Derrick Gordon, college basketball player from UMass, reveals he's gay

LSN80

King Of The Ring
It seems that Jason Collins' impact continues to grow.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...becomes-first-openly-gay-ncaa-division-player

Only days after sitting down with his family, friends, coach and teammates, Derrick Gordon announced to the nation that he was gay. But to get to the place where he was ready to tell the world, Gordon took some major steps. Approximately a year ago, Gordon contacted Wade Davis, executive director of an organization called You Can Play Project. You Can Play is a group that ensures safety and respect for all athletes, regardless of their sexual orientation. While Gordon said that You Can Play was "instrumental" in helping him prepare to come out, the aforementioned director, Wade Davis, talked about the impact that Gordon has had on them:
"Over the past year, I've gotten to know Derrick Gordon.He's like a little brother to me. I've watched him grow into a confident young man who is ready to be a leader on and off the court. His fearless desire to be his authentic self and his personal story of triumph will inspire others and continue to expand consciousness."
Those are the things that are most important to me, I suppose, not the fact that Gordon came out. But the fact that he was brave enough to stand up and say 'This is who I am' is most meaningful. There's nothing more important-Not fame, fortune, or time in the spotlight-then being authentic to who you are. Because of Jason Collins', who I mentioned above, it's never been easier for a gay athlete to come out. However, that doesn't mean that, in any way, it's an easy thing for a gay athlete to do. Just knowing the steps that Gordon went through when he decided to come out as gay shows me that it was both a difficult decision and a difficult process.

He went to school administration. He went to the school's Athletic Director. He went to his parents, though he couldn't find the words. His mother finally asked him if he was, and he affirmed it. He then went to his coach, Derrick Kellogg, on March 31st, and he told him as well. Finally, Coach Kellogg called a team meeting on April 2nd, where Gordon told his teammates he was gay. But what prompted him to do it?

Derrick Collins, an NBA player at the end of his career, came out publicly in April 2013. When the Brooklyn Nets signed Collins to a 10-day contract(they wound up signing him for the rest of the season) Gordon said that affirmed his decision.
"That was so important to me, knowing that sexuality didn't matter, that the NBA was OK with it."
At this present moment, I would consider Gordon a very borderline NBA prospect. He's 6'3, a shooting guard, one whose stats are underwhelming. In starting all 33 of Massachusetts' games this past year, averaging 9.4 points, 3.5 rebounds, 2 assists, and 1.4 steals per game. When the new itself finally broke nationwide yesterday that Gordon was gay, he had the following to say via Twitter:

I am the first Division 1 male basketball player to come out and not the last. I AM gay. I'm not afraid. I'm not alone.
Personally, i look forward to the day when news such as this is not news. A time when people can be free, open and honest about their sexuality, not worrying what a select few may think of them when they come out, and it doessn't affect their prospects, for better or for worse. Many kudos to Derrick Gordon's teammates for showing maturity and acceptance of Gordon after he shared his sexuality with them:

Said Gordon:
"I just didn't want to hide anymore, in any way. I didn't want to have to lie or sneak. I've been waiting and watching for the last few months, wondering when a Division I player would come out, and finally I just said, 'Why not me?'"

Said Sophomore forward Tyler Bewrgentino, Gordon' roommate these last two years.
"He looked happier, stress-free, like that was the real him. Before, when he would walk into the locker room, there was this cloud around him, like you couldn't quite get to him."

Other teammates to speak were guys such as fellow sophomore guard, Trey Davis;[[2
"We got you, DG. You're one of us."

Next was Junior Center Cody Lalane:
"You're our family. We love you."

And so on went the responses, all positives towards Gordon. If the timing had been different, I would have questioned it slightly. In cases such as Michael Sam and Jason Collins, you can't help but to. Sam is a mid-round defensive end, while Collins is in the twilight of his career. Collins now has a team for the rest of the season in the Brooklyn Nets, a playoff team. Sam, conversely, has been projected by NFL analysts to fall in the draft as the result of this annoucement.

When do you believe that contracts, draft positions, and signability will no longer be an issue in sports?

All other thoughts regarding Gordon, or athletes coming out in general, are
welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back