Chicago Region, Fourth Round: (1) Road Warriors vs. (9) Brain Busters

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Road Warriors

• Brain Busters

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a fourth round match in the Chicago Region. It's a standard tag team match held in the Rosemont Horizon.

4025414292_5c4bda57d1.jpg

Road-Warriors.jpg

1. Road Warriors

Vs.

94dbe7b6c53d70813cf30fe77a58e3e2.jpg

9. Brain Busters

Vote for who you feel is the better team. The poll will be open for FIVE days starting approximately twenty four hours after this thread is posted. Use the time to argue and defend your choices. In the case of a tie, the team with more written votes will win. Only one vote per user.

Remember that this is a non-spam section and posts that do not meet our spam requirements will not count.

Arn and Tully can beat The Road Warriors. Arn and Tully HAVE beaten The Road Warriors. Arn and Tully will beat The Road Warriors. I'm taking the Busters for the win. And I don't really consider it an upset.

This would be a close match, but in the end, this isn't about which team can beat which team...if it came down to that, most teams in this tournament have a good shot at beating any other.

The better team was the Road Warriors. They were truly dominant across the entire wrestling scene during the 1980s from AWA to the NWA to Japan to the WWF. The Road Warriors paved the way for rise of the muscled, dominant big man in American wrestling -- Sting, Luger, Ultimate Warrior, Sid Vicious, etc. The Warriors tore through teams with an intensity that most teams couldn't really match. The Warriors really only ceded their dominance once the Steiners made their way onto the scene, who picked up where the LOD left off...beating teams with overwhelming force. As for Anderson and Blanchard, their one victory over the Road Warriors came by way of a bogus Dusty finish and even that was by disqualification for throwing Anderson over the top rope (yes...people used to get DQ'd for that. And yes, it was dumb then too. :rolleyes: )

Winners: The Road Warriors

I think besides the War Games matches they only met one other time and Arn\Tully won by DQ if I am not mistaken. In the War Games matches they also came out on the losing end against LOD's side. So unless someone knows of a match where they met and Arn\Tully actually won- I am gonna go with LOD in this one. It's not a knock against The Brain Busters, because they were a bad ass team, it is due to the fact that Hawk\Animal did so much more with their career as a team & are remembered as one of the best ever. Unless you are a longtime fan or simply up on your wrestling history, then you likely have never heard of The Brain Busters. On the flip side to that even casual fans know of LOD & the die hard fans know exactly why they are a legendary team.

Road Warriors move on here. Tough battle, but Arn\Tully just dont get it done tonight.

Arn and Tully are simply a better tag team than The Road Warriors. I will say that Road Warrior are a more dominate team but history has shown that Arn and Tully previously defeated The Road Warriors. The Brain Busters had a better albeit shorter run in the WWF than the LOD. Brain Busters win the match in a once classic rivalry. I believe Bobby Heenan to be a bigger factor in this match then Paul Ellering.

This exact match happened in Chicago with the chance to put over the Road Warriors in their prime in their home town, the road warriors lost. Very few times in these tournaments do we get to see a repeat of an exact situation. Two teams in their prime in a one off match. TThis time we have that, and Tully and arn won then and they'd win now.

Winners- Brain Busters

I bet when this tournament was announced a lot of people just assumed The Road Warriors would just cruise through the whole thing. They very well could have if they could only avoid The Brain Busters. I think this is the one team that could put The Road Warriors out. LOD used to just run through everyone with ease. Tully & Arn were never a pushover for them and have been able to beat them before. I keep mentioning how The Busters would out smart their opponents and I think the same would happen here. They know a million little tricks to give themselves the advantage and you know they would have something up their sleeve as I'm sure they would have anticipated a match with LOD since the brackets were announced. Put some thought into this one people. Don't just blindly vote Road Warriors here. It could go either way but at least give The Brain Busters a little consideration before clicking your choice.

Arn and Tully haven't just beaten the Road Warriors - they've beaten them NUMEROUS times. And you can talk about the finishes or whatever, but the Brainbusters have a winning record over LOD, and I can't name many teams that can say that.

And by the way, Arn and Tully beat them in Chicago... Starrcade 87... sure it was a 'Dusty Finish' when they hit the Doomsday Device on Arn and got the pin, but before that, Tully was thrown over the top rope, which was a DQ back then, which resulted in a win for Arn and Tully.

Hey... a win's a win... and LOD didn't even beat them in their own hometown.

How many wins over LOD do they have besides the DQ win? I remember some multi man matches, but what is the record in a two on two traditional tag?

How many wins over LOD do they have besides the DQ win? I remember some multi man matches, but what is the record in a two on two traditional tag?

If you check out this link (http://www.thehistoryofwwe.com/jcp87.htm), you'll find that The Road Warriors beat Anderson and Blanchard on multiple occasions:

7/5/87 in Greenville, SC
8/26/87 in Miami, FL
10/12/87 in Greenville, SC again

That doesn't count all the times they beat them in 6 man matches -- The Road Warriors OWNED The Horsemen.

The entry for Starrcade is funny: NWA Tag Team Champions Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard (w/ JJ Dillon) defeated the Road Warriors (w/ Paul Ellering) via reverse decision; the challengers originally won the match and titles at 13:24 when Road Warrior Animal pinned Anderson following the Doomsday Device but referee Tommy Young overruled Earl Hebner’s decision since he saw Animal throw Anderson over the top moments before the pinfall; after the bout, the Road Warriors left ringside with the title belts as the crowd chanted "Bullshit".

This is kind of an important point: The Road Warriors generally didn't hold the titles because they were so massively over and main evented cards themselves, that they hardly ever needed the belts. I can't think of many teams that can honestly say that.

So that kind of blows up that theory on Anderson and Blanchard beating the Road Warriors as others have suggested outside of their tainted win.

Some of you guys have definitely given me a lot to think about. In the grand scheme of tag team wrestling, LOD were tops. They were a number one, dukes of New York. That said, it seems Tully and Arn gave them some issues in their day. I'm gonna have to put some real thought into this one.

Arn and Tully haven't just beaten the Road Warriors - they've beaten them NUMEROUS times. And you can talk about the finishes or whatever, but the Brainbusters have a winning record over LOD, and I can't name many teams that can say that.

And by the way, Arn and Tully beat them in Chicago... Starrcade 87... sure it was a 'Dusty Finish' when they hit the Doomsday Device on Arn and got the pin, but before that, Tully was thrown over the top rope, which was a DQ back then, which resulted in a win for Arn and Tully.

Hey... a win's a win... and LOD didn't even beat them in their own hometown.

I checked on this and I came up with 6 times that the Road Warriors and the Brainbusters fought in a 2 on 2 tag match (no other parties involved)...

The Road Warriors won 5 of those 6 encounters. The only loss being the one you mentioned above.

In fact, even when others were involved (which was the bulk of their matches together), the Road Warriors team came out on top virtually every single time. Various six man matches with the Roadies using someone like Dusty, Nikita, Sting or Ellering and the Brain Busters using other Horsemen... the Road Warriors team would always win. Eight man tags including all the Horsemen? The Road Warriors would always win. The team of Tully and Lex Luger actually had a better record against the Road Warriors. They at least managed to get some double dq's instead of actual losses.

The Horsemen were awesome. The Brain Busters were an amazing team. History looks at them fondly. But let's not forget the actual facts. When these guys hooked up, the Horsemen almost always lost. I can't see why it would be any different here.

My point in all of this is the Brainbusters can find ways to win by simply either outsmarting their opponents, or being fortunate enough to have the other team get DQ'ed and lose the match.

And as I said before... a win's a win... and in this case, that one win for Arn and Tully came in CHICAGO! Which means the Road Warriors were so juiced up to finally win Tag Team gold, they had a brain fart and threw one half of the Brainbusters over the top rope, which was a clear DQ.

Just don't sell the Busters short here because it's LOD. Few teams could actually beat them in a tag match... and I think Arn and Tully could do so.

My point in all of this is the Brainbusters can find ways to win by simply either outsmarting their opponents, or being fortunate enough to have the other team get DQ'ed and lose the match.

And as I said before... a win's a win... and in this case, that one win for Arn and Tully came in CHICAGO! Which means the Road Warriors were so juiced up to finally win Tag Team gold, they had a brain fart and threw one half of the Brainbusters over the top rope, which was a clear DQ.

Just don't sell the Busters short here because it's LOD. Few teams could actually beat them in a tag match... and I think Arn and Tully could do so.

The funny thing is that if you look back at the arena results from JCP, Arn and Tully had a losing record against most teams. They either lost in non-title matches or lost by DQ or Countout but got very few outright wins themselves. Again, that was due to Dusty's shit booking at the time that said the heels always had to have the titles, and they could never just win a match, but neither could the faces win the titles.

I'm betting they actually had a better record once they made it to the WWF.

Tough one - while the Road Warriors faced off with Tully & Arn many many times... most of them were multiperson rather than straight tag matches and, as such, cannot count towards this.

Looking into this, I've been able to locate 8 tag bouts with the Road Warriors ahead 6:1:1 with the majority having DQ finishes and the only clean finish I can see being a Bunkhouse Match with no gold on the line (Warriors won).
Given this isn't gimmick and the Road Warriors lost their one match to Arn & Tully in the one high profile bout they faced off in (albeit by DQ), I'm struggling to really decipher between the two on legit history.

How about top accolades? Road Warriors - 1 time NWA World Champs; 2 time WWF World Champs (for a total 388 days). Brain Busters - 2 time NWA World Champs; 1 time WWF World Champs (for a total 399 days). Not much help there either!

Impact on the sport? Road Warriors/ Legion Of Doom vs Horsemen... yeeeaahhh - still struggling!

In all honesty, there is no right or wrong answer here so I'm going with personal preference (and the one edge I see) - the NWA is were both teams made their legacy and the NWA normally had the top champion heel(s) come out on top, so I'm giving my vote to Arn & Tully.

I'll be the first to say that I would have ZERO issues with Arn and Tully going over in this match. They've bested The Road Warriors more than once (with one of those being at Starrcade) and they were an awesome team. That being said I ultimately went with The Road Warriors for one simple reason.

The tourny straight up asks to vote for who is the BETTER team. Even though I enjoyed Arn and Tully's work more it doesn't change the fact that The Road Warriors are the measuring stick for what a tag team is. They are the greatest team of all time and there are very few teams that I would seriously consider as better, as much as I like Arn and Tully they just aren't one of those teams.

Road Warriors win.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back