Second Round: Greensboro - Andre the Giant vs. Rey Mysterio

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Andre the Giant

• Rey Mysterio

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a second round matchup in the Greensboro Subregion. The ring and arena are universal throughout the first round and the organization is not a factor. There is a 20 minute time limit. Vote using any criteria you like. Most votes in the poll at the end of the time period wins. In the case of a tie we will go off of the number of written votes. In the case of a second tie, both are eliminated. Assume one week has passed since the first match.

Andre the Giant

andre-girls.jpg

Vs.

Rey Mysterio

rey-mysterio-photograph-c12233391.jpeg

Voting is open for 4 days.

Poor Rey.

Wait, what am I saying? I don't like him.

But still, this is such an unfair fight. It's like the "one-sided fights" segments on Robot Chicken.

Everytime WCW or WWE tried to put Rey over an SHW to give him the "Giant Killer" look, he always looked ridiculous, and it made the bigger guys look very weak. Other times, he just gets squashed.

Mysterio was bitch-slapped by the Great Khali, manhandled by The Undertaker, tossed like a rag doll by Kevin Nash, etc.

Andre used to wrestle 3 normal sized wrestlers at a time. I understand that Rey is not a jobber, but he's also not normal sized. He's tiny. He still looks like he is 12. And he can stick and move and sting all he wants - eventually, Andre with either catch or punch him. And once that happens, Rey isn't getting up.

Just the worst possible match up for Rey Rey. Both guys careers are largely based around their size relative to their opponents (Andre much bigger, Rey much smaller). Rey's storylines almost all revolve around him trying to conquer a much bigger opponent, but in the end, Rey typically ends up losing. And there ain't no bigger man then Andre the Giant. Kayfabe, not only would Andre win, it would be a virtual squash.

Non-kayfabe, Andre is a much bigger draw in America and Japan, while Rey is bigger in Mexico. Their work (in their primes) was both very solid, if different styles, although Rey's is obviously more aesthetically speaking to most IWC members. Andre is a more historically important figure. Vote Andre. Vote often.

Alright, I'll bite.

Mysterio was bitch-slapped by the Great Khali, manhandled by The Undertaker, tossed like a rag doll by Kevin Nash, etc.

He's also lasted over an hour during the Royal Rumble, which he happened to win. He's defeated Kane, JBL (who is a relatively 'big' guy), and Kevin Nash before. He's a former WHC, multi tag-team and CW champ as well.

Andre used to wrestle 3 normal sized wrestlers at a time. I understand that Rey is not a jobber, but he's also not normal sized. He's tiny. He still looks like he is 12. And he can stick and move and sting all he wants - eventually, Andre with either catch or punch him. And once that happens, Rey isn't getting up.

I don't see how looks has to deal with anything. You also have to realize that Andre was a terribly slow moving man, while Mysterio has the speed and stamina of a decathalon athlete. Andre was a side-show, only a good draw because of his great size. Mysterio helped kickstart some of the greatest wrestling that we will have ever witnessed - lucha libre - into the US. Mysterio is a face of CW's, and Andre's slow moving body wouldn't have a chance against a man who is the greatest little man on the planet.

Christ on a cracker...lol this is about as bad of a draw as Rey Mysterio could ever get and is probably as close to David vs. Goliath as we've ever seen. Oh man...I just...I mean..Mysterio is in so much trouble that I hardly even know where to begin.

In his prime, Andre the Giant was nearly unstoppable. He had size, strength and was extremely damn quick for a man his size. I've seen old matches of Andre the Giant in which he honestly looks downright graceful. He was an altogether different animal in 1975 than he was in 1985. Any offense that Mysterio could muster would be like a mosquito attacking an elephant and would have about as much impact as said mosquito. Even when Andre was huge, slow and could barely move, his sheer weight would be all he'd need against Mysterio.

Kayfabe, Andre was 7'4" and over 500 pounds the last years of his life. Even if he was only around the 7' mark, it's just too much of a size advantage for Mysterio to overcome. I mean...damn...I admire Mysterio's guts in the ring. I admire his tenacity and the fact that he'll take on anybody. But, he's up against a man that was once one of the true juggernauts of pro wrestling. This match is over in 2 minutes, sooner if Andre gets hold of Rey. Anyone trying to make a case for Mysterio...I mean....yeah, good luck with that.

While Rey does have the tendency to always put a good fight against big men, he also has been destroyed by big men. He might put up a good fight every now then, but there are times where he has been dominated by men bigger than him. Khali, Kane, and Big Show have all got the best of Rey, and I don't see why Andre wouldn't. Andre might not be as Mobile or fast as Rey, but all it takes is one good shot from The Giant, and Rey will be down for the count.

Andre wins this one, and I don't think this match up should even be close.

There are several things that play a factor in voting, and even if you don't like the whole kayfabe thing, it still plays a small part in the whole equation, at least that's how I voted. In the kayfabe world, Andre would beat Rey 1,000 out of 1,000 times. The size difference is just too much. When Rey was the IC champ last year he got absolutely manhandled by Big Show. It was like a 30 second match. No way Andre loses here. I don't even need to pull out any Princess Bride clips either.

Alright, I'll bite.

Well, you bit. I don't feel nearly as bad for what I must do.

He's also lasted over an hour during the Royal Rumble, which he happened to win.

Sigh. People say this as to believe that Andre didn't last long in the ring. The man typically had hour long matches, when needed. I harped on it all last round, but Andre in his prime was in fantastic shape.

He's defeated Kane,

At a point where Kane was busy making people look good. This isn't the Kane of old. There's hardly anything impressive about that win.

JBL (who is a relatively 'big' guy),

See above.

and Kevin Nash before.

I'm sorry, did you ever watch that match between Mysterio and Nash? It was basically a fluke win; it really was. It was a squash until Mastrio countered the jacknife for the feel good win. As soon as Nash took Mysterio seriously, he squashed him at that year's Uncensored.

He's a former WHC,

So, he got a reign that was rightfully meant for Eddie, and wound up being one of the worst heavyweight champions of all time. Still doesn't equal half of what Andre did for the business.

multi tag-team and CW champ as well.

I'm sorry, Andre was too busy wiping his ass with those belts. Again, I doubt pointing to Rey's CW Title reigns is going to do a whole lot of good. I'll take Andre's drawing power over Rey's ability to do the flippy flip.

I don't see how looks has to deal with anything. You also have to realize that Andre was a terribly slow moving man, while Mysterio has the speed and stamina of a decathalon athlete.

Again, clearly the words of a man who's only seen Andre post Wrestlemania 3. In his prime, Andre was as quick as he needed to be. Do yourself a favor and watch some footage before Andre's crippling back injury.

Andre was a side-show, only a good draw because of his great size.

Again, I really do hate this argument. Just because the man had size, does not make him a circus show. And besides, need I point out how many "side shows" Rey has lost to in his career? Read; The Great Khali, Mark Henry, Scott fricking Norton, for God's sake. The fact is that Andre was the star of professional wrestling, and was the reason that pro wrestling even got some sort of publicity. Andre proved that wrestling could be mainstream.

Mysterio helped kickstart some of the greatest wrestling that we will have ever witnessed - lucha libre - into the US.

Now, this i'll give you credit for. Yes, he was responsible for the slow deterioration of psychology as we know it. Because, simply enough, it was the cruiserweight's coming to WCW that caused for the matches that didn't make a lick of sense. Sure, it was entertainment, but it also lacked a cohesive story. So yes, Rey helped kickstart the death of ring psychology. Woo....

Mysterio is a face of CW's,

Great, Andre was a face for all of professional wrestling, and still is, not just one aspect of professional wrestling.

and Andre's slow moving body wouldn't have a chance against a man who is the greatest little man on the planet.

Sigh. Again, yes, Rey's quicker, but Andre in his prime was nowhere near as immobile as you make him out to be. Vote Andre, because it's just right to do.

Alright, I'll bite.

He's also lasted over an hour during the Royal Rumble, which he happened to win. He's defeated Kane, JBL (who is a relatively 'big' guy), and Kevin Nash before. He's a former WHC, multi tag-team and CW champ as well.

I don't see how looks has to deal with anything. You also have to realize that Andre was a terribly slow moving man, while Mysterio has the speed and stamina of a decathalon athlete. Andre was a side-show, only a good draw because of his great size. Mysterio helped kickstart some of the greatest wrestling that we will have ever witnessed - lucha libre - into the US. Mysterio is a face of CW's, and Andre's slow moving body wouldn't have a chance against a man who is the greatest little man on the planet.

Why does it matter that he lasted over a hour in the Royal Rumble and won? The biggest guys in that match were Big Show, Kane, and Viscera. Did Rey put any of them out? No he didn't. Kane and JBL lost to Shawn Michaels and CM Punk who aren't that much bigger than Rey but I would say that could beat Andre. No I don't.

The Andre of the 70's was not a slow moving man in his prime. Andre is not going to be stupid enough to catch Mysterio if Rey goes to the outside in hopes that Andre gets counted out. All Mysterio has to do is try one high-risk move and The Giant will catch him and it will be all over from there.

I love mysterio but theres no way anybody should put him over the giant thats like a chihuaua fighting a pitbull the same result happens over and over again. i know rey was "the giant killer" but did you ever really think he could beat those guys.

Vote Andre

Damn is this even remotely arguable?

Andre would absolutely squash Rey Mysterio, while Rey may be the giant killer, the ultimate underdog yada yada yada, he doesn't stand a chance against Andre, be it influence wise, be it legacy, be it kayfabe etc.

Rey Mysterio will not be able to defeat Andre, and that's a fact, he wouldn't be able to sway around the stuff that would get Andre on the ground or onto the second rope.

Andre wins this one, by a long shot, squash match if you ask me.

Hmmmm.

From a kayfabe sense, this could be the biggest mismatch in the history of professional wrestling. For any wrestling fans who enjoy watching little guys get absolutely killed by giants, this would be your match. Wow.

But beings I'm not really doing kayfabe in my voting for the most part, I guess I should try to debate with myself on talent and impact on the business and thus who was the greater wrestler.

But ummm, yeah that's not really much of a debate either. A slightly better debate than a kayfabe match, but not much.

I love Mysterio and feel he has been one of the most influential and innovative wrestlers of the last 15 years on the American scene of pro wrestling. He's a great wrestler for his exciting style, his many classic/great matches, his drawing ability (him and Guerrero pretty much kickstarted the Latino market for Smackdown), merchandise sales. He's one of the greats of the modern era. I think his dismal world championship reign has made many people lose sight of that. Everyone from marks to smarks loved Mysterio before he became champion. Then all of a sudden he's one of the worst wrestlers in the world? Riggggghhhhttttttt. Now that's he's mainstream (by becoming the champion and reaching the top) and loved by kids, now it's cool to hate him, like Cena. Mmmm hmmm. :rolleyes:

But he's up against Andre the Giant here, who is one of the most recognized and iconic wrestlers in history. Andre's place in wrestling history puts him easily in the top 10 wrestlers of all-time. Mysterio could make the top 100 I think, but I don't think he'd even make the top 10 in the last 20 years, let alone of all-time.

So ummm, Andre wins this in a landslide no matter what manner you're voting in, be it kayfabe match or impact/overall greatness.

Rey, it was nice knowing you. Mysterio doesn't deserve to win this. Yes he'd put up one hell of a fight but he's facing Andre the Giant. The man who was undefeated until he fought Hogan. Andre is going to have one hell of a fight here (and with Austin) but he's without doubt the deserved winner. If Rey can lose against guys like Mark Henry and The Great Khali when HE WAS WORLD CHAMPION then there's no way he deserves to get past Andre.

Vote Andre

I know Mysterio has the reputation of being a giantkiller, and it is deserved, but if we're honest, he's never beaten anyone of the stature or importance that Andre had. In the US, I think Jake Roberts, Warrior, Savage and Hogan are the only ones who ever had a singles win over Andre. Mysterio doesn't belong in the same list as the latter three, and Roberts won because Andre had beef with the special referee, which this match doesn't have, so I cannot see any legit reason for Rey to take this.

In all honesty, this isn't even the slightest bit on the close side. Andre the Giant is just too big and too strong for Rey Mysterio to have even a snowballs chance in hell of winning this. Rey is something like 5'7" and 160 lbs. Kayfabe wise he flits around the ring and stings at Andre, who may or may not(depending on his mood) sell for him as best as he can, but just as soon as Mysterio even thinks about taking to the air, he's caught and he's done. I'm not 100% sure of the exact numbers, but I don't think Andre jobbed 20 times in his near 30 years as a pro. It's not going to happen here against a man he outweighs by 300 pounds.

Vote Andre.

As one sided as you get. Rey Mysterio's a man who has the heart of a 7 footer, but isn't actually a seven footer. Andre the Giant would toy with Rey and eventually put him away, go drink tons of wine and throw tables at walls or some shit.

Andre was something else during his day. He was agile before his giantism caught up with him. And not many people could control Andre. And a 5'4, 175 lb. Luchador will stand very little chance against him.

And if the Great Khali can squash Rey, Andre the Giant would tuck him in his pocket and try to use him as currency.

It's Andre The Giant. By exactly 10 miles.

This matchup is hilarious.

The Big Show was tossing Rey Rey around like a rag doll on Smackdown for some time and Andre just defeated the Big Show.

Do the math, people. Vote for Andre.

I'm pretty sure there is a law of physics that dictates that you can not physically dominate someone who can literally eat you in less then 3 bites. Joking around aside, the only way Andre would lose this match is if the police arrested him for assaulting a minor. Kayfabe or not, Andre takes it in the most one sided match of this tournament.

I am going with Andre Rey may have beat giants in the past. But he never faced Andre size. I see this match as rey gets some offense in then hits the 619 Andre is wobbling. Rey jumps on the rope Andre Catches him and Chokeslam him straight to the mat for the 1.2.3.

Mysterio is great and everything, but he cant defeat this giant at all. Andre is so huge that he will squash Rey like a bug. Mysterio might get some hits and some kicks, but Andre will dominate through out the whole 3 minutes of the match. Vote for Andre the Giant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back