iIt's Official: Ronda Rousey Joins WWE

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
Unless you've been living under a rock since about 10 minutes past 11 pm last night, then you're aware that Ronda Rousey has officially signed a deal with WWE. Rousey came out after the women's Royal Rumble match concluded and while Asuka, Charlotte Flair and Alexa Bliss were all in the ring.

Unlike Shinsuke Nakamura, who won the men's Royal Rumble match earlier in the night, we didn't find out who Asuka will choose to face at WrestleMania. Rousey came out before any sort of decision could be made or announced and walked up to Asuka to shake her hand, only for Asuka to slap her hand away.

The obvious questions are going to be in regards to the terms of her deal, how often we'll see her and what the plan for WrestleMania is. Rousey put out a statement on ESPN saying:

This is my life now. First priority on my timeline for the next several years. This is not a smash-and-grab; this is not a publicity stunt. When I first met with Triple H, I told him, ‘There are other things I can do with my time that’ll make way more money, but I won’t enjoy nearly as much. It’s funny — it’s kind of like acting, in that it was something I always wanted to do but I never thought was in the cards for me. And now that I realize I really do have this opportunity, I feel like my 6-year-old self would totally kick my ass if I didn’t take it.”

I'm wondering if she'll be used similarly to Brock Lesnar in that she gets rolled out for special events or if it'll be closer to a full time gig. Don't get me wrong, I highly doubt that Ronda Rousey will be wrestling anything approaching a full time schedule in WWE and I think it'll be more along the lines of seeing her wrestle 4 or 5 times out of the year. As for their WrestleMania plans for her, my guess is that she'll have a title shot against whomever Asuka doesn't choose.

There are pros and cons to either choice when you think about it. If Asuka chooses to face Charlotte Flair, then the first thought in your head will be something along the lines of Alexia Bliss might as well just hand Ronda Rousey the Raw Women's Championship and forego a match in the first place. Ain't nobody, and good ol' JH means nobody, buying into the notion of Alexa Bliss beating Ronda Rousey. If Asuka chooses to face Alexa Bliss, this puts Ronda Rousey on SmackDown Live and it's extremely difficult to imagine Ronda Rousey not being on Raw because that's THE show in WWE and probably always will be. Charlotte Flair vs. Ronda Rousey sounds more appealing to me personally but, then again, so does Charlotte Flair vs. Asuka.

I posted something about this in the LD last night. Charlotte vs. Rousey as so much more appeal than Bliss vs. Rousey, but I can't just see them putting her on Smackdown. They always put their biggest draws and special attractions on RAW, and Rousey is the epitome of a huge draw and great attraction.

Maybe they can have her appear on both shows until she makes a decision on who she wants to face sometime in March but I don't know what her schedule is like with her movie or if that's even doable.

Something that they COULD DO is... they could put the RAW Women's Championship on either Asuka or Rousey before Mania and have Asuka/Rousey be the match at Mania. (Asuka slapping Rousey's hand away probably didn't happen for no reason). IF they went that route, I think it'd be more likely for Rousey to get the belt. There would be a precedent for Asuka asking for her match before WrestleMania, I know Cena did it in 2008... and I'm pretty sure it happened a time or two before that as well. But I think the chances of that happening are slim considering that since this is uncharted territory for the women, they probably want the Rumble winner to go the traditional route to WrestleMania and challenge the champion.

I questioned what she could do in a professional wrestling atmosphere but boy she is a natural. Her pointing at the WM sign was downright scary good.

That being said I'm curious about so much here even beyond what she is capable of doing. What is she really gonna do? How often will we see her? You would think that she is going to follow up last night with an appearance tonight but I haven't seen it promoted. I would imagine that she would bring in a bigger ratings pop than last week's Raw 25. Does she get physical before Mania? In a match? Is she getting Asuka, Bliss, or Charlotte? Do they put her in a multi woman or special type match to protect her? Is she really full time? What does full time even mean? She clearly has other stuff going on. Was the point of Sasha seemingly playing a heel last night so that Rousey can have a starter feud before WM with someone that can carry her to a presentable match?

And most importantly, was that really Hot Rod's leather jacket?

With Elimination Chamber being a RAW exclusive this time round, there's every possibility that Asuka or Rousey win the RAW Women's Championship before Mania. At this point, I believe Asuka vs Rousey has way more appeal than Bliss vs Asuka, Charlotte vs Rousey, Rousey vs Bliss and Charlotte vs Asuka. The match can be hard hitting with shoot style strikes and throws and has way more going for itself in terms of a major Wrestlemania match.

Dagger Dias will think that I am having a go at his girlfriend, Asuka, since any comment I make about her, he sees as "racist".

I think that they should hold off Asuka v Rhonda for a while, maybe a year. In that time, have both dominate, and remain undefeated, as I believe that it will be Rhonda Rousey who will end Asuka's streak, and be the only one to do it and not cop heat from NXT fans who never want Asuka's streak to end.

But Asuka has only been on RAW for a few months. Let her beat a few of the RAW Divas roster, and then feed her to Rhonda, when ending Asuka's streak is a much bigger deal.

Am I the only one that thinks that Rousey is gonna suck at the beginning? They are putting her in a position to fail if you ask me. Whoever they put her up against at WM or even Elimination Chamber would have to carry the match without question. I just think it's WAAAAAY to soon to put her in such a spotlight. I get it, she's a HUGE draw and she has MMA experience, but this isn't the UFC and there is a lot more to this then just going forward and using an arm bar submission.

I know that Charlotte vs Ronda is a big hit, but I don't like it. Not yet. Why should Ronda face Charlotte at WM? It's early for that match. So, Ronda faces Flair, she has to win right? It's her first Wrestlemania, she's a big deal, she's supposed to be special. So you bring her in, you have to make her a champion.

And that's the reason I don't like the idea. If Ronda has a championship match at WM, she has to win! So, have her do something else at Wrestlemania instead. That way you have 3 women's matches: the 2 championship matches and 1 Rousey match.

WWE's biggest draws right now are: Sasha, Nia Jax, Bayley, Bliss, Asuka, Charlotte, Becky, Nikki and Rousey. Quite frankly, I have no idea how you fit all of them on the show.

From what they showed us, Ronda vs Flair will happen. The camera was zooming in on Charlotte all the time.

I think they should hold a women's battle royal at WM as well. I know that two battle royals are too much, but there's talent in there that deserves to be on the show. Then they'll have Ronda vs Flair and Asuka challenging for the RAW WC (I don't think she's getting Alexa Bliss though).

I think we're getting: Charlotte vs Rousey and Banks vs Asuka.

I thought it was quite obvious she will be facing Steph at Mania. Her reaction when she shook her hand told that story.

The matches I took from the WRR was Banks v Bailey, Asuka v Bliss/Rousey, Nikki v Flair and possibly Trish v Mickey. If Asuka does indeed get Bliss Rousey would then have Steph.
I know it seems like a lot of women's matches for mania but they're pushing the crap out the women's division and all but Rousey v Steph could be good matches.

I think that she's come out and said "This is my life..." means she will be as full time as the other girls... whether you see her wrestle every week or not I'm not sure, but the reality is the only way she will improve IS to do it... She's not in Brock's position where he had that previous run full time to build his experience and then come back deserving the part-time role.

You won't see her every RAW or SD, but I think for the first year she will stay a "free agent" and when they next do the draft that's when they commit her to a side. That way she can wrestle the two shows and different opponents over her first 6 months or so... even the odd dark match as its all practice...

The only downside is you know whoever she faces in the first few months are gonna all be squashed. She's come off losses in UFC so she has to have some wins or a "mini" streak to at least make a match with Charlotte or Asuka works.

Best thing is, sadly, have her squash Alexa and take the title in the next few weeks before EC and show up on SD to challenge Charlotte, that annoys Asuka as she now has had her honor inslted etc... Charlotte can stick her nose in on RAW and of course Alexa deserves her rematch.

Mania... Fatal Fourway for BOTH titles like they did with Benoit/Angle and Jericho works well... have Asuka and Ronda both win a title in the same match - if you want to really save Charlotte/Ronda then have Carmella cash in THEN lose to Ronda... Asuka on RAW, Ronda on SD... you can then have the Charlotte feud and she'll be around Becky and Naomi who will be better teachers and build to Asuka v Ronda next year.

They really cheapened the Women's rumble last night. They should have let Asuka bask in the glory of making history. But, NOOOOOOOOO, they have to take a dump on their own hyped up event by bringing up a "pop culture icon" to steal the thunder. Ronda Rousey has ZERO experience as a PROFESSIONAL WRESTLER. Sure, she has charisma. so did Enzo Amore. Did you want Amore in the Main Event at WrestleMania? Rousey is going to be botch city. The fact that some people on this thread are saying that they ahould put Rousey with someone that can get a "good match out of her" is saying a lot. So, I still stand by what I have been saying: If WWE and Rousay are REALLY serious about this, and in Rousey in the long haul, they will send her to NXT. Let her learn the ART of Professional Wrestling the RIGHT way. Otherwise, everything they built up over the last couple of years will be for nothing.

They really cheapened the Women's rumble last night. They should have let Asuka bask in the glory of making history. But, NOOOOOOOOO, they have to take a dump on their own hyped up event by bringing up a "pop culture icon" to steal the thunder. Ronda Rousey has ZERO experience as a PROFESSIONAL WRESTLER. Sure, she has charisma. so did Enzo Amore. Did you want Amore in the Main Event at WrestleMania? Rousey is going to be botch city. The fact that some people on this thread are saying that they ahould put Rousey with someone that can get a "good match out of her" is saying a lot. So, I still stand by what I have been saying: If WWE and Rousay are REALLY serious about this, and in Rousey in the long haul, they will send her to NXT. Let her learn the ART of Professional Wrestling the RIGHT way. Otherwise, everything they built up over the last couple of years will be for nothing.

This is a very "smarky" attitude for the lack of a better term. Rousey's appeal is not "professional wrestling". Outside of Hollywood, she might be the biggest female personality across the world, and even though her stocks have fallen after her losses in UFC, she's still a huge crowd puller. A smart businessman will put her front and center, and that's what WWE has done. Whether she learns the "art" of wrestling or not matters squat. At this very point, she may just turn out to be a bigger draw than Brock Lesnar. She is a legit fighter. She can run through the entire female roster in WWE and nobody will bat an eyelid. If WWE wants female wrestling to be a legit draw, she might just be the answer.

And most importantly, was that really Hot Rod's leather jacket?

It was.

From all accounts including her own testimony, she is a real deal pro wrestler now. That said, I hope they keep her limited, at least for the first year, so as to keep her special. As with all things, seeing her will become rather normal in time, but lets keep it special for as long as possible.

if she is as all-in as she says she is, her level of work ethic and drive to become better wont be an issue at all. If this is full-on, she has every bit of potential to become a great.

This is a very "smarky" attitude for the lack of a better term. Rousey's appeal is not "professional wrestling". Outside of Hollywood, she might be the biggest female personality across the world, and even though her stocks have fallen after her losses in UFC, she's still a huge crowd puller. A smart businessman will put her front and center, and that's what WWE has done. Whether she learns the "art" of wrestling or not matters squat. At this very point, she may just turn out to be a bigger draw than Brock Lesnar. She is a legit fighter. She can run through the entire female roster in WWE and nobody will bat an eyelid. If WWE wants female wrestling to be a legit draw, she might just be the answer.

The first thing you learn in this business is "Trust"." - Al Snow

"First, protect the business. Then, protect your partner." - The Original Sheik

You say that any smart businessman would put someone "front and center". Yes, in things where you do not have simulated physical contact. If you were a firefighter, would you want someone untrained in fighting fires run into that burning building with you? Of course not. Firefighters know that their lives are in each others hands. Same with a professional wrestler. His/her life is in his/her opponents hands. This is NOT MMA where your job is to defeat someone physically. Pro Wrestling is a simulated fighting sequence. You need to know how to take bumps and strikes WITHOUT getting yourself killed. People train for years in the art of Professional Wrestling. Rousey NEEDS to learn how to perform the ART of professional wrestling.

Lesnar, with all his NCAA Championships, went through OVW. Why can't Rousey go through NXT?

You say that any smart businessman would put someone "front and center". Yes, in things where you do not have simulated physical contact. If you were a firefighter, would you want someone untrained in fighting fires run into that burning building with you? Of course not. Firefighters know that their lives are in each others hands. Same with a professional wrestler. His/her life is in his/her opponents hands. This is NOT MMA where your job is to defeat someone physically. Pro Wrestling is a simulated fighting sequence. You need to know how to take bumps and strikes WITHOUT getting yourself killed. People train for years in the art of Professional Wrestling. Rousey NEEDS to learn how to perform the ART of professional wrestling.

Lesnar, with all his NCAA Championships, went through OVW. Why can't Rousey go through NXT?

Well there is a difference between putting her out there for 35 minute Steamboat-Flair recreations and putting her out there to mow through people like a demigod.

I think its pretty damn obvious which one WWE will go with.

She has already been training day and day out at the PC for months and will keep doing so up to Mania. It will be more than enough to have her ready for a 3 minute execution, which is what she will be doing for at least her first year.

She already hopped in the ring and flipped Triple H head over tea kettle. He was perfectly fine. You know it takes two right? Just as much depends on the more experienced girls protecting themselves as it does Rousey.

This is far from the first time that someone green with star power was carried by more experienced workers.

New report states that:

Rousey will face HHH and Stephanie in a mixed tag match at Wrestlemania. This will be her first match. They are thinking about pairing her with Strowman.

And I'm totally fine with that.

i'm sure she will translate easily in terms of in ring work. We will see personality wise.. Hopefully, she is full-time or somewhat consistent with her WWE schedule than the part timers.

Unfortunately, They are a couple of years too late. She is still an attraction, but she was white hot at one point..she was one of the biggest names in the sports world..Those days are gone though.

As has already been mentioned, there's talk that Rousey might be involved in a mixed tag team match at WrestleMania against Triple H and Stephanie McMahon.

Under normal circumstances, I'd hate this idea because it'll mean that we'll see a lot of Stephanie during WrestleMania season. However, while Rousey has been training for months, putting her in a match like this, a match that's primarily just a spectacle and showcase, as her first one might be the best way to go. We know she has the it factor, that's long since been established, but she's green and putting her in a Women's Championship match for WrestleMania is almost certainly gonna have some smarks bitching and moaning about her taking someone else's spot. To be fair though, it's an argument that has merit to it because taking such prime spots during the biggest show of the year has been one of the biggest arguments against part timers or special attractions for years and we still don't really know how Rousey's deal is set up. I mean, she's been signed to a "full time" deal, but does that mean something akin to a full schedule? Will she wrestle at every ppv? Just the original big four? Will she sometimes wrestle on TV? This is all stuff that'll be revealed in the coming weeks.

Word is that Rousey has been training at the PC for months. So, you can get over this idea of sending the biggest female box office attraction to a financially unsuccessful operation that is NXT.

She has to get the belt, in my opinion. She is the biggest draw they have. Give her the title.

Rousey signed a full-time deal which suggests we'll be seeing her week-to-week like everyone else. She likely won't be wrestling regularly until after WM, but she's definitely not a part-timer.

Putting her on the main roster straight away is the right move. She's simply too big of a name to go through NXT and her star has already faded. It'd be stupid to let it fade further down at Full Sail. Use her fame to bring even more eyeballs to WWE's vastly improved women's division while her iron still has heat. If she proves to have a Kurt Angle-esque knack for the business, even better.

I'm excited to see what Rousey can do. I'm not an MMA fan so I've never seen any of her fights outside of random highlights. But her legit love of wrestling combined with her athleticism and charisma (she's got a GREAT serious glare) could be the recipe for something great.

Also, she should probably drop the Piper motif sooner than later as it'll likely rub some fans the wrong way.

Not likely as she's trademarking it... Most fans will get it, they just have to show a few vignettes about how legit close she and Roddy were... it's telling she had his real jacket from the family etc. The downside is the fake Angle/Jordan stuff may have turned some fans off, to think it's a fake connection.

I don't see a problem as long as they don't try to make out she's related to him in some way...which let's face it WWE are known to do from time to time.

At the end of the day, if Piper's family are cool with her "continuing" the Rowdy name/logo (let's face it, they're getting a cut) then no fan should have any comment whatsoever. I am sure Roddy would have liked Colton to be able to do it one day but as he can't, I doubt he'd be anything other than happy to see Ronda do it.

I'm familiar with Piper and Ronda's connection, not so much that's she trademarking it. I agree with you, though, that if WWE establishes that relationship then it should be fine.

It helps that Ronda looks damn good in that jacket.

Right now, i think it's great that she sign a full time deal with WWE. She loves wrestling and it's a great way for WWE to get mainstream coverage since she's still kind of a big deal in the sports world. Having said that, right now, she really should show up on TV every week, use her only when you truly need her and let her train because she going into this with no experience whatsoever and pro wrestling is really hard to learn from scratch. So limit her appearance for a while. Maybe use her for selective live events so that she can get some sort of groove going and learn how to react in the ring without having the world watch her on PPV or TV.

If what was reported is true and her first match at mania is a mix tag match against HHH and Stephanie, i feel it's a great way to have her start, mostly because the guys can do most of the work and Rousey could just throw around stephanie and she won't be exposing her lack of wrestling experience right away.

but the most important thing is to not use her on TV every week, she need to be protected and feel like a special attraction, the more you see her on TV the less value she will have as a performer. The one thing you don'T want to do with her is make her feel like just another wrestler in the eyes of the fans because has soon as this happens, she not worth keeping around. So if they use her as a special attraction like they do with Brock Lesnar, they can actually have a good run with her and make some money with this but that all depends of how they want to use her.

I think Ronda needs to be paired with Paul Heyman. She needs a strong character to help her learn the ropes whilst really getting stuck into the WWE.

Leaving her to do her thing solo is the worst thing that they could do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back