If WWE Stays with USA, Will Spike TV Keep TNA?

Robert Roode Fan

Occasional Pre-Show
The wwe looks like they are going to stay with NBC. With this they will not sign with viacom.

I sure hope this increses the chances that tna will stay in buisness. Let's be honest if spike drops tna, then they are done. I am guessing most people here are tna fans. I am pro wrestling fan who has been given may different great moments by this company, epically in 2005-2010, middle 2011-2012 so many great moments.

To be honest I do still fear for this company. I do not want it go under. It will screw over so many great talents. I want tna to become good again like most of you do. I hope spike keeps tna on the air.

I hate all of the arguments why tna should go under. None of them are good. The worst one is that more famous companies went under so should tna. That is horrible, just because those companies died does not mean should. What cause more heartbreak, does no one any good.

Well, I couldn't blame Spike for dropping TNA. TNA is simply not real good and will probably go under.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:worship: RVD, CM Punk, and Chris Jericho

Why should it it would kill the careers of many wrestlers. Robert Roode's, James Strom's strength is mic skills. They will not be relevant at all in the indy scene, it is wrestling. Why does more pain need to happen, to many companies have gone under. Without a mid level promotion you will be stuck with compaines like wwe where most of the time it sucks, or ROH where they don't cut promos.

Since when does ROH not cut promos? Do you watch the current ROH product, Or are you basing this on clips that you see on youtube? Who says WWE sucks most of the time, you seem to be confusing opinions with facts.

Yeah, it would suck if TNA got dropped by Spike, there's a lot of good talent there, but if it does indeed happen, you can only point the finger at so many things before you have to stop, and look at yourself in the mirror.

Maybe if the fans tuned in to the show, bought the tickets and made sold out crowds, things wouldn't look so bleak, if more than 1,000 people went to a goddamn PPV there wouldn't be questions like this. If the fans were more loyal to the product that they so called care about, they would be a lot better off.

And before you get on your high horse and label me a quote on quote "wwe guy", i'll have you know I watch ROH, WWE, and TNA religiously, and when I have the money, I go to the shows, i buy the merch, i tune in and watch the programming, I support the product that I care about, I don't just sit on a fucking forum and complain about it. the fact remains that not a lot of "fans" do. If that was the case they would be in a better looking position then they are now. You don't believe me? watch Lockdown, watch the Tv tapings, how many roped off seats do you see? All that shows, is people who don't care about the product, that's what management sees, and that's what the network sees in conjunction with their lousy ratings.

And word to the OP, this isn't a headshot towards you, but the general TNA fan who think their shit don't stink and think they are better than wwe without giving rhyme or reason

Since when does ROH not cut promos? Do you watch the current ROH product, Or are you basing this on clips that you see on youtube? Who says WWE sucks most of the time, you seem to be confusing opinions with facts.

Yeah, it would suck if TNA got dropped by Spike, there's a lot of good talent there, but if it does indeed happen, you can only point the finger at so many things before you have to stop, and look at yourself in the mirror.

Maybe if the fans tuned in to the show, bought the tickets and made sold out crowds, things wouldn't look so bleak, if more than 1,000 people went to a goddamn PPV there wouldn't be questions like this. If the fans were more loyal to the product that they so called care about, they would be a lot better off.

And before you get on your high horse and label me a quote on quote "wwe guy", i'll have you know I watch ROH, WWE, and TNA religiously, and when I have the money, I go to the shows, i buy the merch, i tune in and watch the programming, I support the product that I care about, I don't just sit on a fucking forum and complain about it. the fact remains that not a lot of "fans" do. If that was the case they would be in a better looking position then they are now. You don't believe me? watch Lockdown, watch the Tv tapings, how many roped off seats do you see? All that shows, is people who don't care about the product, that's what management sees, and that's what the network sees in conjunction with their lousy ratings.

Roh does not put a emashis on mic work. That is were Bobby Roode and James Storm create most of their magic. They are good wrestlers, but no A+ wrestlers and therefore would not only lose another chance to be "world champions", they would go from main event guys i a mid level company to mid card guys in a minor company, that really sucks.

By the way good post.

I have my doubts if TNA could get a big tv deal if Spike dropped them, but have to remember Spike was a very popular channel at the time TNA joined them, and has since went to hell and lost UFC to Fox, so who knows I think TNA could get a deal with Fox as well and could be far better then Spike, as I don't think Cops reruns is going to bring in the viewers. Who knows Spike dropping TNA could be a good thing or bad thing. No idea when that deal comes up though.

I think it would be fantastic if TNA could get on another network, they would certainly have more opportunities and possibly a generally wider audience, if as mentioned above they landed FOX. But you have to figure that they would have to do a lot better with their product before the big time comes knockin on their door, I WILL say though that it looks as if they are rounding the corner, I have loved the product since Genesis. Isn't CMLL or AAA coming to national tv as well though? could be some competition.

EDIT: Their Wrestle-1 joint venture could help them in the long run.

There is no hope for TNA, its SOOOOOO SAD. Lucha Libre Wrestling is coming to ameriv=ca, and so is JEff Jarretts new promotion that will do fantastically well. TNA had their shot, they bew it, but at least they are big over seas and maybe have an internet only show, and do ippvs like czw. that would be cool.

TNA wouldn't be able to survive on an internet only basis. They are definitely bigger than CZW and couldn't sustain salaries for their wrestlers like that. How do you know JJ's new fed wont be a bust?

wow, you are a tool, and apparently its YOU who is confusing OPINIONS WITH FACTS, maybe you should check your post and look at the inconsistencies of it before you make an ass out of yourself mr, "pipebomb" you didnt even answer the topic, gave no constructive opinion and just plain suck, just like wwe and wmxxx. lockdown almost had a full house you complete fool, NO ONE AGREES WITH YOU

There is no hope for TNA, its SOOOOOO SAD. Lucha Libre Wrestling is coming to ameriv=ca, and so is JEff Jarretts new promotion that will do fantastically well. TNA had their shot, they bew it, but at least they are big over seas and maybe have an internet only show, and do ippvs like czw. that would be cool.

Batista's shriveled cock. That just about sums up these two posts perfectly.

To answer the OP, I doubt Spike will drop TNA and I doubt TNA would go out of business if they did. There's a lot of other networks, there's the Internet, and there's going back to weekly PPV if necessary. There's really no reason to think they would close.

But something needs to change. It's been, what, 7 years since they improved in any appreciable way? I don't want to see them go out of business but they do need a complete overhaul in how the company is run.

So far WWE has kept quiet about a tv deal So nobody knows from us fans who WWE is going to sign with With all probability Vince will stay with NBC because its the easiest thing to do without dealing with new network heads

AMC much like Disney have been the two most active acquisition entertainment companies in the last five years
I don't think TNA will sign with Spike TV but will get a deal with AMC
AMC has recently said they want pro wrestling on their network
Comic Books and wrestling have a huge crossover
AMC is also looking to buy up other comic book stories to make into tv shows
If TNA lands on AMC I expect Jeff Jarrett's new promotion may sign their as well
AMC has even mentioned making a deal with NJPW if they can other wrestling promotions to be carried on AMC
If AMC call pull this off they will directly be competing with USA and will bury USA Network
The ratings per new episode AMC destroys USA Network

If WWE doesn't sign with Viacom and as long as the TNA brass keeps the same deal with Spike they currently have when the time to negotiate a new deal, I'd say TNA will stick around with Spike. Also, if WWE doesn't sign with Viacom and TNA wants more money during contract time, I think they might be in trouble. Given the financial woes that have been so heavily covered & reported and that their ratings don't often get to or exceed 1.0 anymore, I don't see how they could afford to play hardball with Spike even if they want to.

IF Spike was to drop TNA, it could be the end of the company. Strictly as a layman, I have trouble believing that the TNA brand is something that's particularly in demand or strong. As a result, I don't really see other networks fighting one another to sign the company to a TV deal. Spike is as available in as many homes as the USA Network, but they don't have a particularly strong line up, especially during prime time. I suppose it's possible for Fox to sign them, but I don't see it happening, especially not on Fox Sports 1. Considering TNA doesn't deliver big numbers, I doubt very much it'd be a priority against UFC, MLB, NASCAR, etc.

If TNA was to lose its TV deal with Spike, I think the most realistic avenue would be to attempt to sign some kind of syndication TV deal like ROH has.

If WWE signs with anyone other than Viacom, TNA has nothing to worry about.

However if WWE does sign with Viacom, then TNA has A LOT to worry about.

So who knows . . . personally, if TNA does go out of business, the talent really doesn't have much to worry about considering Jeff Jarrett's promotion is opening in January and CMLL/AAA is coming to American television. Not to mention, some of the top tier guys will probably be able to find a home in the WWE (Joe, Aries, Roode, etc.).

If anything, before TNA goes out of business, Jarrett and Keith will buy it. Don't know what they would do with it though, if they already have their other promotion.

Regardless of their rating comparative to WWE, TNA is still Spike TV's highest rated show. Mid to low level cable stations, like Spike TV, do not cancel their highest rated show. Period.

TNA will not disappear because Spike doesn't want them, if they do disappear it will be because Dixie's Mom finally talked Dixie's Dad into no longer funding them.

As for WWE signing with Viacom, I think theres a lot of cable stations that would love to have a TNA. An established program that has two hours of original content every week for 52 weeks a year and pulls a consistent .8 to 1.2 rating and skews male 18 to 54. I read TBS is possibly looking to get back into the wrestling business and theres FXX, CMTV and of course USA, among others, that would all have at least a look if TNA became available.

If TNA loses Spike,then that will be pretty much the end of TNA.. They barely draw a 1.0,not good numbers at all... They better not think of playing hardball,they would lose that case in a heartbeat. I doubt very much if they could survive on a syndication deal similar to what ROH has. TNA IMO and thats my opinion only,their barely hanging on by a thread.

Its pretty much boom or bust for TNA at this point.. They have not made any significant,strides in 7 years or so.. Yah they signed MVP,but what is his capacity? Truly i think the reason is to grab an easy paycheck and do next to nothing.. I mean why did MVP not go back to the WWE? Just an example.. They can forget about signing with fox sports. They have the UFC,NFL,MLB,NASCAR.. No one is going to buy their weekly PPVs at 10 a pop,not with the WWE network offering all the PPVs for 9.99 a month. TNA is in severe dire straits IMO.

Plus Spike is not as strong as is used to be.. they have lost a lot of programming over the years.. Plus during primetime they cant compete not really anyway

Hate to interrupt the great argument I see happening but I doubt Spike will drop TNA anytime soon. The ratings are still good enough and considering they have tried to tie ther wrestling and mma shows together, getting rid of one would seem odd. Only thing i could see happening is that if Jeff Jarrett gets his ducks in a row for his promotion and if he has enough connections at Spike, maybe they dump TNA for him but even that is a long shot in my mind.

As for TNA and if they have any talent, etc - enough already people, you know they have some talent there. Not bring in WWE doesn't mean you are a horrible wrestler. Vince has passed on a lot of wrestlers who found success and even some of his biggest stars - HBK, Austin,Cena - only became big by accident as Vince didn't really see them being stars. So enough bashing the talent already - the show may not be what you like but the talent is busting their ass trying to give WWE a little competition.

I can't see why SpikeTV would drop TNA, unless SpikeTV picked up WWE programming. TNA doesn't have to be great television to stay on Spike, because Spike isn't going to do much better with anything else.

SpikeTV (and many other cable channels) work on the following premise- a couple of popular programs ("tentpole" programs) bring viewers into the network, where they are exposed to advertising for the rest of the network's programming. In SpikeTV's case, this is for cheaply thrown together programs like "1,000 Ways To Die"- programs that cost almost nothing to produce, and are pure profit for the network.

Spike has Bellator and TNA for their tentpole programs, and unless Spike wants to kill the golden goose (well, silver goose), they aren't about to put Bellator on in prime-time five nights a week. Spike needs TNA; but TNA needs Spike more. This allows Spike the leverage in contract negotiations, up until the point where TNA says "this deal no longer benefits us". It won't get there, because Spike needs TNA to fill a time slot.

If you want to get worried about Spike dropping TNA, that time will be when Spike TV brings in another major tentpole program (or the WWE, which would be a direct replacement for TNA). Having another content producer to go to would weaken TNA's negotiation leverage to the point where SpikeTV would no longer need to cut the deal that TNA would need to stay in business.

It's a marriage of convenience for both parties right now.

Other thing to remember is ratings vs costs. TNA may not get the ratings of a Raw but they also cost a lot less. With the amount of shows made over the years, you could create your own channel just using reruns of shows but it comes down to cost - it is far cheaper to put on Night Court and All In The Family than Friends and Seinfeld. Same here - what do they replace it with that will get similar ratings but not cost anymore? Plus TNA is first-run, not reruns. If they had something to replace it with, then I am sure they would but the cost is a big thing. Look at how many times they play the Star Wars movies - got to get your money's worth.

If WWE stays with their current TV provider, then I could totally see Spike TV keeping TNA. It gets decent ratings compared to some of their other shows, although it isn't nearly WWE level of ratings. Of course, TNA isn't as well established as WWE so that is a given.

To me, I have always thought that Spike hasn't promoted TNA well enough. Part of that blame falls on TNA for not making their product unique enough to stand out. Still, if Spike gets rid of TNA I could see them shopping around and finding another TV deal. Wrestling is still relatively popular so even if it were to a lesser network, TNA would probably still be around. I just hope they wind up selling TNA to a better leader because Dixie Carter sure as hell isn't it.

I honestly think TNA is dead in the water, this is like the dying days of ECW, where Paul was calling former talent to help save his ass (remember when Taz won the ECW title) why do I feel this? your bringing in more B list talent rather than utilizing guys you needed to save, AJ was in your 3 most talented pool and he's gone, I have watched ROH more then TNA just because of this...

The talent you do have is still not getting the right accolades, I give you credit for trying to build talent, but most people won't give a shit about a Magnus because Magnus never beat anyone special or had that IT match.

Bobby Roode isn't getting a big push, EY is getting a shot too late, and the guys you wanted to bank on like Angle, Hardy, and anyone else that was relegated from WWE has a foot out the door.

I am honestly more excited in watching Billy Corgan get an AMC shot, or Jeff Jarrett get his promotion off the ground, ROH get momentum on syndicated TV or hell I rather watch NXT before I watch TNA at this point. I had even went to a TNA event when RVD was there was backstage at our hometown, got autographs and met with my namesake Ric Flair, Scott Steiner, Bubba Ray, RVD, Jeff Hardy, AJ Styles, fast forward to just 2 years later, and they couldn't draw 300 fans, hell ECW sold out the same damn arena, WCW sold out the same arena but TNA couldn't draw 300 fans...

its a matter of time and I think its time to turn off the ventilator and let TNA go where it belongs buried because honestly they fucked around with their main event guys for so long no takes Somoa Joe or anyone else relevant anymore

I honestly think TNA is dead in the water, this is like the dying days of ECW, where Paul was calling former talent to help save his ass (remember when Taz won the ECW title) why do I feel this? your bringing in more B list talent rather than utilizing guys you needed to save, AJ was in your 3 most talented pool and he's gone, I have watched ROH more then TNA just because of this...

The talent you do have is still not getting the right accolades, I give you credit for trying to build talent, but most people won't give a shit about a Magnus because Magnus never beat anyone special or had that IT match.

Bobby Roode isn't getting a big push, EY is getting a shot too late, and the guys you wanted to bank on like Angle, Hardy, and anyone else that was relegated from WWE has a foot out the door.

I am honestly more excited in watching Billy Corgan get an AMC shot, or Jeff Jarrett get his promotion off the ground, ROH get momentum on syndicated TV or hell I rather watch NXT before I watch TNA at this point. I had even went to a TNA event when RVD was there was backstage at our hometown, got autographs and met with my namesake Ric Flair, Scott Steiner, Bubba Ray, RVD, Jeff Hardy, AJ Styles, fast forward to just 2 years later, and they couldn't draw 300 fans, hell ECW sold out the same damn arena, WCW sold out the same arena but TNA couldn't draw 300 fans...

its a matter of time and I think its time to turn off the ventilator and let TNA go where it belongs buried because honestly they fucked around with their main event guys for so long no takes Somoa Joe or anyone else relevant anymore

Why pull the plug when when guys like Corgan are not going to get that shot, Roh is not going get that shot, and Jarret's promotion is still up in the air. This would be an awful time for tna to die. The only way I would accept tna dieing off is if it merged with jarret's promotion.

Tna should die because of another promotion will get an opportunity that they still will not get anyways. Then those main event guys are going to more screwed over. They will be putting five star matches on the indy scene and then get called worthless for it. The indy scene has a taint to it because of anti-indy has grown so much that if you have a great match on the indies you are worthless and useless because of that great match.

Wrestling is in a screwed up stage where putting on a good match means you are worthless to many fans, a shame it really is.
Tna needs to stay in business, yes they I understand you don't like it, but just because it is has a bad product, does not mean it should go under. Tna's death would do everyone expect wwe a lot of harm.

As always, it's the things we don't know that determine what's going to happen in these matters. Presuming that WWE coming to Spike isn't a factor, I've always wondered how satisfied Spike has truly been with TNA's performance. Yes, we've read that they're "thrilled" with 1.0 ratings, but what else are they going to tell us: "They'd better get higher ratings damn quick or we're getting rid of them?"

Of course not, but I wouldn't be surprised if their entire association has been predicated on the idea that ratings would increase over time, which they haven't. Yes, plenty of people on this forum constantly tell us that ratings don't matter, and they're right when it comes to the ultimate profitability and viability of the company.....but you'd better believe TV ratings matter to Spike TV.

It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall at meetings between the network and the sports entertainment company in determining how the former really feels about the latter.....WWE or not.

I think you said it yourself. "They will not be relevant at all in the indy scene"
I'm of the opinion that if you can't make it in the indies then you're not going to make it on the big stages. I'm in no way an indie mark, I couldn't tell you half of what goes on in the indies in the last 2 years but it's true. TNA has lost its spark but it's still in a semi good place, it's better to let it die with a small amount of dignity than later when it has nothing left.

Ratings today are so skewed to begin with. With DVR, Internet Streaming, and people watching shows on mobile devices. The days of having that little black box hooked to your TV for a month is next to useless. Sure advertisers still rely on ratings since that's where their money comes from.

As for Spike, I don't they they do their part in promoting TNA. In fact, they suck. How many times during one of their many Star Wars marathons, or other "reality" tv shows do you see any previews for Impact? None. Look at all the great shows Impact has had since BFG, yet ratings have pretty much been in that same .8 - 1.2 range. Only TNA's core audience is tuning in. Everyone knows Raw is on Monday nights since they've been on for over 20 years, and USA actually promotes the show more.

If I was Dixie, I'd jump at a chance to go over to a network that promotes wrestling, and not use it for stupid MMA shows, or trashy reality shows.

On a side note, I really don't get all this hype for Jarrett's new promotion. If TNA, and even ROH are barely relevant, how the hell is Jarrett's promotion going to be any different. Especially since he's starting out with no-names nobody has heard of.

I read TBS is possibly looking to get back into the wrestling business

Do you have a link for this?

Man . . . if TNA gets involved with Ted Turner. That would be an amazing time for the wrestling fan/business.

Country Fried Pro Wrestling ( :lmao: Jarrett)

WWE

ROH (AMC is looking to get into pro wrestling, so if they don't land WWE or TNA, this could be a possibility)

AAA

and a Turner fueled TNA?

All on TV?

Then again, I may be jumping the gun because I'm sure Turner isn't THAT involved in the day to day operations and whoever is in charge now might not care about wrestling as much as Turner did.

As for Spike, I don't they they do their part in promoting TNA. In fact, they suck. How many times during one of their many Star Wars marathons, or other "reality" tv shows do you see any previews for Impact? None. Look at all the great shows Impact has had since BFG, yet ratings have pretty much been in that same .8 - 1.2 range. Only TNA's core audience is tuning in. Everyone knows Raw is on Monday nights since they've been on for over 20 years, and USA actually promotes the show more.

If I was Dixie, I'd jump at a chance to go over to a network that promotes wrestling, and not use it for stupid MMA shows, or trashy reality shows.

To be fair, TNA doesn't do a good job themselves either.

I've never seen a TNA commercial that wasn't a local advertisement for a house show coming up.

On top of that, they don't do enough to make themselves seem culturally important.

For example: I personally found out about the WWE through it's video games. I borrowed one in 5th Grade from my friend near the end of the school year, he never asked for it back, and by the beginning of the next school year I was hooked.

Same thing with it's toys. It's been a while since I've regularly watched channels like Nick, Cartoon Network, etc. so I may be wrong on this, but you will always see a WWE toy commercial on there. I've never seen a TNA toy commercial. This may seem like a little thing, but hooking the kid on a video game or action figure may spawn them to become lifelong fans, like it did for me.

TNA doesn't market itself.

I take all TNA rumors with a grain of salt until something concrete is reported. Since TNA debuted with their weekly PPVs, there have always been rumors that the company is going under. It hasn't happened yet and people are still speculating. It is apparent that TNA has money problems with big names like Styles and Sting leaving, no doubt. As long as TNA can keep some of their core talents around[Roode, Storm, Eric Young, Samoa Joe, Daniels, etc] they should be able to get by. If TNA ever loses a TV deal and cannot find another network then I might be inclined to believe the rumors that TNA is ending.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back