Confirmed: TNA Releases Matt Morgan

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
According to prowrestling.net, Matt Morgan has been released from his TNA contract. Apparently, Morgan asked to be released from his contract about a month ago and the company's granted his request.

Morgan hinted that he was planning to leave the company in the spring of 2012, right around the time all the shit hit the fan in regards to the lawsuit filed by TNA against WWE. Morgan returned to the company this past fall but hasn't been consistently used since his return.

It's probably for the best. Morgan never really panned out in TNA (although they tried) and if TNA has nothing for him then there's no reason to keep him signed.

Morgan has always been an odd duck. On paper he seems to be a booker's wet dream but never seems to work out. Albeit having a stuttering gimmick isn't gonna help anyone but when he first started TNA was really trying to hit home that this guy was the future of wrestling. A lot of guys put him over strong (Angle at I think BFG '09 comes to mind) but any momentum he ever had was lost as quickly as it started.

He just doesn't have the IT factor and although he does a lot of things well there's nothing about him that's all that interesting. He has the skills but he has no character and no one stays over long being bland.

In all honesty I hope he doesn't show up in WWE, they have a lot of good new stars coming up and Morgans boring arse might make it hard on them.

I can't blame him a bit if this is true.

Morgan has been in TNA since what, 2006? He's been the next big guy for like seven years now but TNA would rather put Hogan and Sting out there every other week and have them cowboy up to fight whatever latest force is trying to take over TNA. Morgan is definitely overrated for the most part, but there's clearly no future in TNA for him. If they were going to pull the trigger on him, it would have been done LONG ago. I have zero problem with this.

Aw well. Even with a long beard and a mean face, I could never take him as a seriously mad guy. He just looked plain silly. Having Hogan's early 80's cape didn't help either. He looked more like Kevin Nash's Oz character. Just plain silly.

To me going around the international scene might do him good. He's already competed in AAA and WWL is always snapping up good talent. Unless he decides to go to WWE. Though I see him ending up as messed up as Tensai.

No shock here, he wasn't doing a thing in TNA anyway and I doubt there was any sort of a push for him in his immediate (or distant) future in TNA.

I wouldn't mind seeing him return to WWE. That's not to say that I see anything too substantial in his future there either, but he's a big dude and would fit in nicely even as enhancement talent there. And if they decide to try something more for him in the future, why not?

Hey, if you're going to be languishing in the mid card and below, may as well do it in the big leagues.

I'll miss Matt Morgan, I met him he's a nice dude. I enjoyed his ring work, he's probably going back to WWE and I hope they use him correctly. If not then I wish him all the best of luck..

I think this is a big shame. after his recent return I really thought they had him going in the right direction, using him as a heel like he should have been all along.
but not surprising TNA booking sucked and they killed him.

I lost all respect for him when his little emotional rant about the fans hit the internet. It was incredibly pathetic to see someone with so much potential being so insecure. He had opportunities both in the WWE and TNA to prove himself so hopefully he's learned something from that and will enter the business with a lot more wisdom if he ever returns.

It's probably for the best. Morgan never really panned out in TNA (although they tried) and if TNA has nothing for him then there's no reason to keep him signed.

Morgan has always been an odd duck. On paper he seems to be a booker's wet dream but never seems to work out. Albeit having a stuttering gimmick isn't gonna help anyone but when he first started TNA was really trying to hit home that this guy was the future of wrestling. A lot of guys put him over strong (Angle at I think BFG '09 comes to mind) but any momentum he ever had was lost as quickly as it started.

He just doesn't have the IT factor and although he does a lot of things well there's nothing about him that's all that interesting. He has the skills but he has no character and no one stays over long being bland.

This is pretty much how I see it as well. He's what, 36 or 37 now? Wrestlers tend to go a bit longer these days, but if he's gonna try to make the most as fast as possible, and especially if he wants in with WWE, my guess is he needs to get in now, while he still can.

I've always liked Morgan, and I hate how misused he's been with TNA, but considering how unwilling they were to give him the ball and let him run with it, this is just the best possible thing for both sides.

More power to him if this is true. I liked Morgan as a monster of the roster, but there's nothing for him in TNA now. I wish him well.

Morgan is one of those swing and a miss. I don't see him going back to WWE unless that they somehow work him in The Shield other than that WWE has no opener for a giant mid carder, they already have to many of those, one named Big Show. ROH is sinking fast.
Time to pawn Hogans Cape

I liked Morgan but something about him just wasn't ever convincing to me. He was TNA's version of Randy Orton who keeps getting pushes but never quiet gets over the top. Strange how it hasn't been reported on this site yet. I can see Mark Madden and crew feverishly writing the Matt Morgan has left TNA the TNA sky is fallen and the whole company is falling apart article.

When's the last time Morgan received a real strong, significant push, that didn't completely fall apart? His match with Kurt Angle at Bound For Glory a few years ago?

BUT with that said, I'm not in the camp that blames TNA for Morgan's failures, because Morgan never gave TNA any reason (or reasons) to sustain the pushes. Outside of his best of three series with AJ Styles a few years ago, when's the last time Morgan blew you away with his work in the ring? When's the last time he cut a promo, that really caught your attention? Let's face facts, Matt Morgan was pushed, because of his look and size, and his aura as an athletic giant. His promo skills are mediocre at best, and again, I can't remember the last Morgan match that reached anything near five star quality.

Plus, from what I remember, TNA gave a significant amount of attention to the Morgan/Crimson feud a while ago. And it never lived up to expectations in the ring or in the dueling promos (I actually remember Morgan using the term "dream match" for the first encounter between Crimson and himself).

Not a big loss for TNA, and if Morgan wants to make one last run at WWE, now's the time, because he's creeping towards forty.

I think his release has something to do with the fact that him and his wife as expecting, but nonetheless they ALWAYS misused Morgan. I wasn't even that much convinced about him being a serious contender for Heavyweight Title a few years ago, but I 'd have to agree that when he came back I was interested. He had a new look to him, the beard and a few more tats add a little bit more bad ass to his character (that back tattoo is god awful), but then he started wrestling in TIGHTS again!! (palm to forehead) how silly does a 7 foot "monster" look in gold tights and big shiny white boots??? PLUS A CAPE?? smh. they should have kept him wrestling in just jeans and eventually he could have even became another member of Aces and Eights!! Hell i would have wanted to see him more than Mike Knox!! He would have actually ADDED to Aces and Eights' credibility as a REAL BELIEVABLE threat than a bunch of cronies who get their ass whooped with one punch a'la Sting or Hogan. I mean who knows? he was at least more than decent at his promo skills and though he doesnt have technique in the ring, his strength as a powerhouse definitely could get him over enough to even have challenged Bully for the title if done right. I could have even seen him tagging with Gunner as well to improve the Tag Division. I know he's had main event aspirations for some time, but in order for him to even be over enough to get that match, let alone win, it all falls on who his opponent would be. If him and Bully faced off in a tweener vs heel main event and Morgan actually won that would instantly put him where they need him to be, a bad ass tweener with power, size and mic skills to back it up.

Morgan is a prime example of what happens when you just can't get over. He has the look, is decent on the mic was given chances in both WWE and TNA. He just can't get over. I say he heads to WWE and starts a stable with Wade Barrett and Alberto Del Rio, and see how well that gets over. Ok all joking aside, I do like Morgan, but I hope he saved his money, because he will not end up back in WWE or TNA. His best bet is retire, as he is to big for the indies and to small for the big boys

Morgan lacks something. He has the look and the size to be a star, and I still think he has some potential, but time is running out for him. Not sure what the WWE could do with him, but it would be worth a shot for them.

He could probably have a shot at getting over as one of "Heymans Guys". I thought TNA should have put Morgan in aces and eights to give them both some legitimacy. Another big guy for a&e and a mouthpiece for Morgan. At the very least he'd be more threatening than Bischoff, Briscoe and those other two goofs.

@IMPACTWRESTLING:
Impact Wrestling has released Matt Morgan. We thank him for all his contributions and wish him the best of success in the future.

Looks like it's official now, but this is kinda crazy — when's the last time you saw a company like this make public note of a release? I've certainly never seen it in wrestling before. Kudos to TNA for doing so.

Several years ago I had Morgan pegged as TNA's next big thing and their hope for a bright future. His match with Kurt Angle at Bound for Glory at the end of the Main Event Mafia angle was, to me, amazing, and I was absolutely stunned at how they completely failed to convert his great run at the fringes of the MEM into sustained success. He had been pushing for months and months to become a world title contender, to join the Mafia, for someone to pay attention to him. He had gotten everyone's attention at last at Bound for Glory, and TNA promptly did fuck all with it. I am continually stunned at how every time they've let Morgan show all his raw talent and promise they've gone nowhere with it. This, to me, is one of the worst failures in TNA's history, and the blame is shared all the way around between Russo, Carter, Hogan, Bischoff, and everyone who's ever decided not to push Morgan to the top, because he has it all.

He'll be an international star if he goes that direction. If he tries his luck in the WWE again, I don't know if they'll be able to convert him to the superstar levels he could have had in TNA - there are a few guys too similar to him in the WWE, especially Sheamus, that it would be difficult for him to leap over.

This is really an all around shame. Morgan was too talented to be wasted like this.

@IMPACTWRESTLING:

Looks like it's official now, but this is kinda crazy — when's the last time you saw a company like this make public note of a release? I've certainly never seen it in wrestling before. Kudos to TNA for doing so.

Bro, do you even internet? WWE has issued statements for their releases FOREVER. Haven't you ever heard the whole "We wish you well in your future endeavors?" It's even the little tag that the banned posters on this site get. I know you don't watch WWE anymore but they were doing this long, long before you quit watching.

Morgan is decent. His return to TNA looked like it had some potential before the ridiculous pairing with Joey whatever the fuck his name is and then jobbing clean to Sting. I give TNA the majority of the blame but not very much. He was decent, but he was expendable.

TNA made a really big mistake really big mistake releasing Matt Morgan because now WWE can sign Matt Morgan or he could go to ROH but most likely wherever has the most money that is where Matt Morgan will go and if he ends up going to WWE, it is really TNA's loss because the best big man hands down in the whole business is leaving the company

Matt Morgan was doing nothing in TNA, so this was a logical move.

When a guy is making money, a substantial amount, I assume, to just sit at home, releasing him is a no-brainer. There have been numerous reports surfacing, true or not, that TNA has been late in paying their talent. But all things being equal, and supposing they were paying their talent on time, it's silly to pay someone who hasn't appeared on TV since he passed on in the Scorpion to Sting in April.

Morgan is a moderately talented big man who TNA never quite figured out how to use. They used him in the forefront in the fight against Immortal, specifically sticking up for Mr. Anderson with regards to concussions. When that didn't work, they put him back in an awful feud with Hernandez, and shortly after, his contract expired. Then they re-signed him, and did the awful "jumping the rail" gimmick, and worse, the stealing of Hogan's robes for him to pose in every time he went out to lose.

I think the writing on the wall came when he was put in a tag team with Joey Ryan, and they couldn't unseat Hernandez and freakin Chavo Guerrero for the tag titles. They invested alot of time and effort into Ryan, and in doing so, Morgan, especially in backstage segments.

So, what's next for Morgan? I suppose he could go to WWE, as he has the look Vince McMahon drools over. But there's no guarantee he would be used any better then he was in TNA, and he's 36 years old. How many years could he have left? I think TNA made the right decision in cutting ties, and WWE would gain little in signing him. Which, of course, leaves room for just one possibility:

Matt Morgan isn't very good. TNA was smart to cut ties with him, and in doing so, saving money.

Morgan is a strange case, they'd start things with him and then he'd not be seen for a few weeks, then he'd pop up again and get in Hogans face and then vanish again, for some reason nothing was ever followed through on.

As a performer I think he was hit and miss, he did things for a 7 footer that may be impressive in one sense but I think they took away from the classic monster aura as well. On the mic he was even more erratic.

For some reason I see him popping up on Raw as Brad Maddox bodyguard sometime soon.

I may be alone on this (and that's okay too), but I think he had potential to be a big deal in TNA, even WHC quality. A guy his size who is able to move with the agility that he moves is VERY rare in this business. He has a fantastic look and I actually didn't think his promos were that bad. I think he does better in promos when they don't over-gimmick him.

Hey, maybe he and Crimson can go into the WWE together as a tag team? I mean, there really aren't any established long-term tag teams there, so they could primarily stay a tag team.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back