Jake the Snake Roberts' Character

Moneyinc

Occasional Pre-Show
Escape From New York (1984) is one of my favorite films. I can't help but wonder if Jake the Snake Roberts WWF character circa 1990 was influenced by Snake Plissken from Escape from NY. Jake took on a similar type of attitude. One thing that made me really wonder was the eye patch that Jake the Snake was wearing at the 1990 Survivor Series I believe it was. Jake the Snake also wears sort of similar pants as Plissken.

Anyone know anything about this? Just coincidence?

I think it's just coincidence. The eye patch Jake was wearing was because Rick 'The Model' Martel sprayed him in the face with his Arrogance cologne

Roberts did up his game on the mic and character wise around 1990, it was the DiBiase feud that was kind of a lightning rod for him, if you watch that Wrestlemania 6 promo (which many consider in the top 3 ever) you can see that's the point all the pieces came together for him. Prior to that his feuds had great potential but never really lived up to the hype, Honky Tonk Man was a forgettable match and the Andre match was an abortion.

The only time it ever really worked was against Rick Rude and even then, Jake never really seemed to get anything from it as it was Rude who got pushed to the IC title. After that though Jake's off screen demons and issues with Vince (he had been "promised" a spot on creative that he never got, hence him holding up Vince at Mania 8 for his release) clouded things for him and he never lived up to that potential. Jake also suffered from the "gimmick wrestler's curse". Anyone with a physical gimmick (snake bag, nightstick, shears etc) would have had to lose that gimmick to have a belt and the belt would not be sufficient replacement. If Jake had had a belt, he'd have had to parade it and that would have taken Damien out of the mix or make things too convoluted.

As for the Snake Plisken analogy, I don't really see it, Jake never played an anti-hero, he came in heel, became a stand-up face and then went out and out heel again. Steve Austin was clearly similar, but when Jake went heel against Savage, it was more of a Nicholson Joker or Hannibal Lector vibe rather than Snake Plisken.

It's funny, I've always thought that Jake's entrance theme sounded like something out of Escape From New York but I've never thought the two characters were similar though. THTRobtaylor pretty much said it, he's like Austin in that they were both anti-heroes, which Jake has never played.

As for the Snake Plisken analogy, I don't really see it, Jake never played an anti-hero, he came in heel, became a stand-up face and then went out and out heel again. Steve Austin was clearly similar, but when Jake went heel against Savage, it was more of a Nicholson Joker or Hannibal Lector vibe rather than Snake Plisken.

I agree with this last part, to me Jake's best role was as a pretty darn vicious heel. I'd try to compare to a more recent one but no one I can think of at the moment quite matches Jake's grasp of pure evil and doing bad things because they love to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back