Atlanta Region, Fifth Round: (1) Steve Austin vs. (3) Edge

Who Wins This Match

• Steve Austin

• Edge

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
The following contest is a fifth round match in the Wrestlezone Tournament.

This match takes place in the Georgia Dome in Atlanta, Georgia.

georgia_dome.jpg

#1 Steve Austin

StoneColdSteveAustinCartoon.jpg

Vs.

#3 Edge

Edge-TlC-2010-edge-17906800-316-390.jpg

This contest is one fall with a 60 minute time limit. The match will take place in a 16 x 16 ring with no ramp leading to it. Any traditional managers for either competitor will be allowed at ringside.

As for voting, vote for who you think would win this match based on the criteria you choose. Some suggestions would be (not limited to): in ring ability, overall skill, their level of influence at the highest point in their career, ability to connect with the crowd, experience in major matches or simply personal preference etc.

The most votes in the voting period wins and in the case of a tie, the most written votes wins. There is one written vote per user, meaning if a poster make ten posts saying Bret should win that will count as a single vote. In the event of a second tie, both men are ELIMINATED, no questions asked. Only winners advance.

The final three rounds are a one night tournament. Any damage sustained in these matches carries over to the next round.

Voting will open in 48 hours and will be open for five days and all posts must be non-spam. You may use the 48 hours to present your cases as to why either competitor should/should not win.​

It amazes me how Edge keeps advancing in this tournament considering how mediocre of a worker he is. Just because he's been in a couple of spotfest matches, so many in the IWC seem to think he's great. He's not. He's mediocre in the ring.

This has to go to Steve Austin. Not only is he the second biggest draw in wrestling history, he's also far better in the ring and has twice the charisma Edge does. I can't think of a single thing Edge can do better than Austin.

Anyone voting for Edge here is either an idiot or a troll. Austin is just clearly better.

I gotta agree with Slyfox on this one. It feels like Edge is the Sanjiyah of this tournament. People are just voting him through (even past the immortal Hulk Hogan) as some sick joke. It has to stop here. Nobody in their right mind can think Edge beats Austin in a match with no stipulation. Austin will win big here.

Stone Cold for sure. Edge is the ultimate oppurtunist not some amazing wrestler. Stone Cold wins this match with ease. Stone Cold clearly is better overall in the ring, has an amazing draw, and would be supported by the crowd,. What else would you want from a winner. I feel Edge is overated, and honestly voting for him would be down right stupid. This for sure must go to Stone Cold. In a normal match Edge has no chance, except to get a beer bath. Edge was lucky against Hogan, against Stone Cold, his luck runs out.

I'd like to see Edge get buried here. He is one overrated dude. Even when he was in E&C, I preffered Christian to Edge because he seemed the more funny one to me. He is, at best, a decent worker, both in the ring and on the microphone. For all the wins that he has in ladder matches, I would not even say that he is a great worker in those type of matches. HBK vs Ramon, Jericho vs Benoit and Rock vs HHH are just some of the matches that I would rate before any of Edge's 'classics'.

On the other side we have the incomparable Stone Cold Steve Austin. The second biggest draw of all time, a great in ring worker, one of the best mic workers of all time and all the jazz. There is no reason to vote for Edge here unless of course blind markdom. Edge, despite all his championship reigns, has not even scratched the surface of what Stone Cold has achieved.

An easy one for Stone Cold Steve Austin here. He wouldn't even break a sweat in defeating Edge. He might break one in the beer bash that follows, though.

Vote Austin!!!

Austin wins here. Austin lead probably the best era in wwe history, the attitude era, had more charisma, and was all around the better wrestler.

Also anyone who makes an argument on how Edge has more titles check this. Edge has 11 when there were always two titles around, Austin has 6 when there was only one. Austin has held the title for a combined 529 days, which is averaged out to 88.16 days a reign. Edge has held his titles(WWE/WHC) for a combined 542 days(and counting) which is an average of 49.27 days.

That proves that even though Edge has more reigns than Austin, Austin had it in a one title only era, and held that title for more days on average.

Overall, i'm going with Austin in a mid length match, defiantly won't be near a squash.

Winner: Austin in 16 minutes via Stunner.

It amazes me how Edge keeps advancing in this tournament considering how mediocre of a worker he is. Just because he's been in a couple of spotfest matches, so many in the IWC seem to think he's great. He's not. He's mediocre in the ring.

I have always felt Edge was nothing more than a poor mans HBK, I see alot of similarities in their styes, well other than HBK could put on a 5 star match with just about anyone and not need a gimmick match to do it

This has to go to Steve Austin. Not only is he the second biggest draw in wrestling history, he's also far better in the ring and has twice the charisma Edge does. I can't think of a single thing Edge can do better than Austin.

That's not true there is one thing Edge can do better than Austin, climb a ladder duh;)

I have been saying for years Edge is by far the most overrated wrestler on these forums if not in a wrestling to day, outside of gimmick matches the hasn't had any really memorable matches, and seeing as how this isn't a gimmick match Austin should take this easily, he's just plain better in every fucking way, and every self respecting wrestling fan here knows it

Stone Cold by a mile. Edge has gotten through this tourney on plain luck. Stone Cold defined an entire era of wrestling. Edge? He defined a gimmick match.

Vote Stone Cold, and stop the Edgeamania.

Well, Austin is the obvious choice here. I don't really need to argue that, do I? Here - here's my argument: Steve Austin is better than Edge. Fucking faultless. So, instead of breaking down their respective Wikipedia pages, I'm going to go on a rant about how much I hate Edge and then maybe round off with a few compliments about Austin toward the end.

OK, so I was like everyone else on the internet and actually liked Edge between 2006 and 2007. Looking back, I have no idea why. I was young, stupid and self-important enough to post on a wrestling forum as if what I had to say mattered, so why not?

But he is bad. Well, not bad. I mean, everything's relative, isn't it? He's not bad in comparison to, say, some deep south garbage wrestler. He is bad in comparison to, you know, actually good wrestlers.

The man is a chemistry vacuum. And I don't mean vacuum as in he sucks it in, I mean vacuum as in there's no fucking chemistry there. It was when I actually gained the means to watch Edge's matches (i.e. got a Sky Sports subscription) that I realised how much he actually sucked, because he's a serviceable promo man, for sure. His match against Undertaker in a Hell in a Cell match, so highly lauded? It fucking sucked. It was just Edge jumping about with/from random metal objects and then The Undertaker beat him and that was that. A fucking mess of a match. Their entire feud was pretty shitty like that.

I'm yet to actually watch an Edge match and think that he has good chemistry with his opponent. I mean, he even seems to be at odds with Christian when they're in the ring together. Christian. Anybody that thinks Edge/Christian will live up to the reputation Christian's built himself facing Del Rio has a serious crack problem.

And Austin's, erm, really, really good. So vote for him. That sounded better in my head.

It's a shame that people voted Edge past Hogan just because they couldn't picture a professional athlete like Hogan had the ability to climb an eight foor ladder. Austin vs. Hogan would have been really interesting here and probably would have caused a lot of debate. Austin vs. Edge is going to be a massacre. Edge has no chance against Austin. Austin was hotter than anybody ever was in this business except for Hogan and Edge would be just the kind of guy to taste a stunner in Austin's prime.

I want to say Edge's "Ultimate Opportunist" moniker could come into play here and he would bring every thing but the kitchen sink to throw at Austin eventually getting him the win. But I can't.

Every thing Edge could bring to Austin, Austin's been through worse and came out the winner more often than not. That's the only thing Edge has over Austin is the unpredictability factor but Austin's too smart and ruthless to let something like that take him down.

I love Edge and it's admirable that he's gotten this far, but in no way, shape or form could he beat Austin.

I'm voting for Edge. Simply put, Stone Cold was my favorite wrestler after Bret Hart and Rocky as a kid, but Edge has been my sole favorite wrestler since I was 14 and still is today. It could also be that I hate how everyone gets so butthurt about Edge advancing in this tournament every year. Obviously Edge has quite a bit more popularity than you think if he's able to get by Hogan by around 30 votes. If Austin goes over Edge, so be it. No shame in going out when you have gotten this far. But to every Edgehead out there, just know that if somehow Edge does go over Austin, the overwhelming outrage around this forum will be more than satisfactory.

I'm voting for Edge. Yes "Austin was one of the all-time greats, blah, blah...", "Austin drew, blah, blah, blah...", "Austin is a great worker, blah, blah, blah...". But give me Edge any day of the week.

There's just something about him which stands out to me. The way he talks, the way he moves in the ring, even the way he makes his entrance. It all appeals to me and always has done. More so than Austin. Austin was great in all of these respects, of course, but I feel that I can connect with Edge more.

I'm not a troll or an idiot. I'm just a guy with an opinion.

There is absolutely no fucking way I am voting for Edge here. He shouldn't have gone over Hogan and definitely should not be going over Stone Cold. Austin reached a level of super stardom that no other wrestler, including Edge, will ever reach or come close to.

Austin is just plain better at just about everything there is in wrestling except maybe a ladder match or something like that. But Austin is in luck because this is not Edge's playing field. It's not his specialty. This is a straight up 1 on 1 match and in a straight up 1 on 1 match an in his Stone Cold would whip Edge's ass up and down the arena with no remorse, with no mercy and then finish him off with his Stunner.

So please do the right thing here and put the right man over. Vote for Stone Cold.

Anyone voting for Edge here is either an idiot or a troll. Austin is just clearly better.

1.) While I'm positive Edge will lose here, I have to say I thought he'd lose to Hogan. Understand that while I believe he would have lost, and will lose here - that does not indicate that I believe he should.

2.) Out of everyone posting in this thread, saying Austin wins here, easily or otherwise, I have the biggest problem with you saying those who vote for Edge are doing so because they're trolls or idiots. Neither would be the case.

• Edge has been in the Main Event longer than Steve Austin.
  • While Austin's career "in his prime" didn't last long, the fact remains it took him a hell of a lot longer to finally hit that prime, than it did Edge.
  • Just because Steve Austin was the "face" of the Company, does not mean he didn't have his fair share of losses to guys a lot worse, and far less talented than Edge.

Those are just 3 reasons why Edge should stand more than enough of a chance here, than he ever could've against a guy like Hogan. Regardless of how the outcome of his last match turned out, anyone coming in here saying "He should've lost then, so he deserves to lose now" is more of a so-called "idiot/troll" than someone voting because they are actually proving how with proof of evidence.

This is the second worst argument I see over and over for the big 3. (Hogan, Austin, Cena)

I don't care how much merch. they sell, or how popular they were and how recognizable they are to the industry. That DOES NOT mean they have never lost - and wouldn't lose. Infact, that is the end-all be-all to worst arguments ever in the history of this tournament. (even worse than the "Hogan can't climb ladders" one)

As for the "better in the ring" comment, I'm curious what exactly are you defining as being better at? If it's actual wrestling, then you're wrong and way off.

Edge has put on wrestling "clinics" with Kurt Angle, Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, Shawn Michaels and several others. He has stood toe-to-toe with them all, and wrestled move for move with them. Austin has wrestled each of the same guys, and didn't trade off wrestling moves, so much as fought with brawling against them all. Unless you're bringing up Austin's mid-card career in WCW when he actually did more than the punches, kicks and brawling styled moves in his "prime", then I fail to see how "Austin was better".

Finally, once again I'll agree that Austin drew bigger crowd reactions - but last time I checked, this wasn't a "Whoever gets the bigger reaction from the audience wins" match. And likewise, Austin has lost to several guys that drew just as much, or less, crowd reactions to what Edge has drawn.

So, all in all I don't know if you're voting for "primes" (I personally don't try to, but understand I draw comparisons to selective points in careers of everyone), or just personal favorites, but regardless of which.. saying people are trolling, or idiots, simply because they're voting for someone alternative to who you are - is probably the most naive thing a person can say. If people want to vote for Austin, while I don't agree with it - I won't call them names if they do.

My vote (as assumed) will be wholeheartedly toward Edge.

I would hardly call those matches wrestling clinics. Don't give Edge that much credit. Austin has gone move for move with Benoit and Angle as well. Edge is overrated as a main eventer and can only get heat unless there's a woman by his side.

I would hardly call those matches wrestling clinics. Don't give Edge that much credit.

I'm not saying Edge is the master of 1,004 holds or some other lame title. I'm merely saying, in reply to Sly on Austin being better at in-ring work, that Edge's moveset is deeper than Austin and Edge can do more than the simple brawling basics.

Austin has gone move for move with Benoit and Angle as well.

Just as you said to me, I'd return the favor and tell you to quit giving Austin that much credit. Returning a chain wrestling set with a rake to the eyes, followed up with a set of punches and kicks, then ending with a thesz press off the ropes is hardly "going move for move" with his opponents.

Austin has had, in his "Stone Cold" days, maybe maybe under 5 matches in which he's actually shown wrestling ability.

Survivor Series '96 v. Bret Hart (loss)
Unforgiven '01 v. Kurt Angle (loss)
King of the Ring '01 v. Chris Jericho & Chris Benoit (win; but the other two carried the entire match)

Now then, as far as the brawling style goes.. in the I Quit match against Bret Hart at Wrestlemania, a guy (Hart) who's not used to being in hardcore matches, nor does he exactly have the type of moveset to be a violent wrestler.. bested Steve Austin.

On the flip side, while Edge went up against a (past his prime) Mick Foley and was hurting throughout - he still won. Edge has also shown the ability to fight off the likes of (and win against) Batista and Shawn Michaels in Street Fight matches.

No, this is not an anything goes match. However, for anyone wanting to use the "Austin is tougher, Edge can't withstand his violence".. I call bullshit. Edge has withstood a lot worse than anything Austin has ever given out. And Edge has more moves in his set, that can be more punishing, than Bret Hart did in 1997.

Edge is overrated as a main eventer and can only get heat unless there's a woman by his side.

I could easily say Austin only got over because he used foul language and flipped people off. He attacked authority figures and got his loudest reactions. In the same understanding to Edge screwing Lita (or Vickie) to get over, that isn't Austin getting over - it's the actions he did, and to whom, which in turn anyone could've done, that got those reactions.

Austin almost single-handedly brought the then-WWF from losing the war against WCW to being the biggest company in the world. He was the biggest star in the biggest wrestling promotion the world has ever seen. Austin has main evented three WrestleManias and has had one of the best WrestleMania matches ever in one of the cards he didn't main event. He was the biggest star at the biggest time of the company.

Edge has never been more than the top man on the B-Show. Put him around other stars and he gets lost in the shuffle (RAW 2010). I'm surprised Edge got this far to be honest.

Austin in an easy win.

I'm going to be voting for Edge here, it seems as if people are very quick to write Edge off as not even being a slight threat to Steve Austin.

While Steve Austin may have sold more tshirts than Edge, doesn't mean he's a better wrestler, entertainer? Okay, you guys can have that one, but Edge does have a deeper move set than Austin. Austin has even said himself that he only knows about 5 moves, or something like that in his HoF speech. While I'm not saying Austin has only 5 moves, he's no where as good in terms of actual wrestling ability as Edge is.

Tshirt sales, ticket purchases should mean shit all. Just because John Cena sells more shirts than Bryan, does that mean Cena is a better wrestler, hell no, same thing applies here.

This is a wrestling tournament, not a promo tournament. If it was, Austin would go over, but it's a wrestling tournament and Edge should go over. Steve Austin is not invincible like people love to make it seem.

I'm not saying Edge is the master of 1,004 holds or some other lame title. I'm merely saying, in reply to Sly on Austin being better at in-ring work, that Edge's moveset is deeper than Austin and Edge can do more than the simple brawling basics.

Just as you said to me, I'd return the favor and tell you to quit giving Austin that much credit. Returning a chain wrestling set with a rake to the eyes, followed up with a set of punches and kicks, then ending with a thesz press off the ropes is hardly "going move for move" with his opponents.

This statement stinks of, A. being a huge mark for Edge (which we know is the case), or B. knowing absolutely nothing about Steve Austin. Seeing you aren't a noob to professional wrestling, and you're not an idiot, you obviously belong in group A.

Austin has a deep moveset, and is much more than a brawler. If you've watched any of his matches against Chris Jericho, Chris Benoit, RVD, Bret Hart, Kurt Angle, Shawn Michaels, Ricky Steamboat, and Owen Hart, you would know this is true. As LJL said, he's gone move for move with Benoit, Angle and Jericho later in his career, and you know it. You've seen a lot of these matches, so stop playing this card. He isn't Hulk Hogan, and you know it.

Austin has had, in his "Stone Cold" days, maybe maybe under 5 matches in which he's actually shown wrestling ability.

Survivor Series '96 v. Bret Hart (loss)
Unforgiven '01 v. Kurt Angle (loss)
King of the Ring '01 v. Chris Jericho & Chris Benoit (win; but the other two carried the entire match)

WrestleMania 13, vs. Bret Hart
Summerslam 1997, vs. Owen Hart
Summerslam 2001, vs. Kurt Angle
No Mercy 2001, vs. Kurt Angle and RVD
Vengeance 2001, vs. Kurt Angle
No Way Out, 2002 vs. Chris Jericho

He had additional matches (fitting the bill) between the summer of 1996 and WrestleMania 19, but I'd rather not break down every match over that time period. I could also add in dozens of matches prior to 1996, but we'll keep it in his prime. You're selling him short to get Edge over, and I get that, but that doesn't mean the bullshit you're spewing should be allowed to stand as fact.

Now then, as far as the brawling style goes.. in the I Quit match against Bret Hart at Wrestlemania, a guy (Hart) who's not used to being in hardcore matches, nor does he exactly have the type of moveset to be a violent wrestler.. bested Steve Austin.

Bret didn't have a violent-looking moveset?? Bret was one of the harder punchers of the early 90's, and didn't mind throwing headbutts around either. The Russian Legsweep, swinging neckbreaker, stomp to the gut, the backbreaker, inverted atomic drop, the DDT, the pilediver, and the ringpost Figure Four--all realistic moves which were used to inflict a massive amount of pain.

Bret was a technician, but he was also brutal and ruthless. Just because he didn't bash people over the skull with steel chairs every night doesn't mean he wasn't violent. He was one of the most violent, intense and aggressive wrestlers of the early-to-mid 90's. Bret was far more physical and dangerous than Edge.

On the flip side, while Edge went up against a (past his prime) Mick Foley and was hurting throughout - he still won.

Exactly, a past-his-prime Mick Foley. What was Foley's record, in his prime, against Austin?? Not good. Foley never pinned Austin, clean, in a one-on-one match. Edge beating Foley means nothing here.

Edge has also shown the ability to fight off the likes of (and win against) Batista and Shawn Michaels in Street Fight matches.

When did he beat Batista in a Street Fight?

As for HBK, it's not like he hasn't pinned Edge as many times as Edge has pinned him. Difference being -- HBK would win clean. Austin owned HBK, when both were in their prime.

Austin has beaten The Undertaker, HHH, The Rock, and Mick Foley in similar matches. Austin wins this round, no doubt.

No, this is not an anything goes match. However, for anyone wanting to use the "Austin is tougher, Edge can't withstand his violence".. I call bullshit. Edge has withstood a lot worse than anything Austin has ever given out.

17 consecutive chair shots put The Rock away at WrestleMania 17, and Austin dropped HHH, who was inside of a fucking car, to take care of him at the Survivor Series in 2000. Do you honestly think Edge has taken more punishment than that, and won? He hasn't. The match with Foley doesn't add up to either of the events I've provided.

And Edge has more moves in his set, that can be more punishing, than Bret Hart did in 1997.

No, he doesn't. He really doesn't.

17 consecutive chair shots put The Rock away at WrestleMania 17, and Austin dropped HHH, who was inside of a fucking car, to take care of him at the Survivor Series in 2000. Do you honestly think Edge has taken more punishment than that, and won? He hasn't. The match with Foley doesn't add up to either of the events I've provided.

I have to say something about this, 17 consecutive chair shots is insane, I'm not going to deny that Edge probably would not get up from that, but Steve Austin wouldn't be able to get up from that either if it happened to him. Nobody would be able to get up from that.

Has Steve Austin taken more punishment then that and won? No he hasn't either. Austin may have dished that toughness out, but Edge can certainly bring it just as much as Austin.

Edge is very good, one of the most well rounded wrestlers the WWE has had over the last decade, but even in his prime he is not one the level of Stone Cold Steve Austin. Austin in his final, broken down year is still better than Edge was in his prime and if we are saying both men are at their peak physical condition then there is absolutely no comparison.

Edge may be more spectacular in the ring, but he is facing probably the 2nd biggest name in the history of the business. Edge does not have the experience advantage over Austin in this type of match as he did over Hogan in the last round, and The Rattlesnake is just simply better than Edge in the ring.

More aggressive, better reaction from the crowd "remember the pop whenever Austin came out in the late 90s?!) and better in the ring, there is nothing Edge can do that is better than what Austin can do.

The most important point is this. Had Edge been around during the Attitude era (the most successful period in recent wrestling history) in his prime as a singles wrester, when Austin was on top....would he have been in the title picture? Not a chance

There were many worthy candidates to be champion when Austin held the belt, and he was still THE MAN. Edge has a higher number of title reigns than Stone Cold, but his level of competition has been alot lower. Edge could never be the face of the WWE, while Stone Cold is the most importatn wrestler of the last 20 years.

There is no logical reason as why anyone would have Edge going over Austin, other than a man-crush on him due to his ravishing tattoos....

Austin and to be frank, Edge doesn't have a chance. Edge really shouldn't have made it past Hogan in the last round, but he doesn't survive this round. Edge is someone who relies on dirty tactics to get his big wins, and he's been successful in doing so, but Austin has been thrown into these type of situations before and prevails more often than not. Austin beat guys like Mr. McMahon, the master of dirty tactics, all throughout the last years of the 90's, and would beat Edge, even at his peak. Austin is one of the greatest of all time, Edge isn't.

Haven't these guys battled each other in this tournament before? It seems that there is always an argument about who is better (out of the two of these guys) on the forums every time I blink my eye. But I digress...

Will has always done a tremendous job of finding the faultlines in Edges matches, thus giving great reasoning why he should go over in them. From ladder matches to TLC's to No Hold Barred, there is always a good reason for Edge to go over Austin.... except when it's a straight-up wrestling match. Sorry Will... there's no way Austin can get over here.

Like I said, I've really come to appreciate Edge and all of his accomplishments. You don't have to be a technical genius in order to win matches and both of these men are perfect examples of that. But as we find out in later rounds of this tournament every year, great wrestlers wind up losing to greater ones.

Overall, there is no one that can match the stock of Steve Austin. He's won every conceivable match that's ever been thrown at him (as did Edge). He's survived and overcome the greatest of obstacles against monsters and invincible-type characters (as did Edge). He's an absolute psychopath at times, which makes him very difficult to study or prepare for (as is Edge). But most importantly, his overall stardom in terms of contributions to the business, mic skills and popularity are unmatched (sorry Edge, you fall short here).

All the word forts in the world couldn't save Edge here. Austin WILL win.

Overall, there is no one that can match the stock of Steve Austin. He's won every conceivable match that's ever been thrown at him (as did Edge). He's survived and overcome the greatest of obstacles against monsters and invincible-type characters (as did Edge). He's an absolute psychopath at times, which makes him very difficult to study or prepare for (as is Edge). But most importantly, his overall stardom in terms of contributions to the business, mic skills and popularity are unmatched (sorry Edge, you fall short here) .

I never knew that someone's mic skills and popularity determined how good their in ring abilities were. Mic skills shouldn't even count towards anything. For all of the things you said Steve has done, "as did/is Edge", exactly, Edge could very well go over Austin as he's no slouch either.

Upsets are nothing new in pro wrestling and I feel that this should be an upset victory.

You just have to know that Edge could have some outside interferance run in for him and Stone Cold isn't immune to outside interferance. He is the 'Ultimate Opportunist' after all, he would find some way to trump Stone Cold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back