Better on the Mic: Rock Vs Jericho

Who was better?

• The Rock

• Chris Jericho

Results are only viewable after voting.

kiztwo

Ron Simmons' biggest fan
I was thinking about this earlier and I personally wasn't sure. :shrug: They both have their strong points and they are both very entertaining.

Who do you think was better?

You kidding right? The Rock, without any doubt at all. Chris Jericho is magnificent but he’s no Rocky. The Rock had natural talent on the mic. You could give him a situation, and he would improvise. It also has alot to do with charisma. The way he just won over the crowd heel or face. You don’t seem to see that anymore. You’re either good as a face or heel, not both. The rock could get over being either one.

The Rock also had alot of catchphrases he would use to get the crowd gong along with him.
-"The Jabroni beatin, loud, pie eatin, eyebrow raisin, trail-blazing..."
-"If you smell, what the Rock is cookin..."
-"Finally, The Rock has come back to_____..."
All very great one-liners from the Rock that made him the best mic worker in the history of the WWE.

He was funny...no hilarious. Again going back to improvising, the Rock did wonders with his sense of humor. Remember "the People's Struddle"? Or the way he always made fun of Michael Cole or the Coach? Classics. The guy is ten times better then Jericho is on the mic. Don’t get me wrong’ Jericho is a great worker too, but he just can’t compare to the rock.

I had to go with the Rock but Jericho is a close second.

Rock simply has the best mic skills of all time IMO.

However Jericho can be just as charming at times.

When the two were in a segment together, microphone magic occurred.

The Rock....... no question.

However, I must disagree with you Kidd on The Brahma Bull being the best on the stick all time though..... as I believe no one could ever touch Flair in his prime.

To me its Chris Jericho. Im a HUGE fan of both but Chris is GREAT on the mic Im not saying Rocky wasnt but to me Chris was alittle better. Its very Close but Chris is alttle better.

Jericho - great on the mic.

The Rock - an absolute icon on the mic.

I can count a handful of classic Jericho promos, but there are way too many classic Rock promos to keep track of.

Just do a search on YouTube for Rock promos. You'll be sifting through promo gold for hours.

I'm going with the Rock but only because he's about a centimeter better then Jericho. They're both good who am i kidding they're probably two of the best mic workers of all time. I have to pick the Rock only by a little bit.

Nobody could make you laugh like The Rock could. Just his mannerisms, the messing with the interviewers, mocking his opponents, he could do it all. He also had some of the best catchphrases of all time. Jericho is much better on the mic as a face than he is a heel. He tells a good story as a heel and everything but he loses some of his charisma when he's a heel. The Rock was wonderful as a heel or a face and I think that's what sets him apart from everybody.

Chris Jericho-Top 10 of all time
The Rock-The Best of all time

I think it really depends on what you're getting out of it. Rock was more charismatic and worked better as a face; Jericho is more ridiculous and works better as a heel. To go back to Hamler, it's funny I had the exact opposite opinion on heel-face. Jericho is much better, IMO, at cutting heel promos particularly when he's being serious (something Rocky wasn't particularly good at despite all of his other qualities), but can still get over as a face better than Rock can get over as a heel, again, in my opinion.

I also prefer Jericho's style of comedy (ARMBAR!!) to The Rock talking about strudel/penis and pie/vagina, but that's just me. Again, it depends on what you prefer out of your promos. I'm getting to the point where I prefer Kennedy/Anderson to either, honestly.

I was about to get off but you had to reel me in with this thread didn't you. Look I will be the first to say that these guys were the best two mic guys in about 2000 and that means at the end of the golden age. Jericho is great and his whole acreer he has been great, hes one of the top five guys of all time for me. But nobody could touch the rock. Not flair, not piper, not anybody. The rock was THE man you wanted to hand a microphone to. Look to prove this, if the two guys ever had a verbal tussle back in the day, rock would come out on top. Look jericho can probably tell a batter story with his work, but rock is too good to be beaten just for that.

It really does come down to your preferences.

The Rock is probably the most charismatic individual ever on the mic, you just can't match the crowd excitement generated from the Rock. He was exciting, quick witted and extremely hilarious.

Jericho on the other hand has more layers to his promos. His promos tend to make use of a wider vocabulary and are a bit more thought provoking. His cold faced delivery as a heel is absolute gold.

If you pitted these 2 off in a war of words between each other (We've seen this promo before), The Rock would win because of his lightning fast zingers and the crowd reaction. Jericho would hardly have a chance to even get his point across before the crowd would be wildly declaring The Rock the winner.

I think Rocky was more charismatic. Not to say Jericho wasn't because he was, but imo Rocky was better. Now in terms of acting in a wide variety of emotions Jericho was much better.

I gotta go with The Rock on this one. Both are amazingly talented on the mic but Rocky just had that little special something that connected with fans more so than Jericho. Both were awesome as a face or heel.

im sorry but ric flair is the best on the mic of all time... anyway though, chris jericho in my opinion is better than the rock because jericho has played more characters well

Jericho was able to get over as both heel and face as the "ayatollah of rock and rollah" but then when he changed to being the best in the world at what he does, he proved to b just that cause he was able over so well, even when they were in Canada (where he got huge cheers from the crowd in the beginning), he'd turn all their cheers to boos because of his amazing mic work

The Rock, obviously is funny and a bonafide example of natural charisma, but i think his gimmick enhanced the memories that we have of him today... jericho has a wider range of roles he can play on the mic, and he can get over on each and every one while the rocks claim to fame is being the peoples champ

Look, Jericho's great. But this is an unfair question. The Rock is INARGUABLY the absolute BEST of all time. He's #1, everybody else is in a competition for #2. And, to be completely honest, it's an insult to Rock to say anybody is 2nd behind him. I can't think of anybody even remotely close. He was a unique talent. There never has been, and likely never will be, anybody as good as him on the mic.

jericho, for the simple reasons that he didn't rely on a smorgasbord of catchphrases to make his promos coherent

I disagree...Raw is Jericho, "prepare to lose to Y-2-j"( as the crowd chanted with him),Things will never everrrrrrrrrrrrrr be the same Agan(again),the ayatollah of rock and rolla, and more recent "the best at what he does" u get the point...i've been a fan since his WCW when he was the man with 1001 holds..The Rock is better on the mic..Heel or Face.The crowd connected with him and to me he is the greatest sports entertainer of all time..(didnt say wrestler but sports entertainer)..Hands down the Rock

Look, Jericho's great. But this is an unfair question. The Rock is INARGUABLY the absolute BEST of all time. He's #1, everybody else is in a competition for #2. And, to be completely honest, it's an insult to Rock to say anybody is 2nd behind him. I can't think of anybody even remotely close. He was a unique talent. There never has been, and likely never will be, anybody as good as him on the mic.

INARGUABLY? Really? If you use all caps, does that make it true? Well, I'm here to prove you undoubtedly wrong, if for no other reason than I'm arguing it! And even if you were correct (which I don't think you are), how could saying anyone is 2nd be an insult? Someone has to be 2nd! 2nd all time at anything is still pretty damn good, and by no means an insult! But,that being said, Austin was Johnson's equal, and both of them would tell you that Flair was the greatest of all time.

For me it's The Rock. He could truly electrify on the mic, he was hilarious, would get the fans on his side & chant along with him whether heel or face, he had so many unique catchphrases. Jericho is different though, he could tell a story, he's intelligent with his use of vocabulary and yes he could the fans chanting with him with his cathphrases but with The Rock, he's just more exciting to listen to & his catchphrases were better.

honestly people are just so biased towards the Rock it's ridiculous, to say people aren't close to him is even more ridiclous, because the actual best person on the mic of all time is ric flair. Ric flair also had catchphrases but he didnt need him, he was so good on the mic that he could talk for an hour about nothing and still keep the crowd on the edge of their seats with every word

the rock is good with his one character but jerichos 2 combined character make him number 2 on the list behind flair

and by the way... its not good is a heel has the crowd cheering them, heels are supposed to be hated by the crowd, which jericho could do better than anyone besides flair

Wasn't planning on posting but we seem to be getting a little off topic. The question is who is better on the mic.

The Rock has my absolute favorite wrestling persona of all time. His skits and songs were classics. But in terms of cutting a promo on the mic I have to give it to Jericho. A large part of what Rock brought to the table was his charisma, facial mannerisms, and energy, all wonderful features but isn't working the mic. The Rock's face promos were excellent and could draw the crowd in like no other but got his biggest heat when he was playing the super babyface and the crowd turned. The Rock mastered the back and forth give and take with the crowds but had no art behind the promo, just wonderful feel of his audience.

Jericho could memorize you with his heel promos. He is a classic heel in terms that he believes that are all of his actions are right and morally justified, as Mick Foley wrote in Have a Nice Day. His promos will work in any age of wrestling, 20 years ago or 20 years in the future, where as the Rock has played on the hip and now. In the heel promo department have to give it to Jericho. Face promos I thought Jericho was trying too hard to be cool.

Glad I got to enjoy them both in my time. They are big parts of what is fun and entertaining about wrestling.

I'm going with Jericho.

While legendary, I think The Rock hype machine got out of control at the turn of the century, and people stopped actually listening to his promos. Instead, they just waited for him to drop some catch phrases. His promos were rarely improvised --- hell, even his catch phrases were created by Pat Patterson --- and he seemed to give the same schtick every night.

Don't get me wrong - I thought he was entertaining as hell, and I ate it up like everyone else. But I just don't think he's the best of all time.

I also don't think Jericho is the best of all time - but I certainly think he's better than The Rock. His act is more well thought out - more improvised - more real.

In scriptwriting - there's a technique called the bamboo stick. That's a phrase to describe the giving and taking of the upperhand by the two participants in the conversation. For a situation to feel real and tense, both participants in the argument need to take turns having the power in the conversation.

With The Rock - I only ONCE remember him not having the upperhand in any segment not featuring Steve Austin (the one time is when Foley told him to shut up for throwing away his book.) The Rock was a very selfish character who displayed that trait in his promos. You knew The Rock was going to get the upperhand. You knew how he was going to get it. You knew how he was going to keep it.

With Jericho, you weren't sure. You didn't know how he was going to react when he lost it. You didn't know how long he'd keep it when he got it back. And you didn't know if he was going to have it when the promo ended. He was much more original than The Rock.

That said - the best of all time is either Flair or Rhodes ... the most passionate is Foley ... the most entertaining is Jericho ... the most intense is Randy Savage ... the most bizarre is the Ultimate Warrior ... and the one who drew the most reaction was Hogan.

Knowing the Rock's lines were written for him a good part of the time, I'd give the nod to Y2J. They were/are the best at what they did for their time, no doubt. Great question!

Chris Jericho by a mile. Jericho can cut the funny promo, he can cut the serious promo, he can do anything with his promos. The Rock, while insanely good at what he was doing in his promos, was always in the same ballpark with them, he was kind of one dimensional if you will.

Also, Jericho reinvents himself and gives himself much more to work with. Versatility is a great thing, and that's what Jericho is, The Rock is good, but Jericho is better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back