Hatton vs Pacquiao

The Todd

Championship Contender
The Hitman has his second attempt at being named pound for pound king by taking on the impressive Phillipine Manny Pacquiao.

After his defeat to Mayweather, it was debated whether he would ever be the same again. He has won his following bouts but hasn't looked the Ricky Hatton of old. Now he has the chance to prove himself as the best in the world.

The fight is taking place at 140lbs, where Hatton has never lost. Pacquiao started life as a flyweight and is fighting at his fourth different weight in his last four fights.

This fight will be very different for Hatton in one aspect. He has never fought a fight in his life where he wasn't the crowd favourite. He is a hero in England for his boxing and many Mancunians will travel to Vegas to see him as per usual. However, he is fighting a man who is a GOD in his own country. His countrymen will be ferociously backing him.

If Hatton loses, the English public wil be disappointed but will soon get over it with a pint and a curry. If Manny loses, the Phillipines will be in mourning.

Considering this is every bit as big in Boxing terms as Hatton - Mayweather (two of the best in the world going head to head) it has not got the same publicity. Hatton Mayweather was HUGE. Half the people I knew, even those who hate boxing, found a may to watch Hatton Mayweather. These same people don't know a fight is taking place in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Finally, predictions? Can the Hitman do it? He has a height advantage, and is considered the best light welterweight in the world, but Pacquiao will be his sternest test at this weight. If Hatton can work the ribs he has the power to put Manny down but Pacquiao is incredibly quick. Hatton's new defensive skills will get a thorough examination here.

As a betting man, my money is on Pacquiao. Whatever happens, it should be a classic.

Manny Pacquiao was just too quick and too strong for Hatton to handle. He got knocked down twice in the first round alone and then got knocked out in the second round due to a sweet left hook.

I have just been on the BBC Sport website and it's saying that "Hatton will contemplate his future". Hatton hasn't fully recovered from losing to Mayweather and I think he should retire as he has done everything except be the best pound-for-pound fighter and he should be proud of his career

Gool old AFC1986, glag to see this thread got one reply. Since no one is reading this I'll keep it short and sweet.

Hatton has showed he isn't among the elite in the world of boxing, but he has done something a lot of so-called great boxers fail to do, put his reputation on the line in fights he is the underdog. He could have settled for being an unbeaten light-welterweight, but he called out Mayweather and Pacquiao.

Yes he got resoundly beat but his fans will still love him. Us Brits love a glorious failure and now Hatton can be added to the list. Yes, it is time to hang the gloves up, but his career is still worth a hell of a lot. Two defeats in 47 to two of the best of all time is hardly a disgrace.

Well done Pacquiao though. What a true sporting legend that man is. Hopeful now for him versus Mayweather. Purely so Pacquiao can shut him it.

So much for short and sweet. Ah well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back