NFL Draft Hopeful Reveals He's Gay

I've never really understood why the media today looks at this as so important. Its like if someone comes out of the closet they're a hero. I don't have anything against someone for being gay, but I'm just not a fan of the media making such a big deal out of it, when I think its just something that's part of your character. It's not like you see "BREAKING NEWS: Adrian Peterson's favorite color is purple". It just doesn't make much sense to me that people are so focused on someone's sexual orientation that much.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if teams don't want to draft him after this because of the unwanted attention. Hes already supposed to be a mid-late round pick, so it wouldn't surprise me to see him fall further because a team doesn't want that kind of attention.

I've never really understood why the media today looks at this as so important.

It is major news because the general nature in the locker room is that of heterosexual alpha males. It's major news because this is not a retired or end of the road player; it's a player looking to make it in the NFL. A culture of warriors from different races. I would say more than half of the NFL players are religious/spiritual to some degree. Did you not see the whole Incognito/Martin scandal?

It's an interesting development to a tremendous year that Michael Sam had. Here's what happens; some people will applaud him, some will condemn him. In the NFL locker room, some will be uncomfortable and some will be welcoming to Michael Sam. Me, I could care less about his sexual orientation. He seems to be developing into a fantastic defensive end who will help some team. If he's drafted by my team, and he plays well, that's what matters to me.

It's an interesting development to a tremendous year that Michael Sam had.

Look at his stats and when they happened. Most of his sacks happened against garbage teams. Not something that will be overlooked by NFL teams. For him to go undrafted, gay or straight, would not be inconceivable. Throw in the attention he's going to get now and if he's tied with another player on someone's draft board, he's going to lose.

For me, I don't care if someone's gay. Frankly, I wish the world would get over it and not see it as any different than anyone else. But I do have a problem with people coming out publicly in a way that says "look at me, look at me." It's one reason I've never liked Ellen Degeneres. She used her homosexuality to further her career. If homosexuals really want to be equal, using their status to enhance their popularity just seems hypocritical to me. Look at Jim Parsons or Amanda Bearse. They came out and didn't make any sort of a big deal about it. Of course, this is simply my opinion.

You knew eventually someone was going to do this. I just don't like the publicity of it. Sure he's the first one to openly come out, but we all know there are gay players in professional sports already. And I'm sure their fellow players know they are, whether they actually come out to them or not.

A lot of people would say good for him, and I can understand that. A lot of people would condemn him, and I can't understand that. What I can say is that, if we are truly to ever see homosexuals as 100% equal, shouldn't everyone's reaction be along the lines of "ok."?

Look at his stats and when they happened.
Okay...
Most of his sacks happened against garbage teams.
I guess if you consider bowl teams to be garbage teams, then I suppose you can dismiss 5 of his 8 sacks (the other 3 coming against Florida).

You sure do have an interesting definition of garbage though...

He also had 5 tackles against Vanderbilt, 5 solo tackles against South Carolina, 5 against A&M and 3 against Auburn and OK State.

Considering he was part of arguably the best defensive front four in the country, what exactly are you expecting? Furthermore, if you think Michael Sam's stats are bad, I'd hate to know what you think of Jadeveon Clowney, whose stats, in terms of tackles and sacks) are much worse (Sam had 7 more tackles, 8.5 more sacks).

For me, I don't care if someone's gay. Frankly, I wish the world would get over it and not see it as any different than anyone else. But I do have a problem with people coming out publicly in a way that says "look at me, look at me." It's one reason I've never liked Ellen Degeneres. She used her homosexuality to further her career. If homosexuals really want to be equal, using their status to enhance their popularity just seems hypocritical to me. Look at Jim Parsons or Amanda Bearse. They came out and didn't make any sort of a big deal about it. Of course, this is simply my opinion.

You knew eventually someone was going to do this. I just don't like the publicity of it. Sure he's the first one to openly come out, but we all know there are gay players in professional sports already. And I'm sure their fellow players know they are, whether they actually come out to them or not.
I don't think you fully understand the situation here.

Unless you want Michael Sam to hide the fact he's gay, it was going to come out. The moment he starts dating someone, the world would know. So it's not going to matter if he tells people or not, it's going to come out. So why should he not get to control the story? Why should he go into the NFL and, when his story comes out, have his teammates feel like he lied to them?

What I can say is that, if we are truly to ever see homosexuals as 100% equal, shouldn't everyone's reaction be along the lines of "ok."?
I see what you're saying, but you're living in an idealistic world, not in the real world. The real world knows the moment Michael Sam openly dates another man, it would not be a case of the media saying "ok". By coming out first, he controls the narrative, he isn't lying to his NFL teammates and he can live the life he wants.

I can see the logic in him wanting to control the story himself, but beyond that, I dont feel like this matters. There is too much money and too many people's jobs on the line at the NFL level for them to treat someone who is an asset any differently because of this. What I mean is, if his play warrants time on the field, he is gonna be there, and no one will care / think about his orientation. Itll get a lot of discussion over the next week or so, but in this day and age, most stories dont have legs past that. This will be no different.

I don't think you fully understand the situation here.

Unless you want Michael Sam to hide the fact he's gay, it was going to come out. The moment he starts dating someone, the world would know. So it's not going to matter if he tells people or not, it's going to come out. So why should he not get to control the story? Why should he go into the NFL and, when his story comes out, have his teammates feel like he lied to them?

I see what you're saying, but you're living in an idealistic world, not in the real world. The real world knows the moment Michael Sam openly dates another man, it would not be a case of the media saying "ok". By coming out first, he controls the narrative, he isn't lying to his NFL teammates and he can live the life he wants.

I do understand the situation. I understand that the world takes it as a big deal. Call it my idealistic side, but they really shouldn't. And also, if he does start dating another man (without "coming out"), and the media notices, I believe that would truly show that he didn't think coming out was necessary as he didn't see it as that big of a deal.

I understand part of why he did it. Letting something like this come out more naturally (let's say he goes to his NFL team function with a date), would almost be like ambushing your team. I just hope down the road that players don't have to come out at all.

Look at his stats and when they happened.

Slyfox pointed the stats out, but just to add to it, he was voted SEC Defensive Player of the Year, First-team All-SEC, and an All-American. I know the SEC is overrated, but being recognized as being one of the best in that conference does hold weight with many teams.

It's a different atmosphere. Those people are associated to Hollywood. Being a homosexual in that environment has been acceptable for a long time. Michael Sam is entering the NFL. His draft stock has already dropped with the news that he is gay. I do believe some teams will forget the orientation and the media circle that comes with it and take him. He is a talented player who can contribute, unlike Jason Collins who is complete trash as a basketball player.

One thing I will say is it was quite a smart move on his part. Maybe not to some people, but think about it. Did you know who the hell Michael Sam was before he came out? I'm going to be honest, I didn't. But now anyone who even pays attention to sports news, or any news, knows his name. Which means all the teams do too. That helps. It gives him attention, and when it comes to the NFL draft there isn't a such thing as bad attention.

Not only that but Michael Sam is also making history. It's an incredibly smart move whether intentional or not. Some may say it was at the wrong time, but I think it was the perfect time.

As someone who is disgusted at homophobia and definitely supports the homosexual community, I honestly couldn't care less about this story though. Gay or straight there shouldn't be news about it, but hopefully this is a huge step in getting past that in our society.

Once again though it was a fantastic publicity stunt for a young man who's looking to get noticed come draft day.

One thing I will say is it was quite a smart move on his part. Maybe not to some people, but think about it. Did you know who the hell Michael Sam was before he came out? I'm going to be honest, I didn't. But now anyone who even pays attention to sports news, or any news, knows his name. Which means all the teams do too. That helps. It gives him attention, and when it comes to the NFL draft there isn't a such thing as bad attention.

Not only that but Michael Sam is also making history. It's an incredibly smart move whether intentional or not. Some may say it was at the wrong time, but I think it was the perfect time.

As someone who is disgusted at homophobia and definitely supports the homosexual community, I honestly couldn't care less about this story though. Gay or straight there shouldn't be news about it, but hopefully this is a huge step in getting past that in our society.

Once again though it was a fantastic publicity stunt for a young man who's looking to get noticed come draft day.

While the average NFL fan may not have known him, I promise you teams knew about him before this. The scouts for all of these teams work year-round observing players like this, so they knew who he was, and they would have already had a report for him before this was even news.

Yes to the scouts it doesn't change a thing. It's their job to know the ins and outs of all the upcoming players. In fact I'm fairly sure most of them already knew about Sam's sexual orientation. Yet the scouts aren't the ones who make picks are they? Ever see the movie Moneyball? You know the scene early on where Billy Beane is sitting down there talking with all his scouts and advisers, and they're talking about who to cut and who they should draft, and Beane is just sitting there thinking this is all a load of bullshit? Who makes that final call? It's Beane because he's the GM.

Now GMs know his name, coaches, the front office. Everyone, who before normally wouldn't. Some GM could say I want to take that kid higher now. Maybe it'll be a good move to have a young man like that on our roster.

That's what I'm saying, not the scouts. Although his draft stock is dropping, but to me that doesn't make a difference because that draft stock crap is a load of garbage.

The majority (86% I heard on the radio today with Dan Patrick) of players don't care. The owners and GMs/coaches are the old timers stuck in their ways. They see him as a distraction, which he may be, but he's going to boost attendance, jersey sales, and make your team the cool progressive team. A vast majority of people under 30 support equal rights.

I agree that it shouldn't be a big deal. I disagree that the media shouldn't cover it. They should shove it down every bigots throats that the majority of the world supports this until it isn't a big deal. Then we can stop.

He's going to be a great pick up financially and on the field for someone.

Yes to the scouts it doesn't change a thing. It's their job to know the ins and outs of all the upcoming players. In fact I'm fairly sure most of them already knew about Sam's sexual orientation. Yet the scouts aren't the ones who make picks are they? Ever see the movie Moneyball? You know the scene early on where Billy Beane is sitting down there talking with all his scouts and advisers, and they're talking about who to cut and who they should draft, and Beane is just sitting there thinking this is all a load of bullshit? Who makes that final call? It's Beane because he's the GM.

Now GMs know his name, coaches, the front office. Everyone, who before normally wouldn't. Some GM could say I want to take that kid higher now. Maybe it'll be a good move to have a young man like that on our roster.

That's what I'm saying, not the scouts. Although his draft stock is dropping, but to me that doesn't make a difference because that draft stock crap is a load of garbage.
Unfortunately NFL front offices (and NFL fans, commentators, and analysts) don't seem to be as progressive on objective analysis as in MLB. Which is weird, because the NFL is a more progressive league in regards to business.

I think he'll get drafted and end up a steal because some stupid old guy can't get around him being gay.

The majority (86% I heard on the radio today with Dan Patrick) of players don't care. The owners and GMs/coaches are the old timers stuck in their ways. They see him as a distraction, which he may be, but he's going to boost attendance, jersey sales, and make your team the cool progressive team. A vast majority of people under 30 support equal rights.

Here’s what I don’t understand. From what I have seen, some people feel Michael Sam will be a distraction because of the attention he brings. Yet, these people would also probably sign sociopaths, malcontents, and criminals because their talent is off the charts. Some people even tried to defend the actions of Incognito as "boys will be boys". When Jason Collins wasn’t signed, I understood it because Collins sucks and was a fringe bench player at best. This is a different situation for Michael Sam.

I fully expect him to go to the Seahawks and be part of dominant defense and a dynasty for years to come.

Here’s what I don’t understand. From what I have seen, some people feel Michael Sam will be a distraction because of the attention he brings. Yet, these people would also probably sign sociopaths, malcontents, and criminals because their talent is off the charts. Some people even tried to defend the actions of Incognito as "boys will be boys". When Jason Collins wasn’t signed, I understood it because Collins sucks and was a fringe bench player at best. This is a different situation for Michael Sam.

I fully expect him to go to the Seahawks and be part of dominant defense and a dynasty for years to come.

Exactly. I would draft Michael Sam a thousand times before I'd take a chance on someone like Aaron Hernandez, or Pacman Jones. To be fair Jones at least didn't have as bad of a background until after he was drafted, but everyone knew Hernandez had problems, and some teams didn't even have him on the draft board.

Having someone like Michael Sam gives more of a chance to produce good publicity, instead of the bad publicity that would come with drafting someone with a bad history. I'm sure some people thought Manti Te'o was going to be a distraction too, and he worked great in the Chargers locker room. In fact by October I don't think anyone even remember the whole situation with him.

I think just as long as Michael Sam plays great, he'll be praised. The sad thing is once he messes up he'll get crucified much faster than any other player would. The thing is though why would it make a difference? His sexual orientation doesn't change how he plays. It's almost as if we as a country are trying to break the color barrier all over again, which is unfortunate because I thought we've progressed passed that.

Exactly. I would draft Michael Sam a thousand times before I'd take a chance on someone like Aaron Hernandez, or Pacman Jones. To be fair Jones at least didn't have as bad of a background until after he was drafted, but everyone knew Hernandez had problems, and some teams didn't even have him on the draft board.

Having someone like Michael Sam gives more of a chance to produce good publicity, instead of the bad publicity that would come with drafting someone with a bad history. I'm sure some people thought Manti Te'o was going to be a distraction too, and he worked great in the Chargers locker room. In fact by October I don't think anyone even remember the whole situation with him.

I think just as long as Michael Sam plays great, he'll be praised. The sad thing is once he messes up he'll get crucified much faster than any other player would. The thing is though why would it make a difference? His sexual orientation doesn't change how he plays. It's almost as if we as a country are trying to break the color barrier all over again, which is unfortunate because I thought we've progressed passed that.
Missouri is trying to pass a law where parents can pull their kids from classes that teach evolution, a preacher died from a snake bite in a ridiculous ceremony, 1 in 4 Americans think the sun revolves around the earth, and, well, the Tea Party. We haven't evolved much. Although I often wonder where we'd be if we just cut out the south.

I agree about the murderers/criminals sentiments. A Texas news reporter said the same thing. IMO, Michael Sam is going to be good publicity. Butts in seats and jersey sales. Plus it will get out what teams passed on him and then those teams will look like shit.

Coming from a gay mans perspective, I would have hoped a cute white boy or atleast a Tyrese lookin brotha would've come out instead of the mangled mouth man.

Anyway, in some places and times, it takes courage to reveal a part of yourself. But then its done. Back to reality. Being a Chargers fan, I could totally see them drafting him. If he is good at DE, then we could sure use him.

Coming from a gay mans perspective, I would have hoped a cute white boy or atleast a Tyrese lookin brotha would've come out instead of the mangled mouth man.

Anyway, in some places and times, it takes courage to reveal a part of yourself. But then its done. Back to reality. Being a Chargers fan, I could totally see them drafting him. If he is good at DE, then we could sure use him.

Coming from a straight man's perspective, I don't think he looks that bad. Plus he's an athlete so you know he's ripped.

I can definitely see the Chargers going for him. Like you said they need a DE, and also earlier I mentioned his situation is somewhat relatable to the Manti Te'o situation last year, and if the Chargers were willing to go for that they I can definitely see them going for Michael Sam.

Alright, so now that I've actually taken the time to look into Michael Sam, watch him at the combine, observe some of his college material, I can make a fair assumption on him.

I don't see him being a star, or even a great player. He does have the potential to be a good situational player for pass rushing purposes. Would probably make a good Outside Linebacker in a 3-4 scheme on passing downs, but that's about it. Talented pass rusher, and can definitely serve a role to a team who could use a pass rusher.

So, my prediction, the 49ers draft him in the 4th-5th round. They're a team that definitely could use some help on pass rushers, and he could make a solid impact to a championship contending team.

I've got the same opinion on the subject as most of the players who have been asked about it, if the guy can play who the hell cares. There have been gay players in the locker room for ages, its just been more of a matter of don't ask don't tell. Granted that's a little different, but as the NFL has changed over the years such has the general locker room feeling. Now there are always going to be those who disagree with the lifestyle choice, but it seems the smart ones who feel this way are learning it's best to just keep their opinion to themselves.

In the end of the day what matters is how the team plays and if they win, and if a gay player can help them achieve those goals then they should welcome him with open arms. The one thing I have heard is the bigger issue than welcoming a gay player is the extra attention and dare I say favoritism that such a player receives from the media. It is a brave thing that Sam did to come out when he did but because of this he gets extra attention and love from journalists. Not only will that continue to rub others the wrong way but I'd say it's the bigger issue, as long as that dies down after the initial media frenzy and the resurgence when he gets drafted I see no problems past that. I believe the best way Michael Sam can manage this is don't hide who he is and feel open and free to talk about it, but don't let his play speak for the man and athlete he is. He should want to be remembered as the first great openly gay player, not the guy whose claim to fame was simply his sexuality. That's something I look for from every player no matter who they are and what they stand for, and if he does this he'll win the respect of everyone including his naysayers and critics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back