First Round: Greensboro - Taz vs. Rob Van Dam

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Taz

• Rob Van Dam

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round matchup in the Greensboro Subregion. The ring and arena are universal throughout the first round and the organization is not a factor. There is a 20 minute time limit. Vote using any criteria you like. Most votes in the poll at the end of the time period wins. In the case of a tie we will go off of the number of written votes. In the case of a second tie, both are eliminated.

greensboro_coliseum2.jpg

Taz

tazbig.jpg

Vs.

Rob Van Dan

RVD%20point%20to%20self.jpg

Voting is open for 4 days.

taz could wrestle like a maniac on the mat in ecw but when they got to the non hardcore promotion taz did nothing while RVD went on to be a multi time world champ this ones easy for me rvd all the way

ROB VAN DAM!!!!

This match would be all kinds of epic if this was ECW. It will still be top notch despite it not being ECW. The two know each other well and Taz would probably wrestle the hell out of RVD, but RVD brings the speed and athleticism to balance out Taz's wrestling skill and strength. It will be a pretty even match up, but I'm going RVD as I think he is slightly better than Taz and has a better chance at going deep in the tourney.

I'm going with Rob Van Dam in this match. Taz is awesome and a suplex machine, but Taz is kind of stiff wrestler and that always made me change the channel. Now in the other hand RVD is always fun to watch, he always gives it his best in every match. That's why now he is the TNA champion. I say RVD does for the 5 star frong splash and he gets the 1,2,3. winner Rob Van Dam.

I voted for Taz. When they were in the same promotion, it was Taz who was running rampant and winning the top title and RVD that was a popular midcarder. RVD converted that popularity into eventually becoming a WWE champion and now a TNA one, but to be honest, it took him a long time to get there, and the way that Taz became a pretty big deal in WWF when he got there would imply that he may have had such an opportunity. Don't care either way really, but I think Taz is probably better.

RVD and Taz had plenty of matches against each other in ECW. I believe RVD only won one of them, which was supposed to be Taz's last match in the company, but Taz did decisively win the rest.

So, prime vs. prime, I think Taz would win a kayfabe match. However, I'm still not voting for him. Why? Well, for a couple of reasons.

RVD, for one, was the overall better wrestler. He has better matches under his belt, and he was able to be truly successful outside of ECW. Taz, unfortunately, cannot say the same thing (though I fully acknowledge the fact that Taz got screwed over in WWE).

However, more importantly, Taz will now mostly be remembered for being a shitty, chubby commentator. As unfortunate as that is, it's a fact. That will be his legacy. Whereas RVD will go down as one of the best high-flyers and most exciting wrestlers throughout the history of the business. So, it's a pretty easy choice here who should win this match, when you look at it from that perspective.

Still flying high from the RVD win on Monday. One of the better moments on Monday night wrestling in recent memory. However, it's not just because of that that RVD gets the vote. Everywhere he's been, the fans have been way behind him. Obviously he's doing something right. Plus, the high flying offense is always fun. ROLLING THUNDER! Taz was alright, but he's annyoing as hell on commentary, which definetly doesn't help him here.

TAZ. For my tastes he's the better worker. Beat RVD more often than not. As was said before Taz only lost to RVD on his way out of the company. There's no need to bring this into the theoretical as this match happened many times. I'm voting for the Full Time Warrior for the win. Vote TAZ, fuck the world.

Tough one, tough one.

Clearly, Taz wins on kayfabe aspect. I think RVD's legacy is quite larger in pro wrestling, but what happens if Taz doesnt get hurt and fucked over by WWE?

Taz was an absolute fucking monster in ECW, something all too few are aware of. Fuck it, im going with Taz

You know, alot of you are saying that Taz would win in kayfabe because of how he dominated in ECW...but actually, in Taz's last ECW match, he was pinned CLEAN by none other than---you guessed it---Rob Van Dam. Taz holds I believe either 2 or 3 pinfall victories over RVD as well, but RVD holds about the same amount over Taz if I'm remembering correctly, so really it's a wash if you look at it from that perspective.

I want to vote Taz, I really do, because I fucking love Taz and I thought he was one of the best wrestlers on the planet during his ECW prime, he was literally unlike any wrestler I had EVER seen before at that time as a kid and I remember thinking "Fuck, this guy has to be the legit toughest son of a bitch in all of professional wrestling". If it wasn't for fucking Hardcore Holly botching a spot in a shitty hardcore match at Wrestlemania 16, Taz would have gotten the big IC title push that Benoit got in 2000 and who knows, he could have actually been a real main eventer and world champion in the WWE instead of the midcarder and future commentator he became. Fucking Bob Holly, god damn you sloppy motherfucker you ruined what could have been Taz with WWF World gold around his waist! Damn you Sparky!

The right vote, however, is probably Rob Van Dam. He's accomplished more in wrestling over a longer period of time over a wider breadth of talent. That said, I'm still going to vote for Taz, because I imagine he's probably going to lose this one pretty handily. Really can't go wrong with either guy though.

I wanted to vote for Taz, but RVD is just an overall better wrestler and has more longevity than Taz. Sure Taz is a wrestling machine and tough to beat in his prime, but RVD DID beat him in his prime on a few occasions.

Also, RVD's offense is so unique that even if you try to scout him, he's tough to handle. And RVD's a high flier who tries to prevent high risk when he can, but he still takes them and that could be his downfall later on in this thing. But right now, I feel comfortable voting for RVD. And am going to have my hands full convincing you folks that Hansen can beat RVD in the next round.

Tough one, Taz was an incredible submission dude, a machine in the ring, but RVD is an overall incredible highflying talent, who could go with anyone, and made for some incredible matches, gimmick or not, this is a very tough one.

As JMT said himself, Taz won the most of their fights, but RVD is the overall better talent, as I said, this guy can wrestle anyone and look amazing, I loved some of his matches with Jeff Hardy, and his Elimination chamber match in 2002, you cannot deny this guy's greatness, and I must admit I think it's a damn shame that RVD choose to go out of the business for a period where he was red hot.

Only to go to TNA... (no hate, no hate, but RVD would've done so much better if he returned to WWE I would think)

Rob..Van..Dam it is.

If we were basing this only on their time in ECW, then Taz would win this, with no doubt in my mind. But, when you take their whole body of work into it, RVD has been a World Champ in 2 other major companies in addition to appearances with a bunch of indys. Taz didn't do much after his run in ECW. This would be a great match, but RVD takes it.

Too bad Tazz was injured and could not keep going, because the guy could have been a big thing outside of ECW. Even for the size, I think he was potential of being a big talent.

But after ECW, Rob Van Dam has gone on to become one of the most popular guys in wrestling. You have to give him a lot of credit for that. He went on to be a coholder of the ECW and WWE title, went on to win the TNA title just a few weeks ago, and was a MITB winner, and the only guy to cash in in a legitamate match. Mad props for RVD in this one.

Taz's ECW work was off the chain, and when he came to the WWE I was pumped up...thinking he was going to be the same wrecking ball he was in ECW. But they booked him like shit, then he got injured, and became the business' worse announcer. Unfortunately that's all I equate with him now, and I've seen so many great matches now that Taz's don't stand out as much as they did when I saw them back in the day.

Plus, Taz's shitty commentary ruins his wrestling legacy. This is more of a vote against Taz than a vote for RVD.

RVD has longevity on his side but I prefer Taz' level of work. When they were in ECW together, it was pretty clear that RVD, while hella over, was the backup singer. Taz would wrestle circles around RVD..

Ok, I get it. RVD has been, currently is, and probably always will be a great performer. But I will always consider him nothing more than a spot monkey will a cult following due to the popularity of his catchy 4:20 phrases and high-flying moveset.

Now, I remember when Taz became big in ECW. While I wasn't a fan of ECW (mostly due to not being able watch their televised shows in my area due to lack of availability), the first breakout star that I ever heard of from the promotion was Taz. Once Taz got in my head, so did ECW. So I went out to the store and tried to buy up everything I could find on Taz's matches in ECW... and it impressed the hell out of me. Ironically, one of the matches I saw was Taz vs. RVD and I witnessed Taz gaining the victory (I wish I could remember when it was from).

My memories contain Taz as being the ultimate wrestler in ECW. He was a short, stocky firecracker that would toss the heavyweights around like they were potato sacks via suplexes all over the ring. I could never comprehend where he got his power and agility for being such a short guy, but being that I'm not so tall, I felt like I could always relate to him. He opened my eyes to a brand new wrestling promotion and entertained the shit out of me.

So, because I was always a mark for Taz (and because I have always despised RVD), I'm voting for Taz and hope all of you do the same.

I voted for Taz. When they were in the same promotion, it was Taz who was running rampant and winning the top title and RVD that was a popular midcarder.

For what this is worth, while Taz held the ECW Championship when it meant something. Rob Van Dam - the "popular midcarder" as you put it, was actually the face of the Franchise, more over than Taz ever could've been.

Van Dam was more talented inside the ring, albeit Taz is by far no slug. Van Dam put on more match classics, albeit once again Taz is almost equally amazing. The point I will get to is this, however..

Rob Van Dam was MAIN EVENTING Pay per views, as a "midcard Champion" and even a regular Superstar with NO title.. over Heavyweight title matches. On more than a couple shows.

While Taz may have had victories over RVD, it was their final match which should be seen as when both were "Prime". And for those who say.. Taz had to lose, he was leaving. Uhm, Tazz (yeah, double Z with the WWE) won the ECW title while NOT with the Company, from Mike Awesome. (who signed with WCW)

So, while I'm sure they would've had anyone beat someone defecting to WCW.. the fact that had a guy like Taz do it, even though he wasn't with the Company, shows me that they didn't have RVD win because Taz was leaving back when.. more so because they viewed RVD as better.

Rob Van Dam because he's the TNA Heavyweight Champion while Taz is just a TNA commentator.

In ECW they are even match-ups. Both very popular with the crowd and while they have very different styles, both evenly matched. Outside of ECW, RVD has accomplished much more. He is the bigger star, put on better matches against bigger names.

Taz gives RVD a beating which RVD sells perfectly, but ultimately Van Dam wins with a Five Star Frog Spash.

Rob Van Dam because he's the TNA Heavyweight Champion while Taz is just a TNA commentator.

What kind of stupid, dumb-ass logic is this??? This is the reason why this tournament gets fucked up every year.

We're not supposed to be judging these guys because of their present job positions. These polls are supposed to have winners determined by who you believe is the biggest superstar throughout the entire stretch of their careers. You should view the wrestlers at their highest of high points and compare that to their opponents'.

Ugh... the stupidity...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back