Category III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yes, I finally made it, Tdigs.

Now, I would be lying if I told you that I was a big fan of Category 3 movies. I would also be lying if I told you that I had seen all of the movies that would have been deemed as Category 3 in the Cinema system of Hong Kong. However, this thread is not in place to examine what movies were your favourites, or which movies you didn’t like, Rather, I thought I would make this thread on why Category films have seemed to disappear as we move further into the future.

Of course, similarities can be drawn between Category movies and R-Rated movies in Hollywood, which I would argue have also fallen out of favour with the mass populace. For those of you who do not know what Category 3 movies are, they are movies that would typically include softcore sex scenes and general themes that would seem to push the boundaries in Chinese markets. There was a great boom in the early 90’s and the one thing that really struck me was, what happened?

After Government introduction of film classifications, Category 3 movies became very popular with the people and at one point, I would argue that most of the movies produced in the cinema of Hong Kong were category 3 movies. A lot of these movies were low budget but achieved a cult status that was unmatched by some of the more “mainstream” titles.

Category 3 movies would continually push the envelope and change what was acceptable and what wasn’t. Many of the stories would focus on brutal murders and often times, rape. However, it wasn’t a malicious type of movie. I wouldn’t think that they were setting out just to be edgy. Rather, these movies have shaped the cinema world and play a huge part in the history of the Hong Kong cinema system. Sure, it could be argues that they were vulgar but without pushing the envelope, film would be nothing.

So my question is, after a great period in the late 80’s and earl 90’s, why did Category 3 films fail and fall out of the public eye for the most part?

Personally, I think a case could be argued that the movies just outgrew what they were there to do. Apparently, we could all use VHS to get our rocks off but I don’t think it is that. Rather, I think that people appreciated the Category 3 market for what is was and that job had been done. Sure, some movies took it to an extreme but all movie types have a place in cinema and to deny Category 3 the time of day, simply because of it’s subject matter, would have been ludicrous. Especially when it accounted for around half of the overall movies made at the time. As time went on though, I think people just grew to a resistance of the subject matter and it has started to fade away.

But what do you think?

Great thread!

Category III films are definitely not as prevalent as they used to be, but that's not to say that a few good films with this rating have come out in the past few years (Johnny To has kept this rating alive with his Triad films and action-thrillers, in my opinion).

You do raise a good point though regarding the purpose of these films; it seems as if they appealed to the Chinese precisely because of their copious (and unprecedented) amounts of sex and violence. Unfortunately, I am culpable of ethnocentrism in this respect: there has always existed in the West a small but stable interest in cult and exploitation films. Personally, I saw these films as being nothing more than Asian attempts to rival the prurience of 70s and 80s Eurotrash cinema. That these films were not made for Westerners like myself in mind was a totally alien concept to me before this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back