tajiri
Bret vs Sandman falls count anywhere/I Quit
Bret vs Lance Storm
Bret vs Chris Candido

As for current WWE guys, CM Punk no doubt. Loved that little exchange of theirs where Punk oversold the punch.

I'd say based on sheer dream match potential, the biggest match with Bret against another opponent would've been Bret vs. Angle. That match would've been technician vs. technician[similar to Bret's encounters with Benoit]. I'd also have liked to seen what Bret could've done with Brock Lesnar during his 2002-2003 run through all the legend types. Of course, there's the newer dream matches like Bret vs. CM Punk or Bret vs. Daniel Bryan that would have been phenominal to see.

I've also thought as far as in-ring potential, a Bret Hart vs. RVD match would have been endless possibility. With Van Dam's unlimited ability to do anything in-ring and Bret's ability to change his finishes, their matches would've been excellent. In the right set of circumstances, I'd have like to seen a Bret Hart/Jeff Jarrett match around 1998 or 1999[back before Jarrett jumped to WCW]. Those matches could been huge as far as the styles of the two clashing to make great matches. I'd have also liked to see any combinations of 2005 JBL vs. Bret Hart or Eddie Guerrero 2004 vs. Bret Hart. The match potentials in WWE for Bret after Montreal 97 would have been endless right up until current 2012 version. It's just a shame that we'll never see a big match to end Bret's career, although the Wrestlemania match with Mr. McMahon is probably the closest Bret will ever get to closure from what happened in Montreal. I'm just glad that Bret gets to return once and awhile and has found a way to cement his legacy so that fans not as fortunate as I to witness how great The Hitman truly was.

One that EVERYONE looked over is Rick Steamboat if Steamboat left WCW in early 94'(before the Austin injury) this could have been easily a series for the ages which could have given Steamboat at least 1 WWF title run. Too bad the Vince misused Steamboat after his I-C victory in 87'.

If I could pick three it would be

Bret vs Chris Jericho: No plays cocky heel better than Jericho plays cocky heel. He could get at Bret in promos before the match about how he has surpassed the Hitman in the ring and in the eyes of Canadians and the two of them would have just torn the house down.

Bret vs Samoa Joe: Best thing about Bret is that he wasn't afraid to highlight the strengths of other wrestlers (surprising how some really don't seem to like making others look great), so I have no doubt he wouldn't have a problem showing Joe's technical abilities and strength in a match.

Bret vs Daniel Bryan: Could have been the greatest technical match up ever had they got it on

Bret vs Kurt Angle has always been a dream match of mine. I can't even imagine how great that match would have been. Current roster i would have to say Punk and Daniel Bryan. Daniel bryan for the same reason as Angle. With Punk the promos would be extraordinary, and they would back it up well in the ring to. Another one that someone mentioned was Bret vs Rey. Would be great to compare that match to bret's match with the 1 2 3 Kid.

Bret was a great wrestler. One of the best of all time. Bret can have a great match with just anyone. I would of like to see a lot of Bret dream matches. I would love to see Bret take on Randy Savage in his prime ('86-'89 Savage.) Bret vs Punk would be a thriller, they would put on a great match. Bret vs Daniel Bryan would be an instant classic between two mat technician's.

Edge- The match itself would of been great. Edge as a heel and Bret as face. Bret along the lines of your not representing Canada well, ect. I think Edge would sell the story well too.

HBK- a Wrestlemania rematch would of been great. Would of been Epic

Rock- I think would of been as good as if we saw Rock vs HBK. The match itself would be pretty good. The Great 1 vs The Best.....

Y2J- another great technical match. Storyline, maybe along the same lines as the dge storyline.

Swagger- Swagger is a big guy and can already wrestle.

I do agree with:
D. Bryan
Ziggler
Kane

I know it's Goldberg's fault that Bret had to retire (he delivered the mule kick that gave Bret his career-ending concussion), but I would have loved to see a real feud between the two of them. It looked like Russo was gonna start a Bret/Goldberg feud at the time of Bret's (previously mentioned) concussion, but I wish we could have seen a "real" feud between the two during Goldberg's first World Title reign.

I think it was 1998 (when Goldberg was enjoying his first World Title reign) when Bret did the now infamous "Fist Full of Dollars" trick to fool Goldberg. Bret said some things in the ring to piss Goldberg off, Goldberg came out and speared Bret - but both men laid on the mat for a good 20 seconds before Bret finally rose and pinned Goldberg. He counted the 1-2-3 himself, and the fans went nuts (I think this happened in Canada). After Bret stood up, he removed his shirt to show he was wearing some sort of metallic armor on his chest (under his shirt). Goldberg had hit his head on this thick piece of metal (kayfabe), and knocked himself out. Very clever, Bret...and that should have been the start of an epic feud between Bret & Goldberg for the WHC.

I don't know why the feud never happened, I'm guessing that it had more to do with backstage politicking (*cough*KevinNash or Hogan*cough*) than the two wrestlers not agreeing on the outcome of the feud, but it could have easily been either.

I've said this many times before, but I think that Goldberg should have tapped out for his first loss (to end his lengthy winning streak, and to end his first run with the WCW WHC). I've always said that I would have loved to see either Sting or Bret Hart end the streak, by seeing Goldberg tap to either the Sharpshooter or Scorpion Death Lock. I think Goldberg losing the belt cleanly to Bret would have been a lot better than the taser crap they pulled at Starrcade '98, but then again - nothing could have been much worse. A feud between Goldberg & Bret back in 1998 would have been amazing, and could have sold PPVs on the name recognition alone...not that people wouldn't have been invested in the feud anyway, because of what Bret did with the metallic armor. Too bad, it would have been amazing.

that was 99 when bret did that in toronto and i agree it was awesome and couldve been the start to a great great feud between the two, as far as goldbergs streak i think scott steiner shouldve been the one to end it

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back