Atlanta Region, Fifth Round: (1) Steve Austin vs. (3) Edge

Who Wins This Match

• Steve Austin

• Edge

Results are only viewable after voting.
I never knew that someone's mic skills and popularity determined how good their in ring abilities were. Mic skills shouldn't even count towards anything. For all of the things you said Steve has done, "as did/is Edge", exactly, Edge could very well go over Austin as he's no slouch either.

You should know that we are advised at the beginning of this tournament every year to vote on our own personal criteria. Mine is to vote on the best overall superstar. That's why I include other aspects of their overall game. I don't always pit them against each other in matches, and that alone. However, if I did, Edge would still get his clock cleaned.

Upsets are nothing new in pro wrestling and I feel that this should be an upset victory.

In that case, next year, vote for Hornswoggle over Hulk Hogan. Hey, it can happen.

You just have to know that Edge could have some outside interferance run in for him and Stone Cold isn't immune to outside interferance. He is the 'Ultimate Opportunist' after all, he would find some way to trump Stone Cold.

That goes for both parties involved, so this argument should be null and void. Both of them have used managers/partners in their careers. But if I had to choose, I'd take Vince/Triple H/Brian Pillman/WCW/Alliance over Lita/Vickie Guerrero/Christian.

What I'm seeing mostly in this thread is people saying Austin should and will win easily because he was one of the poster boys for WWE ala Hogan and Cena. People wanted to vote Hogan over Edge for that reason, even in an environment that clearly suited Edge and want to do the same this round. I'm sorry but if we did that the only people to ever win would be those three, Hogan, Austin, and Cena. And of those three clearly Hogan has done the most for professional wrestling so we should just go on and award him the trophy every damn year. That's essentially what most of you are whining about and saying and you know it's true.

Now for me, I like to see some variety. Yes Edge has been to the Final Four before but he has yet to win one of these so I'm all for seeing something different than what most people would like to occur every year. Time to face facts, Edge blew out Hogan in the votes last round for good reason. I don't care what you say Hogan was not in his element. That is just not something that he did even in his prime. The ladder is what skyrocketed Edge to where he is today. It was an easy decision.

This time is harder. Like most everyone, I was a huge fan of the Attitude Era and Austin is one of my all-time favorites. But what I'm going to do is go outside the box. I'm actually open to the idea and enjoy seeing the underdog win. Let's allow the NCAA tournament to be an example. Anyone had VCU/Butler in their Final Four bracket? I didn't think so. Upsets happen in wrestling just as they do in any other sport. Hogan, Cena, and yes even Austin are not invincible. They can be beaten. Edge has beaten Cena more than possibly anyone so I see no reason why he couldn't beat Austin to with his back against the ropes so to speak. I encourage you to think about what would be more exciting ... the same thing every year, or perhaps someone rising up and going against that thought ... going against the odds and prevailing time and again. A true underdog. Sounds like a great ending to me.

Vote Edge

Pure and simple - Edge's prime is as a heel and winning by being an opportunist in two ways;

One: Cashing in MITB briefcases - not an option here, leaving...

Two: Outside interference and foreign objects.

Austin's prime was overcoming such things - firstly HBK with DX and then being the constant thorn in McMahon's side no matter who or how many superstars, stipulations or screw jobs were thrown at him. Who won these feuds? Bottom Line - Austin!

Given their wrestling histories, the Rated R Superstar with Lita or Hawkins & Ryder or Matt Hardy in his corner is going down to Stone Cold more often than he is going over. If these guys had come up against each other, prime Austin face versus prime Edge heel, I believe Austin would be the ultimate victor and he gets my vote here.

This statement stinks of, A. being a huge mark for Edge (which we know is the case), or B. knowing absolutely nothing about Steve Austin. Seeing you aren't a noob to professional wrestling, and you're not an idiot, you obviously belong in group A.

1.) Regardless of me being an Edge fan, it shouldn't make a difference. You're clearly an Austin fan, does that mean no one should listen to a word you're saying because you're acting biased toward the situation? No, obviously you want people to pay attention to you. Thus, being a fan one way or another makes no difference.

2.) Steve Austin was technical, long before most people gave a shit about him. Now, once again "I" do not care what Austin people want to try and sell here - but the majority only recall the guy who did the average brawling, with a press, and a stunner to cap off most matches. Anyone who says otherwise is trying to hide his true style as a Main Eventer.

Austin has a deep moveset, and is much more than a brawler. If you've watched any of his matches against Chris Jericho, Chris Benoit, RVD, Bret Hart, Kurt Angle, Shawn Michaels, Ricky Steamboat, and Owen Hart, you would know this is true. As LJL said, he's gone move for move with Benoit, Angle and Jericho later in his career, and you know it. You've seen a lot of these matches, so stop playing this card. He isn't Hulk Hogan, and you know it.

First, I have no idea what the Hogan reference has to do with this. Hogan actually wrestled, and never used brawling to win matches.

Second, the Steamboat reference can be thrown out unless you're using his Stunning Steve years - at which point, I can easily say "Edge is leap years better than Hacksaw - who beat Austin in 38 seconds". [/end discussion]

Now, in all the matches with Benoit, Jericho, Angle, Michaels, and Hart(s) - Austin had to put forth a better effort than his traditional brawling because that shit never worked on them - and it won't work on Edge.

Furthermore, more often than not, each of those names you listed off got the better of Austin, or beat him as much (likely more) than he beat them. Which only further proves that when Austin is up against someone like them, like Edge, he's at a disadvantage and has a harder time winning.

WrestleMania 13, vs. Bret Hart

Austin Lost.

Summerslam 1997, vs. Owen Hart

One of the worst, most "scripted" finishes the business has ever had to be apart of. All because, ironically enough, Austin got hurt. I'm glad you pointed this specific match out - just to defuse another huge argument Edge haters try to use..

Being injury prone. Austin has had more injuries in his career, including ones that ultimately forced him to quit. Edge may suffer injuries - but he's still going. Including breaking his neck, yet not even that has stopped him. It's put Austin away for good.

Summerslam 2001, vs. Kurt Angle

Austin lost. And if memory serves, he hit like 4-5 stunners and couldn't even win. Wow, I'm loving how much you're helping me bury Austin without even knowing it.

No Mercy 2001, vs. Kurt Angle and RVD

This is not a Triple Threat match. Austin looked good in those matches, because he had two other people carrying the match. Simple enough.

Vengeance 2001, vs. Kurt Angle

This is one match that's good enough to say Austin got the better out of.. .. buuutt, two things come to mind regarding it.

1.) Angle didn't lose because Austin beat him with traditional wrestling. Angle lost because he got to a point where he wanted to beat Austin with his own finishing move, and Austin reversed it into a stunner and victory.

2.) It was in a tournament (much like this is) and Austin lost that Tournament to a very similar wrestler to Edge, in Chris Jericho, if I do recall. Interesting.

No Way Out, 2002 vs. Chris Jericho

Austin lost.

I could also add in dozens of matches prior to 1996, but we'll keep it in his prime.

Add all of them in for all I care, the only thing you're proving is that Austin can lose more in matches he looks great in. What does that mean here? That he can lose to Edge, yet come out looking better throughout? Alright, I'll agree.. Edge can win, but Austin puts on the better match. :shrug:

Exactly, a past-his-prime Mick Foley. What was Foley's record, in his prime, against Austin?? Not good. Foley never pinned Austin, clean, in a one-on-one match. Edge beating Foley means nothing here.

So, wait, because Austin had matches with alter-ego's of Foley and won the majority; yet Edge faced Foley when many considered him past his prime (even though he was still wrestling 3 years after their Mania match, including winning a Heavyweight Championship in TNA) it shouldn't count? Why again??

When did he beat Batista in a Street Fight?

2005 or 2007. One of those years, they went back and forth and that included a Street Fight. Regardless - I know for a fact Edge has gotten the better of Batista (2007), and Batista is a hell of a lot stronger than Austin.

As for HBK, it's not like he hasn't pinned Edge as many times as Edge has pinned him. Difference being -- HBK would win clean. Austin owned HBK, when both were in their prime.

Uhm, Royal Rumble 2005. Edge won clean. They've also had several other matches, street fight(s) included, in which Edge has won clean. I fail to see how he wins should mean anything though - Edge can play a heel and win dirty, it shouldn't matter.

Austin won a lot by cheating, does that mean he shouldn't win here? It's irrelevant.

As for Austin "owning" HBK when both were in their prime - now who's talking trash? Austin and HBK had a draw (KotR 97) when both were at top levels. HBK had defeated Austin in 96, before Austin took off. And finally, their Mania XIV match does NOT count for shit. HBK had a broken fricken back, and still managed to carry Austin to looking impressive. I'd hardly say HBK (who retired for 4 years after THAT match) was "in his prime" though, so you can throw that trash talking right out the window.

Austin has beaten The Undertaker, HHH, The Rock, and Mick Foley in similar matches. Austin wins this round, no doubt.

Edge has defeated every name on that list, except for the Rock (in Tag matches he has, though) so I fail to see how Austin should win - when both men have beaten the same names.

Austin won fairly, or clean - Edge cheated. A win is a win. Edge won unfairly because it's in his nature to do so. The overall point is, if he's able to get away with it - and as often as he has, I'd say he's the master of doing so - then what's the difference? He won, that's the main point.

17 consecutive chair shots put The Rock away at WrestleMania 17, and Austin dropped HHH, who was inside of a fucking car, to take care of him at the Survivor Series in 2000. Do you honestly think Edge has taken more punishment than that, and won? He hasn't. The match with Foley doesn't add up to either of the events I've provided.

:lmao: Great way to end a post, Nick. Where the hell was this even going?

Do you imagine that Austin is going to drag Edge out of the ring, and drop him in a car from a forklift? Or perhaps you'd imagine the official will randomly fall down long enough for Austin to be handed a chair from Mr. McMahon to bash Edge some 17 fricken times, so he can win (with brawling, I might add)? PLEASE.. Nick, tell me the point of this drivel.

Ah, the "punishment" that Austin dished out from 17 chair shots and using heavy metal machines - yeah, I'm sure if either were to happen - Edge would likely not survive the punishment. Nor would anyone else, including Austin - who was hit by a car, and put out for over a year. :rolleyes:

Either way - Edge has the ability to win here.

My vote goes to Stone Cold here.

Edge, to me, was defined by a series of gimmick matches. If this was TLC or a Ladder Match or Hell In A Cell or something similar, I'd be more inclined to go with Edge.

But it's not.

It's a straight up match and that's why I am going with Stone Cold. SCSA have proven himself against some of the best wrestlers in the business while, at least to me, Edge has only done it in gimmick matches.

It would be a good match between two solid workers, but Stone Cold would win in the long run.

Austin because is one of the most mediocre main eventers out there and Austin was actually pretty damn good.

I don't give a fuck. Like someone wrote, I'm not an idiot nor a troll, I'm just a guy with an opinion. Plus maybe I want to see someone different to win this year the tournament (hey maybe I am a troll :rolleyes: ). I'm not sure how overrated is Edge on WZ since basically there 4 pages here and basically only 4-5 posts are in favor of Edge. Edge may have been mediocre this past year, but man in 2006-2007 he was THE heel. Right there Ic ould see Edge screwing people like Hogan or Austin and get massive heat.

If Austin goes over Edge, so be it. No shame in going out when you have gotten this far. But to every Edgehead out there, just know that if somehow Edge does go over Austin, the overwhelming outrage around this forum will be more than satisfactory.

I couldn't said it any better FAT...

I think that after Edge's improbable and controversial go in the tournament last year (was it last year?), that sentiments towards him have turned. It is my belief that we are all so sick of Edge being overrated, that we have turned and underrated him. Edge has had a phenomenal wrestling career. His character is entertaining, as are the storylines that he has been a part of. He has captivated fans as a face and been despised as a villain. His list of accolades screams "Hall-of-Fame" at a glance. He is a good worker in my opinion. By that, I simply mean, that the majority of his matches are easy to enjoy. It isn't about technicality for me. That's why I enjoy The Rock's matches, Triple H's matches, and Edge's matches. He oozes charisma in the ring and on the microphone, he is well above average. I think he has fighter's chance in this match. With a character like Edge, any result is possible. This could be a match won by Edge via low-blow and pulling the tights as easily as a count out victory for Stone Cold when Edge gets the hell out of dodge after the first blows.

All that said, I voted SCSA with respect to Edge.

Two years ago these two faced each other in the semi-final. I've never been much of an Austin fan, and I was up on Edge at the time so I put him over. My justification was that Austin lost the vast majority of his first matches against heels, only to exact revenge later on in great style. I said that I had no doubt whatsoever that Austin was the bigger deal and that in the bigger picture he'd ultimately win, but that in their first match I anticipated an Edge win. Well, they've now had that match in the WrestleZone tournament universe (and I don't want to make a tenuous vote again), so the win goes to the bigger star and better wrestler, Steve Austin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back