Best Survivor Series

ProWrestlingFan

Championship Contender
In my opinion Survivor Series 2003 was the best. The full match card was great.

Team Angle vs Team Lesnar, Kane vs Shane McMahon, Team Bischoff vs Team Austin, Goldberg vs HHH etc were all awesome.

Honorable mentions: Survivor Series 2000, 2002 and 2005.

Which is the best Survivor Series PPV in your opinion?

I would say either 2005 because the rivalry between Smackdown! vs RAW was at its apex. Plus with The Undertaker returning capped it off, or 2002 because there is not a bad match on that card, and with the dudleys reuniting, Scott Steiner returning, the first diva hardcore match, a solid cruiser-weight match, a good swerve in the wwe title match, and hbk winning the title. It made a great ppv and arguably one of the best ppv's of all time

I'll go all the way back to 1990

Can't remember all the matches now, but i remember the whole event being made up of traditional Survivor Series matches.

It was also the debut of The Undertaker. Ted Dibiase introduced The Phenom which would be the start of his amazing WWF/WWE Carrear.

I remember that the sole survivor's in the Elimination matches, meeting in the Grand Finale Main-Event. It was Hulk Hogan, Ultimate Warrior, and Tito Santana Vs Million Dollar Man, and 4 others who i can't quite remember. I think Demolition and The Warlord were in there but not 100% sure on that.

Hogan and Warrior were the winners at the end of a great event, so that's my pick as the best Survivor Series.

Edit - Went back and had a look at the card , It was Awesome.

The Hulkamaniacs - Hulk Hogan, Big Boss Man, Tugboat, Hacksaw Jim Duggan
vs
The Nautural Disasters - Earthquake, Dino Bravo, Haku, Barbarian

The Dream Team - Dusty Rhodes, KoKo B Ware, Bret Hart, Jim Neidhart
vs
Million $ Team - Ted Dibiase, The Undertaker, Greg The Hammer Valentine , Honky Tonk Man

The Alliance - Nikoli Volkoff , Tito Santana, The Bushwhackers
vs
The Mercanaries - Sgt Slaughter , Boris Zuckov, Orient Express

The Vipers - Jake The Snake, Superfly J Snuka, Shawn Michaels, Marty Jannetty
vs
The Visionaries - Model Rick Martel , Warlord, Power and Glory

The Warriors - Ultimate Warrior, Texas Tornado, Leigon of Doom
vs
The Perfect Team - Mr Perfect, Demolition.

Hopefully people don't confuse build-up with the actual quality of the product. When it come to actual delivery/quality of the matches of the PPV, it's 2002. First of all, I strongly believe a PPV is only as great as its main event. That being said, there have not been that many great Survivor Series main events. The only 'GREAT' ones IMO are 1992, 2001, 2002, and 2009. Other honorable mentions like the Smackdown vs Raw main event were good, but not great.

2002 had the most memorable Elimination Chamber of all time and besides the WWE title match, there was not one match on the card that sucked. Even with that one bad spot, it was still a memorable match considering it was the first time Brock Lesnar ever lost. I have a feeling 2001 is going to get the popular vote, but the PPV was not that great besides the main event and the build up. I would actually vote 1996 as my second choice. Very underrated PPV that also included the best Survivor Series match of all time (Bret-Austin Part I).

For me 1990 is up there, I liked all of the traditional Survivor Series match along with the finale pitting the winners against each other at the end. The debut of the Undertaker has to be mentioned too. To me this is what Survivor Series should be. 2002 is right up there to. It had IMO the best Survivor Series main event, and a sentimental favorite with HBK winning the World Title after his absence. The rest of the card was great to, and not really a bad match on the card.

2003. But that may be bias because I was there live, and it was my first live wrestling event. Had the main event been Chavo vs Danny Basham, I would have loved it.

So my answer will be outside of 2003, and i'll say 2002. The debut of the ultimate survival match, Elimination Chamber. It had a very good Elimination 3 way Tag team title match between Benoit/Angle vs Guerrero's vs Edge/Rey. From RAW, we had an Elimination 6 man Tag Team Tables match to kick off the show which was very impressive. Then we saw, for the first time ever, someone man handle Big Show.

I've been a part of these forums for four years now and I like to say that I do three things consistently.

1. Defend The Great Khali.

2. Defend Rey Mysterio.

3. Bash 90% of 2002 and 2003 WWE.

This last one comes very naturally to me and I'm pumped and ready to go.

The 2003 Survivor Series, other than Team Bischoff vs. Team Austin, was a giant pile of suck. Undertaker vs. Vince McMahon? Egads. HHH vs. Goldberg? It's HHH in 2003. What do you expect the match quality to be? Kane vs. Shane? It jumped the shark the moment Shane's nuts were fried. Team Angle vs. Team Lesnar? A sight for sore eyes. Let's look at the two teams.

Team Angle: Cena, Angle, Benoit, Hardcore Holly, Bradshaw
Team Lesnar: Brock, Show, Nathan Jones, Matt Morgan, and A-Train

It might as well have been Cena, Angle, and Benoit versus Brock and it would have been better that what we got. The other elimination match saved it from being the worst Survivor Series of all time.

2002 Survivor Series
The opening match was a spotfest and not of the good variety. Somebody needs to check to see if Rico is still on that top rope. The women's match was average. The tag team match started off great but once Angle and Benoit were eliminated, it just became your ordinary tag team match. Brock Lesnar vs. Big Show = abomination. Last but not least, the Elimination Chamber. They should have just advertised it as HHH vs. HBK vs. Some Guy vs. That Guy vs. That Other Guy vs. Him. Everyone knew that HBK was going to win. He didn't need to win. Kane was over, RVD was over, Booker T was over, and Jericho desperately needed something. But we got what we got, and we know what happened a month later at Armageddon.

My choice for best Survivor Series would be 1996. Mankind vs. Undertaker was a great brawl much like most of their matches. You had the debut of The Rock. Hart vs. Austin was awesome and Sid vs. HBK was awesome as well, the finish notwithstanding. A solid show all-around.

1995 for sure. It was stacked with superstars. Every match delivered. You had the first match of the night that consisted of The BodyDonnas (Skip, Rad Radford, Tom Prichard and 1-2-3 Kid) vs The Underdogs (Marty Jannetty, Hakushi, Barry Horowitz and Bob Holly). TBH the only real stars in that match were X-Pac, Marty & Hakushi but they all set the bar high for the night. A very exciting fast paced match. You had Goldust vs Bam Bam Bigelow in a solid match, The Darkside (The Undertaker, Savio Vega, Fatu and Henry Godwinn) (with Paul Bearer) vs The Royals (King Mabel, Jerry Lawler, Isaac Yankem and Hunter Hearst Helmsley) (with Sir Mo). We saw Taker debut with a mask here. Shawn Michaels, Ahmed Johnson, British Bulldog and Sycho Sid (with Ted DiBiase and Jim Cornette) vs Yokozuna, Owen Hart, Razor Ramon and Dean Douglas (with Mr. Fuji and Jim Cornette) & a No DQ WWE title match with Diesel vs Bret Hart. A real classic!

I've been a part of these forums for four years now and I like to say that I do three things consistently.

1. Defend The Great Khali.

2. Defend Rey Mysterio.

3. Bash 90% of 2002 and 2003 WWE.

Because you don't know what good wrestling is.

My choice for best Survivor Series would be 1996. Mankind vs. Undertaker was a great brawl much like most of their matches.

It was a mediocre match just like WWE in 1996. No wonder WCW was beating them in ratings. WWF 1996 = Shit matches, Shit storylines.

You had the debut of The Rock.
Not The Rock, Rocky Miavia who was booed by almost everyone instead of being a face.

Sid vs. HBK was awesome

Worst match of Shawn Michaels in 1996.

as well, the finish notwithstanding. A solid show all-around.

More like a shit show all around.

Because you don't know what good wrestling is.

It was a mediocre match just like WWE in 1996. No wonder WCW was beating them in ratings. WWF 1996 = Shit matches, Shit storylines.

Not The Rock, Rocky Miavia who was booed by almost everyone instead of being a face.

Hart vs. Austin was awesome and

Worst match of Shawn Michaels.

as well, the finish notwithstanding. A solid show all-around.

More like shit show all around.

Well, if you are so knowledgeable about wrestling, tell me how Survivor Series 2003 was so amazing and so wonderful since you failed to do it in your opening post. Tell me what was great about every match on that card since you think it is the best. Please, don't be a coward. I deal with enough of them.

I would say 98. This was the first year that the WWE really shifted away from the classic structure (although I believe there might have been a classic match somewhere in the card). But the reason this is the best is because of the deadly game tournament to crown a new WWE Champ. This was the first major WWE Title tourney since WM IV and there really hasn't been one since (Don't really consider what Jericho did to win the Undisputed Title back in 2001 as a tournament).

This night was full of what made the Attitude Era so great. You had a compelling story with the tourney. The built in hatred for Vince and his evil corporation and there guy Mankind. Then you have the big swerve with Shane and Austin, but get another one at the end of the night with Rock joining the Coropration and becomoing heel again (he was a face for a few months leading up to this night) and winning his first championship.

WWF 1996 = shit matches and shit storylines? Why, because WCW had the hottest thing going with the Hogan heel turn and the nwo? Just because WCW was hot doesn't mean WWF was shit.

It's hard for me to pick the best Survivor Series. There have been a lot of good and a lot of bad but none really stand out as great. 1996 is close to the top. Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin was an outstanding match. One of my all time favorites. A lot of people overlook it because of the more famous mania match but this was just as good, if not better. HBK vs. Sid was a solid match. Taker vs. Mankind was starting to fizzle but they delivered another good match. Even though they went on to do nothing I enjoyed the debut of Furnas and Lafon in the opener.

The first Survivor Series in 1987 might have been the best. The anticipation of Hogan facing Andre in the main event was big enough to make the entire main event exciting. The opening match had as strong a mid card face team as you'll ever see. The tag match had ten "legit" tag teams. The heels were managed by five different managers. The action was a little long but very good. Even the women's match was entertaining thanks to the innovative Jumping Bomb Angels.

One of my favorite ppvs of all time is Survivor Series 1991. The roster was at its best ever at this point. The angles were very good. Taker won his first title. Flair/Piper in the same ring. Rockers break up was starting. My only critique, I wish they had Macho/Jake in the elimnation match they were supposed to be in.

1990 had great matchs too. I loved the grand finale.

1996 is a favorite. The Garden always brought out the best in the WWF. Rock debut. Austin/Bret and Sid/Shawn were very good.

2001,2002,1988,1988 get honorable mentions.

Just rewatched the 96 Survivor Series (probably the first time I watched the entire card) and while I can't put it ahead of 98, the card was better than I expected. I knew about the two main event singles matches, but really watched Bret/Austin for the first time and they really put on a hell of a match. Much different than there Mania bout and nearly as good. It was the best match on the card and while I can see the argument for it being a 5 star match, I would rank it just a notch below.

The second best match was the title match. I have seen it before and the match was real good, and the crowd made it great. Only slightly below the Bret/Austin match but still a solid match. Boy was Sid ever over at that time.

I was pleasently suprised at how good the opening bout was. A traditional Survivor Series match that got real interesting when it was down to Davey and Owen against Lafon and Furnas. Owen was great as usual and Bulldog was always a quality power guy. What suprised me was how solid Furnas and Lafon were. I'm guessing their look held them back as I don't remember much from these guys in the WWF, but they had some real nice spots like the top rope inverted suplex and the reverse spin kick. Clearly this was the third best match of the night and a real solid traditional Survivor Series match.

The rest of the card rounded out well as Taker and Mankind had a good match. Taker sported some new ring attire and looked heavier than usual, but still a good match, and of course you have the debut of Rocky Maivia and we all know how that played out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back