Austin Region, Third Round, Casket Match: (2) Shawn Michaels vs. (7) Ultimate Warrior

Who Wins This Match?

• Shawn Michaels

• Ultimate Warrior

Results are only viewable after voting.
Warrior doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would be able to last in a match like this. While he's considerably stronger than Michaels, they're styles of wrestling don't mesh. I'm even discounting Shawn's casket match victory over Taker, and I still see him coming out on top here.

I'm on the fence right now. My first instinct is to say Warrior but Warrior has a problem with caskets. He's had some bad experiences with caskets and he allows that to get in his head. Skip to 1:42 and take a look.

[YOUTUBE]aNp9vk2fyCc[/YOUTUBE]

If Warrior is so easily distracted and worried by just the sight of the casket how is he going to react knowing he might end up in there again? HBK is crafty enough to take advantage of this mental weakness. After this incident Warrior went to the dark side to get some help in overcoming his fears. He went to Jake Roberts for guidance and left himself vulnerable to the Snake. Roberts turned on Warrior and shortly after that left the WWF without ever overcoming his fear of the darkness.

I'll hold off on my vote for now as I don't want to ignore my first instinct, but there is definitely a case to be made for Michaels here.

I think if hbk adopts the overselling strategy he did with hogan, plus the fact that warrior doesn't like caskets, I think that warrior would get confused, over confident, think that Shawn has down and out and would be distracted one second too long...

Long enough to eat a superkick into a casket.

Here's the thing: I know we talk about how Shawn was overwhelmed in this casket match or in this Cell match etc. The thing is, every time something like that's said, it's always followed up by "but he won anyway". That's what happens here: Shawn is overmatched but finds a way to win.

The other thing to remember is that while Shawn might be overmatched physically, no one has ever accused Ultimate Warrior of being the most cerebral wrestler. Shawn is going to be able to hang in there long enough to catch Warrior in a mistake (say a missed flying tackle) and catch him with a single superkick. That knocks Warrior silly enough to keep Shawn alive and then later on he'll get Warrior into the casket and slam it shut for the win.

Shawn.

Count the above reply as my reply as well. HBK would find a way to win heel or face.

It's a hell of a lot easier to knock Warrior down than it is to get a 3-count. This stipulation favours HBK's speed and I could very easily see Warrior charging at him, only for Shawn to pull the ropes down and send him over and in.

Another thing to remember is Shawn has freinds...

One power bomb from sid nash or hall or a pedigree from hunter and warriors in the casket.

We've seen it with Yokozuna at rumble 94, I could see Shawn doing it.

Face Shawn is great, but that's not who would be fighting the warrior here.

Another thing to remember is Shawn has freinds...

One power bomb from sid nash or hall or a pedigree from hunter and warriors in the casket.

We've seen it with Yokozuna at rumble 94, I could see Shawn doing it.

Face Shawn is great, but that's not who would be fighting the warrior here.

Interference is an awful argument.

All three of the people you mentioned were rivals of Shawn Michaels for as long as if not longer than they were friends, there's every chance they'd lay him out instead.

Interference is an awful argument. Not to mention the fact that even if you did go down that road, Warrior could easily have his former tag team partners Randy Savage and Hulk Hogan to defend him. See? Ridiculous.

This post sums up pretty neatly what the whole argument for Michaels has been - grasping at straws. Klunderbunker is up there saying Shawn was better as a face and this is the time we should consider. Other posters are saying, no actually, he's better as a heel. He won his biggest matches as a heel when wrestlers who had nothing to do with him attacked his opponent. He made heavy work of anyone he beat as a face.

The two main arguments in favour of Michaels appear to be: 'he would outlast Warrior', despite there being no evidence of Warrior ever losing a match because he was tired. And 'Shawn would find a way to win'. Again, despite their being reams of evidence to the contrary:

As a face in his second run, his record is piss poor, as I've shown earlier, to the point that KB has, wisely, chosen to narrow the prime of Michaels considerably. As a face in his first run he beat Diesel, who was on his way out of the company in his first encounter, and he beat Mankind by DQ. They were the only wrestlers he beat at the first attempt. Sid, an aging Vader and British Bulldog, all of whom have been eliminated from this tournament already, took multiple attempts for Michaels to beat. Michaels as a face never won decisively against big names, and certainly not in the first encounter.

As a heel Michaels is not resourceful like Ric Flair, he relied on a numbers game. But the thing is, often his own guys weren't really enough. In his big wins against Undertaker, he needed Kane to attack him, because even the entirety of DX couldn't help him sufficiently. Again, he needed multiple matches to actually get a win, completely gifted to him by Kane.

His only other feuds as a heel in his first big run on top were against Austin, which he lost, and Bret Hart, which he needed an entire company to do the dirty on one of their employees. Michaels doesn't find a way to win himself, and never has.

Kayfabe much?

I was talking about the kliq not the characters they portrayed...

And at least Paul has a legit reason to interference on Michael hickenbottoms behalf...

Or is this happening in a wwe ring? If so which era?

It doesn't really matter what Era. Warrior wins this match. Basically he was booked as superman through most of his career, and was nearly unbeatable in his prime. Splash, rolled into the casket, lid closed. Warrior wins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back